Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,427 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed (41683 Views)

If You Are Disappointed In Buhari Ministerial List, ...... / Danjuma Azemobo Musa Responds To Achebe's New Book / Edo Election: We Are Disappointed – PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 07, 2012
Awolowo to Achebe: We are disappointed
On October 7, 2012 · In News

The storm generated by renown novelist, Prof Chinua Achebe, over his claim that war-time Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, and the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo formulated the policy of genocide against Igbo during the civil war continued, yesterday.

Awolowo’s daughter, Dr (Mrs) Tokunbo Awolowo-Dosunmu, said she was disappointed about Achebe’s claim.

She also hinted that the Awolowo family may issue a formal response on the controversial claim by the novelist in his latest memoir on Biafra, ‘There was a country’.

But a former governor of Anambra State, Dr Chinwoke Mbadinuju, said whatever Achebe said about the civil war should be taken seriously.

Mbadinuju cited the novelist’s antecedents.

Awolowo was the vice chairman of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), equivalent of deputy to Gowon, during the civil war.

Dr Awolowo-Dosunmu told Sunday Vanguard, yesterday, while responding to the Achebe claim: “One is still trying to come to terms with the sense of disappointment about the person who wrote what is now a brewing controversy in the country.

“While a formal statement responding to the offensive comments of the writer is being prepared by the family all I can say for now is that I feel so disappointed”.

But, Mbadinuju, defending Achebe, said: “I have not read the book. I don’t want to speculate. During the civil war, I was studying in the United States of America. However, I have absolute confidence in Prof Chinua Achebe. He is an acclaimed international scholar and figure; whatever he says about the civil war should be taken seriously.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/awolowo-to-achebe-we-are-disappointed/
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 07, 2012
Shameless old man!

11 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by saintneo(m): 8:59am On Oct 07, 2012
^^^ should he ashamed of saying the truth?

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Dede1(m): 9:31am On Oct 07, 2012
Why should telling the plain truth turned into controversy by certain moronic Nigerians? Awolowo had mercurially defended his policy of starvation as a weapon of war in several interviews he conducted. He even went further to elaborate by stating it was foolhardy to feed your enemy to be strong so as to continue fighting and prolonging the war.

47 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by kettykin: 10:01am On Oct 07, 2012
Awolowo is the only Civilian dead or alive who became a vice president under a Military head of state , No other Civilain had done this in any nation of the world .

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by kettykin: 10:04am On Oct 07, 2012
kindabigg: Shameless old man!

This same shameless old man was voted as the most influential African by time Magazine , the only other person that ever got voted for the same role was Nelson Mandela . His Novel has been translated into al the major languages of the world

Question is if Achebe was Useless , how would you classify Obasanjo,Awolowo,Diya

71 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by warrior01: 10:21am On Oct 07, 2012
Eeya! Mrs tokunbo awolowo is disappointed that her father was a murderer. Take heart dear; the truth only hurts it doesn't kill.

56 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by MrGlobe(m): 10:23am On Oct 07, 2012
Achebe's tribesman (Mr. Globe) to Awolowo's Daughter: I am disappointed with the international court of justice for not trying Awolowo (the ancestor of a useless tribe) for genocide post humously.

29 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 07, 2012
Just passing by.
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by T9ksy(m): 10:37am On Oct 07, 2012
Dede1: Why should telling the plain truth turned into controversy by certain moronic Nigerians? Awolowo had mercurially defended his policy of starvation as a weapon of war in several interviews he conducted. He even went further to elaborate by stating it was foolhardy to feed your enemy to be strong so as to continue fighting and prolonging the war.

Look who's talking about the "truth", as if you 'll recognise one if it jumps and smack you right on the nose.

All you do on this forum is obsfuscate stories or downright revisionism as this your senile old tribeman has just done.

That's what you guys are known for-outright lies and empty chest-beating.

At any rate, am still waiting for you to back up your claim that NCNC won the 1951 regional election in yorubaland.

10 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 07, 2012
Noted!
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by ikeyman00(m): 10:41am On Oct 07, 2012
@@@@@@

the same way Sadddam daughter will be disappointed with the americans

she wouldnt be the last

i think she should limit to enjoying her looted share from the free fall oil money

23 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by BrutusOj(m): 10:41am On Oct 07, 2012
THE TRUTH IS ALWAYS BITTER....but somebody should be tie down in order 2 control d situation grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by alaoeri: 10:41am On Oct 07, 2012
When 'll these Igbos stop ranting over spilled milk & find meaningful things to do afterall if they keepon ranting its doesn't change anything they are still behind yoruba tribe.

8 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by akinmax: 10:42am On Oct 07, 2012
Time past , time and time again,The yorouba nation has been waiting patiently for a reference point to unleash their animosity on this ungrateful people ,who always abuse their hospitality and peacefullness , the cloud is gathering, It may be long, quick or sudden, but I bet you Boko haram strategy to kill will be a child play in comparison to this.If at this time in history of our country , one children book writer is vomiting garbage,what this means is adding more salt to a wound - a trigger effect to already over heated politics.The noting is always true about the Ibo folks, they always look for trouble, anywhere they are, they hate decorum ,its in their DNA.

26 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 07, 2012
I do not know how demonising Awolowo makes any of your lives better. Please tell me what satisfaction you are feeling. Most of you commenting were not even born during the war, but will continue to sow seeds of hatred. America also fought a civil war but they have long moved on. I would have expected "elders" like Achebe to lecture the younger ones on good governance not to try and demonise other statesmen. Ojukwu and Gowon were the only two people desperate for power who couldn't sit at a table to resolve their differences but rather would go to war. So Awolowo is now a devil, how does that improve the quality of your own life?

19 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by solomon111(m): 10:46am On Oct 07, 2012
The bitttch is Disappointed that awo history has been thrown into the dustbin of life.
Awo reputation has suffered a devastating blow both locally and internationally.
He has now been placed alongside hitler,stalin,idi-amin,and the rest of the them.
What a shame.
So much for awo free education.
Lol.

39 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Ajillo: 10:48am On Oct 07, 2012
What is disappointing about an issue her father admitted to while alife?

10 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by admin7(m): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2012
Dede1: Why should telling the plain truth turned into controversy by certain moronic Nigerians? Awolowo had mercurially defended his policy of starvation as a weapon of war in several interviews he conducted. He even went further to elaborate by stating it was foolhardy to feed your enemy to be strong so as to continue fighting and prolonging the war.
am happy that she inadvently admitted that the policy was one of starvation and genocide her only objection is the originator of said policy. as an influential member of the government he bear part if not full culpability in the policy (in my opinion)

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by bigsmoke2(m): 10:52am On Oct 07, 2012
when will we grow up in this country and stop bieng tribal if u want to defend someone it should be based on fact and not because he is from ur tribe am sure if we take a survey all those defending awolowo are yorubas and achebe the ibos most of this people were probably not born during the war nepotism is killing this country cry cry

10 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by solid3(m): 10:54am On Oct 07, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Achebe's tribesman (Mr. Globe) to Awolowo's Daughter: I am disappointed with the international court of justice for not trying Awolowo (the ancestor of a useless tribe) for genocide post humously.

I dey clap for u, nice one, ride on.

But I hav a question4u; if ur tribe claims to be from Israel, why is it that the other "useless tribes" has held u peep to ransom, ur tribe has not and can not smell presidency again. Israel is holding Palestine to ransom, why is it the other way round here?

Ewu, Anu ofia, oya, go and take your medicine and larula kita kita, if i see u wander around here again hen, im ga pia gi like umu aka

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2012
What a crazy world we live in...Let by-gone be by-gone...Achebe just wants 2 start something he won't be able 2 finish

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 07, 2012
If anyone is found guilty of war crime at any time, he/she can still be brought to justice whether dead or alive; he/she can be given a postmorthem so that the person's corpse remain in jail till the jail-term is completed.

It is done to fore-warn the living humans to stay away from crime. Such was the case of some war crime committers during the world war 2, some were so old yet dragged to law.

Maybe this memoir will open the forgotten book of Biafran war crime. Lets watch & see.

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by ikeyman00(m): 10:57am On Oct 07, 2012
What a crazy world we live in...Let by-gone be by-gone...Achebe just wants 2 start something he won't be able 2 finish
^^^^ he already finsh it love and i hope u arent sleepy as u typed

like u said crazy world where some criminal-minded crew hate the truth so much

the truth is only written on the page as we speak and watch the reaction

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by phemmy1987: 10:57am On Oct 07, 2012
Achebe most b enemy of progress 4 this country 4 him to have wake up a dead case @ this crucial state of d country. Useless old man.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by akinmax: 10:58am On Oct 07, 2012
kindabigg:

But, Mbadinuju, defending Achebe, said: “I have not read the book. I don’t want to speculate. During the civil war, I was studying in the United States of America. However, I have absolute confidence in Prof Chinua Achebe. He is an acclaimed international scholar and figure; whatever he says about the civil war should be taken seriously.”

Damn it...!!!! how senseless,moronic this Mbadinuju can be.You have not read the book , but whatever the children book writer says is true, God have mercy! . No sense of self esteem, dignity,sense of reason suspended ,intergity is on holiday while making this statement,just to show your Yes man attribute to the world.Hmmm,this speakes volume of how these people reason.

22 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Wislet(f): 11:00am On Oct 07, 2012
I AM TIRED OF ALL THESE RANTS.
Pls can someone help us understand by telling us how these e-fights have improved his/her life?
Reason with your heads and not your emotions!
Stop heating up a society that wants to have its peaceful rest.
Igbo or yoruba, we are all one. Wonderful people at that.
Can we hear better news? God help this nation.
The war has come and gone.
It is ANCIENT HISTORY. Do you want to go back to that time?
Move on. Stop these meaningless insults all over the place before other nations wonder if Nigerians are okay in the head.
Read books and move on. You musn't fight over every one of them.

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by ikeyman00(m): 11:02am On Oct 07, 2012
^^^^ yes watever he said should be taken seriously; make no mistake

12 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Mobinga: 11:04am On Oct 07, 2012
Who gives a flying phuck about Awolowo and Achebe?
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by ikeyman00(m): 11:06am On Oct 07, 2012
I AM TIRED OF ALL THESE RANTS.
Pls can someone help us understand by telling us how these e-fights have improved his/her life?
Reason with your heads and not your emotions!
Stop heating up a society that wants to have its peaceful rest.
Igbo or yoruba, we are all one. Wonderful people at that.
Can we hear better news? God help this nation.
The war has come and gone.
It is ANCIENT HISTORY. Do you want to go back to that time?
Move on. Stop these meaningless insults all over the place before other nations wonder if Nigerians are okay in the head.
Read books and move on. You musn't fight over every one of them.

ikeyman
the only peace we have here is the truth which could be demonstrated in many way; an ordinary call for international airliners to use Enugu airport has turn to tribal anger from the other sides

so what are saying? pro corruption the so called logical analyst?

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 07, 2012
Hmmmmn....and now we'll see the beginning of a tribal war. God help this country oh.
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by ikeyman00(m): 11:07am On Oct 07, 2012
Who gives a flying phuck about Awolowo and Achebe?

we do!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Borno Residents Reject Repentant Boko Haram Members / Ayo Fayose Dancing With His People (Photos) / Buhari Makes An APC Chieftain Laugh Out Loud (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.