Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,503 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:44 PM

Pagan Origins Of Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pagan Origins Of Christianity (1558 Views)

Pagan Roots/origins Of Islam / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2012
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2012
^^^^I'm not here to talk about plagiarism of horus Christianity, but this video is interesting... grin

God help us all...
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Ptolomeus(m): 9:23pm On Oct 01, 2012
Catholic rituals: Christian or pagan?

In this article, dear reader, I want to make you my sense of surprise, as we study this issue and understand that most of the holidays, called Christian, pagan have a background and therefore no biblical justification.

After the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, Christians, Jewish tradition, only celebrating the Resurrection and Pentecost, as we reflected in the very Word of God: "For Paul had decided to spend ahead of Ephesus, by not stopping at Asia: for he hasted make the day of Pentecost, if he could, in Jerusalem "(Acts 20.16)," But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost "(1 Corinthians 16.cool. It was later, from the third century AD, when they begin to commemorate holidays, now we all know.

Overall, then wanted to assimilate Christianity, not in substance, but in form, the ancient pagan celebrations, including them in their rites, but realized that was impossible and that they walked away from the will of God wants his people to avoid contamination with the rituals of the world. As much as you change the names of pagan deities by names of "saints", "Virgin" or even the "Lord", the background was the same, as discussed below.

I will analyze, far above, some of the central holiday of Catholicism:

CHRISTMAS AND EPIPHANY

Until the fourth century of our era did not begin to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, but without specifying, by tradition a fixed date. So, there were two dates: December 25 and January 6. The first is to be instituted in the Western Roman Empire, while the second it was in the East. However, these dates are not chronologically with certainty the true birth date of Jesus Christ, but if you have a match with the pagan festivals of traditional religions, both Roman and Hellenistic (including Egypt).

Let's analyze them separately:

December 25: It was known in the Western empire as the winter solstice holiday, therefore a pagan cult. It celebrated the end of the shortening of the nights and the triumph of the "sun god", with lengthening of the day. It was between 324-325 D. C. when they decided their institution as Christian holiday, from the onset of winter commemorate the birth of the Savior.

Another important festival coincided in time and was celebrating the birth of Horus, or the resurrection of Osiris, born of a virgin (Isis) and remained a virgin after the birth, but this is the subject of another article.

Jan. 6: It was the commemoration date of the "Feast of Light" at this event celebrating the birth of the Sun, and in Alexandria, the night of 5 to 6 January recalled the birth of Time, Aion, with a torchlight procession to the temple of Korion. In the procession sang the following song "The virgin has given birth, the light increases, the Virgin has given the Light, the Aion". This cult passes and Greek culture throughout the empire ritualized Greek.

As for his Christianity, in the Eastern Empire, as at present in the Greek Orthodox religion, celebrating the birth of Jesus, while in the West establishing the feast of Epiphany or visitation of the Magi.

PARTY NAME OF THE LORD: ENMANUEL

This festival is celebrated on the first day of the year, coinciding with the classical pagan festival of the new year.

S.JOHN BAUTIST

Its celebration coincides with the summer solstice, ie June 24. This was one of the main days of pagan religions, the day of worship "sun god". It was a feast spread throughout the ancient world, based on the cult of Ra, the sun god for the Egyptians, whose deity was taken under different names by helena cultures, first, and then by the Romans.

The ritual was similar to today, in the night, the shortest of the year, which had lit fires to jump as an act of interior purification and liberation of sins and evil spirits. In his Christianization, obviously remains so; is applied to John the Baptist, the prophet who preached the baptism of repentance for sins.

EASTER

As Christmas parties, their commemoration begins in the fourth century D. C. and as it is also based on a pagan celebration, the worship of the god Attis, celebrating his death and subsequent resurrection.

Our Lord does not command us to remember his death and resurrection in a special way on a certain date, but if we take commemorate the sacrament

EASTER

The celebration of Easter is always celebrated on the first Sunday following the first full moon of spring, so changing character. Well, this event is similar to another Egyptian who held the same day, to commemorate the entrance of Osiris into the Moon.

FEAST OF 15 AUGUST

For Catholicism on this day we celebrate the ascension of Mary into heaven. This, like most of those who are analyzing here, no biblical basis, it is a tradition that until 1950 has not been the subject of dogma of Faith

As in all festivals pagan analyzed has a match, in mid-August was celebrated in ancient Greece and Rome, the cult of Hecate - Artemis - Diana, "Goddess of the Moon and Queen of Heaven", in order to prevent send storms that are so harmful to the crops at this time.

Local festivals

In all locations, both European and American, have always held local parties on behalf of a Marian devotion or a saint, patron of the town. This tradition has its background again pagan, since before the entry of the Christian faith as the official religion, the towns had a deity "patron" infuse them protection and of course, had their commemorations. So, as most of the festivities was Christianized removed the supposed protection of a pagan deity, from its supposed protection of a saint or Mary herself, in one of his many titles.

ALL SAINTS AND SOULS

On the eve of November 1 coincided with a holiday, pagan, Celtic, the "Samhein" feast marking the end of summer and harvest, to pass the days of cold and darkness. On that night it was believed that the god of death to return to the dead, allowing communicate well with their ancestors. Also this practice was common in the Roman people, as on February 21 celebrating the feast of "Feralia" helping with prayers for peace and rest of their dead.

In the Catholic tradition the festival begins when the "Pope" Boniface IV, 13 May 609 or 610, consecrated the "Pantheon" the cult of the "Virgin and martyrs", beginning a celebration to commemorate those saints anonymous, unknown to most of Christendom, but by faith and works, are worthy of recognition by all mankind.

Is Pope Gregory III (731-741) which changes the date of May 13 to November 1. And we know why, and make sure the conversion, at any cost, of these peoples, adopting pagan practices.

As you have read, there are clear reasons to reject such festivities, since none of them is based on the Word of God and therefore, this is pagan rites, that if Christianized, but Christian spiritual feeling.

I think what the Lord wants us to celebrate, if you happened to you, every man his Pentecost, ie birth again and give thanks daily for this great advent, for Christ dwells in us through His Spirit.

Source http://perso.wanadoo.es/fcomorillo/catolico/rituales.htm

Regards
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Ptolomeus(m): 10:19pm On Oct 01, 2012
Not only is the pagan origin as to the dates, but also in the services, clothing, and even art.

My respects.

Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by saintvc(m): 10:31pm On Oct 01, 2012
Plz change d title to pagan orign of some christian practice

2 Likes

Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by ciphoenix: 5:47pm On Oct 02, 2012
Do you mean origin of christianity or origin of catholicism. those holidays aren't christian in any way. Including the images

2 Likes

Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 02, 2012
ciphoenix: Do you mean origin of christianity or origin of catholicism. those holidays aren't christian in any way. Including the images

Thank You .
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Ptolomeus(m): 6:51pm On Oct 02, 2012
ciphoenix: Do you mean origin of christianity or origin of catholicism. those holidays aren't christian in any way. Including the images
Christianity is a division of Catholicism.
The various Pentecostal groups, not just happen, but are different sects of Christianity that broke off.
Thus the pagan origin of Catholicism, resulting in the pagan origins of Christianity.
You've seen a Christian pastor, removing a demon from a person? 5000 years ago, African traditional religion practices performed similar ...
Not only Christianity has pagan origins, but also Christianity.
On what date Christians commemorate the birth of Jesus?
It is absolutely proven that imposibe that Jesus was born on December 25 ...
I hope that is clear.
My respects!

2 Likes

Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by ciphoenix: 6:59pm On Oct 02, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Christianity is a division of Catholicism.
The various Pentecostal groups, not just happen, but are different sects of Christianity that broke off.
Thus the pagan origin of Catholicism, resulting in the pagan origins of Christianity.
You've seen a Christian pastor, removing a demon from a person? 5000 years ago, African traditional religion practices performed similar ...
Not only Christianity has pagan origins, but also Christianity.
On what date Christians commemorate the birth of Jesus?
It is absolutely proven that imposibe that Jesus was born on December 25 ...
I hope that is clear.
My respects!
correction. Christianity was before Catholicism the disciples whom Jesus left behind weren't Catholic, and they never celebrated any of those holidays. Catholicism actually was born after John, the last of the apostles died in the 2nd century C.E. And i never said the holidays were non pagan; they are, and true Christians shouldn't celebrate such. Much Respect
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Ptolomeus(m): 7:21pm On Oct 02, 2012
ciphoenix: correction. Christianity was before Catholicism the disciples whom Jesus left behind weren't Catholic, and they never celebrated any of those holidays. Catholicism actually was born after John, the last of the apostles died in the 2nd century C.E. And i never said the holidays were non pagan; they are, and true Christians shouldn't celebrate such. Much Respect
Correction.
After the death of Christ, the different Christian sects fought for supremacy. Who gets the priority is Catholicism. Completely disappeared Christian groups who were not Catholics, and were never organized.
Christianity as such, (and you know) is back to Catholicism.
Anyway, you remember those first "Christians" were totally divided, and many of these groups still practiced sacrifices of animals and people, according to what we know today as the Old Testament.
My greatest respect.
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by ciphoenix: 10:46pm On Oct 02, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Correction.
After the death of Christ, the different Christian sects fought for supremacy.
disorganization came after the last apostle died.
Who gets the priority is Catholicism. Completely disappeared Christian groups who were not Catholics, and were never organized.
Christianity as such, (and you know) is back to Catholicism.
Anyway, you remember those first "Christians" were totally divided, and many of these groups still practiced sacrifices of animals and people, according to what we know today as the Old Testament.
My greatest respect.
the first century christians never did this. They were organized having overseers who visited the individual congregations. Even the last book of the bible contain chapters directed to seven congregations at the time. They knew the mosaic law(which included animal sacrifices) was no longer in effect, else they wouldn't have believed in Jesus.
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by Ptolomeus(m): 10:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
ciphoenix: disorganization came after the last apostle died. the first century christians never did this. They were organized having overseers who visited the individual congregations. Even the last book of the bible contain chapters directed to seven congregations at the time. They knew the mosaic law(which included animal sacrifices) was no longer in effect, else they wouldn't have believed in Jesus.
Dear Friend.
It is not my interest to discuss.
The struggles between the various Christian groups was very hard.
There were no common concepts, not common liturgy ...
Not be considered a "Christian cult" to something that did not exist as such.
Who organized the "original Christianity" was the Catholic Church.
Can not be considered to Christians (followers of Christ) in the first century, as a religion.
I should clarify that I am not Catholic.
My respects.
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by plappville(f): 10:54pm On Oct 02, 2012
saintvc: Plz change d title to pagan orign of some christian practice

Surported!!
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by ciphoenix: 11:57pm On Oct 02, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dear Friend.
It is not my interest to discuss.
The struggles between the various Christian groups was very hard.
There were no common concepts, not common liturgy ...
Not be considered a "Christian cult" to something that did not exist as such.
Who organized the "original Christianity" was the Catholic Church.
Can not be considered to Christians (followers of Christ) in the first century, as a religion.
I should clarify that I am not Catholic.
My respects.
couldn't be more wrong. So Not True Sir
Re: Pagan Origins Of Christianity by mkmyers45(m): 12:12am On Oct 03, 2012
ciphoenix: couldn't be more wrong. So Not True Sir
Apart from the Authority of the 1C.E What other authority was there?

(1) (Reply)

Just Yesterday You Were A Baby! / Funny Church Posters / 100 Days Fasting(rccg) Begins Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.