Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,425 members, 7,808,520 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge (7047 Views)

'Jonathan Refused To Approve Fourth Mainland Bridge' – Ambode / Lagos Commences Work On Fourth Mainland Bridge / What Are Your Views On Lagos Fourth Mainland Bridge ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by naptu2: 8:22am On Oct 04, 2012
[size=14pt]Lagos shops for new concessionaires for planned fourth Mainland Bridge[/size]

Thursday, 04 October 2012 00:00 By Ade Ogidan, Business Editor

LAGOS State Government may soon announce a new concessionaire for the planned 3.8-kilometre fourth Mainland Bridge that will link Olokanla Ajah, almost opposite Pan African University, in Eti-Osa East Local Council Development Area, with Ijede, on the outskirts of Ikorodu.

In the alternative, the government has mapped out a plan to solely finance the scheme, if suitable private sector partners could not be found.

Already, the search for the concessionaire has assumed a global dimension, after the Singaporean consortium, earlier slated for the project, was found to lack the capacity to execute it.

By the design of the bridge which will span Lagos Lagoon, an access road will be constructed off Lekki-Epe Expressway at Olokanla Ajah to the bridge head, while the waterfront communities of Baiyeku, Igbogbo will also be linked with Ijede, at Ikorodu end, with a network of roads, to connect the proposed facility.

The bridge, according to a top government official, was conceived as a strategic exit and inlet for the vast growing population in the Ajah-Lekki axis.

Specifically, it would be a utility infrastructure for the Free Trade Zone and the proposed airport, being planned by the state government in the area.

Sources could not put a timeline for the construction of the much-awaited bridge, but it was learnt that the state government was already working on a plan to construct the access roads to the two bridgeheads.

The administration, however, has the challenge of clearing the routes for the access roads, as a source at the state Ministry of Works and Infrastructure disclosed that the Ajah end of the bridge has been fully built-up.

“The state government would require up to N10 billion as compensation to house owners at Olokanla Ajah, whose properties are situated on the way to the bridge head. This is due to the fact that the identified suitable route has been fully built-up”, the source said.

It was also learnt that the Ijede, Ikorodu end too would take over N5 billion as compensation to property owners.

Even though, the road network would be more extensive at the Ijede, Ikorodu end, the property value were assessed to be much lower than at the Ajah axis .

The plan for the fourth Mainland Bridge started at the commencement of the current administration of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola, to ease vehicular traffic on the existing three bridges.

Indeed, the governor and his officials specifically made some trips to Singapore, as that single city nation was adopted as model for a new Lagos megacity development project.

The project was however stalled, as the consortium that was initially recommended for the job could not mobilise enough resources for it.

Consequently, the search for a new concessionaire began, with the administration considering proposals from several consortia around the globe, including about three local outfits that were said to have enlisted interest in the project.

But sources at the Governor’s Office disclosed that the administration might solely execute the project, if the prospective private sector investors fail to meet the expectations of the state government.

“The state government will not mind to go it alone as the project has become a serious political issue, which may undermine the credibility of the state government, if the scheme fails to take-off during the tenure of the current administration.

“I can confirm to you that the state government, under its ‘plan B’ initiative, has started approaching offshore sources for funding, since the project itself has been found financially viable”, the source added.

The project, under its initial public-private partnership arrangement, was scripted to attract tolls for users of the bridge, to, at least, recover costs for its execution.

Curiously, top officials of the state administration declined to make committal statements on the project, even as they, on condition of anonymity, affirmed government’s plan to ensure take-off of the scheme, soonest.

The proposed bridge will complement the three existing bridges—Carter, Eko and Third Mainland.

The Carter Bridge, built in 1901, is the oldest of the three bridges, connecting Lagos to the mainland. The bridge starts from Iddo on the mainland and ends at the Idumota area of Lagos Island.

The British colonial government, prior to Nigerian independence in 1960, originally constructed the Carter Bridge. After independence, the bridge was dismantled, redesigned and rebuilt during the late 1970s. The Alaka-Ijora flyover, on the Iddo end of the span was completed in 1973.

The parking of vehicles on the bridge has resulted in both severe road congestion in addition to contributing to its rapid deterioration.

In 2003, the Nigerian Institute of Structural Engineers noted that the parking of vehicles along the span might result in collapse if left unaddressed. To address this issue, the Lagos State government instituted a N50,000 fine for persons parking their vehicles along the span.

Additionally, in April 2006, the Lagos State Transport Commissioner announced that all commercial vehicles would be banned from entering Lagos Island by way of the Carter Bridge to keep buses and other vehicles from parking on the bridge.

The Eko Bridge, built by Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, connects the mainland to Apongbon area of Lagos Island.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100580:lagos-shops-for-new-concessionaires-for-planned-fourth-mainland-bridge&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by AjanleKoko: 2:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
Very ambitious from Fashola.
Heavily commercializing Lagos. In reality a very good development.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by Slizbeat(m): 2:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
Better than deporting people in their own country and number plates changing.cheesy, buh 4 real, its nice.
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by chucky234(m): 2:16pm On Oct 04, 2012
Concessionaire again,hmmm make I dey save small small so I go fit pay for toll oooo

1 Like

Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by AjanleKoko: 2:19pm On Oct 04, 2012
chucky234: Concessionaire again,hmmm make I dey save small small so I go fit pay for toll oooo

You dey pay tax?
If you don't pay tax, you should not feel bad. I pay tax, and also have to pay toll every day.
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by Jisunpack: 2:36pm On Oct 04, 2012
Wow! This super achiever is proving to be million light years ahead of his colleagues . Yet some reetards will bask arrogantly that "we are building Lagos".

Eko oni ba je cool
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by thaira(f): 2:37pm On Oct 04, 2012
I'm sure the occupants of Ikorodu will be real glad about this project. The daily crawl in and out of that place is serious. I see land prices shooting up once the project kicks off.
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 04, 2012
I love the creativity,ingenuinety,innovative and advancement plan of this mercurial government. This nation Lagos is better than Nigeria. Nigeria is a corrupt nation ruled by corrupt leaders,but Lagos is a great nation. Thank u President Fashola. You are the best.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
chucky234: Concessionaire again,hmmm make I dey save small small so I go fit pay for toll oooo
To people like u,i have just an advice. Leave Lagos and go back to Nigeria
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by pheesayor(m): 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
the fourth mainland bride which is long overdue would have been completed long ago if OBJ had not played politics with the idea back then, if concession is the way out then let it be, Lagos is on its own because it is not a PDP state and this is unfair. The other day GEJ called on Fashola to be open so they can work hand in hand but the truth is that PDP can't work with Lagos because it is ACN. Fashola knows this and is not waiting for the FG any longer for development. Kudos
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by Wallie(m): 2:55pm On Oct 04, 2012
I don't think people should complain about this road being tolled because driving on it is completely optional. Like the article said, there are 3 other bridges that connects you to your destination (Eko, Cater and 3rd Mainland) and if you do not want to pay toll, just get on the other bridges. People are always quick to point to taxes currently being paid to fund new and expensive infrastructural projects but I think they fail to realize that all the tax revenue being collected have already been allocated/spent.

Can you imagine someone living paycheck-to-paycheck being told to come up with money to buy a second house just so his kids will have more room to play? Where is the money going to come from?

Here's an extreme example of a tolled bridge in New York: George Washington Bridge that opened in 1931 at a cost of about $75 million currently charges $12 for Cars plying the bridge. What makes the toll more ominous is that fact that New York is the most heavily taxed state in the country. Why would people that are heavily taxed be made to pay $12 just to take a bridge?

The answer, which is also true for Lagos, lies in the fact that mega cities require mega infrastructures that has to be built and maintained by revenue the city is able to generate or borrow.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 04, 2012
Privatization is the way out of Nigeria's Socio-economic 'pot of soup'. I say we privatize by concession the national railway system, the interstate routes, and local airports systems, the Steel production factories and let everyone pay for every utility we use religiously. When the system tightens up, we subsidize the price regime. That's my economic model.
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by inspirenet: 3:25pm On Oct 04, 2012
This is good
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by PaulJohn1: 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2012
Was planning of buying land at Imota(Ikorodu) but postponed it, I pray the price has not gone wild angry
Ijebu ode(Ogun) people self go won increase land price grin
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by Akanbiedu(m): 4:07pm On Oct 04, 2012
I hope those who don't like toll would start protesting against building the bridge now.
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by drnoel: 5:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
I will know fashiola really means business if he pulls this one off nd not just planting flowers in lagos. Abi d man na gardner or what.
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by jayjam(m): 10:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
i just wish he could run for another term

1 Like

Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by drills: 2:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
Does anyone know the exact location where the fourth mainland bridge will be passing through in Lekki
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by onoc: 3:44pm On Dec 11, 2012
[b]Thinking of owning your own house….

Are you interested in owning one or several plots of land?
Then this is your dream come true…You too can become your own landlord in any of the following estates at Ikorodu

 Immaculate Conception Estate: N500k
 Sacred Heart of Jesus Estate: N400k per standard plot
 Christ the King Estate: N250k

o Under the management of Hythec Investment Company Ltd
o Coordinated by the Head of the Lagos Catholic Charismatic Renewal

Infrastuctures: Motorable Roads, Dry Land, electricity suppy under construction, along the expressway.

Instalmental payments for large number of plots can be arranged

Allocation immediately after your payment (first instalment for spread payments)

Building can commence immediately after allocation.

Site visitation arrangement available

For further enquiries, please call: 08170594703, 08099813003 or email seedchildconsults@yahoo.com

You don't want to miss out this opportunity.[/b]
Re: Lagos Seeks Concessionaires For Fourth Mainland Bridge by onoc: 3:46pm On Dec 11, 2012
[b]Thinking of owning your own house….

Are you interested in owning one or several plots of land?
Then this is your dream come true…You too can become your own landlord in any of the following estates at Ikorodu

 Immaculate Conception Estate: N500k
 Sacred Heart of Jesus Estate: N400k per standard plot
 Christ the King Estate: N250k

o Under the management of Hythec Investment Company Ltd
o Coordinated by the Head of the Lagos Catholic Charismatic Renewal

Infrastuctures: Motorable Roads, Dry Land, electricity suppy under construction, along the expressway.

Instalmental payments for large number of plots can be arranged

Allocation immediately after your payment (first instalment for spread payments)

Building can commence immediately after allocation.

Site visitation arrangement available

For further enquiries, please call: 08170594703, 08099813003 or email seedchildconsults@yahoo.com

You don't want to miss out this opportunity.[/b]

(1) (Reply)

Meaning Of Names Of 7 Igbo Governors, S/east, South / Nnamdi Kanu Goes Berserk In Court, Says ‘buhari Can’t Intimidate Me / Headline Inflation Increases to 11.98% In December 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.