Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze (18717 Views)

Fayose Hangs Out With Market Women In Ekiti (Photos) / Market Women In Rivers State Protest Nullification Of Wike's Election (photos) / Rochas Moves To Demolish HOT FM Radio,Re-allocates Dr.Njemanze's Properties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Sagamite(m): 5:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
dvee2: We must all speak out against this type of discrimination against women. I am not in support of prostitution,but the way a woman dress alone is not a criteria or justification for labelling a woman as soliciting for sex. Somebody must do something about this.

Why would anyone do something about this when majority of Nigerians are baboons and are seen and treated like baboons?

Do baboons need to live in civilised societies?

Let the juggle rules continue for the cretins jor!

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Okijajuju1(m): 6:18pm On Oct 02, 2012
[b]This is a result of BAD POLICY MAKING!! What makes a person a Prost[i]tute?! Is it their dressing?! Them standing on a lonely/dark street?! or is it them exchanging sex for money?!

Now from what I know, in civilized countries, a woman standing on a street corner, scantily dressed, chewing gum and bearing all the marks of a prost[i]tute cant be arrested for Prost[i]tution until she is caught in the act or it can be proven that she had intent to exchange money for s[e]x.. Which is why Police officers carry out sting operations where they drive into these neighbourhoods, call the girls over and bargain.. And all this is caught on camera to atleast get the intent (Mens Rea)..

But trust Naija, some idiot sleeps and wakes up, thinks up a foolish idea that basically infringes on the constitutional rights of Nigerians and without regard for the law goes ahead to enforce this injustice.. Thats why these crooks can randomly pick up any girl they feel like, r[a]pe and molest her and get away with it, because the door has been opened for it to take place.. How do these Nigerian ANTI-PROST[I]TUTION ENFORCEMENT officers determine a prost[i]tute from a typical Nigerian girl?! An actual pros[t]itute found hanging around on a street at night can only be arrested for loitering and not prost[i]tution..

Even sef, it should be female officers that should be the ones arresting prost[i]tutes not men..

Its things like this that makes me wonder if we are moving forward or backwards as a country! This is a gross violation of human rights.. Last time I checked, Nigeria didnt have a dress code for women and saying indecent dressing is a crime also bothers on suggestive interpretation.. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Afam4eva(m): 6:20pm On Oct 02, 2012
Okija_juju: [b]This is a result of BAD POLICY MAKING!! What makes a person a Prost[i]tute?! Is it their dressing?! Them standing on a lonely/dark street?! or is it them exchanging sex for money?!

Now from what I know, in civilized countries, a woman standing on a street corner, scantily dressed, chewing gum and bearing all the marks of a prost[i]tute cant be arrested for Prost[i]tution until she is caught in the act or it can be proven that she had intent to exchange money for s[e]x.. Which is why Police officers carry out sting operations where they drive into these neighbourhoods, call the girls over and bargain.. And all this is caught on camera to atleast get the intent (Mens Rea)..

But trust Naija, some idiot sleeps and wakes up, thinks up a foolish idea that basically infringes on the constitutional rights of Nigerians and without regard for the law goes ahead to enforce this injustice.. Thats why these crooks can randomly pick up any girl they feel like, r[a]pe and molest her and get away with it, because the door has been opened for it to take place.. How do these Nigerian ANTI-PROST[I]TUTION ENFORCEMENT officers determine a prost[i]tute from a typical Nigerian girl?! An actual pros[t]itute found hanging around on a street at night can only be arrested for loitering and not prost[i]tution..

Even sef, it should be female officers that should be the ones arresting prost[i]tutes not men..

Its things like this that makes me wonder if we are moving forward or backwards as a country! This is a gross violation of human rights.. Last time I checked, Nigeria didnt have a dress code for women and saying indecent dressing is a crime also bothers on suggestive interpretation.. [/b]
You're highly spot on.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Turbocharged: 6:30pm On Oct 02, 2012
subnormal:

Turbocharged, I once crashed my car and could give a proper account of what happened until after 24hrs. the lady in question may have been too traumatised to get all the details right first time and, i cannot stress this more, NO ONE DESERVES THAT KIND OF TREATMENT from law enforcement agents whose primary duty should be the protection of innocent citizens lovepeddler or not
For the bolded, you r only making assumption & forgetting to treat the facts that I presented.
Again you han out sympathy where it's not needed. Don't allow people to use ur brain just because they have access to the media. In investigations, you first ask questions b/4 assumptions.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Maranzano(m): 7:27pm On Oct 02, 2012
It is a pity if the lady was assaulted by law enforcement agents. This post is her side of the story. I hope her approach,dressing and attitude did not contribute to her experiece. It is impossible to distinguish a LovePeddler from a non prostitute by dressing nowadays. More innocent ladies may be victims if dress code is the yardstick used by the task force on prostitution in Abuja.Some overzealous men on uniform should also learn the ethics of law enforcement.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ArQueBusieR(m): 7:40pm On Oct 02, 2012
Legit1:

But they can fvck half of Liberian women during peace-keeping missions?
Huh?!
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by tenteepo(m): 7:41pm On Oct 02, 2012
May be you re almost nude.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by VolvoS60(m): 8:05pm On Oct 02, 2012
Gaggi:

My sympathies.

Again, it is impossible to see soldiers, police and man'o'war in a joint task force. It is an insult to the military. You won't even find a police and soldier task force except the JTF. We all know that JTF is a serious task force that wouldn't resort to such petty things.

Sir, you write as if the Nigerian military is some elite group of dedicated men prepared to give their all for flag and country. This is an illusion. There is nothing special about the Nigerian military. Nothing whatsoever. Both the rank & file and the officer corps are largely unprofessional and VERY undisciplined with no regard for the law where civilians are concerned. They are poorly trained and embody the worst stereotypes about soldiers being nothing but psychotic thugs given a rifle and a uniform after basic training and told by commanding officers to 'quench' civilians at the slightest provocation.

They have been indoctrinated to think they are a class apart whereas nothing could be further from the truth. And i say this based on over 2 decades of dealing with these people. Nigerians had better reconsider the so-called advantages of a standing army in peace time - an army which has been nothing but a drain on the public treasury for far too long.

We are waiting for the response of the authorities to the allegations made by miss njemanze. But with what I have seen of the Nigerian military, that would be asking for too much.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by wealth123: 10:15pm On Oct 02, 2012
Those who are in the habit of writing rubbish here should stop smoking weed if that is the cause of their actions. How can any sensible person justify the kind of brutality this lady went through? seriously i feel ashamed am in the same forum with these kind of people that should be in the zoo.

I feel so sorry for this country of ours. A country where vagabonds have the audacity to post in a forum meant for educated level headed people, poised for a better society.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Nobody: 3:20am On Oct 03, 2012
THIS THREAD HAS MADE ME REALIZE SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT ABOUT NIGERIANS. MANY PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE MOLESTATION WAS JUSTIFIED?
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by wizard01(m): 7:06am On Oct 03, 2012
luvinhubby: I find this story hard & difficult to believe, soldiers don't patrol streets arresting people, she mentioned man-o-war, police and soldiers, which kain combination be dat?
Which group, division, squad or station arrested you. What reason did they give?
The story is flawed, nevertheless should be investigated.

I totally agree with you, the story seems baseless

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by wizard01(m): 7:22am On Oct 03, 2012
luvinhubby: I find this story hard & difficult to believe, soldiers don't patrol streets arresting people, she mentioned man-o-war, police and soldiers, which kain combination be dat?
Which group, division, squad or station arrested you. What reason did they give?
The story is flawed, nevertheless should be investigated.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by muyenmuyen: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2012
my advise 4 u women to stop moving at night
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 03, 2012
VolvoS60:

Sir, you write as if the Nigerian military is some elite group of dedicated men prepared to give their all for flag and country. This is an illusion. There is nothing special about the Nigerian military. Nothing whatsoever. Both the rank & file and the officer corps are largely unprofessional and VERY undisciplined with no regard for the law where civilians are concerned. They are poorly trained and embody the worst stereotypes about soldiers being nothing but psychotic thugs given a rifle and a uniform after basic training and told by commanding officers to 'quench' civilians at the slightest provocation.

They have been indoctrinated to think they are a class apart whereas nothing could be further from the truth. And i say this based on over 2 decades of dealing with these people. Nigerians had better reconsider the so-called advantages of a standing army in peace time - an army which has been nothing but a drain on the public treasury for far too long.

We are waiting for the response of the authorities to the allegations made by miss njemanze. But with what I have seen of the Nigerian military, that would be asking for too much.

Nigeria doesn't have an elite military, granted. However, amongst the dregs, the military is still a better dreg. Go and see what the police that is supposed to be ur friend is doing. No doubt there are bad soldiers but you are likely to get redress against any injustice done to you by a soldier if u petition the military top hierarchy. As for our friendly police, the IG is ready to defend his men because he too is as rotten as they are.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by sashacoleman: 9:54am On Oct 03, 2012
When pple talk abt how they are ashamed to be called Nigerians, i alwys disagreed with them, afta reading the posts and comments, i am truly ashamed to be called a Nigerian. How can someone in their right mind justify violence towards women.If i choose to go to a party at night, whose business is it, if i choose to wear skimpy outfits, whose business is it? Who are you to judge anyone? how pure are you? Most men jst believe that the world belongs to them and no woman has the right to live her life the way she wants to. Abi is Abuja a sharia state, how can anyone justify what these pple are doing? Young girls are being molested and raped and beaten up all in the excuse that theyre prostitutes, what right do they have to do that? Is it in our constitution? If you caught them in the act, charge them to court, if not, let them go.

For the animals that justified what happened, and have spewed nonsense from their mouths, i rlly hope that one day, rlly soon, u will be molested and beaten up, and treated like youre nothing in your own country. Bunch of useless good for nothing animals. i pity your mothers who bore you and for the unfortunate women who tolerate you now. Stupid Idiots.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Sagamite(m): 9:58am On Oct 03, 2012
Gaggi: My sympathies.

Now, why should anybody be shouting do u knw who i am? That is so annoying and we are fond of name dropping in this country. All u need to do is kindly identify yourself. U don't need to be insultive at these people, it only makes them madder. We know that these people are already a dejected and frustrated bunch and are looking for whom to take their frustrations on.

Again, it is impossible to see soldiers, police and man'o'war in a joint task force. It is an insult to the military. You won't even find a police and soldier task force except the JTF. We all know that JTF is a serious task force that wouldn't resort to such petty things.

Lastly, women should dress decently especially in Abuja. That city is being overtaken by who.res and there is need to weed them out. It is unfortunate though that the task force is going about it in an uncivilized manner.

They are very serious at shooting everything that moves.

Very serious in extrajudicial killings.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by karpentar: 10:27am On Oct 03, 2012
lanre_front:

The kind of comment above can only come from either a sick or sadistic man.

Even if she went to Abuja to prostitute herself, that still does not give soldiers the right to just pick people up in the road and throw them into their buses as if they are animals, with no questions asked, no explanation given.

Are you sure you're educated?

Perhaps, you're educated but unintilligent. How could you conclude by just hearing one side of a story? Educated indeed!!!
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by karpentar: 10:31am On Oct 03, 2012
wealth123: Those who are in the habit of writing rubbish here should stop smoking weed if that is the cause of their actions. How can any sensible person justify the kind of brutality this lady went through? seriously i feel ashamed am in the same forum with these kind of people that should be in the zoo.

I feel so sorry for this country of ours. A country where vagabonds have the audacity to post in a forum meant for educated level headed people, poised for a better society.

How could you possibly confirm that she's telling a correct story? Are you the type who pass judgement after hearing just one side of a story? THINK.....it's easy to do!
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by karpentar: 10:33am On Oct 03, 2012
*dhtml:
THIS THREAD HAS MADE ME REALIZE SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT ABOUT NIGERIANS. MANY PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE MOLESTATION WAS JUSTIFIED?

Molestation can never be justified, but we doubt this one sided story. Period!!!!
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Jeejile: 1:01pm On Oct 03, 2012
And so what? Nonsense. This is as a result of the ladies' half-naked dressing which attracts the security men. They would have raped you to teach you lesson.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by SkyRider1(m): 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
for some time now, I keep wondering the rationale behind the FCT mobilising almost a hundred mini buses for rounding up Prostitutes.

These buses are parked at intersections and just about them one will notice young men sleeping in bright day light.

who approved this measure?who is bearing the cost?is there no better cause to put the fund?

My fear is very soon they will start rounding up guys too for prostitution。
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by eaglechild: 10:08pm On Oct 03, 2012
karpentar: I am RECOGNIZING and SEEING this babe FOR THE FIRST TIME. I wonder why she thinks she's so popular that a mere mention of her name would set her free. Meanwhile, her attention seeking story is half truth. There wouldn’t be an attempt to apprehend her without any wrong doing whatsoever. She went to Abuja to pro-stitute in the name of fighting for oppressed women. If she’s serious, let her go to the rural areas and see real oppressed women ….widows are forced to marry their late husband’s brothers, women toil in the farms all day and their husbands lazy around drinking tombo in readiness for night s-ex,..etc
Bros oh!
How u take recognize person wey u dey see for the first time.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Litmus: 11:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
The team that assaulted me tried to escape. I chased them down to area 10. Ugo found me there and another soldier cocked a gun, pointed at his tummy and threatened to shoot. A female soldier cocked her gun and pointed at Justina, the girl in my car, who was supposed to be on my show (ability talk, earlier in the day on love 104.5fm). Apparently the female soldier wanted to shoot Justina for having piercings on her face, because she said Justina was not a true Nigerian by that.

Lol, imagine trying to chase police or soldiers that assaulted you in Indonesia, India, China even America ? Nigeria most be a really safe place.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Glamgirl1: 12:02pm On Oct 04, 2012
This is one of the major problems that needs urgent attention in Nigeria, its a pity that people who are supposed to give voices are the ones making mockery of treatments being mettled out to women, fellow Nigerians deprecatory attitudes and hatred to female folks even by most females will not move us to the next level, a woman deserves love and respect. I know that most of us Nigerians detest ladies especially the young beautiful ones because they all assumed that they are whores but hating will bear no fruit. Most of these assumed whores are victims of poverty, deprivation and series of domestic abuse and they are mentally ill. We need to correct the young ones with deep understanding, maturity and love. Lets join hands together and love, cherish, understand and admonish our young ladies for they are the mothers and pillars of our tomorrow homes.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by sagan17hotmail: 1:14am On Oct 07, 2012
Mynd_44:
Seriously. They should lined up and used as target practice
[quote author=Sagamite]

You Dumb Svcker, My Prayer is for the next bullet to take away ur silly life, Grow up Ekiti Freak
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Sagamite(m): 9:15am On Oct 07, 2012
sagan17@hotmail:
She deserves evry bit of it.... and am not an a s s h o le the truth must be said...... she even had time to follow the vehicle , call her brother, call the police commissioner and possibly the media. how sure r we that she's not sleeping with each an evry entity in nigeria in other to get their gsm no...s for tym's like this. LovePeddler!!! thats wat she is. Abiiii she dey think say na movie again

You are a person!

Don't moronically quote me to back up your moronic point. My statement is not related to what your daft arsse is saying.

Fcking ediot! So what if she is an ashi?
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ijebabe: 10:23am On Oct 07, 2012
I can't laugh o! grin grin grin
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by DorothyNjemanze: 4:57am On Oct 08, 2012
This is Dorothy Njemanze. First of all, I wouldn't have raised alarm and called the press to witnesswhat happened if there was nothing wrong. When i could, I put together a summary of my ordeal. I'm not responsible for any typos. There was a typo on how many cases i've handled in the past in relation to my ordeal...I meant I AM NOW A FIRST-HAND VICTIM. For those with more background questions, google,"a desperate cry for help on behalf of women resident in abuja" - this was put up last year. One of the first people to publicize that case was the then president of Actor's Guild of Nigeria, Segun Arinze after he saw one of the victims breakdown when i was narating her ordeal to him. There is also an online petition to that effect. It can be found on www.youthhubafrica.org.(http://youthhubafrica.org/?p=541). Many women will never visit abuja again because of these ordeals. I feel soldiers shoudn't be on the streets, harrassing women and persons living with disabilities, thats why I am raising the necessary alarm. We've written to the Chief Of Army Staff to investigate this, come out with an official position and fish out the assailants for further action.The team that assaulted me had three men in millitary combat uniforms with assault rifles, no name tags, a man wearing mon o'war uniform and two people on plain clothes. By the time we got to Area10 Sports complex, there were much more people in soldier's uniforms and armed, including two women. There were also more people in man o'war uniforms. It is noteworthy that it is this same group of people that assaulted me that were responsible for the fired shots and riot in Wuse market on independence day, less than 48hrs after assaulting me. Past cases of aepb related assults are the ones that had mobile policemen. Many of those I have helped are not related to me. They could be related to those condemning me. women usually keep mum after such abduction/molestation for fear of stigmatization. Because many cant open up to their families, they seek NGOs to open up to. I am concerned about the fact that no woman in Abuja is safe, including me. For the person who has a problem with someone asking if they didn't know who I was when she was trying to identify me, This was done to get passers by to identify me as well. Asides presenting #Ability Talk on love104.5fm, I co-present #Brekete at times with Ahmed Isah on same station. I do these asides acting and anchoring events. My records are verifiable. It is amazing how people go out of their way to trivialize such serious issues. A woman who said she was 81 years old last year removed her wrapper when I was interviewing victims of aepb violence so that we all could verify for ourselves and said, "Them carry me like thief as i want carry taxi after my business of fry yam and potatoe for night. Them say I be prostus. My pikin them pikin don grow finish. See my body. If my husband dey alive this thing for no happen. I go report one place for Maitama, them say make i find ehgeeoo(NGO).Them say she dey everywhere. I no sabi who she be......" She said these amidst tears and cursed ended raining all types of curses. The truth is what goes on in Abuja is RANDOM ABDUCTION OF WOMEN and FORCING THEM TO CONFESS TO PROSTITUTION.There is a detention camp in SabonLugbe where women are rehabilitated under suspicion of prostitution. I have taken a team from PCC, NHRC, Legal Aid council, NTA int'l, FIDA, Brekete, Other NGOs to that facility. I hope this current spate of events will spur us to dig deep into the history of this menace and take decisive action on it. Because of this, no matter how much women make, there is a limitation as to how you can spend it. If you go to most public places without a male companion, you are assumed to be waiting for someone that can foot your bills. Women get free passes into vip sections only when they have male companions. I look forward to the day i can go anywhere alone and spend as i want to, enjoying my serenity or that of frmale companions. This issue is multi facetted and in everyway a gross violation of the rights of women resident in Abuja. FOr more reference materials, please google, 'if you are female and you live in abuja you should be concerned'. Also, within 48 hours, links to videos would be released. You can like the Dorothy Njemanze Foundation Page on facebook for updates or check out www.dorothynjemanzefoundation.org .Any direct questions for me can be posted on the foundation's facebookpage for prompt response.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by DorothyNjemanze: 5:10am On Oct 08, 2012
Also, please, what is the legal dresscode for women in abuja? I believe forigners need this info more than Nigerians. Should Keri Hilson be bothered about her planned trip or should she sew iro and buba or probably wear a hijab to perform? A picture of me in the police station after the assault is on the foundation's facebook page.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Mynd44: 6:44am On Oct 08, 2012
Wow, she has raised some really sensible issues here. When did Nigeria start imposing dress codes?
Which laws in Nigeria make prostitution illegal?
What the eff are soldiers doing on the streets arresting people over their dresses?
Who the hell gave those boys scout the power to arrest?
How do you differentiate between a normal club goer and a LovePeddler?
Since when did it become legal to arrest people and hold them without trial?
I thought only the police had the rights to arrest and detain. When did that change? Or did I miss the memo on that?
Any military man on patrol without a name tag is a FRAUD and should be treated as such. Dang that's why I love Lagos
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ijebabe: 7:08am On Oct 08, 2012
@Dorothy thanks for that even though you really didn't need to!
I am shocked at the mindset of some of our Nigerians who are sons, brothers and fathers. Only God will save us.
I am glad that the issue in Abuja is gaining more awareness and I hope the government will do something about it.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ijebabe: 7:11am On Oct 08, 2012
Mynd_44: Wow, she has raised some really sensible issues here. When did Nigeria start imposing dress codes?
Which laws in Nigeria make prostitution illegal?
What the eff are soldiers doing on the streets arresting people over their dresses?
Who the hell gave those boys scout the power to arrest?
How do you differentiate between a normal club goer and a LovePeddler?
Since when did it become legal to arrest people and hold them without trial?
I thought only the police had the rights to arrest and detain. When did that change? Or did I miss the memo on that?
Any military man on patrol without a name tag is a FRAUD and should be treated as such. Dang that's why I love Lagos
I don't know who in office can even answer these questions! Who is accountable in our government when things like this happen?
Some dumb fvcks woke up one morning and decided to be a nuisance and a whole state, scrap that, THE capital, has to pay for it!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Workers Humiliate Saraki, Dogara, Ngige The Labour Minister In Abuja On May Day / Kano Will Lose Status Without Igbo, Others - Gov. Ganduje. / Photos From Governor Umar Ganduje's Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.