Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,424 members, 7,781,239 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:08 AM

The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! (14687 Views)

The Real Housewives Of Atlanta. / Real Nigerian Housewives Of UK: Prevent Skin Bleaching Affecting Children / The Real Housewives Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 1:53pm On Oct 03, 2012
http://realnaijwife..co.uk/p/welcome-page.html

Hi Ladies and welcome to The Real Nigerian Housewives of the United Kingdom! wink

My name is Ella (alias DegreeAngel), I was born and raised in the UK and I am of Nigerian origin.

After coming to the realisation the Nigerian community is so fragmented in the UK, this is particularly true for wives and even more difficult if you are a stay at home mum or single mother. I can probably limit Nigerian social gatherings for wives to:

1. Nightclubs (not a fan myself as a wholesome Christian wife),
2. Work (yes we are the minority there and no I'm not a fan of after work pub crawls) or
3. Church (people are always in a rush to leave to get ready for work the next day - sad face)

So, I decided to start a group to grow a community of Nigerian wives for support, laughter and friendship. This group is also open to those who are engaged. If you are single please don't take offence, the reason I have not focused on singles is purely because in some ways I feel the needs of those who are single are often quite different and often their goals are too, I also feel you have a larger number of gathering spots. I myself am a married mother of one lovely boy and I know my life was totally different 5 years ago. This is not to say singles are excluded, by all means if you feel this is the group for you, you are welcome. This is just a disclaimer to let you know a lot of what we do may be centered around the married/motherhood life (but definitely not boring).

The goal of this group is to form a community of different types of women with strong and positive bonds whilst having fun. The target age is 25 - 45 and this will be a real face to face community as well as an online one - who knows we might set up our own country club if it gets big enough! It will involve anything from posting stories about yourselves and learning about different Nigerian cultures and characteristics from each other online. Threads on the latest songs/dance moves, fashion trends, family/relationships. To organising play-dates and childrens stay and play sessions, dinner and drinks nights, coffee mornings/afternoons, house/hall parties, orphanage fundraisers, holidays/trips, professional or DIY spa and beauty days, hair and gele making sessions, theatre/cinema outings as well as discussing/influencing politics, starting book groups, career sessions/seminars/networking opportunities. Or help starting businesses, finding employment/promotion, cooking and much more.

Basically this blog and group is an open book that will be formed by you and I can't wait to see where you take it. Hopefully you don't think this is a bad idea, it has been made with the best intentions so forward this to women you know who are married or engaged.

Hugs and Kisses

Ella

3 Likes

Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by EfemenaXY: 2:01pm On Oct 03, 2012
Interesting stuff you've got there Ell77 smiley
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 2:25pm On Oct 03, 2012
What is The Real Nigerian Housewives of the United Kingdom?
To get this group going in the right direction and find out more about yourselves, please fill in the survey below. The survey will help shape the direction of this group and build up a profile and contact list of our members:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/59Z5C2Y

Thanks a bunch

Hugs and kisses

Ella
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
Efemena_xy: Interesting stuff you've got there Ell77 smiley

Thanks Efemena. I really wanted to do this as I am passionate about it, though I am not sure how it will be received but I'd love a UK Nigerian country club one day and it will start with this. Lets see if we can build a solid community (ironically starting online)! grin
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by coogar: 2:45pm On Oct 03, 2012
can the men join this group? grin cheesy grin a lot of uk based nigerian women in the 25-45 age group are bored and they need some sorta companionship! what do you say?

oh yeah - are single mothers allowed too?
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by EfemenaXY: 2:54pm On Oct 03, 2012
^^ Go away Coogar.

Don't tarnish a good thing jor cheesy grin
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2012
coogar: can the men join this group? grin cheesy grin a lot of uk based nigerian women in the 25-45 age group are bored and they need some sorta companionship! what do you say?

oh yeah - are single mothers allowed too?

I know you are being cheeky but I will answer the question you should have asked:

Are men and single mothers invited?

Sorry membership is for women only including single mothers too - but there will be many events inviting husbands/fiances, friends and kids its just the group itself that is for women. I think a male brother group on its own would be good though - go start one in your locality (no cults please tongue).
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by coogar: 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Go away Coogar.
Don't tarnish a good thing jor cheesy grin

efemena, don't queer this pitch for me - abeg! this is a rare opportunity to meet buff nigerian women in the uk!

ell77:
I know you are being cheeky but I will answer the question you should have asked:

lmao @ cheeky

Are men and single mothers invited?

Sorry membership is for women only including single mothers too - but there will be many events inviting husbands/fiances, friends and kids its just the group itself that is for women. I think a male brother group on its own would be good though - go start one in your locality (no cults please tongue).

so your association does not include men and single women? good luck on that then! we don't need a male brother group - men do that on a weekly basis @ the various local pubs when football is on the tube!
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by tpia5: 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2012
a UK Nigerian country club one day

that might be an interesting concept.

there are equivalents in nigeria but they're not called country clubs.
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 3:35pm On Oct 03, 2012
@ Coogar - thanks.

The idea is to not replicate what is already out there, if you read my initial post you would see the logic behind this.

If you want single women go clubbing or to the pub I am sure you will have a great supply you don't need this as an avenue, thanks for visiting the thread anyway.

But besides drinking and watching football in the pub what else do you do there that is meaningful and how has this helped you? Spend some more time considering da da da ... [size=18pt]"the brother club"[/size].
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 3:37pm On Oct 03, 2012
tpia@:

that might be an interesting concept.

there are equivalents in nigeria but they're not called country clubs.

Thank you very much - Exactly!. This is what I'd like. What do the they call it in Nigeria - boat club, social club or what? I know they do have so many and varieties too. Especially for the older generations.
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by coogar: 3:47pm On Oct 03, 2012
ell77: @ Coogar - thanks.
The idea is to not replicate what is already out there, if you read my initial post you would see the logic behind this. If you want single women go clubbing or to the pub I am sure you will have a great supply you don't need this as an avenue, thanks for visiting the thread anyway.

nigerian women don't come to the pubs - they are too bogged down by their jobs and other issues to afford such luxuries! then again, most of them see clubbing as an evil vice so you rarely see the mature women in the clubs! your concept is interesting and would bring more to the yard than pub/club....

But besides drinking and watching football in the pub what else do you do there that is meaningful and how has this helped you? Spend some more time considering da da da ... [size=18pt]"the brother club"[/size].

you know men are not as uptight as women - i have met many people in the pub and we were able to talk business, exchange ideas or do some sorta link-ups! it's not only about drinking and unwinding.......
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 3:55pm On Oct 03, 2012
coogar:

nigerian women don't come to the pubs - they are too bogged down by their jobs and other issues to afford such luxuries! then again, most of them see clubbing as an evil vice so you rarely see the mature women in the clubs! your concept is interesting and would bring more to the yard than pub/club....

Thanks - glad to see others agree.

coogar:
you know men are not as uptight as women - i have met many people in the pub and we were able to talk business, exchange ideas or do some sorta link-ups! it's not only about drinking and unwinding.......

Well that's good if you all are doing that, but I assume in UK it is mostly with current friends and not how you meet new friends. However, one day if we we have a country club/permanent residence for the group in a big building then it sounds like having a classy bar with wide screen TV in there for all would be a very good idea. Thanks for the insight Coogar. smiley
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by tpia5: 4:02pm On Oct 03, 2012
ell77:

Thank you very much - Exactly!. This is what I'd like. What do the they call it in Nigeria - boat club, social club or what? I know they do have so many and varieties too. Especially for the older generations.

different clubs like the ones you mentioned eg lions club or something like that and i think many of them do social projects once in a while eg refurbishing somewhere, donating stuff, etc.

not sure what they generally do in their regular meetings though- was never a member.

i think there are also golf associations and so on.
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 4:08pm On Oct 03, 2012
tpia@:

different clubs like the ones you mentioned eg lions club or something like that and i think many of them do social projects once in a while eg refurbishing somewhere, donating stuff, etc.

not sure what they generally do in their regular meetings though- was never a member.

i think there are also golf associations and so on.

That sounds very good. Thanks for this tpia. I will do some more research.
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 8:28pm On Oct 03, 2012
Hi,

I need some volunteers to write on this blog who will be given posting access on these topics to name a few:
Fashion trends - Threacia, Manchester - you did not leave contact details are you able to email me at ellaoku@gmail.com?
Family/relationships
Politics - Oyindamola - you did not leave contact details are you able to email me at ellaoku@gmail.com?
Book/Movie/TV show reviews
Career advice
Start up business advice
Cooking

If there are any other areas of interest please fill in this survey and don't forget your contact details with your name:

Thanks a bunch

Hugs and kisses

Ella
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by EfemenaXY: 10:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
ell77: Hi,

I need some volunteers to write on this blog who will be given posting access on these topics to name a few:
Fashion trends - Threacia, Manchester - you did not leave contact details are you able to email me at ellaoku@gmail.com?
Family/relationships
Politics - Oyindamola - you did not leave contact details are you able to email me at ellaoku@gmail.com?
Book/Movie/TV show reviews
Career advice
Start up business advice
Cooking

If there are any other areas of interest please fill in this survey and don't forget your contact details with your name:

Thanks a bunch

Hugs and kisses

Ella

Ella, why not create a section for Homes and Gardens?

So say for example, you could have sub-topics on these centred around

~ Good Housekeeping (so for those of us with kids wanting to know how to remove biro stains from leather sofas, or how to remove alcohol stains from silk tops, or even whether to use fabric conditioners or not! cheesy)

~Gardening

~ Property / DIY,

~Living overseas, etc?

Just a thought though...
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 11:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Ella, why not create a section for Homes and Gardens?

So say for example, you could have sub-topics on these centred around

~ Good Housekeeping (so for those of us with kids wanting to know how to remove biro stains from leather sofas, or how to remove alcohol stains from silk tops, or even whether to use fabric conditioners or not! cheesy)

~Gardening

~ Property / DIY,

~Living overseas, etc?

Just a thought though...

No this is wonderful, thanks very much! These are all relevant to me too so glad to hear others would be interested? Do you know much about any of these topics then - enough to write on? We need some good writers too!
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by Ivynwa(f): 1:33am On Oct 04, 2012
Ell77, I ain't really being part of your club.
Just to let you know that you have a great business idea on your fingertips. The title of this thread can create a great Television programme that one of the Nigerian stations may be happy to run with you showcasing Nigerian families in the UK and other places, the wives/mothers and how they tackle the challenges of raising a family in a foreign country. I can't even begin to imagine the millions of viewers that will be tripping to watch your programme. You go girl!
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 04, 2012
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 12:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ivynwa: Ell77, I ain't really being part of your club.
Just to let you know that you have a great business idea on your fingertips. The title of this thread can create a great Television programme that one of the Nigerian stations may be happy to run with you showcasing Nigerian families in the UK and other places, the wives/mothers and how they tackle the challenges of raising a family in a foreign country. I can't even begin to imagine the millions of viewers that will be tripping to watch your programme. You go girl!

You are exactly right I would love to watch that TV programme!

In fact I would love to watch a Nigerian version of it based in Nigeria too!

chaircover: Ella good idea and this has been needed for a long time, but I'm a little confused. Is this blog for housewives or wives. You mentioned something about work so I'm not really sure.

I like efes ideas of home and gardens and properties etc and I can help in that area from time to time. We can also have an area for education and childcare

We can also have something on travel and holidays within the uk and we can share tried and tested UK resorts, prices etc

Hi Chaircover thanks very much - yes I would love your help and education and childcare are extremely important to me too, travel is a good one too.

Regarding - the housewives/wives confusion - I just chose that name as it was catchy. If you watch all the different real housewives documentary series i.e. real housewives of Orange County etc, there are stay at home mothers, new fiances with no kids yet, entrepreneur mums, working mums, single mums, so all are welcome and relevant as our lives often share similar struggles, needs, hopes and dreams. Does that make more sense?
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by EfemenaXY: 12:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
ell77:

No this is wonderful, thanks very much! These are all relevant to me too so glad to hear others would be interested? Do you know much about any of these topics then - enough to write on? We need some good writers too!

I know a bit and wouldn't mind contributing my experiences from time to time - but I must warn you, I'm no expert though smiley

chaircover: Ella good idea and this has been needed for a long time, but I'm a little confused. Is this blog for housewives or wives. You mentioned something about work so I'm not really sure.

I like efes ideas of home and gardens and properties etc and I can help in that area from time to time. We can also have an area for education and childcare

We can also have something on travel and holidays within the uk and we can share tried and tested UK resorts, prices etc

CC, now this IS excellent! Children's education, I am really passionate about. I think there is so much we mums can learn and share with others here in the UK regarding our kids education and the educational system.

Ella, a couple of thoughts on this - what d'you think of subdividing the topic of Children's education into the following categories:

~ Pre-school Education
~ Primary Education
~ Secondary Education
~ Further Education
~ Home Education
~ Special Educational Needs
~ Gifted and Talented
~ Homework Corner
~ Bullying
~ School Holidays

and lots more! I know I've got lots to natter about on a couple of these areas and I think it would be cool to share experiences and advice with other mums too. What d'you think? smiley
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
Efemena_xy:

I know a bit and wouldn't mind contributing my experiences from time to time - but I must warn you, I'm no expert though smiley

CC, now this IS excellent! Children's education, I am really passionate about. I think there is so much we mums can learn and share with others here in the UK regarding our kids education and the educational system.

Ella, a couple of thoughts on this - what d'you think of subdividing the topic of Children's education into the following categories:

~ Pre-school Education
~ Primary Education
~ Secondary Education
~ Further Education
~ Home Education
~ Special Educational Needs
~ Gifted and Talented
~ Homework Corner
~ Bullying
~ School Holidays

and lots more! I know I've got lots to natter about on a couple of these areas and I think it would be cool to share experiences and advice with other mums too. What d'you think? smiley

One word! Brilliant! I am very passionate about this too, running my own tuition centre shortly for school kids. But the aspect of adding Bullying and SEN in is something I never even considered this is fantastic. I don't think there is such a thing as experts on these topics. It is really opinions in the end, either opinions, statistics or a mixture of both so I would love your opinions. We will mix it up together! grin
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 1:42pm On Oct 04, 2012
Phew. Constantly updating and including all your suggestions so thank you very much!

http://realnaijwife..co.uk/p/childrens-education.html

Efemena, when you are ready please write about whatever you are passionate about first. In fact to help put things in perspective I would like to do a spot light on yourself and other writers. Where you tell us a little about yourself, interests/passions and family. Is this okay? It is not a necessity but may help the reader connect with you better. Will do mine by the end of the week whilst adding in articles.

I personally have more expertise on and will be writing on:
~ Primary Education
~ Secondary Education
~ Further Education
~ Home Education
~ Gifted and Talented
~ Homework Corner

But in each of the categories more than one writer would be great. You can submit any articles either by:
- emailing me at ellaoku@gmail.com/director@degreeangel.co.uk
- posting on the blog
- posting on this Nairaland thread

Whichever suits you all really! smiley
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 2:20pm On Oct 04, 2012
[size=16pt]Hey look what we can achieve when we believe in educating our kids:[/size]

Young, Gifted & Black Series

By Taki S. Raton

Pictured above on the right is Anne-Marie Imafidon and to the left are 9-year-old twins Paula and Peter.

She is a proud sibling in what is known in England as “The First Family of Education.” A September 2011 edition of “Higher Education Digest” describes her as a “serial world record breaker.”

She is Young, Gifted, & Black and her name is Anne-Marie Imafidon. She would remain at Oxford where she began her undergrad degree program in 2005 having alread studied mathematics at the university level since 13. She began her studies on the Masters level at the age of 17.

At the age of 10 she passed two high school diploma exams in Mathematics and in Information Technology. At the age of 11, she became the youngest person ever in Britain to pass Advance College Level Computing, and at 12, she received an Oxford Scholarship. At the age of 13 in 2003, she was granted a British scholarship to study Mathematics at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland ...

For the link and the rest of the story please see:
http://realnaijwife..co.uk/2012/10/britains-brainiest-family-are-nigerians.html
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 7:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ok still working on this...at least the superficial aspect:

http://realnaijwife..co.uk/

Regarding a discussion about country clubs, lion clubs etc. I found the Lagos Country Club site which looks interesting:
http://www.lagoscountryclub.net/
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 8:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
Theatre Review

[img]http://www.theatreticketsdirect.co.uk/image/SHREK%20TTD.jpg/ShowsImage/Custom/500/250[/img]
Shrek the musical!! This actually looks quite good for families.

Check the review here:
http://realnaijwife..co.uk/2012/10/shrek-musical.html

Comment here on using this as a social:
http://realnaijwife..co.uk/p/meet-upssocials.html
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by ell77(f): 11:00am On Oct 08, 2012
Tiger mother or best friend? Which parenting style do think is best?
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by emoch(m): 11:26am On Oct 08, 2012
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by finest0007(m): 11:32am On Oct 08, 2012
Good morning...Pls i need your vote to win at the facebook headies contest...You can vote here: http:///Pi2kQK by liking my pic ..Voters stand a chance to win 50,000 naira..THANKS...

Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 08, 2012
ell77: Tiger mother or best friend? Which parenting style do think is best?

Rocking idea. Any plans to do anything up in Scotland

Can help with travel.
Re: The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 08, 2012
What about we Nigerian Husbands divorcing you guyz undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can I Relocate My Family To My Village Because Of My Wife's Job? / How Long Do You Think Courtship Should Take? / “If My Husband Sexually Abuses My Child,He’ll Be Reported But Not Divorced" Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.