Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments (17198 Views)

RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model / Comments/complaints/suggestions / Transmission Issues In The 2006 Nissan Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 11:11pm On Oct 02, 2012
Manual Transmission or Tranny is known for its trouble-free. But that doesn't mean there won't be issues with clutch system, once in a while.

So, if you're having any issue with your manual transmission or comments on the transmission type, let's discuss it here.

Please, this thread is not about manual vs auto transmissions.

Ikenna.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by bigx(m): 5:35am On Oct 03, 2012
Ikenna351: Manual Transmission or Tranny is known for its trouble-free. But that doesn't mean there won't be issues with clutch system, once in a while.

So, if you're having any issue with your manual transmission or comments on the transmission type, let's discuss it here.

Ikenna.

There's a question I always wanted to ask, what's engine braking? You guys have mentioned it a couple of times here.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 8:41am On Oct 04, 2012
bigx:

There's a question I always wanted to ask, what's engine braking? You guys have mentioned it a couple of times here.

I tried to answer your question with a long post i prepared yesterday, but it mistakenly wiped off when i wanted to submit it. Will get back to you soon

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nwunuken(m): 4:01pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ikenna351: Manual Transmission or Tranny is known for its trouble-free. But that doesn't mean there won't be issues with clutch system, once in a while.

Ikenna.
i have issue with my clutch it very strong whenever i press it.also the gear is strong is no flexiable i need ur advise.it is rovercar
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 10:26pm On Oct 04, 2012
Nwunuken: i have issue with my clutch it very strong whenever i press it.also the gear is strong is no flexiable i need ur advise.it is rovercar

It depends on what type of clutch system the car has. Is it hydraulic or cable controlled?

A cable controlled clutch system will be a little hard to depress. Hydraulic clutch system is softer. So, i don't know how hard you mean.

Notwithstanding, a failing clutch cable or Clutch pressure plate will give very hard depress clutch pedal symptom. Clutch Pressure plate is what Nigerians wrongly call clutch Disc. If the clutch cable is insulated and got wrongly twisted (assuming yours is cable), the cable move smoothly, which will make the pedal to be hard to depress. And it will make the cable to break at some point.

About the gear, you said its strong and not flexible. Is it that the gear lever doesn't move smoothly into the gears or very hard to push into gears? Could you explain more?

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 11:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
[quote author=bigx]

There's a question I always wanted to ask, what's engine braking? You guys have mentioned it a couple of times here.[/quote

While in motion with manual transmission vehicle (especially the petrol engine ones), if you release the throttle pedal, the vehicle will slow down or the car speed will rapidly reduced to a lower speed, depending on the speed you are doing or the gear it is in.

For example, if am doing 120 km/h and suddenly releases the throttle pedal, the car speed will drop very fast to less than 80 km/h, depending on the gear am speeding the 120 km/h with and how good the car engine braking is. Some cars with manual tranny have better engine braking than some cars too with manual transmissions. It depends on how the engine and gearbox were designed.

Another type of engine braking in Manual transmission vehicle is downshifting. When you are on hi speed and you suddenly wants to reduce the speed of the car , both in normal situation or in an emergency, the quicker you shift your gear lever to lower gears, the faster the car speed reduces. You can even bring the car to a halt with this method, without depressing the brake pedal or making use of the car brake system components: brake pedal, pads, calipers, master cylinder, brake hydraulic lines,etc. For example, i can drive on a Nigerian highway, with all the potholes and the overtaking, for good 30 minutes, without touching my brake at speed of 120 km/h, with my manual transmission car. If you understand how your car engine braking is (how good or poor it is), it will help you in calculating the length of gap or distance you give vehicles on the highway, to give you enough space to see potholes from afar and steer out of them without slowing down. I also make use of that before i overtake. I don't follow cars closely when am on the highway.

With engine braking, you hardly replace your brake pads and rotors/dics, since you seldom use them. The engine does the baking of your vehicle for you. All you need is to learn how to use it. Is one of the pros of manual transmission. It is also used in the cities, meaning, no bumper-to-bumper driving.

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Demdem(m): 7:53am On Oct 05, 2012
Subscribing
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nwunuken(m): 8:01am On Oct 05, 2012
Ikenna351:

It depends on what type of clutch system the car has. Is it hydraulic or cable controlled?

A cable controlled clutch system will be a little hard to depress. Hydraulic clutch system is softer. So, i don't know how hard you mean.

Notwithstanding, a failing clutch cable or Clutch pressure plate will give very hard depress clutch pedal symptom. Clutch Pressure plate is what Nigerians wrongly call clutch Disc. If the clutch cable is insulated and got wrongly twisted (assuming yours is cable), the cable move smoothly, which will make the pedal to be hard to depress. And it will make the cable to break at some point.

About the gear, you said its strong and not flexible. Is it that the gear lever doesn't move smoothly into the gears or very hard to push into gears? Could you explain more?

Ikenna
for the gear,it dont move smoothly into next lever.thanks
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nwunuken(m): 8:07am On Oct 05, 2012
[quote author=Ikenna351][/quote]seconded gud explanation
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Demdem(m): 8:09am On Oct 05, 2012
Nwunuken: for the gear,it dont move smoothly into next lever.thanks

i experience this too especially from 2 to 3
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Hemanwel(m): 8:12am On Oct 05, 2012
Hi OP.Nice thread!Am a callow driver.My question is:
How do u knw dat dis car ur abt 2 drive is nt in gear or is in gear 1 without u askin?
Once again,nice thread!
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Kay17: 8:12am On Oct 05, 2012
My friction point keeps changing, sometimes its so low, other times its more than halfway.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 05, 2012
pls Ikenna explain more about cable controld clutch system and hydraulict controld clutch system. I so much dislike d experience of having to exert energy before applying clutch. hw does it relate to car make. pls enlighten
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by udefrancis: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2012
Who can tell me the use of gear 1,2 and some times 3 in Auto transmission then Turbo charged transmission and regular transmission?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by coalcoal1(m): 9:38am On Oct 05, 2012
Following like twitter
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by pato405(m): 9:46am On Oct 05, 2012
hi Ikenna. I'v read a lot of your meaningful contributions on this forum. if you dont mind, kindly send your number to my inbox. will like to have your contact for some auto-related discussions. cheers

minajkindy@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 05, 2012
@Ikenna
Not entirely true. You still need to brake to come to a complete halt. I agree that you can reduce your car speed but it is impossible not to use your brakes to halt the vehicle. Sometimes the car in front reduces speed suddenly. The only way out is to also apply your brakes quickly.

@Topic,
Since i put in manual gear oil in my car last week, the gear is now hard especially in gear1 and 2. My mech says the clutch disc needs a replacement. The question is why did it start immediately i added gear oil?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Cyberknight: 10:11am On Oct 05, 2012
Never had any issues with a manual car I've driven, and believe me I have been driving manuals almost exclusively for about 20 years now, starting with my old boy's Mercedes Benz 200 (the best of the old gas guzzlers, if you ask me). I only had a problem with its clutch once if my memory serves me right. My wife and I are both driving manual cars now, in Lagos, and none of the cars have ever had a gear problem. As far as I am concerned, real drivers drive manuals.

2 Likes

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 05, 2012
@ Ikenna: Sorry for going off-topic, but could you please get in touch, when you get a spare minute?

Thanks bud!
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2012
Cyberknight: Never had any issues with a manual car I've driven, and believe me I have been driving manuals almost exclusively for about 20 years now, starting with my old boy's Mercedes Benz 200 (the best of the old gas guzzlers, if you ask me). I only had a problem with its clutch once if my memory serves me right. My wife and I are both driving manual cars now, in Lagos, and none of the cars have ever had a gear problem. As far as I am concerned, real drivers drive manuals.

That's the spirit buddy!
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by femi4: 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
Cyberknight: Never had any issues with a manual car I've driven, and believe me I have been driving manuals almost exclusively for about 20 years now, starting with my old boy's Mercedes Benz 200 (the best of the old gas guzzlers, if you ask me). I only had a problem with its clutch once if my memory serves me right. My wife and I are both driving manual cars now, in Lagos, and none of the cars have ever had a gear problem. As far as I am concerned, real drivers drive manuals.
Nigerian mentality, they love to do things the hard way. God has delivered me from stress!!!
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 4:55pm On Oct 05, 2012
Aqva: @Ikenna
Not entirely true. You still need to brake to come to a complete halt. I agree that you can reduce your car speed but it is impossible not to use your brakes to halt the vehicle. Sometimes the car in front reduces speed suddenly. The only way out is to also apply your brakes quickly.?

I have driven a manual transmission car that had brake failure in the city, then at Awka. I drove it without brake from where it failed in the city to home, during day time. I also know a lot of people that have done so.

Your post means you really haven't mastered manual transmission. You have not explored all the goodies the transmission offers.

Like i earlier noted, some cars engine braking perform better than others. My 2 cars (both are manual) engine braking perform differently. One is sharper or does better than the other.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 05, 2012
WHY DRIVE MANUAL IN 2012 ?

2 Likes

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 5:41pm On Oct 05, 2012
obadiah777: WHY DRIVE MANUAL IN 2012 ?

It's like asking me why dating a tall, short, slim, fat, dark or fair lady in completion in 2012, because you don't find her attractive?

Your question is also the same thing as asking someone why he married a lady from a different tribe, with the present tribal hate going on in Nairaland ?

Dont always think that your choice is better than others. We are all created to see things differently.

Ikenna

7 Likes

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by bigx(m): 6:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
obadiah777: WHY DRIVE MANUAL IN 2012 ?

I've used both manual and automatic, and when I'm car shopping, I always specify manual, I love control, I love manual.

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 6:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
femi4: Nigerian mentality, they love to do things the hard way. God has delivered me from stress!!!

In as much as Toyota is known for reliability, not every Nigerian will like to be associated with that badge. They choose to forego reliability for something else Toyotas lack or don't offer them.

What you regard as stress, is what another person finds awesome. Not everyone wants to be driven. Some wants to do the actual driving and be in total control of the vehicles on the road. Not everyone wants to be dummy on the steering, you know.

Like i earlier noted, this thread is not for auto vs manual transmissions. We have a thread for that. Visit the car talk Library for that.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 7:06pm On Oct 05, 2012
@ Aqva

When a clutch Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder kits starts failing, the gear lever will be hard to shift to gear 1 & 2.

When air is trapped in the clutch hydraulic lines or cylinders (not properly bled), you will get the same symptom.

A failing clutch cable will also give the same symptom, before it finally breaks.

A failing Clutch Pressure Plate (which you referred to as disc) will do the same.

A failed Clutch Pilot Bearing will also do the same, since the transmision input shaft will continue to spin slowly when clutch is depressed, making it hard for the 2 lowest gears to enter smoothly. The transmission input shaft sits on the Clutch Pilot bearing, which is located or installed in Bellhousing, at the centre.

Do know that if actually your Clutch Pressure plate is the culprit, if you keep using it, it will soon brake or crack the Clutch release Fork, and may damage the Cluch Pivot ball too.

Are you sure that the new Oil you put in the transmission, is for the manual transmission of the car? Did you check if the Oil grade is good for that transmission?

Things that will cause such problem with your car are Clutch-related, and not the transmission. Unless your gear linkages or connectors fibers suddenly died after replacing the transmission fluid. I hope the transmission fluid didnt touch any of the gear connectors, since oil is a main killer of bushings and fibers?

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by InvertedHammer: 8:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
What does high end sports car Ferraris, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. have in common?

MANUAL TRANSMISSION!

There you have it.

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 8:38pm On Oct 05, 2012
Hemanwel: Hi OP.Nice thread!Am a callow driver.My question is:
How do u knw dat dis car ur abt 2 drive is nt in gear or is in gear 1 without u askin?
Once again,nice thread!

You are asking me to teach you how to drive here? it doesn't work that way.

A skilled driver doesn't need to look at gear lever to know which gear is on. Driving manual transmission takes a lot of brain activities. Thats why is meant for adults that have the capabilities to imbibe such skills. Insane adults are not licenced to drive. Like I said, so much brain activity is needed in driving. When i said driving, I mean manual transmission.

Ikenna

3 Likes

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by sulakishop(m): 8:43pm On Oct 05, 2012
Seriously speaking, I have always wanted to ask this question: which out of auto or manual is beta for a starter (first time car owner) and why?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 8:47pm On Oct 05, 2012
miko11: pls Ikenna explain more about cable controld clutch system and hydraulict controld clutch system. I so much dislike d experience of having to exert energy before applying clutch. hw does it relate to car make. pls enlighten

Hydraulic controlled Clutch system is softer to depress. The clutch pedal takes very little pressure to go down.

Cable controlled Clutch system is not as soft as the other to depress. But it has been improved on some newer cars with the cable clutch system. Softer than it used to. But, the hydraulic still does better than the cable, in terms of softness.

Ikenna

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

WARNING!!!! 5 Common Symptoms Of A Bad Fuel Pump. (Photos) / 5 Warning Tyre Signs You Should Not Ignore / My Experience With Carsbazr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.