Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:33 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (201048 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:42pm On Oct 02, 2012
shymexx: This naptu2 guy stays ignoring my questions... If you pride yourself on being a student of Nigerian history, educate others and stop ignoring the questions... That's something neither kats nor Chief Negro_nts would have done..

- What happened to the state house in Marina?

- And who are the Idejo family?

Hey sorry bro! I'm trying to rush to the end of this section and then answer all questions, but people and events keep interrupting me and preventing me from posting. Some of the questions would have been answered before I even get to the end of the section.

1) For example, I'm going to post a pic of State House Marina that I took not too long ago. In the last few weeks they've been ruining that beautiful edifice. It seems President Jonathan prefers Marina to Dodan Barracks, so they're putting up a barbed wire fence and other security features that have ruined aesthetic beauty of that building/compound.

2) By tradition, the Idejo are the children of Olofin (one of Oduduwa's sons). Depending on which side you support, Lagos was either founded by Olofin or by Benin (I'm going to avoid that controversy).

By tradition, the various Idejo families own the land of Lagos. The Oba of Lagos (who came from Benin) owns no land apart from his palace (Iga Idungaran).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:43pm On Oct 02, 2012
Ishilove:
Are you quoting a source or this really happened to YOU? ?

Happened to me. I'll never forget that day.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 02, 2012
naptu2:

Hey sorry bro! I'm trying to rush to the end of this section and then answer all questions, but people and events keep interrupting me and preventing me from posting. Some of the questions would have been answered before I even get to the end of the section.

1) For example, I'm going to post a pic of State House Marina that I took not too long ago. In the last few weeks they've been ruining that beautiful edifice. It seems President Jonathan prefers Marina to Dodan Barracks, so they're putting up a barbed wire fence and other security features that have ruined aesthetic beauty of that building/compound.

2) By tradition, the Idejo are the children of Olofin (one of Oduduwa's sons). Depending on which side you support, Lagos was either founded by Olofin or by Benin (I'm going to avoid that controversy).

By tradition, the various Idejo families own the land of Lagos. The Oba of Lagos (who came from Benin) owns no land apart from his palace (Iga Idungaran).

Thanks brother...

The state house in Marina looks like a smaller White House... I hope they preserve that beautiful edifice...

As for the Idejo family, I just wanted a little clarification because I read somehwere that both the Oniru and Onikoyi thrones have Ijebu ancestry...
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:08pm On Oct 02, 2012
shymexx:

Thanks brother...

The state house in Marina looks like a smaller White House... I hope they preserve that beautiful edifice...

As for the Idejo family, I just wanted a little clarification because I read somehwere that both the Oniru and Onikoyi thrones have Ijebu ancestry...

To the best of my knowledge, most of the ijebus in Lagos are in the Ikorodu area. However, I should be able to ask one of the Onirus on saturday and give you a better reply.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:10pm On Oct 02, 2012
General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (President and Commander in Chief) and Lieutenant General Sani Abacha (Minister of Defence). Behind them is Hamza Al-Mustapha.

The assault on Dodan Barracks was in two phases. First, several Tanks deployed on the grounds were technically demobilized through the removal of firing pins. Later, the assault on the main living quarters (using infantry and two armored vehicles from the radio station driven by 2/Lts Umukoro and Uchendu) began.

Earlier, when certain movements were noticed, the ADC to the President, Lt. Col Usman K. Bello came out to investigate. Without any supporting crew, he reportedly tried to climb into one of the Tanks which, unknown to him, had already been disabled. Having realized that he was in no position to use the Tank he came out, and tried walking alone, wearing mufti, toward the radio station, only to be summarily shot in circumstances that have never been fully clarified.

The details of what really transpired at the State House have since become a source of minor controversy. During an interview with the Vanguard on Sunday Feb 25, 2001, General Babangida (rtd) was quoted as saying: "I had a routine and I went up, I was just about dozing when my wife said something was happening and from my window I saw it all. I wasn't frightened. I was a soldier and I took my rightful place on that fateful day. It was, however, my wife and children who found the whole incident horrifying. .."I have been at the war front and I know what it means. I have escaped a lot of ambushes. In fact, there are a lot of pellets in my body. What I have gone through in life has toughened my heart. So, there is no question of fear, in fact it doesn't come in..".

More recently, General Babangida revealed on Galaxy Television, Ibadan that one Captain Kassim Omowa insisted on him leaving or being evacuated from Dodan Barracks. He is quoted as saying: "Omowa insisted that he would fly me out. But on each mention, I told him no because he was too junior to command me......But the young man said: "I am here to do my job. So I must move you out of this place."

According to Babangida, Omowa evacuated him via a secret channel to a location (ostensibly a private residence in Surulere) "where I was for some days while the heat remained."

Flag Staff House in Ikoyi, Lagos, (now called Defence House) had traditionally always been the official residence of the GOC, Nigerian Army and later the Chief of Army Staff. However, when he added the title of Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff to his Army title, Lt. Gen. Sani Abacha held on to the residence. This was the position when the coup plotters struck in the early hours of the morning of Sunday, April 22, 1990.

As was his usual nocturnal practice Lt. General Sani Abacha was wide awake but busy with extra-curricular rest and recreational activities at a guesthouse nearby. Thus, when the plotters (led by one Lt. Ogboru of Military Police, then a Law student at Uniben) arrived at his official residence he was not available. A quick follow-up check at his nearby guesthouse (which they were aware of) was unproductive because although they fired heavily upon the guards and building they did not do a room-to-room mopping up operation. Abacha was inside, alive and well. This lack of close quarter follow-up probably saved his life - and the regime.

The late Abacha's first son (the late Ibrahim) is rumored to have driven to find his father at the guesthouse once the plotters left. With mayhem around him, Abacha reportedly deliberated calmly for about 10 minutes, calmly got dressed and emerged (in mufti) with two Uzi submachine guns - one of which he handed over to his son whom he noticed was carrying a "mere" pistol. Thereafter, Abacha ordered his son to sit in front as the driver of a civil Peugeot 504 while, he, Sani, the Army chief, sat as the right side front seat passenger. Two security operatives occupied the back seats. Then, in what was clearly an extremely dicey move, Abacha ordered his son to drive back to the Flag Staff House where Abacha gave orders to secure the perimeter. At that point he knew that the plotters had not cut off telephone lines nor had they disrupted nationwide army signals networks, so he began making phone calls to other service chiefs and more specifically, Army commanders in Lagos (particularly Bonny Camp and Ikeja Cantonment) and other parts of the country to get information, alert those who were ignorant of unfolding events, convince those who thought he had been neutralized that he wasn't, and secure pledges of loyalty. Like a pilgrimage, officers later began trooping to the Flag Staff House to account for themselves and declare loyalty. Once fairly confident of the localized nature of the threat, he then gave firm orders that the coup was to be resisted at all costs. There is word that some officers specifically sought confirmation about Babangida's state of health before clearly committing themselves to Abacha's destiny in those tense and uncertain early hours. Others simply ran away or lay low.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:12pm On Oct 02, 2012
Chief MKO Abiola & Dr Nelson Mandela

Former South African President, Dr. Nelson Mandela, on Saturday night in
Abuja dedicated his Pan African Broadcast Heritage Award (PABHA) to the
memory of the acclaimed winner of the annulled June 12, 1993 Presidential
election Chief M.K.O. Abiola, whom he described as a great Nigerian.

Mandela, who was represented by the South African President, Mr. Thabo
Mbeki, currently on a visit to Nigeria, described how he first came into
contact with the Abiola.

He said President Ibrahim Babangida sent Abiola to mediate and talk to
Mandela to reconcile with a sworn enemy of the African National Congress
(ANC), who then was working against the interest of the party's success
at the poll.

Mbeki did not name the "sworn enemy" of the ANC, but said the late
politician had since become their friend. He said when Abiola arrived,
he (Mbeki) tried to get the message from Babangida, but refused,
insisting that he must deliver the message to Mandela personally. Mbeki
said he then took Abiola to Mandela to personally deliver Babangida's
message.

Mbeki said Abiola later told a story of the black ant to describe how
dangerous the "sworn enemy" was to the ANC.

He said though the black ant was small, it could wreak much havoc if it
had access to one's clothing. He quoted Abiola as saying that it was
easier to take care of the black ant than to allow it to wreak havoc.

The South African President explained that the message from Abiola made
the ANC reconcile with the "sworn enemy".

"the bigger the head, the bigger the headache". Chief MKO Abiola.

"you cannot shave a head in the absence of its owner and any such attempt is an exercise in futility". Chief MKO Abiola

"power is like a tiger, if you ride a tiger, you must be very careful when you get down, otherwise you find yourself inside the tiger's belly". Chief MKO Abiola

"Anyone afraid of death cannot claim his father's title and once you have claimed your father's title, you have become the object of envy of all the members of the family, many of who will pray for your early demise to provide a vacancy for them". Chief MKO Abiola
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:16pm On Oct 02, 2012
President Ibrahim Babangida and Chief MKO Abiola

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:18pm On Oct 02, 2012
Professor Humphrey Nwosu. Chairman, National Electoral Commission (NEC)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:27pm On Oct 02, 2012
Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola casts his vote (June 12 1993).

The NTA had a series of special programmes during the election season. On election day they had the spokesmen of the two political parties on the show. The NRC spokesman condemned Chief Abiola for breaking the law banning campaigning and display of party symbols on election day, especially at the voting centres by wearing that attire (the SDP symbol was a white horse on a green background). He demanded that Chief Abiola should be disqualified.

The SDP spokesman, Jonathan Zwingina, said that he couldn't understand what the NRC spokesman was talking about, because, if you look closely, you'll realise that that's a unicorn on Chief Abiola's agbada, not a horse. I laughed so hard I fell off my chair.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 9:29pm On Oct 02, 2012
ehie: soyinka stayed a year plus in solitary confinement,would have driven a sane man mad,he was a great fighter,deserves a medal,men were men then
His book 'The Man died' was based on his experience in prison and solitary confinement
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:47pm On Oct 02, 2012
Ishilove:
Reports have come out where claims are being made that the PM who was asthmatic died of an asthma attack when he was still in custody. Witnesses and some participants with a crisis of conscience claim his body was relatively intact and devoid of any external injury or trauma when it was discovered.

So who do we believe now?

We won't be able to say exactly what happened because we were not there, but Chief Mathew Tawo Mbu who put forward the asthma theory heard the story from someone who heard the story. The people who compiled the police report interrogated the people who took these actions (Ifeajuna et al). Adewale Ademoyega, who also stated that the PM was shot was detained in the same prison with his good friend Ifeajuna.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 11:07pm On Oct 02, 2012
naptu2:

We won't be able to say exactly what happened because we were not there, but Chief Mathew Tawo Mbu who put forward the asthma theory heard the story from someone who heard the story. The people who compiled the police report interrogated the people who took these actions (Ifeajuna et al). Adewale Ademoyega, who also stated that the PM was shot was detained in the same prison with his good friend Ifeajuna.
Hmmm, interesting...
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 11:08pm On Oct 02, 2012
This thread really should be on the front page.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 11:56pm On Oct 02, 2012
1993 Presidential debate between Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola and Alhaji Bashir Othman Tofa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPiFHzSi5X4

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 11:59pm On Oct 02, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:01am On Oct 03, 2012
Admiral Augustus Aikhomu (Chief of General Staff 1986-1991, Vice President 1991-1993)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:03am On Oct 03, 2012
Maryam Babangida (First Lady)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:06am On Oct 03, 2012
President Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:09am On Oct 03, 2012
Chief Ernest Shonekan (Chairman, Interim National Government)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:13am On Oct 03, 2012
General Sani Abacha (Head of State and Commander in Chief)

On November 17, 1993, General Sani Abacha, Secretary for Defence and Vice Chairman, ousted Chief Ernest Shonekan, then Chairman of the 82-day-old Interim National Government (ING), in order "to save Nigeria from imminent disintegration.”

It happened quickly and in broad daylight. All relevant military units and conspirators in Lagos, Abuja and Kaduna were quietly placed on alert. Under protective cover provided by a detachment of the National Guard led by Colonel Lawan Gwadabe, three very senior officers, motivated by different instincts and with no consensus on what would happen thereafter, flew to Abuja from Lagos. They calmly walked into Shonekan’s office at the Presidential Villa and asked that he resign. These officers were General Sani Abacha (Defence Secretary), Lt. General Oladipo Diya (Chief of Defence Staff), and Lt. Gen. Aliyu Mohammed Gusau (Chief of Army Staff). Shonekan, the former United African Company (UAC) Executive, never had operational control of the Armed Forces during his controversial tenure. He wisely chose not to resist.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by dasparrow: 4:11am On Oct 03, 2012
@Post

Very educative thread. Good job naptu2.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by esere826: 4:36am On Oct 03, 2012
naptu2:

Why don't our scientists do some simple genetic tests to confirm the Benin yoruba controversy on their obas?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:14am On Oct 03, 2012
esere826:

Why don't our scientists do some simple genetic tests to confirm the Benin yoruba controversy on their obas

The controversy is not about the origin of the Oba. There are many variations on the story, but let me quickly give two accounts, just to make things clearer.

1) (Lagos version) Olofin, an Awori from Isheri, who is also believed to be a son of Oduduwa founded Lagos. He and his sons founded a fisherman cooperative society called Aladejo, or Idejo for short. He made Ashipa, a yoruba man with a Benin wife, mediator between his quarrelling children. When Ashipa died, Olofin invited Addo, the son of Ashipa, to return from Benin to take up the role (after the quarrel between Olofin and the Oba of Benin had been resolved). The Idejo gave him land, a disused pepper farm, on which he built his house (Iga Idungaran - Palace on a pepper farm). When the Europeans arrived, they mistook the wealthy mediator (Oba of Lagos) for the king.

2) (Benin version): Oba Orhogbua of Benin had established a war camp (Eko) as a base for raids against Dahomey. He placed a viceroy, Aisikahienbore, over Lagos. When the viceroyy died, Edo, his son, succeeded him. The Oba had imprisoned Olofin (who originally lived on the land) in Benin. The Oba later released Olofin after Olofin promised to obey the viceroy. The yoruba corrupted both names to Ashipa and Ado.

These are just two versions of the story. There are more. However, all the stories agree on some basic facts. (1) The Oba of Lagos came from Benin. (2) The Idejo are awori descendants of Oduduwa. (3) The Oba of Lagos owns no land, except for the palace (Iga Idungaran). The Idejo own the land of Lagos (Onikoyi owns Ikoyi, Ojora owns Ijora, Oniru own Iru [Victoria Island+Maroko], etc).

Usually, when there's a war in Lagos, the war chiefs, who came from Benin with the Oba would stay and fight, while the Idejo would retire to their lands. The dual nature of the origin of Lagos has caused a lot of controversy in the past. Some chiefs have declared that the Oba has only limited authority over them, either because (1) they were also kings in Benin (eg Obanikoro), or (2) because they see the Oba as being merely a mediator.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:19am On Oct 03, 2012
General Sani Abacha & Chief MKO Abiola (Behind them is Lt. Gen. Donaldson Oladipo Diya)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:22am On Oct 03, 2012

In the wee hours of the morning, on Jan 2nd 1994, hundreds of heavily armed soldiers, policemen & SSS agents stormed the academy press in Lagos to seize all copies of Tell magazine that were there. Security agents had earlier raided Tell’s offices. They seized computers & other office equipment and about 50,000 copies of the magazine.

Academy press offices remained shut throughout the day. Newspapers, such as the Punch, that were printed at Academy press were not on the newsstands that day.

However, somehow, Tell magazine appeared on the newsstands (with the same front page headline story that the government was trying to suppress). They even ran an editorial criticising the actions of the government.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:25am On Oct 03, 2012
Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa

Saro-Wiwa: “You know I have a high court injunction restraining you from infringing my fundamental human rights. It’s not as it was in the past. Now, before you arrest me, you have to produce a warrant. You can’t just barge into my office or tap me on the shoulder on the highway or at the airport and expect me to follow you. Do you have a warrant of arrest”?

SSS agent: “We haven’t come to arrest you. We’re only inviting you to the office”.

Saro-Wiwa: “To drink tea or have lunch”?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:27am On Oct 03, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by esere826: 5:39am On Oct 03, 2012
@naptu2

umhh. thanks
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:45am On Oct 03, 2012
General Olusegun Obasanjo

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:47am On Oct 03, 2012
Major General Shehu Musa Yar'Adua

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:49am On Oct 03, 2012
Chief MKO Abiola

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:51am On Oct 03, 2012
Alhaja Kudirat Abiola

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.