Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir (17270 Views)

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran War Memoir / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 27, 2012
Renowned Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has published his long-awaited memoir, There Was a Country, about the brutal three-year Biafran war.

He acted as roving cultural ambassador for Biafra when the south-eastern area tried to split from Nigeria in 1967.

For more than 40 years he has remained silent about his war experiences.

One of Africa's best known authors, Mr Achebe's debut 1958 novel Things Fall Apart has sold more than 10 million copies.

It has been translated into more than 50 languages and focuses on the traditions of Igbo society and the clash between Western and traditional values.

'Birth pangs'
The prizing-winning 81-year-old author and academic has written more than 20 works - some fiercely critical of politicians and a failure of leadership in Nigeria.

Chinua Achebe lives in the US following a car accident in 1990
But he has never addressed the atrocities of the Biafran war, in which he was caught up with his young family - except occasionally in his poetry.

More than one million people died during the conflict in fighting and from famine - photographs of starving children from Biafra became synonymous in the media with the conflict.

"There Was a Country is a distillation of vivid observation and considered research and reflection," Mr Achebe's UK publisher Allen Lane says.

"It relates Nigeria's birth pangs in the context of Achebe's own development as a man and a writer, and examines the role of the artist in times of war."

Mr Achebe has lived in the US since he suffered a car accident in 1990, which left him paralysed and in a wheelchair.

The memoir is published in the UK on Thursday and is due to be released in Nigeria shortly and in the US on 11 October, AFP news agency reports.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=38272

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by ACM10: 12:26pm On Sep 27, 2012
I can't wait to grab a copy of the latest memoir from our erudite professor.

8 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Chanchit: 12:36pm On Sep 27, 2012
Gbauuuum....! The sound of Biafra bomb still dey circulate inside baba brain.

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:01pm On Sep 27, 2012
[quote author=ACM10]I can't wait to grab a copy of the latest memoir from our erudite professor. [/quote

I need ten copies of that book. My children must read it,too.

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Afam4eva(m): 2:07pm On Sep 27, 2012
I can't wait to grab my own copy...
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by MrGlobe(m): 2:11pm On Sep 27, 2012
Best seller right here.

btw sir, there is still that country.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by chosen04(f): 2:18pm On Sep 27, 2012
Why not release it on Nov.5 to the cursed entity?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Whitehorse: 4:11pm On Sep 27, 2012
I pre ordered the book here in the UK from Amazon UK and it arrived my house 2 days ago. Got two copies, giving one away to an inlaw.

This morning, i scanned page 156 that talked about the "Ogbunigwe" (interpreted "Mass Killer") and how it put the fear of the devil in Nigerian Soldiers. Said Nigerian soldiers actually started putting cattle ahead of them to take the explosions.

I'm sure it will make an interesting read.

10 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Whitehorse: 4:13pm On Sep 27, 2012
chosen04:

Why not release it on Nov.5 to the cursed entity?

Why the hatred? I recommend you read the book, even if for expanding your horizons. Books do that, you know...

9 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:33pm On Sep 27, 2012
Whitehorse: I pre ordered the book here in the UK from Amazon UK and it arrived my house 2 days ago. Got two copies, giving one away to an inlaw.

This morning, i scanned page 156 that talked about the "Ogbunigwe" (interpreted "Mass Killer"wink and how it put the fear of the devil in Nigerian Soldiers. Said Nigerian soldiers actually started putting cattle ahead of them to take the explosions.

I'm sure it will make an interesting read.

^^^Well, that's one hassle-free way of making suya in the thick of battle....that's if you don't mind your meat a bit burnt!

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
Can't wait to have a copy! It must be an interesting book for most of us who didn't witness the war.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by bittyend(m): 4:56pm On Sep 27, 2012
BBC Africa analyst Martin Plaut says Achebe's memoir is filled with sadness - sadness at the deaths of so many of his fellow countrymen and sadness too at the fate that has befallen Nigeria.

He portrays the Nigerian government as ruthless in its suppression of the rebellion, our correspondent says.

Mr Achebe's UK publisher Allen Lane says: "There Was a Country is a distillation of vivid observation and considered research and reflection."

"It relates Nigeria's birth pangs in the context of Achebe's own development as a man and a writer, and examines the role of the artist in times of war."

Achebe ends the book with a poem: 'After a war.'

"After a war life catches desperately at passing hints of normality like vines entwining a hollow twig; its famished roots close on rubble and every piece of broken glass."

Mr Achebe has lived in the US since he suffered a car accident in 1990, which left him paralysed and in a wheelchair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/19742303

Got this from BBC.

God bless Biafra!

God bless Remoland!

God damn Nigger-area!

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Tos87(m): 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2012
It will be fun...wished Ţ☹•◦ have a copy.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by bittyend(m): 4:58pm On Sep 27, 2012
I shall lead my people from Remoland(Iperu Remo) in a brutal war against Nigeria. The country needs to be balkanized. cool
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by BlackPikiN(m): 5:02pm On Sep 27, 2012
Renowned Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has published his long-awaited memoir, There Was a Country, about the brutal three-year Biafran war.

He acted as roving cultural ambassador for Biafra when the south-eastern area tried to split from Nigeria in 1967.

For more than 40 years he has remained silent about his war experiences.

One of Africa's best known authors, Mr Achebe's debut 1958 novel Things Fall Apart has sold more than 10 million copies.

It has been translated into more than 50 languages and focuses on the traditions of Igbo society and the clash between Western and traditional values.

'Birth pangs'
Continue reading the main story
Analysis

Martin Plaut

BBC World Service Africa editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a memoir filled with sadness - sadness at the deaths of so many of his fellow countrymen and sadness too at the fate that has befallen Nigeria.

The book begins by recalling the coup and counter-coup that left Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and the Northern premier, Sir Ahmadu Bello dead.

Thousands of Igbo people were killed in retaliation. At the end of May 1967, Biafra declared independence and there was a rapid descent into war.

Achebe portrays the Nigerian government as ruthless in its suppression of the rebellion.

A statement is attributed to Chief Obafemi Awolowo which summarises this attitude: 'All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder.'

Soon images of malnourished children filled the international press. Achebe accuses the United Nations of following Nigeria's lead, and standing idly by as Biafra was crushed. As Achebe puts it: "You see we, the little people of the world, are ever expendable."

The author writes movingly about the final days in January 1970: "In the end, Biafra collapsed. We simply had to turn around and find a way to keep those people still there alive. It was a desperate situation with so many children in need, kwashiorkor rampant, and thousand perishing every week... some people said: 'Let's go into the forest and continue the struggle.'

"That would have been suicidal and I don't think anybody should commit suicide."
The prizing-winning 81-year-old author and academic has written more than 20 works - some fiercely critical of politicians and a failure of leadership in Nigeria.

But he has never addressed the atrocities of the Biafran war, in which he was caught up with his young family - except occasionally in his poetry.

More than one million people died during the conflict in fighting and from famine - photographs of starving children from Biafra became synonymous in the media with the conflict.

BBC Africa analyst Martin Plaut says Achebe's memoir is filled with sadness - sadness at the deaths of so many of his fellow countrymen and sadness too at the fate that has befallen Nigeria.

He portrays the Nigerian government as ruthless in its suppression of the rebellion, our correspondent says.

Mr Achebe's UK publisher Allen Lane says: "There Was a Country is a distillation of vivid observation and considered research and reflection."

Achebe ends the book with a poem: 'After a war.'

"After a war life catches desperately at passing hints of normality like vines entwining a hollow twig; its famished roots close on rubble and every piece of broken glass."

The memoir is published in the UK on Thursday and is due to be released in Nigeria shortly and in the US on 11 October, AFP news agency reports.

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by a1solution: 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2012
what is the cost the book at amazon?
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by aryzgreat: 5:10pm On Sep 27, 2012
May God grant Pa Achebe longer live! Amen
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 27, 2012
This book can not change the fact that every Igbo youth should channel his mind to sentiments and sophistications to be able to fit into the new world order, rise up brothers,

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by bittyend(m): 5:13pm On Sep 27, 2012
Achebe portrays the Nigerian government as ruthless in its suppression of the rebellion.

A statement is attributed to Chief Obafemi Awolowo which summarises this attitude: 'All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder.'

Soon images of malnourished children filled the international press. Achebe accuses the United Nations of following Nigeria's lead, and standing idly by as Biafra was crushed. As Achebe puts it: "You see we, the little people of the world, are ever expendable."

The author writes movingly about the final days in January 1970: "In the end, Biafra collapsed. We simply had to turn around and find a way to keep those people still there alive. It was a desperate situation with so many children in need, kwashiorkor rampant, and thousand perishing every week... some people said: 'Let's go into the forest and continue the struggle.'

Holy shiit, Chief Obafemi Awolowo was GANGSTAR! So educated, intelligent, brilliant; yet he kept it gangstar to his grave. It's a world of kill, or be killed; and everything is fair in a war. Vicious world, I tell ya. More reason why I keep it gangstar as well, it's the survival of fittest doctrine that controls the conscious/knowledgeable minds. Death before dishonour and act before acted upon, phuck what everyone thinks, you don't owe no one shiiit. Merry making after war, but when it's on, it's on.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo reminds me of myself. Brutal, gangstar, ghetto, shrewd, and vicious; yet still standing among the best in the corporate world.

Pity and survival don't mix like two dycks; survive first, and feel pity later.

Long live Biafra!

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2012
Can't wait to get a copy
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Antivirus92(m): 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2012
I will 30 copies of the book from the great chinua Achebe.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Antivirus92(m): 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2012
I will buy 30 copies of the book from the great chinua Achebe.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by mallorca(m): 5:20pm On Sep 27, 2012
Time will tell
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by achinu(m): 5:22pm On Sep 27, 2012
Should make a great read and I am looking forward to grabbing a couple of copies.....
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Claus(m): 5:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
bittyend:

Holy shiit, Chief Obafemi Awolowo was GANGSTAR! So educated, intelligent, brilliant; yet he kept it gangstar to his grave. It's a world of kill, or be killed; and everything is fair in a war. Vicious world, I tell ya. More reason why I keep it gangstar as well, it's the survival of fittest doctrine that controls the conscious/knowledgeable minds. Death before dishonour and act before acted upon, phuck what everyone thinks, you don't owe no one shiiit. Merry making after war, but when it's on, it's on.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo reminds me of myself. Brutal, gangstar, ghetto, shrewd, and vicious; yet still standing among the best in the corporate world.

Pity and survival don't mix like two dycks; survive first, and feel pity later.

Long live Biafra!

That wasn't gangster at all o! Remember this was supposed to be a war between brothers, a war to "unify" Nigeria and eventually bring everyone together. In that context, "starvation (as) a legitimate weapon of war" was very cruel.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by idowuswap: 5:26pm On Sep 27, 2012
Igbo has started thier nuisancical act again that's hausa kill them like fowl.even thier agbari ojukwu abi na agbari socket run 500 mitre.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by taharqa: 5:33pm On Sep 27, 2012
I ma get my copy asap. Any work by Achebe is always pleasurable in its artistry and educative in its - Achebe been a master in the balance bw the message and the arts....perhaps, it may also further define my 'Igboness', my identity even if dont think it wud EVER be sympathic of the idea of ' the rising sun' . Fiercely Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by kingingkinging: 5:34pm On Sep 27, 2012
Claus:

That wasn't gangster at all o! Remember this was supposed to be a war between brothers, a war to "unify" Nigeria and eventually bring everyone together. In that context, "starvation (as) a legitimate weapon of war" was very cruel.

Pls what do u mean by war between brothers? War with grenades, guns, bombs, machine guns, etc. Sorry o. Until they finish you and declare we are the winners.

The quoted guy said the truth. It was about the survival of the fittest-Charlse Darwin. RIP the sage-Chief Obafemi Awolowo(GCFR) , he won it for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Chanchit: 5:34pm On Sep 27, 2012
Even people wei no go buy the pirated copy sef dey talk say them go buy 100 copies.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aduke / My Days As An OAU Fresher - True Life Story / Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.