Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again (55152 Views)

The Queens And Kings Of Nigerian TV Soap Operas ( Photos ) / Soap Operas Of Late 80's And Early 90's / Current Nigerian Soap Operas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by category(m): 10:44am On Oct 05, 2012
Back then, on black and white television. Where with u screw the buttons
to locate the channels on VHF before carefully and skillfully turning ur UHF button as the case may be.
Although u have to wait till 4pm to be greeted by some rainbow-like lining on ur screen for @ least 30 mins.
Followed by the then very regarded national athem before an array of programmes. (It has tayyyed)
My operas used to be:
-Village Head master
-Cock crow at dawn
-Mirror in the sun
-Tales by moon light
-The new masquerades
-Pot of life
not forgetting to join FRANK OLIZEH later RUTH BENE MARSHAL OPIA on news line on sundays by 9pm...

It has really tayyyed...

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by JOXY(f): 10:45am On Oct 05, 2012
The following always glued me to my seat back then.

Mirrow in the Sun
For Better for worse
Winds against my Soul
Saseme Street
Tales by Moonlight
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by lukaino(m): 10:54am On Oct 05, 2012
MIRROR IN THE SUN- i remember the Late Nosa
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 05, 2012
Nairaland=info:
@topic
Mehn the best has alwayz bin' No One But You' evun d 1st soap opera: 'The Rich Also Cry' cannot & wil neva b compared 2 it @tobi can u rememba dat d 2nd soap on dat stupid network(nta) waz :No 1 But U
I think no one but you was the first back then around 1991/92
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 05, 2012
The Rich Also Cry was a masterpiece. But as a novelist I bow to the artistic profundity that Rebacca came with. Am surprised nobody is mentioning Rebacca. It was shown in Jos television between 2006 and 2007. Was a corper there then.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Akuviv: 11:25am On Oct 05, 2012
I would love to rewatch Checkmate, Return to the blue Lagoon, Wild rose, Secret of the sand
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Francheezy(m): 11:30am On Oct 05, 2012
Generati0ns
Passi0ns
Second Chance
D0nt mess wit an aNgeL
Rafaela
Daniela- ah x0 luv diz 1

And
EL'CARTEL - my fav0uryTe
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by vicade(m): 12:12pm On Oct 05, 2012
Sunday Rendevouz-Every sunday morning a bunch of people dance crazy in a club and 2 people compete by drinking limca with straw at the end.

Fortunes-Regina Askia and Co

Tales by Moonlight Sundays 6:30pm

Storyland

Speak Out

Junior Debate

Cadbury BreakFast show ever saturday morning

Checkmate

Robin Hood

Dr. Who

No one but you

Baba Suwe erikeke Monday evenings on NTA 7

Square one or Square something. It was a maths show

Childhood was magnificent.

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by joanana(f): 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2012
Passions!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Theme Song by Jane French!!!!
I would hold the hand of the one who could lead me places
And kiss the lips of the one who could sing so sweet
And I would fly on a wings of a bird I knew could take me highest
Breathe in, breathe out
You keep me alive
You are the fire burning inside
Breathe in breathe out
You keep me alive
You are my fire, my passions for life

The soap opera put in trouble oooo, one night i heard the song in my sleep, n i got up from the bed n i didn't look down what i heard was a sound of a broken plate... Mumsie show me her true colours that night!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Onyiip(f): 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2012
i loved passions
sunset beach
second chance
when you are mine
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by oferefe(f): 12:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
Checkmate, though i was still small then, didnt get the storyline but i could remember my sister loved watching it and was always talking about it, how i love to see the film now.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by jawjaw1: 12:30pm On Oct 05, 2012
@Op has created a topic that has definitely kept the younger ones out, too bad.
I still remember most of these programmes like they were yesterday. They held little minds like me then spell bound.
But those any one remember, especially if you grew up in Northern Nigeria, 'Magana Ja Riche ' (hope I spelt it right)?
It's a series of a bird that tells a story to a man. If I recall correctly too, it won National honours back then.
Man, those were the good old days

2 Likes

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by sucezTP(f): 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2012
toba.:
l love wild rose die followed by when you are mine and second chance

'Passions' came before 'when you are mine'..

I can't compare any of those operas with passions. It was my fave then..

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 05, 2012
for those that live in the North:
Samanja
Karanbana
Maganan Jariche
Jaguar
etc

All on NTA Kaduna.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Olumogun: 1:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
I LOVE TO WATCH : THE LADY OF THE ROSE (again and again)
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nimi22(f): 1:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
Wild Rose
Passions
Checkmate
After the storm
Beyond our dream. These were my favourites then.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by didisky(m): 2:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
Chei! I miss plenty
Second chance
Bassey and company
Cock crow at dawn

I can't remember d rest but it was fun
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by UjSizzle(f): 2:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
EGOLI-place of gold.
All about Camilla
The rich also cry
Passions
Carlifornia Dreams

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by solomonkane(m): 2:51pm On Oct 05, 2012
I remember the day they showed the concluding episode of Cuando Seas Mia, the whole school was like a graveyard and when Diego and Paloma finally got married, you would have thought Nigeria had won the World Cup, so much hugging and backslapping. Some boys even declared booze.

FOREIGN
Rich Also Cry
Secrets Of The Sand (Ruth and Racquel)
Wild Rose
Lady Of The Rose
Passions (especially Luis and Sheridan)
Jake & The Fat Man
Never really liked Another Life, Bold and The Beautiful, Dallas and others like that.
NIGERIAN
Ripples
C.O.C.K Crow At Dawn
Behind The Clouds (Zack Amata a.k.a Papa Nosa; proper stone cold man)
Fortune
Palace (launched Funmilola Aofiyebi)
New Masquerade
Village Headmaster
Things Fall Apart
Willy Willy (Scariest S.O.B of that era)
Bassey & Company (Ken Saro Wiwa)

Men!!! Those were indeed the golden days, feel kinda sorry for my unborn kids that they missed such innocent times.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by rabonni(m): 3:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
another life

after the storm

mirrior in the sun

utimate power
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by hardbody: 4:18pm On Oct 05, 2012
semid4lyfe: Aaah. . .my good friend toba taking me down memory lane kiss

Those soaps/telenovellas were the bomb back then and I followed the episodes on TV as if my life depended on it.

Funnily enough, my Sis has most of these Mexican telenovelas on DVD and watching them again, I can't stand 'em for 5 minutes.

Just too many unrealistic and unnecessary coincidences, twists & turns and prolonged supense for my liking. Also, I find 'em too sappy, wishy-washy and melodramatic. I guess that boy has grown into a man and I see things differently now wink tongue

Santa Barbara (American), The Love Boat (American), Young and Restless (American), The Bold and the Beautiful (American), The Rich Also Cry (Mexican), Secret of the Sands (Mexican), No One But You (Mexican) were my favourites back then.

When You Are Mine (Cuando Seas Mia), The Gardeners Daughter, Catalina and Sebastian, Second Chance are a little more recent

I was living ahead of my time so i knew i could not stand watching those things then, i still cant stand watching any of them now. That is just who i am.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by AnuStacy(f): 4:45pm On Oct 05, 2012
passions was good but annoyingly long,the young and the restless,bold and the beautiful and days of our lives are still running . i could watch second chance,secrets of the sand,when you're mine,all about camila,maria del los angeles, woman of my life,lady of the rose...omo dem plenty oh grin
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by duality(m): 4:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
so nobody mentioned
ROOT (the slave trade story) and

ICHEKWU (the court room with an IGBO interpreter)

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 05, 2012
emilyone: secret of the sand and wild rose was the in thing in the mid 90s cheesy giving me nostalgia

yea. Quite good.
Remember *Maria De Los Angeles? *The Rich Also Cry ? Great stuff going on the... cheesy
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by oldlord(m): 6:03pm On Oct 05, 2012
did u ever watch Another life?
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by 2ndeRodriguez(m): 6:16pm On Oct 05, 2012
seems am d only 1 that watched "passions"mmmmmmmm lipsrsealed
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 05, 2012
2ndeRodriguez: seems am d only 1 that watched "passions"mmmmmmmm lipsrsealed
Not really. lol. just that passion cant stand when u are mine, second chance, wild rose etc

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Claracuzio: 6:25pm On Oct 05, 2012
Willi willi
Alakalaka, njali, ibeiere and panya (artel)
RSTV for life
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Areaboy2(m): 6:26pm On Oct 05, 2012

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by nutigal: 6:47pm On Oct 05, 2012
When YOu are mine, Camila, Second chance--- all Mexican.
Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by QueenAw(f): 6:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
Sweet memories...

Why can't NTA copy some of the old tv programs & soaps into DVDs to sell? I'm sure they'll make a lot of money which can be used to provide better broadcasting services? Especially the local programs? I know some of our senior citizens will have a nice time watching them again. I know my mum wouldn't mind! smiley
Today, even stv & co are better stations than NTA. Why is it that anything the government owns hardly improves? Rather, they tend to deteriorate overtime?

1 Like

Re: Past Soap Operas/telenovas You'll Love To Watch Over And Over Again by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 05, 2012
nutigal: When YOu are mine, Camila, Second chance--- all Mexican.
l love them all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: Mike 'Tacha Has Body Odour' / Eric Took Advantage Of My Weakness - Lilo / BBNaija: Nina Confronts Miracle For Telling Other Housemates They Had Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.