Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? (1358 Views)

Was Adam Truly The First Man On Earth? / Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? / Must You Respond To An Altar Call To Be Truly Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by djeezy(m): 8:57am On Sep 30, 2012
Can there be an ethics without Religion? Is it possible for someone to be truly ethical without being religious? If it is not possible, then a further question would be: since different religions sometimes practice conflicting ethics, which religion would be used as the real foundation for ethics? Mature contributions needed, no tantrums and derailing please. Happy Sunday to y'all.
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by mkmyers45(m): 9:45am On Sep 30, 2012
Yes, it is..Infact the most unselfish and truly dignified moralist are actually people who are either irreligious or who's beliefs arent tied down to a god...ethics can based solely on human faculties such as logic, reason or moral intuition, and not derived from purported supernatural revelation or guidance
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by Areaboy2(m): 9:48am On Sep 30, 2012
Simple answer to your question is a resounding YES! we can be ethical without religion (or as the popular debate "we can be moral without religion" )

From your logic, you can see why this is true. Every religion has one or two things that conflict with the other while conflicting with what we deem right or wrong.

Take the Abrahamic religions for example. It calls for the killing of homosexuals, encourages misogyny and slavery. Today we mostly disregard those texts, Why? Simply because we have inbuilt morality in us to judge those texts and deem them inadequate or out-rightly wrong.

So yea, we are our own moral compass and not any religious text/teaching. The realisation of this will make us responsible for our own actions and not hide underneath the seemingly evil/sadist cloak that is religion
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by manmustwac(m): 10:04am On Sep 30, 2012
Of course its possible. Look at the atheist uruaguayan president as an example who donates 90% of his salary to charity. Do you believe any Christian Pastor can donate 90% of his tithes to a muslim charity or a muslim cleric to donate 90% of his money to a christian charity?
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by Callotti: 11:06am On Sep 30, 2012
All yeses so far.
Yes!We are all ethical beings. . .with moral relativity.
No religion needed.
What might be ethical to one person. . .might not be to others.
It then becomes a matter of choice. . .not agreement.
As long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. . . heck yeah! kiss
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:40am On Sep 30, 2012
Well, Nigerians have and still do manage to be religious without being ethical. If you need proof of this, just look at the Nigerian situation. So therefore, the other way around has to be also a real possibility.
djeezy: Can there be an ethics without Religion? Is it possible for someone to be truly ethical without being religious? If it is not possible, then a further question would be: since different religions sometimes practice conflicting ethics, which religion would be used as the real foundation for ethics? Mature contributions needed, no tantrums and derailing please. Happy Sunday to y'all.
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by MacDaddy01: 1:36pm On Sep 30, 2012
Where are the christians? lol.

Are they too afraid to lose their faith because if they answer "yes", their religion becomes unnecessary?
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 30, 2012
Ofcourse. A great example is my sister and i.
She speaks in tongues, does all the rolling on the floor trash, goes to church every single day, is even a very important leader in her church; yet she still dresses lustfully ,is atimes rude to our parents and gossips about them, lies willfully, is addicted to watching fashion shows, watching movies, and listening to songs she claims to be illuminatti.
I will never forget the day she used the money she could have paid what she owed me to replace her less than a week old hair which nothing was wrong with. When i sent her a text politely demanding for the money, citing her being a christian as a reason she got so dramatic and that night she tried to strangle me. I'm guessing it was the holyspirit working in her, since christians prefer violence to gentleness as they mention and proclaim it more.

I on the other hand i am detestful of lustful dressing: i believe it has alot of negative side effects in the society. I also detest lying and prefer watching documentaries that teach u something meaningful. I am utterly disgusted by violence and disorderliness.
On the whole i satisfy my conscience atleast 80 percent of the time while christians could and do always justify their wrong doing with some scripture in the bible.

From all I have written I hope u have gained something: RELIGION AND ETHICS HAVE ALMOST NOTHING IN COMMON.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by wiegraf: 8:30am On Oct 01, 2012
Heh heh, op, who do you has the right to that silly holier than thou atitude? The one who's holy because he fears a spanking, or the one who's holy despite a spanking?
Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Be Truly Ethical Without Being Religious? by okeyxyz(m): 4:27pm On Oct 01, 2012
Ethics is a system of morals imposed on individuals either by law, religion, codes of conduct, or some other authority. So, there are other authorities besides religion. Simply YES!!

(1) (Reply)

50 Biblical Reasons Why Jesus Died For Us / 11 Ways To Receive The Holy Spirit As Per The Bible / Church Of Satan Opened In Ukraine (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.