Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,906 members, 7,799,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls (10735 Views)

Top 10 Funniest Replies To why Didn't You Go To Church Today (Hillarious Photos) / Nigerian Guy Replies Church That Asked God To Change Their Smell / Pastor Biodun/Coza Replies Ese Walter's Sex Scandal Accusation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by OmoAlata(f): 4:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
Hello everybody

Can y'all help me please with this dilemma. We attend a church together as a family i.e. me, hubby and the kids. I'll call this church WCC International Church wink Anyway, my husband is a Ghanaian. The church we attend is a predominantly Ghanaian-attending church (in London). The church was founded in Ghana grin. They sing, pray, preach, give their testimonies, everything in the Ghanaian language. We sit there like dummies. My older kids (teenagers) have stopped attending as "we don't hear what they are saying". I saw it as a 'day out on Sundays' smiley My husband loves the church and has recently started training there as a Pastor (he has started preaching - in the Ghanaian language) grin. It's a 40mins drive from our house.

Since April, I started attending Mountain of Fire church. It's a 10min drive away. I understand everything going on and can participate fully in the church. My teenagers attend some Sundays and they are able to participate. I've even joined the prayer warriors. Since I started MFM, my prayer life has changed. I now study the word daily. I yearn to be in the church (we have service this evening and I can't wait grin)

MFM service finishes at 12 noon. WCC International starts at 2p.m so some Sundays, after MFM, I drive down to WCC and attend the service but lately, I can't be bothered to go. About a month ago, I went there and the members afterwards told me off "how can a pastor's wife not attend every Sunday?". I told them the truth. "I don't attend because I don't hear what you are saying. You even give your testimonies in your language. You do your praise & worship in your language. You don't want 'foreigners' in your church. I can't waste my time every Sunday for nothing". Any 'foreigner' we get, eventually leave due to the language barrier. They promised to change.

Whenever I am in WCC now, they fall over themselves. A brother will take the microphone and proceed to speak in their language and someone will look at me and hastily tell them to speak English lipsrsealed It doesn't come natural to them. I feel they secretly resent me for not allowing them to enjoy themselves.

Would it be proper for me to leave a church where my husband is a pastor? Or should I continue going once a while? Or what do you think?

Sorry this is long smiley

2 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by miomonio: 6:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
Omo Alata: Hello everybody

Can y'all help me please with this dilemma. We attend a church together as a family i.e. me, hubby and the kids. I'll call this church WCC International Church wink Anyway, my husband is a Ghanaian. The church we attend is a predominantly Ghanaian-attending church (in London). The church was founded in Ghana grin. They sing, pray, preach, give their testimonies, everything in the Ghanaian language. We sit there like dummies. My older kids (teenagers) have stopped attending as "we don't hear what they are saying". I saw it as a 'day out on Sundays' smiley My husband loves the church and has recently started training there as a Pastor (he has started preaching - in the Ghanaian language) grin. It's a 40mins drive from our house.

Since April, I started attending Mountain of Fire church. It's a 10min drive away. I understand everything going on and can participate fully in the church. My teenagers attend some Sundays and they are able to participate. I've even joined the prayer warriors. Since I started MFM, my prayer life has changed. I now study the word daily. I yearn to be in the church (we have service this evening and I can't wait grin)

MFM service finishes at 12 noon. WCC International starts at 2p.m so some Sundays, after MFM, I drive down to WCC and attend the service but lately, I can't be bothered to go. About a month ago, I went there and the members afterwards told me off "how can a pastor's wife not attend every Sunday?". I told them the truth. "I don't attend because I don't hear what you are saying. You even give your testimonies in your language. You do your praise & worship in your language. You don't want 'foreigners' in your church. I can't waste my time every Sunday for nothing". Any 'foreigner' we get, eventually leave due to the language barrier. They promised to change.

Whenever I am in WCC now, they fall over themselves. A brother will take the microphone and proceed to speak in their language and someone will look at me and hastily tell them to speak English lipsrsealed It doesn't come natural to them. I feel they secretly resent me for not allowing them to enjoy themselves.

Would it be proper for me to leave a church where my husband is a pastor? Or should I continue going once a while? Or what do you think?

Sorry this is long smiley

@ Omo Alata. Etise!. Is that all? Charlie, abeggy go learn Ghana jor. Nante yiyie wink

4 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 03, 2012
@mrs "omo alata"
I'll advice you attend MFM. There is no point going to a Ghanian church. It doesn't make sense.

1 Like

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by OmoAlata(f): 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2012
miomonio:

@ Omo Alata. Etise!. Is that all? Charlie, abeggy go learn Ghana jor. Nante yiyie wink

Yoruba is my 2nd language (English is my first) and I find it difficult to pronounce all the words in yoruba language, my mother-tongue and you want me to go and learn Twi grin

acidosis™:
@mrs "omo alata"
I'll advice you attend MFM. There is no point going to a Ghanian church. It doesn't make sense.

If my husband wasn't training to be a pastor there, it wouldn't have been a dilemma undecided
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 03, 2012
Omo Alata:

Yoruba is my 2nd language (English is my first) and I find it difficult to pronounce all the words in yoruba language, my mother-tongue and you want me to go and learn Twi grin

Sorry to bring this in, your name sounds somehow. . ."omo alata" grin grin grin Do you know the meaning?

But whats the opinion of your husband?

1 Like

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by OmoAlata(f): 9:44pm On Oct 03, 2012
acidosis™:

Sorry to bring this in, your name sounds somehow. . ."omo alata" grin grin grin Do you know the meaning?

But whats the opinion of your husband?

grin grin grin The Ghanaians call Nigerians Mama alata or Mami alata to be precise so I thought it meant Nigerians or pepper seller grin. It was last year or so on Nairaland here that a lady told me it meant a bush girl shocked but I had already chosen the username. Told you my yoruba is poor grin

I went to a church when I was younger and they were singing, "Kilo mu tomi wa?" I thought it meant, What brought Tommy here? (you know, a boy named Tommy?) I kept on wondering why Tommy? Why not Peter or Paul? grin grin Kilo mu Peter wa? LOL

My husband is not happy. He wants all of us to go the same church as a family and he will not leave his Ghanaian church grin

15 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
ma'am you are funny. . .grin cheesy grin
Lmao grin @ ki lo mu tommy wa? grin

since they are ready to adjust the pattern of service, I'll advise you stay with your husband.. God needs you to stay with him in ministry..not just in the house smiley

3 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by OmoAlata(f): 10:09pm On Oct 03, 2012
acidosis™:
ma'am you are funny. . .grin cheesy grin
Lmao grin @ ki lo mu tommy wa? grin

grin grin grin grin grin LOL. I was so embarrased when I found out what it meant grin

since they are ready to adjust the pattern of service, I'll advise you stay with your husband.. God needs you to stay with him in ministry..not just in the house smiley

Thanks but I'll still go to MFM in the mornings wink
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 03, 2012
^ ^ good idea.. to help your prayer life.

(remember me in your prayers, pls )
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by miomonio: 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2012
Omo Alata:

grin grin grin The Ghanaians call Nigerians Mama alata or Mami alata to be precise so I thought it meant Nigerians or pepper seller grin. It was last year or so on Nairaland here that a lady told me it meant a bush girl shocked but I had already chosen the username. Told you my yoruba is poor grin

I went to a church when I was younger and they were singing, "Kilo mu tomi wa?" I thought it meant, What brought Tommy here? (you know, a boy named Tommy?) I kept on wondering why Tommy? Why not Peter or Paul? grin grin Kilo mu Peter wa? LOL

My husband is not happy. He wants all of us to go the same church as a family and he will not leave his Ghanaian church grin

@Omo Alata. ROTFL. grin grin grin Some parts of bible translations fell foul too trying to explain meanings of or interpret texts or verses. I will still advise to learn Ghana e.g Tiv. If you don't already know, start with "etise" and "borko" which means "Hi" and "am fine"
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by tpia5: 11:28pm On Oct 03, 2012
Better learn ghanaian because you'll just be the topic of discussion anytime you're the only non-ghanaian in their midst and it's best if you know what they're saying.

As per church, its up to you but you might want to attend both services until your husband hopefully comes around and follows you to a nigerian church where he'll be quite welcome because we nigerians are very accommodating people who like being nice to others.
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by OmoAlata(f): 6:21am On Oct 04, 2012
Thanks for the replies smiley
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ma'am,have u tried discussing dis wit ur hubby as a family? D truth is u are a help meet 2 him nd is suppose 2b wit him in ministry (especially)... It does nt pay 4 pple in a fam 2 attend diff churches,its a kinda tough 2 adjust 2 each oda's doctrines... God bless
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by OmoAlata(f): 12:19am On Oct 05, 2012
Omo Daddy354: Ma'am,have u tried discussing dis wit ur hubby as a family? D truth is u are a help meet 2 him nd is suppose 2b wit him in ministry (especially)... It does nt pay 4 pple in a fam 2 attend diff churches,its a kinda tough 2 adjust 2 each oda's doctrines... God bless

Yes I have and he said that the spirit is one. He said I don't need to understand what they are saying. I should just come and when they say Amen, I should say Amen. When they say Halleluyah, I should say Halleluyah. So I tried that 2 weeks ago. Half of the congregation stood up, half sat down. I was unsure whether to stand or sit. I wondered if the women were asked to stand but I saw a few men also standing. I wondered whether they asked people of a certain age to stand but the people standing were of various ages so I sat down ojare.

After the guy changed to English, I realised that they were actually praying with half sitting down and half standing shocked shocked On the way home, I told hubby that his suggestion had failed woefully and made no sense to me grin
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 05, 2012
Hi, to avoid conflict that will arise from this, why don't you get a personal language coach that will teach you Ghananian language? If you and your husband attend different churches, the family is already divided, and danger is coming soon. Even, the church members may see you as an intruder, because, how can a single person change their doctrine that they are only comfortable with. Its like you should tell CAC churches in Nigeria to start talking in Pure English because of 1 person, they would be like WTF. undecided . So Mam, to make things easier, I guess you should compromise with your husband, and work things out. You should try and stay where your husband is, else, you might start smelling rat behind your back.

1 Like

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by henwun(m): 6:59am On Oct 05, 2012
Omo Alata:

Yes I have and he said that the spirit is one. He said I don't need to understand what they are saying. I should just come and when they say Amen, I should say Amen. When they say Halleluyah, I should say Halleluyah. So I tried that 2 weeks ago. Half of the congregation stood up, half sat down. I was unsure whether to stand or sit. I wondered if the women were asked to stand but I saw a few men also standing. I wondered whether they asked people of a certain age to stand but the people standing were of various ages so I sat down ojare.

After the guy changed to English, I realised that they were actually praying with half sitting down and half standing shocked shocked On the way home, I told hubby that his suggestion had failed woefully and made no sense to me grin

Please I just spilled coffee on my wife! You damn cracking me seriously at the bolded parts

2 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Lachynos2k2(m): 7:05am On Oct 05, 2012
''kilo mu omoalata wa''? go learn your husband language joor..

2 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by bayulll01(m): 7:08am On Oct 05, 2012
kilomu tommy wa lol
maam sowie to say this
why ghanian ehn!!! To attnd two church is a joke,just learn their language and u wil be fyn!
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Leboska(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2012
Pray about it, but on a serious note you need to learn your husband's language it will unite the family more.

2 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by ojofu(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2012
i think the church should arrange for an interpreter for non Ghanaian in the church or ur husband should act as an interpreter for u, if he wants u to remain in that church or else move out. Atleast that is how it is done in my previous chhurch, we had interpreters for french speaking and elderly members that dont understand english.

2 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 05, 2012
These are issues that needed to be ironed out during courtship. I dnt have the opportunity to stay with a ghanian but i'm sure they would be nice and accomodating regardless of the unexplanable fued and obvious rivalry that is between them. If they could find an interpreter for the pastor as it is done in some Nigerian church eg. RCCG, TAC. However,i think you should support ur hubby. You must go to his ghanian speaking church and learn their language. A house divided against itself wil not stand. No matter how nice ur hubby is,he wil neva like the idea of u going to MFM and WCC genuinely. I cant allow my wife to go to a different church 4 whateva reason. Be wise
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by lillaowow(m): 7:19am On Oct 05, 2012
Omo Alata:

grin grin grin The Ghanaians call Nigerians Mama alata or Mami alata to be precise so I thought it meant Nigerians or pepper seller grin. It was last year or so on Nairaland here that a lady told me it meant a bush girl

"Kilo mu tomi wa?" I thought it meant, What brought Tommy here? (you know, a boy named Tommy?) I kept on wondering why Tommy? Why not Peter or Paul? grin grin Kilo mu Peter wa? LOL

ROTFLMAO.....*DIED WHILE LAUGHING*

YOUR YORUBA IS AWFULLY FUNNY
FIRST OF ALL, OMO ALATA MEANS "RAZZ" (the 9ja meaning) OR "BUSH" GIRL

YOU REALLY NEED TO LEARN THEIR LANGUAGE, IF NOT FOR ANYTHING RELIGIOUS, FOR YOUR MARRIAGE

so, tell me, what later happened to TOMMY? was he actually there? grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by chucky234(m): 7:20am On Oct 05, 2012
miomonio:

Most you quote already lengthy story?

1 Like

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by tpia5: 7:21am On Oct 05, 2012
i think many of the people on this thread have never interacted with ghanaians for any extended period of time.

poster, i salute you- is your husband nigerian-ghanaian or something [meaning was he raised in nigeria or has direct nigerian ancestry], or wetin you find reach their side?

you, a woman for that matter.

una try.

1 Like

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 05, 2012
Lets get straight to the root. It is very very necessary for you to learn the language of your husband. I feel you resent the language and this is going to not only present the problems of today, but the future as pertains culture. Learn the Ghanian dialect, I assume you love your husband, so you need to love his people too. I know nothing about church and their dogma, seems to be a lot of supra-brainwashing in Religion but I assume if you learn the language, everything will fall in place, including your religious soup.
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by bknight: 7:23am On Oct 05, 2012
Hilarious! cheesy

This pepper seller's got jokes grin
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by tpia5: 7:23am On Oct 05, 2012
Learn the Ghanian dialect

exactly.

moreso, since he's now back with his people.
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by princeFAD: 7:23am On Oct 05, 2012
I think omo alata just want to make us laugh.she is very funny. I dont believe the reality of her story.
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 05, 2012
U sure ar funny ma'am... Well i think i nw understnd u wel,bt still its a great deal if 4 any reason u're nt supporting ur hubby ministry..... If there are pple hu understand english very well dia, try making ur hubby c reasons y they shld make provisions 4 interpreters... Thats d only option nw aside frm u learning d lang, dats d way non-yoruba pple over here survive in CAC churches.
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by tpia5: 7:24am On Oct 05, 2012
prince FAD: I think omo alata just want to make us laugh.she is very funny. I dont believe the reality of her story.

hmmm, you think she's just winding us up?
Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by SlyIg(f): 7:25am On Oct 05, 2012
miomonio:

Must you quote that long writeup to make this few lines of comment? SMH.

1 Like

Re: Church Dilemma - Serious Replies Pls by White007(m): 7:26am On Oct 05, 2012
@Omo alata, u cracked me up for real. grin cheesy

On a serious note, I think it's high time you start learning ur hubby's language. No?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's Your Favourite Version Of The Bible? / Miracles From GCK — Prevailing Prayers / Why Do Pastors In Nigeria Pretend To Be Christians But Are Actually Freemasons??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.