Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again (55129 Views)

The Queens And Kings Of Nigerian TV Soap Operas ( Photos ) / Soap Operas Of Late 80's And Early 90's / Current Nigerian Soap Operas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 04, 2012
I remember back then, whilst growing up in the days when we had limited television channels to watch, that we had to make do with whats available. I think it was Just NTA 10, NTA 2 channel 5, NTA 7, LTV8 and OGTV all of which were Government owned that used to operate on our airwaves. No DSTV and the only Satellite provider available was ABG.

These stations made us love watching TV with primetime programmes especially with foreign soap operas that took the airwaves. Some of these soaps/Telenovelas are the best ever and one can only reminiscence these soaps. The old folks would remember some, whilst some new folks would remember some of the new ones that have recently been aired .

Some of the soaps will be highlighted below

NO ONE BUT YOU (NTA 10)
THE RICH ALSO CRY
ISURA THE SLAVE GIRL
SECRET OF THE SAND
WILD ROSE Rosa Salvaje
LADY OF THE ROSE
WHEN YOU ARE MINE (CUANDO SEAS MIA)
THE GARDENERS DAUGHTER
CATALINA AND SEBASTIAN
SECOND CHANCE
Camila
SANTA BABRA
THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
YOUNG AND RESTLESS
MARIA DE LOS ANGELES
La mujer el de janeiro
and many others. These are the few i can remember for now.

You can share ur experience on the ones you love the most

6 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
I'll start the reminiscence with WILD ROSE that aired on NTA network around 1994-1996

It starred the popular Mexican actress Verónica Castro, who played the main character, "Rosa", co-starring with Guillermo Capetillo as her love interest and Laura Zapata as the villain of the story.

This telenovela was a huge success in Mexico, Latin America, Bulgaria, Croatia, Serbia, Russia, Estonia, China and the United States and provided the template for numerous other Latin American soap operas in terms of story, plot twists and characters for years to come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMNoaTQvgYs

the theme song rosa, aya ye lol

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 04, 2012
NTA network did well back then in the 90s with the telenovela the rich also cry starring Verónica Castro, Rogelio Guerra and Rocío Banquells. Castro also sang the theme Aprendí a Llorar ("I learned to cry"wink, a song written by Lolita de la Colina. The telenovela was produced by Chilean Valentín Pimstein and Carlos Romero, it was directed by Rafael Banquells. The story was written by Inés Rodena and adapted by Valeria Philips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1etcKcxzEg
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 04, 2012
will anyone evr forget Tú o nadie No one but you? that was classic. NTA 10 every saturday in the 90s
Max and Antonio the stepbrothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqtmjgH_NLg

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 04, 2012
SEcret of the sand was one of my best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGOSqeLW9Y&feature=related

The intro song is super. Thanks to NTA back then

It was written by Ivani Ribeiro with the contribution of Solange Castro Neves and directed by Wolf Maya, Ignácio Coqueiro and Carlos Magalhães. It is a remake of the soap opera of same name that aired at defunct Rede Tupi from 1973 to 1974, when Eva Wilma portrayed the two main characters of the plot (the twins Ruth and Rachel)

11 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2012
Escrava Isaura

Based on the novel of the same name by 19th century abolitionist writer Bernardo Guimarães, it tells the story of the struggles of Isaura, a white-skinned black slave, to find happiness during the Brazilian Empire. It was starred by Lucélia Santos in the titular role, and Rubens de Falco as slave owner Leôncio Almeida, the main antagonist.[1] It was adapted by Gilberto Braga, and directed by Herval Rossano and Milton Gonçalves, running 100 episodes.
Escrava Isaura became one of the most popular telenovelas in the world, being broadcast in over 80 countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV5VwGVecRs

isaura the slave girl

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 04, 2012
Cant forget the rich also cry
Esmeralda
second chance
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 04, 2012
l love wild rose die followed by when you are mine and second chance
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by semid4lyfe(m): 2:59am On Oct 05, 2012
Aaah. . .my good friend toba taking me down memory lane kiss

Those soaps/telenovellas were the bomb back then and I followed the episodes on TV as if my life depended on it.

Funnily enough, my Sis has most of these Mexican telenovelas on DVD and watching them again, I can't stand 'em for 5 minutes.

Just too many unrealistic and unnecessary coincidences, twists & turns and prolonged supense for my liking. Also, I find 'em too sappy, wishy-washy and melodramatic. I guess that boy has grown into a man and I see things differently now wink tongue

Santa Barbara (American), The Love Boat (American), Young and Restless (American), The Bold and the Beautiful (American), The Rich Also Cry (Mexican), Secret of the Sands (Mexican), No One But You (Mexican) were my favourites back then.

When You Are Mine (Cuando Seas Mia), The Gardeners Daughter, Catalina and Sebastian, Second Chance are a little more recent

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Seamah: 4:42am On Oct 05, 2012
CHECKMATEc

2 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by k2039: 4:52am On Oct 05, 2012
[size=13pt]Diego and Paloma,When you are mine
[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3y15wRRroA

2 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by vichofu(m): 5:08am On Oct 05, 2012
no one is talking bout our dearly beloved ' TALES BY MOONLIGHT' , CHECKMATES, D REAL SUPER STORIES(Suara,Abike and Toyin tomatoe)

2 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Cuddlemii: 5:16am On Oct 05, 2012
Nice topic!

Aye Toto, Aye Akamora - I started with this. I loved it because it was cultural/traditional. Always looked forward to it after Newsline on Sundays.

Checkmate - Loved this, it was star studded and interesting. All those adverts/commercials associated with the soap opera added spice to it.

Agbara Nla- Yay, loved this too because of the spiritual combats and all. The theme song was fun too..***Agbara toju Agbara lo****

Things Fall Apart - hehehe...Okonkwo!!! I love the theme song..***things fall apart, that the kettle can not hold things fall apart, fall apart fall apart***
I used to call it kettle and not center, lolz

Kunta Kinte - The whole slavery ish was pitiful.

When You Are Mine- I bought the DVD and didn't go to bed that night. This was a very good one! Very creative and interesting.

Maria The Los Angeles- I saw this because of Orquidea Cordoba Escalante and her romance with that man that lost of hand or something.

Secret Of The Sand was not bad. Loved the concept & theme.

Rentaghost, dr who, frank spencer- those British actsgrin grin grin

Halo halo- that ashewo french man that was a player made me like this. Their accents were funny.

Every other one listed by the op, I have seen and enjoyed.

What is the name of the one with Miguel(john tucker must die main actor) or whatever, I refused to see it cos of the hype, my school mates made me loose interest.

7 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by princeonx: 5:19am On Oct 05, 2012
This one might be older than most of you here lol

Pot of life! Amiwu

What about willy willy (not even sure of the real name but that sh!.t scares the hell out of me)
What about "frank spencer" that was one funny show!

2 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by azimibraun: 5:37am On Oct 05, 2012
The new masqurade and the new village headmaster wia a classic mk una liv mehicans/latinos opera out of dis ish abeg.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by azimibraun: 5:38am On Oct 05, 2012
Who wanna try JAGUA? If no be ur bello o! And Ur head o! U go dey scream all day and nite...

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by kawkab: 5:41am On Oct 05, 2012
Second Chance

Bassey and Company

Behind the Cloud

Things Fall Apart

Another Life

Checkmate

3 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by mkmyers45(m): 5:46am On Oct 05, 2012
I almost got hit by a bus because of Wild Rose...Most of these Opera were like Opium back then..Nepa sure recieved a lot of insults for any slightest Bleep up..
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by ayojango(m): 5:51am On Oct 05, 2012
Donnie and Marie.

Different Strokes

Samford N Son

Roseanne.

Faulty Towers

3 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by akorlade(m): 6:06am On Oct 05, 2012
Shaka the zulu
Kinta kunte
The rich also cry
Izura the slave

This are classics. Not the crap the see show on TV this days.

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by uglyBetty1(f): 6:16am On Oct 05, 2012
What of Ishawulu,I saw it on TV recently but they have stopped it, OMG, that Jaguar and willy Willy was something else. I used to hide behind my brother when we watched it back then and will always cover my face when willy Willy appears.

Maria de los Angeles, I think there was one dt had Ho hei or something as a character. Then I was in boarding house and one of my class mate was a day student, when she comes to school in d morning, we will mandate her to tell us what happened.

The days of Old, mgbe enu ka bu ani osa, mgbe ezi di na ukwu ukwa.

4 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by FKO1(m): 6:16am On Oct 05, 2012
mehn no soap like
barbarita
second chance
shades of sin.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by mkmyers45(m): 6:19am On Oct 05, 2012
akorlade: Shaka the zulu
Kinta kunte
The rich also cry
Izura the slave

This are classics. Not the crap the see show on TV this days.
I agree..
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Cupidkc(m): 6:20am On Oct 05, 2012
azimibraun: Who wanna try JAGUA? If no be ur bello o! And Ur head o! U go dey scream all day and nite...
U remind me of funi "jagua"...oh dt ws a nice piece. Cnt 4gt "willy willy",only d soundtrack wl put u at d edge of ur sit(scary).
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by uglyBetty1(f): 6:22am On Oct 05, 2012
I also love Checkmate, used to love RMD then and dt stiff Ego Boyo. Danddy, and lots more that I can't remember. Even Oge Umuaka, for those of us that grew up in Enugu. I hate 9'O'clock news then. It was only newsline that I love watching because it was like flim to me those days because it used to show events.

2 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 05, 2012
Wild rose, agbara nla and checkmate were IT for me back then. Poor NEPA, they suffered those days.

2 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Cupidkc(m): 6:27am On Oct 05, 2012
ugly Betty: OMG, that Jaguar and willy Willy was something else. I used to hide behind my brother when we watched it back then and will always cover my face when willy Willy appears.

Oops! Ar u my sis? Cos u actd d same way she did wneva dt wily wily appears. Lol...
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by DonHummer(m): 6:32am On Oct 05, 2012
You are my passion 4 lyyyf.....
Love to watch Passions again...didnt evn complete it .

6 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by AMvanquish: 6:33am On Oct 05, 2012
"No one but You" was a classic confirmed! Remember when the whole house
Would assemble @ 8pm every weekday jus to watch that soap b4 the 9pm
News.. U dare not change that channel, cos my mum to sisters would
Tear u too shreds. My Dad would not even dare.. I remember "Radamas Basanta"
And "Orquidea cordoba escalante" in d soap. Those names are like signtures
In my brain.. How time flies.... Classic oldies

3 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by folafola(m): 6:34am On Oct 05, 2012
here is my list
ARELU
OMO ARAYE LE
KUNTA KUNTE
WILLY WILLY ibo play on ghost
THINGS FALL APART
TALES BY MOONLIGHT
IFA OLOKUN
OMO ARAYE LE
IYA ITUNU A XSTIAN PLAY WITH PILE RERE

THE MASQUERADE
EFE with baba Ijesa on NTA
KOGUN MAJA
AKARA OOGUN
AWADA KERIKERI
FAST MAN
VILLAGE HEADMASTER
OMO INU OKU
SPIDER MAN
VOTRON
DO YOUR THING (INCREDIBLE HULK)lol
WILD WILD ANIMALS
KOTO ORUN
AND MORE I CANNOT SPELL RIGHTLY EG CHESTEMESTRY?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: Vote That Got Teddy A Evicted From The House With His Babe, BamBam / Indomie Generation Wont Know What These Things Are (+PICTURES) / BBNaija: Mike 'Tacha Has Body Odour'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.