Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,784 members, 7,798,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss (6512 Views)

Analysts Brace For Blackberry To Post Worst Quarterly Sales In 9 Years / Apple posts the biggest quarterly profit in history / Airtel Quarterly Blackberry Internet Subscription (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by matrixx(m): 10:26pm On Sep 27, 2012

Montreal - BlackBerry maker Research in Motion said Thursday it lost $235m in the past quarter, in better-than-expected results that prompted a surge in its stock price.

In the quarter that ended September 1, the Canadian-based firm posted its third consecutive loss, although not as bad as analysts had forecast, as the company struggled to keep pace in the fast-changing smartphone market.

The loss translates to 27 cents a share excluding special items, which was not as bad as Wall Street estimates of a loss of 46 cents per share. RIM shares, which have slumped to multi-year lows, rallied some 18% in after-hours trade

"Despite the significant changes we are implementing across the organisation, our second quarter results demonstrate that RIM is progressing on its financial and operational commitments during this major transition," said Thorsten Heins, president and chief executive of the Ontario-based firm.

Heins said the BlackBerry 10 platform, which aims to revamp the smartphone to compete with the likes of Apple's iPhone and Google-based Android devices, "is on track to launch in the first calendar quarter of 2013."

BlackBerry 10 had been set to launch in late 2012, but RIM announced a delay earlier this year that prompted grim predictions for the company.

RIM said revenues in the fiscal second quarter rose 2% from the prior quarter to $2.9bn, a figure some 31% lower than a year earlier.

RIM said it shipped 7.4 million BlackBerry smartphones in the period and 130 000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.

The company's global subscriber base rose to 80 million and the company's cash position edged up to $2.3bn.

"Carriers and developers are responding well to previews of our upcoming BlackBerry 10 platform," Heins said. "Make no mistake about it, we understand that we have much more work to do, but we are making the organisational changes to drive improvements across the company."

Still, RIM's statement warned "that there will be continued pressure on operating results for the remainder of the fiscal year based on the increasing competitive environment, lower handset volumes, increased marketing expense associated with the launch of BlackBerry 10."

The company is also planning a campaign "to aggressively drive sales of BlackBerry 7" before the launch of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones, which will mean an "operating loss" in the third quarter of fiscal 2013.

Industry analyst Jeff Kagan said RIM has fallen to third place in the smartphone market with around 10% market share, compared with more than 50% for Android and Apple's 34%, and needs a major overhaul to regain traction.

"Right now RIM is like our dear old Grandpa. We love him, we respect him, he was so important to us, but now he is just getting very old and everything is passing him by," Kagan said.

"BlackBerry 10 cannot be just another new product from the old company. This should be launched as a breakthrough product and a breakthrough remake of the company."

Analyst Colin Gillis at BGC Partners said it was positive to see RIM gain customers but that the challenge was to "increase subscribers while maintaining a level of pricing that allows for profitability."

While BlackBerry awaits the new platform, "there is still an ample room in the market in our view for RIM's current products if they were properly positioned" as entry-level devices and priced below $200, Gillis added.

http://www.fin24.com/Companies/ICT/BlackBerry-maker-posts-235m-loss-20120928
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by matrixx(m): 11:01pm On Sep 27, 2012
Frontpage pls.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by KazaaUpload: 12:00am On Sep 28, 2012
Yes another quarter loss.
Basically, the only place the phone is selling now is in Africa and a few countries in Asia. On Tuesday a news story even said that Nigeria and South Africa are its main target markets now and that 50% of smartphones in Nigeria are Blackberry. While that is great news for Nigerians it isn't good news for RIM because these tend to be cheap handsets, pre-pay and not those locked into contracts like in developed world....to survive they need strong sales in the developed markets where profit margins are higher. Before the Naija BB fanboys jump on here saying with their love for BB, remember that These are hard facts, no matter how much you love your BlackBerry the simple fact is that the rest of the world doesn't any more.

In the USA, Blackberry market share is now 5%, with the iPhone in the lead followed by Samsung. Similar story in the UK and Europe. That is the reason why blackberry is in such a terrible position. Blackberry added 2million subscribers in the last 3 months. And most of those as I said were cheaper phones in developed world. Apple sold 5million iPhones in ONE WEEKEND! And even that was low because they ran into supply problems. Samsung Galaxy s3 alone sold 10 million in 3 months. So that shows you the struggles that RIM have

Long run they will be okay. In terms of Operating system Android and Apple will still lead, with Microsoft and RIM fighting for third place. But Blackberry will still dominate in poorer countries such as Nigeria due to pinging, and the data bundles available.

8 Likes

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:14am On Sep 28, 2012
In short poverty is the reason blackberry still exists?

Figures

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Lowkeys(m): 8:23am On Sep 28, 2012
This is just the beginning!!! next year will be worst...
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by naijaswag1: 8:27am On Sep 28, 2012
Bold 5 should sale for 50k. I have always told people that Africa especially Nigeria doesn't contribute much to RIM. Nigerians use fairly used phones so it doesn't directly impart RIM.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by benzion72(m): 8:41am On Sep 28, 2012
People tend to forget history so soon. Apple was indebted to tune of Billion Dollar and was bailed out by Microsoft. As long as there server still serving us ride on. Most Nigerian Banks are declaring losses FBN share I bought for 30 Naira is less than 15 Naira. It is world economic phenomenon. It is even better to declare losses than need bail out.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 28, 2012
I am very sure they are working very hard to develope a tool that can resurrect their failing product, i hope they do that before iPhone 5 starts having second hand use grin

1 Like

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by TonySpike: 8:46am On Sep 28, 2012
benzion72: People tend to forget history so soon. Apple was indebted to tune of Billion Dollar and was bailed out by Microsoft. As long as there server still serving us ride on. Most Nigerian Banks are declaring losses FBN share I bought for 30 Naira is less than 15 Naira. It is world economic phenomenon. It is even better to declare losses than need bail out.

Nice post, bro!
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Odinaka00(m): 8:50am On Sep 28, 2012
THIS SPACE IS FOR SALE

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Shaw007(m): 8:51am On Sep 28, 2012
USarmy: I am very sure they are working very hard to develope a tool that can resurrect their failing product, i hope they do that before iPhone 5 starts having second hand use grin
LOL!! . . .Nice point,cos its a lil bit xpensive most Nigerians don't use the Iphone. . .but if they start getting it handed-down,RIM shud 4get about Nigeria!!
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Ijebulogic(m): 8:51am On Sep 28, 2012
The problem with companies like RIM is they are limited in their exposure and understanding of markets outside their comfort zone (i.e the USA). Previous posters say that Africa isnt a big enough market to sustain Blackberry? I completely disagree. RIM has simply not developed a good enough strategy for Nigeria (Yet)...So far they have (finally) announced the opening of a Lagos office, because only a blind man would deny the potential of Blackberry in Africa. Let me state my reasons.
1. Nigeria alone has 160million people with an impressive teledensity of almost 75%. If RIM acquires just 10% of that market, the impact on its sales will be phenomenal
2. The Blackberry appeal is "pinging", free real time comms, which creates a chain effect. i.e. I must have a BB to communicate with another BB (the alternative Apps have some limitations). So RIM have a power-product with a multiplier effect..the only need to dock it properly in Africa.
3. There is a massive opportunity to do more reserach &development in the area of creating Apps customised for the Nigerian/African market. Apps are big money and RIM have ignored their african fan base in this regard for too long.
4. Finally, anyone who believes that an African market can not sustain a global business should see the financial statements of MTN and even more incredible - Guinness. FYI - Nigeria is the single highest contributor to Guinness global sales figures...even higher than Ireland the home of Guinness. RIM need to do what Guinness did, make the blackberry the ultimate symbol of communication for the Nigerian consumer. My two cents.

14 Likes

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 28, 2012
Like honestly,how does this affect 9ja's economy? Iphone 5 in U.S, samsung galaxy,microsoft and blackberry all trying to make the dollars.All Nigerians do is buy sets of expensive phones,jets and other uk used cheap phones.Why cant we learn this technologies in order to improve our own economy? Our continous patronage of these items is only helping to develop other people's economy. I guess we stil got a long way to go here. Very soon you wil see iphone 5 on the hands of every toms and harries in the country. Unfortunately you wil only find 1 new iphone 5 among 10 iphone 5 users. The 9 other are US,UK refurbished ones. Not to mention that they had to deny themselves their tuition fees,food allowance for a whole semester to afford the refurbished items. Niger 4 show

3 Likes

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Shaw007(m): 9:06am On Sep 28, 2012
Ijebulogic: The problem with companies like RIM is they are limited in their exposure and understanding of markets outside their comfort zone (i.e the USA). Previous posters say that Africa isnt a big enough market to sustain Blackberry? I completely disagree. RIM has simply not developed a good enough strategy for Nigeria (Yet)...So far they have (finally) announced the opening of a Lagos office, because only a blind man would deny the potential of Blackberry in Africa. Let me state my reasons.
1. Nigeria alone has 160million people with an impressive teledensity of almost 75%. If RIM acquires just 10% of that market, the impact on its sales will be phenomenal
2. The Blackberry appeal is "pinging", free real time comms, which creates a chain effect. i.e. I must have a BB to communicate with another BB (the alternative Apps have some limitations). So RIM have a power-product with a multiplier effect..the only need to dock it properly in Africa.
3. There is a massive opportunity to do more reserach &development in the area of creating Apps customised for the Nigerian/African market. Apps are big money and RIM have ignored their african fan base in this regard for too long.
4. Finally, anyone who believes that an African market can not sustain a global business should see the financial statements of MTN and even more incredible - Guinness. FYI - Nigeria is the single highest contributor to Guinness global sales figures...even higher than Ireland the home of Guinness. RIM need to do what Guinness did, make the blackberry the ultimate symbol of communication for the Nigerian consumer. My two cents.
well 1st off. . .u shudnt compare a smartphone company with Guiness or MTN,those are more of something u cannot do without,and u cannot get them already used(in d case of 2nd hand blackberries)

Now imagine apple having normal sales(with referrence 2 their present position) globally and just fairly below normal in Africa AND blackberry having normal sales in Africa and fairly below,globally.which do u think wud av higher sales and larger market base?? Do the maths. . .

The Only thing that can save them Now,is if they come out with a smartphone that can satisfy the touchscreen demand of Ppl,av a larger base of apps and games. . .and at the same time maintaining the communication set they already have!! Trust me,they'll knock iPhone and d andriods out of bussiness In no time

my point-a full touchscreen smartphone,the same(or maybe higher) application base as apple and android,plus communication(pinging) which wud give them an edge over competitors!! Is all they need,they'l roll up 2 number one in sales with reasonable margin!!
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 9:09am On Sep 28, 2012
even in ghana bb isnt common ,because there is no need for it ,mobile internet data is too cheap so why use a bb.the major reaon bb still sells in nigeris is due to the cheap internet acess it affords its users.ie in ghana here u get 250mb for just 4ghc a month on glo which is 400 naira but the last time i was home i was paying 500 for 50 mb on etisalat,that was when i thought it makes sense to buy a bb and use in nigeria than normal good smartphone.if the cost of mobile internet is reduced considerably in nigeria believe me ppl in naija will throw bb away and go for better mobile phones.nigerianslike to show off

1 Like

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by forkadict(m): 9:13am On Sep 28, 2012
KazaaUpload: Yes another quarter loss.
Basically, the only place the phone is selling now is in Africa and a few countries in Asia. On Tuesday a news story even said that Nigeria and South Africa are its main target markets now and that 50% of smartphones in Nigeria are Blackberry. While that is great news for Nigerians it isn't good news for RIM because these tend to be cheap handsets, pre-pay and not those locked into contracts like in developed world....to survive they need strong sales in the developed markets where profit margins are higher. Before the Naija BB fanboys jump on here saying with their love for BB, remember that These are hard facts, no matter how much you love your BlackBerry the simple fact is that the rest of the world doesn't any more.

In the USA, Blackberry market share is now 5%, with the iPhone in the lead followed by Samsung. Similar story in the UK and Europe. That is the reason why blackberry is in such a terrible position. Blackberry added 2million subscribers in the last 3 months. And most of those as I said were cheaper phones in developed world. Apple sold 5million iPhones in ONE WEEKEND! And even that was low because they ran into supply problems. Samsung Galaxy s3 alone sold 10 million in 3 months. So that shows you the struggles that RIM have

Long run they will be okay. In terms of Operating system Android and Apple will still lead, with Microsoft and RIM fighting for third place. But Blackberry will still dominate in poorer countries such as Nigeria due to pinging, and the data bundles available.

SO FORKING ON POINT!
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 28, 2012
But with an increase in share price.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by forkadict(m): 9:25am On Sep 28, 2012
So Blackberry don dey face survival issues. No wonder when i hear say dem don get Linda Ikeji application for BB, i dey ask myself say na which kind nonsense be dat? Na Linda Ikeji application remain? where better applications dey wey dem suppose do? I no know say their major market na for naija and that they are barely struggling to survive.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by ZUBY77(m): 9:29am On Sep 28, 2012
They should invest the ones they have elsewhere. Nothing shines forever.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 9:34am On Sep 28, 2012
i think the question is what drive the mobile phone market ,is it cost,design or applications ?the new iphone cost a lot yet it got sold out .what do ppl actuall want from their phone
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 28, 2012
BB 10 I hope will change things for them
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by buJu234: 9:35am On Sep 28, 2012
how will they make money from sales... when 90% of BB users in Nigeria are all using 2nd handed BB...

mean while the US guys are discarding BB for Iphone
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 9:37am On Sep 28, 2012
blink182: BB 10 I hope will change things for them
maany market analyst dont shar that optimism,they believe it is coming too late
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Dondbuzor: 9:39am On Sep 28, 2012
Shut up there! Always quick to compare naija with ghana with fake info and statistics.
Airtel has 1g data for just N1400. And stop displaying ur ignorance in a public forum.

onatisi: even in ghana bb isnt common ,because there is no need for it ,mobile internet data is too cheap so why use a bb.the major reaon bb still sells in nigeris is due to the cheap internet acess it affords its users.ie in ghana here u get 250mb for just 4ghc a month on glo which is 400 naira but the last time i was home i was paying 500 for 50 mb on etisalat,that was when i thought it makes sense to buy a bb and use in nigeria than normal good smartphone.if the cost of mobile internet is reduced considerably in nigeria believe me ppl in naija will throw bb away and go for better mobile phones.nigerianslike to show off
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Cyberknight: 9:42am On Sep 28, 2012
As usual we are playing catch up with technologies that have already "reigned" and gone out of fashion in the developed world. That's why the Blackberrry is popular here, but when it was really in vogue in the developed world in the early 2000's MTN,Econet them no get the technology to offer it. The BlackBerry and RIM hit their peak about 10 years ago (2003 being RIM's best year) and have been declining ever since. Other smartphone makers have simply overtaken them. Technology is a very competitive world. You invent something today, start to sell it, and then everyone else copies you. It's that simple. All major makers leart from BlackBeryy, and offered push email on their handsets, messaging facitilties, document viewing and editing, etc, all the things that made the BlackBerry almost indispensable at one point in time. And the major drawback that RIM has, which it has failed to correct, is simply that the BlackBerry cannot be used without a subscription to the Blackberry service, which is so restrictive in today's world. RIM, sit up. Time is passing you by.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by OmichaelO: 9:47am On Sep 28, 2012
Dondbuzor: Shut up there! Always quick to compare naija with ghana with fake info and statistics.
Airtel has 1g data for just N1400. And stop displaying ur ignorance in a public forum.

you should stop showing yours!!! The guy is talking 'bout normal internet plan not blackberry plan...Thank God airtel in our lifes(i use it too),if not 1400 will only get you 250mb...and thats like the fairest normal internet plan for now....not the so called bb plan we are using...
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 9:59am On Sep 28, 2012
Dondbuzor: Shut up there! Always quick to compare naija with ghana with fake info and statistics.

you are a bloody idiot ,who the hell is talking about airtel bb plans here if ur brain is too daft to reson why dont u allow other sensible reader and contributor to check the website of glo , u bloody mother forker.i am using glo and mtn here and even mtn is 200naiara for 60 mb plus added 30mb,u stupid bastard.olodo ,let ppl check the website of the companies and see and did i mention airtel .when did glo turn to airtel in ur eyes.you must be blind.arrongant slowpoke

1 Like

Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 10:05am On Sep 28, 2012
O.michael.O:
you should stop showing yours!!! The guy is talking 'bout normal internet plan not blackberry plan...Thank God airtel in our lifes(i use it too),if not 1400 will only get you 250mb...and thats like the fairest normal internet plan for now....not the so called bb plan we are using...
dont mind that arrogant fool,i was only saying that i found it too expensive to browse on mobile in nigeria,right now i have been online and the speed of mtn is fast enough for ,2ghc is not even enough for me to eat but it can buy me 60mb plus 50%added on top ,mtn has now even introduced 1gc for 25mb plus 12.5mb all for 100 naira ,if the same too can be done in nigeria NOBODY WILL GO NEAR BB AGAIN .that fool just came here to let ppl know say he dey use bb.ode oponu ,that guy is one of the fools that doesnt know that there are better phones than bb
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by Rudewaterz(m): 10:10am On Sep 28, 2012
ahahahahaha! Sorry guys, I just couldn't help but laugh when I read the headline. hahaahaa
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by BOLOSKY: 10:29am On Sep 28, 2012
Right now RIM is like our dear old Grandpa. We love him, we respect him, he was so important to us, but now he is just getting very old and everything is passing him by," Kagan said.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by ifecx4real: 11:01am On Sep 28, 2012
if i aint mistaken, i saw rim representatives in slot on monday, and also market survey was being done by their pr team, so i fink they are really looking @ nigerian market, plus news of dem opening ann office in nigeria by the end of next month.
Re: Blackberry Posts $235m Quarterly Loss by onatisi(m): 12:04pm On Sep 28, 2012
ifecx4real: if i aint mistaken, i saw rim representatives in slot on monday, and also market survey was being done by their pr team, so i fink they are really looking @ nigerian market, plus news of dem opening ann office in nigeria by the end of next month.
well the market is there for them , a nation of 160 million really poses a good prospect for rim

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get 100mb Wit Just #200 On MTN / Lots Of Ladies Will Pay For The Iphone 7 Through This Medium / Android Tv Boxes: Are They Worth Buying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.