Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! (18288 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 9:28am On Oct 04, 2012
We are delighted to be able to invite you to participate in a Debate session on Nairaland

Come and impact on the learning experience of members of Nairaland.

Topic of Debate:

Who is to blame when a child engages in sex ual activities without the right knowledge about harms associated with such;
is it the parents, media or teachers(government)?

OR

Child Soldiers, a good thing or not?. Should countries prosecute child soldiers for the crimes they committed during wartime? Should there be an international minimum age of criminal responsibility for war crimes and crimes against humanity?

Time:
24th & 25th of November, 2012

Judges:
Jaybee, Jarus, Oam4j, Roland17, Sisi_kill, Tgirl4real

Venue:
Literature/Writing Section, Nairaland

Project Team:
Pharoh & Assisted by Kpolli

Plagiarism Detectives:
Apply Within

Time Keeper:

Apply Within

Referees:

Whether black, white, Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa.
We are all Nigerians!
This is a reflection of diversity yet togetherness.
We Hope You Can Join Us!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 10:14am On Oct 04, 2012
TOPIC:

Who is to blame when a child engages in sex ual activities without the right knowledge about harms associated with such;
is it the parents, media or teachers(government)?

INTRODUCTION

With the increasing occurrence of Teenage pregnancy, r*ape and abortion in children and adolescents,
the arising question of the relevance of Sex ual education is definitely inevitable.

Sadly, parents, especially Africans often pretend these are non existent issues and shy away from the truth.
The question is whose job is it really to arm our Children, Teenagers and young adults with relevant information regarding sex?

After Birth, Children gradually develop inquisitive consciousness about sexuality;
the female child is treated in a subtle manner while the male child gradually assumes the role of the dad when he is not around.

A child no matter how innocent is conscious and naturally drawn to the opposite sex,
because of the natural instinct built into our genes.

This is why there is need for sex ual education as soon as possible, when a parent feels the child can understand,
more so when physical characteristics like development of brea st, menstruation, hips begin to show in girls,
while the boys begin to grow beards, developed broad shoulders and deep voices and in several cases have wet dreams.

WHO'S TO BLAME?

Studies about sex ual activities between an adult and a child have examined the impact of sexual abuse based on the role of the child
(i.e., encouraging, passive, resisting) to ascertain the responsibility of the child and the adult perpetrator in the act.

Significantly, blames have been apportioned more to the child and significantly less responsibility to the perpetrator when the child
was described as encouraging the encounter

Should children who remained passive be held significantly more responsible than those who resisted?

Should the adult/perpetrator be held significantly more responsible even if he was encouraged by the child?

Should children be blamed for perceiving the abuse as disgusting and coping with the abuse by pretending it never happened?

Should a child be blamed for having a close relationship with the perpetrator, experiencing severe sex ual abuse
(e.g., long-lasting abuse that involved penetration?)

Parents are more likely to blame and doubt their children when their child has been sexually abused by another adolescent instead of an adult.

The society, the government, the media, teachers and the parents have been blamed for the lack of guidance,
sex ual education and educational programs to raise public awareness about the helplessness felt by sex ual abuse victims and the needs of male victims in particular.

It is a known fact that sex ual abuse and decadence in morality has been on the increase in modern times due to one contributing factor or the other.
One of these factors has been identified to be the exposure to the internet or World Wide Web.
Our fore parents and old traditional society was able to curb this disease to considerable one or two negative occurrence when there was no internet.

Now with the emergence of formal education, the World Wide Web, smart phones and liberalized media, the scourge seems to have increased.
So we ask our intending debaters if lack of proper sex ual education should still be blamed on our parents or should it be shifted to the media or teachers who are responsible for enlightenment and formal education in the modern society.
Who is more equipped or qualified to impact such kind of education,
do we need standard and formalized method for this type of education or the normal parental guidance is enough to properly guide
these youngsters even in the face of the internet and sophisticated windows of exposure to immorality.
Who takes the Bulk of the Blame?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ok.grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Okijajuju1(m): 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2012
Walks into thread.. Looks around, cant find my name on the list or Judges or Debaters.. Thinks about pissing all over the thread.. But change my mind and piss all over the BOKO HARAM sympatiser in the room... Walks back to Upper IWEKA!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Afam4eva(m): 2:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
How are the contestants even chosen sef?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 3:02pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva: How are the contestants even chosen sef?

Expert judgement of Literature Section's Moderator.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Okijajuju1(m): 3:05pm On Oct 04, 2012

Good Ajuju
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Afam4eva(m): 3:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji:

Expert judgement of Literature Section's Moderator.
Doesn't this sound dictatorial? I think people should be asked to vote for whom they want to be part of the debate. I also think the politics section should always be co-host of this event because the topics are usually politically inclined one way or the other.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 3:15pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:
Doesn't this sound dictatorial? I think people should be asked to vote for whom they want to be part of the debate. I also think the politics section should always be co-host of this event because the topics are usually politically inclined one way or the other.

The politics section has always been co-host of the debate.
The two moderators of the potics section are always part of the judges.
Oam4j and I organized the last debate session together.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Afam4eva(m): 3:17pm On Oct 04, 2012
Cuddlemii:

The politics section has always been co-host of the debate.
The two moderators of the potics section are the part of the judges.
We all communicate offline to make it a success.
Apart from Kobojunkie, everyone else are not politics aficionados...you find most of them in the romance section.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Okijajuju1(m): 3:23pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:
Apart from Kobojunkie, everyone else are not politics aficionados...you find most of them in the romance section.

#GBAM!! @ Bolded I was expecting to see a line up of strong analytical Nairalanders on that list!! No wonder that Mujahadeen was excited!! angry
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 3:25pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:

Did you watch the American Presidential debate? I ask because I am going to repeat what Obama said there and I feel you may be persuaded more by him than you would be by me.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 3:32pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:

I think you need to revisit the first debate session we had to understand things better. I have explained this over and over again.

The last debate wasn't done by the politics sec members and yet they did a good job.

The fact that members don't contribute on the politics section doesn't make them incompetent or ignorant(opp of knowledgeable).

This isn't even about the politics section, its promoting diversity & unity. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 3:34pm On Oct 04, 2012
Cuddlemii:

I think you need to revisit the first debate session we had to understand things better. I have explained this over and over again.

The last debate wasn't done by the politics sec members and yet they did a good job.

The fact that members don't contribute on the politics section doesn't make them incompetent or ignorant(opp of knowledgeable).

This isn't even about the politics section, its promoting diversity & unity. Thanks!

@bolded, you need to make that crystal clear from the beginning.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by CrazyMan(m): 3:35pm On Oct 04, 2012
Seems like a very selective debate to me...

But good luck to it anyway.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Okijajuju1(m): 3:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
CrazyMan: Seems like a very selective debate to me...

See Igbo Marginalization for the list sef!!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 3:43pm On Oct 04, 2012

Selective?
What do you mean?
It's not possible for all female members of Nl to debate.
I always give room for interested members to be added, I am not mean smiley.
It's better to have a structure that can be modified.
If not,we would use a whole year in selecting participants
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by jaybee3(m): 3:50pm On Oct 04, 2012

Topic of Debate:

***Under Construction*** Child Soldiers, Slavery, Child Trafficking and Domestic Child Help Abuse

Your analytical prowess should have enable you deduce the main reason for the gender specific selection criterion.
Looks like the topic being lined for discussion has more to do with the women than the men therefore it's only natural for it to be gender specific
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Okijajuju1(m): 3:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
jay bee:

Topic of Debate:

***Under Construction*** Child Soldiers, Slavery, Child Trafficking and Domestic Child Help Abuse

Your analytical prowess should have enable you deduce the main reason for the gender specific selection criterion.
Looks like the topic being lined for discussion has more to do with the women than the men therefore it's only natural for it to be gender specific

Is KoboJunkie a chick?!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by maclatunji: 3:54pm On Oct 04, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Selective?
What do you mean?

grin cheesy grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Afam4eva(m): 3:55pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ohh, so this is a female-only debate...Nna na waoo
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by jaybee3(m): 3:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

Is KoboJunkie a chick?!
Have you ever met any man in your life that argues like they are in a loop?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by CrazyMan(m): 3:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
Cuddlemii: Selective?
What do you mean?
I see...

Romance debate is going down tonight (strictly ladies for today) yours also (strictly ladies)

Its well.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by CrazyMan(m): 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva: Ohh, so this is a female-only debate...Nna na waoo
Exactly what I'm trying to point out...
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by CrazyMan(m): 4:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
jay bee: Topic of Debate:

Ok...

Let's keep our fingers crossed then...
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:06pm On Oct 04, 2012
jay bee:
Have you ever met any man in your life that argues like they are in a loop?

I see

@ Cuddlemii... I guess I owe you an apology... I thought you were being an @%^#)(!. I'm sorry I tried to piss on your thread!! kiss

Since its a ladies only debate, please add Maclatunji to the list.. Rabies has never looked so good on a biitch before..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by cowgurl: 4:31pm On Oct 04, 2012
Hi Cuddles,
got your pm.

Before I indicate my interest, I'll like to know how the contestants are suppose to 'argue for' the said motion (with great emphasis on Child) cos I personally do not see any benefits/advantages to the above topic.
well, that's me talking, other contestants may have differing views to mine, so 'l just chill for them all to say something.

@Jaybee, you a judge in this so you need to watch your language so you don't scare the contestants away (no pun intended).
Thank you.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Rocktation(f): 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
Kk. I'll check back for time and title.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Cuddlemii: 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
cowgurl: Hi Cuddles,
got your pm.

Before I indicate my interest, I'll like to know how the contestants are suppose to 'argue for' the said motion (with great emphasis on Child) cos I personally do not see any benefits/advantages to the above topic.
well, that's me talking, other contestants may have something, so 'l just chill for them all to say something.

@Jaybee, you a judge in this so you need to watch your language so you don't scare the participants away (no pun intended).
Thank you.

You can always argue against, lolz.

The topic is still under construction and I will put what you said into consideration.

As you advised, let's wait for other contestants cos they might have suggestions as well.

Thanks!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by jaybee3(m): 5:07pm On Oct 04, 2012
cowgurl:

@Jaybee, you a judge in this so you need to watch your language so you don't scare the contestants away (no pun intended).
Thank you.
Noted
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by Ejine(m): 5:27pm On Oct 04, 2012

Wear a G-String and dance in front of Missy B. Only then shall you qualify.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! by cowgurl: 5:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
Cuddlemii:
You can always argue against, lolz.

The topic is still under construction and I will put what you said into consideration.

As you advised, let's wait for other contestants cos they might have suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Lol. Yeah, I know that.
'l be following..

@Judge Jaybee,
thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / Sweet And Secret Valentine By Rose Chibimobim Akpabio (seductive And Exciting) / Mysteries Of NoLand (Book 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.