Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,499 members, 7,801,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Red Peppers As A Base For Soups - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Red Peppers As A Base For Soups (1425 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Soups And Their Health Benefits. / Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups / Hot Peppers Lovers, Let's Talk About Spicy Peppers and food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by kieryn(f): 7:18pm On Oct 03, 2012
Whenever I cook (egusi,okra, ogbono, etc......) I always blended red peppers and hot peppers as the base of the soup.It was how I was thought to cook.I notice that many people, even online recipes I see use water or the meat stock as the base for stew. Does anyone prepare their soup likewise, or is this unnecessary? What recipes do you use with red peppers?
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by Ramcie(f): 7:49pm On Oct 03, 2012
I love pepper a lot also, but I mostly use meat stock and I add dried grounded Cameroon pepper to it cos the taste of Cameroon pepper is always different superb . My love for pepper is so much that my fiancé calls me a Yoruba woman and my mum monitors me whenever am in the kitchen cooking . grin
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by MissyB3(f): 2:14pm On Oct 08, 2012
What does ''as the base'' mean, please?

I use both pepper and broth, one is not a substitute for the other.
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 08, 2012
Missy_B: What does ''as the base'' mean, please?

I think she means which do you start cooking with first? When you want to cook soup, do you start with the meat stock before adding other ingredients or do you start with red pepper before moving on? I hope I explained it right undecided
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by MissyB3(f): 2:19pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ah! I get it now, thanks.

Neither pepper nor broth. Nor be oil usually be the 'base'? tongue
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 08, 2012
Missy_B: Ah! I get it now, thanks.

Neither pepper nor broth. Nor be oil usually be the 'base'? tongue
There are some soups I use oil as the base like Egusi and Ogbono. There are others I use meat stock as the base and oil is among the last things I add (eg Ora and Onugbu). I have never used red peppers as the base though.
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by MissyB3(f): 2:28pm On Oct 08, 2012
Never heard of Ora soup . . .I google-searched it and it looks like ogbono.

You start your Ogbono with oil? I start with broth and then add the ground ogbono.

1 Like

Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 08, 2012
Missy_B: Never heard of Ora soup . . .I google-searched it and it looks like ogbono.

You start your Ogbono with oil? I start with broth and then add the ground ogbono.
Ora soup is an Igbo soup, you might have heard people pronounce it as Oha (different dialects). I usually start my Ogbono with oil and then I add the ground ogbono and heat it a little bit (almost like when bleaching egusi). Well, I guess different methods for different people.

Ora/Oha soup.
[img]http://1.bp..com/-pJHSYeJlYig/UFZLdyFOv7I/AAAAAAAAAwI/anm4gnftqe0/s1600/oha+soup.jpg[/img]
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by kieryn(f): 4:03am On Oct 10, 2012
Missy_B: Missy_B]What does ''as the base'' mean, please?

It the "water" as my mom will say. I drain my meat stock leaving just a little for flavor then blend one red pepper and hot peppers (add tomatoes if making stew) and pour the mix into the pot to use as my water for soups adding ingredients accordingly.[quote

author=ItsModella]
There are some soups I use oil as the base like Egusi and Ogbono.[/quote]
Using oil as base doesnt it make the soup oily?
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by Nobody: 4:08am On Oct 10, 2012
kieryn:

It the "water" as my mom will say. I drain my meat stock leaving just a little for flavor then blend one red pepper and hot peppers (add tomatoes if making stew) and pour the mix into the pot to use as my water for soups adding ingredients accordingly.
Using oil as base doesnt it make the soup oily?
No, not at all. I later add the meat stock and every other thing so it doesn't come out oily.
Re: Red Peppers As A Base For Soups by maclatunji: 8:36am On Oct 10, 2012
Ogbono prepared in a certain way makes me want to puke. However, whenever I want to prepare it, I use bleached palm oil as its base. I use it to compliment the main soup I want to eat the swallow with.

(1) (Reply)

What’s In Chocolate, Cocoa That Might Benefit Brain Health? / Happy Sunday...what Are Your Favourite Kitchen Spices? / The First Cannibal Restaurant In The World In Japan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.