Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse (13667 Views)

3.2m Nigerians Live With HIV / Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months / Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? (2) (3) (4)

Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by ektbear: 4:34am On Oct 08, 2012
A 37-year-old man from Czech Republic recently became the first man to live without a heart for six months.

Jakub Halik, a former firefighter lived without a pulse for six months after undergoing pioneering surgery in April when doctors removed his heart and replaced it with mechanical pumps, according to The Sun.

On April 3rd, Halik became the second man to undergo the revolutionary procedure after the first patient, Craig Lewis, died a few weeks after surgery in Texas in 2011. The father-of-one had been in peak physical condition until he collapsed and doctors found an aggressive tumor growing inside his heart.

Doctors had told Halik that he wouldn't survive a heart transplant because he wouldn't be able to take the necessary drugs prescribed afterwards because of his cancer. Halik, who is from Neratovice in the Czech Republic, was left with no other choice but to undergo a risky operation to remove his heart completely and replaced with a fake one until he could recover from the cancer.

"It was hard for me but I didn't have any other chance at all. It was acknowledged that with the tumor I can survive for about one year and I decided to fight and do it this way," Halik told reporters at a press conference 148 days after his operation, according to Reuters.
Surgeons at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague spent eight hours operating on Halik. They had implanted two 20cm pumps with propellers into Halik's chest.

Each propeller had the ability to spin at 10,000 rotations per minute to mimic the pumping action of the organ. The pumps were designed to perform the separate actions of the left and right side of the human heart. One of the devices pumps blood to the lungs while the other sends oxygenated blood back to the circulatory system.

However, the only thing they cannot replicate is the pulse. "I don't even realize it, because the functions of the body are the same, only my heart is not beating and I have no pulse anymore," Halik said. "This is the only difference but otherwise I am functioning like a healthy man at present."
The pumps were powered by batteries that last between eight and 12 hours before they need to be recharged. After the surgery Halik's heart had deteriorated rapidly and tests showed that he had internal bleeding and kidney failure. His muscles had also started to weaken and he lost a lot of a lot of weight.

Despite his rapidly deteriorating body, Halik was able to make a remarkable recovery and is "doing extremely well" says Head Surgeon Jan Pirk. Halik, who is currently on the waiting list for a heart transplant, said his life had been transformed after the surgery. "It was a massive relief when I was told the surgery had gone well and everything was okay," Halik said. "I'm used to it all now. I don't even realize I don't have a heart anymore."
"I feel great though. It's amazing to think I'm functioning like a completely healthy man when I don't even have a heart," he added.

Read more at http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/12503/20121003/czech-man-becomes-first-person-world-live.htm#CFBzg8LwzI3hlGFo.99

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by ektbear: 4:35am On Oct 08, 2012
Simply...amazing. I don't know what else to say.
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 5:42am On Oct 08, 2012
[size=14pt]WOW!!![/size]
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Obiagu1(m): 5:46am On Oct 08, 2012
Basic law of science: Whatever we have biologically has its mechanical equivalence or substitute.

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Callotti: 5:59am On Oct 08, 2012
May my Agnostic Gawd continue to bless the white race. . . .Aminnnnnnn!!!! kiss

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by ektbear: 6:06am On Oct 08, 2012
Callotti: May my Agnostic Gawd continue to bless the white race. . . .Aminnnnnnn!!!! kiss

I think that God has blessed the white man enough. Now it is our turn cheesy

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 6:12am On Oct 08, 2012
Hmmmm Amazing breakthrough!
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 08, 2012
lol... in Nigeria, there are men with pulses but no heart... Aluu4

thanks be to the great Amadioha for his faithfulness...

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by okparadamian(f): 6:27am On Oct 08, 2012
Nigerian pple shey una dey see,dat is why d white pple blive dat dey luk lik God,why we d black luk lik devil. Oyibo carry go,una don go far.we ar comin but i don't no when

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by gabito4luv(m): 6:28am On Oct 08, 2012
yet pple claim its d same God dat made both d black n d white man. Hmmmmm
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by texazzpete(m): 6:28am On Oct 08, 2012
Obiagu1: Basic law of science: Whatever we have biologically has its mechanical equivalence or substitute.

It will be a VERY long time before we are able to replace the brain.

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Tlake(m): 6:28am On Oct 08, 2012
These whites dey try God ooo,God. 2 gve dem brain bt why did he mke we blaks lyk dis bunch of idiots
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by chucky234(m): 6:31am On Oct 08, 2012
These white men with their science working so hard to replace God,they can only try but will never replicates God's amazing magic of creation and the absence of the pulse in Halik's case confirmed that.
All in all its an amazing discovery from the doctors,good luck to Halik and hope he recovers completely and not give up the ghost as Craig did in 2011.

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 08, 2012
blacks still dey battle holy spirit, witch, demon, marine spirit, bushbaby, evil forces, allah, yahweh, dead Jesus...

Blacks are yet to realise they are also humans.

Dem go quote Bible verse tire?
Bible no sabi do operation, na faith Bible sabi wella...

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 08, 2012
chucky234: These white men with their science working so hard to replace God,they can only try but will never replicates God's amazing magic of creation and the absence of the pulse in Halik's case confirmed that.
All in all its an amazing discovery from the doctors,good luck to Halik and hope recovers completely and not give up the ghost as Craig did in 2011.

God's amazing creation.. lmao.....
E be lyk say u never see pikin wey dem born blind or crippled... abi dt one too follow for God amazing creation...

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 08, 2012
Yahweh's ten commandments were first written on stone NOT paper..

What primitive thinking.. Man has indeed been of more help to Yahweh, than he has been to man. The whites have realised this a long time ago.

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Kockane(m): 6:35am On Oct 08, 2012
Inferiority complex. Instead of complaining and comapring d white and black men, why not get up and start thinking of ways to make d world beta. This should be a challenge to us all, not a reason to admit urs is an inferior race. Great innovation though... And I'm still black and proud.

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by ChideraFavour(m): 6:36am On Oct 08, 2012
wow! Hospiital de oo ,can we eva see such in 9ja? I pray ooooooooo
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by ijebuboy18(m): 6:37am On Oct 08, 2012
WOW!!!
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by optimistD(m): 6:37am On Oct 08, 2012
Callotti: May my Agnostic Gawd continue to bless the white race. . . .Aminnnnnnn!!!! kiss
human race.
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 08, 2012
Kockane: Inferiority complex. Instead of complaining and comapring d white and black men, why not get up and start thinking of ways to make d world beta. This should be a challenge to us all, not a reason to admit urs is an inferior race. Great innovation though... And I'm still black and proud.
Im proud... not black and proud.. Simply proud...

Yes, we are an inferior race. Admit that, then face reality and work hard to change it.
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Awesomebello: 6:41am On Oct 08, 2012
oyinbo thumb up for una
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by optimistD(m): 6:42am On Oct 08, 2012
gabito4luv: yet pple claim its d same God dat made both d black n d white man. Hmmmmm
pathetic. U feel so inferior. Its nt abt colour, its all abt using ur brain.

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by ednut1(m): 6:43am On Oct 08, 2012
hahahahahaha muskeeto, if na nigeria church dem go say na one grandpa sister uncle dey do d man, yeye pple, like say demon get our time. D day i watched sex change on tv 2007 in uk, dat day i knw we black men are so backwarldy doomed, soon they are gonna be re starting a dead mans hearth cos d hearth is still alive for 7 mins, wen dat start d gullible religion fanatics wud wak up , dat in dis earth all animals are on your own
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Artlove(m): 6:46am On Oct 08, 2012
Serve God wel joor, God is too gooooooood.
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by BluePinkee(f): 6:55am On Oct 08, 2012
WOW! WOW! WOW! :-O
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 08, 2012
I just don't want to believe whites are any different from us? angry

Or was Michael Jackson right? undecided

The funny thing is,this whole development could be hinged on practical and common sense! undecided
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by mechanicaldummie(m): 7:03am On Oct 08, 2012
Wow!!!! (⊙▂⊙)
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by UmericanGirl(f): 7:09am On Oct 08, 2012
Incredible.. Its like ECMO only 1,000 times more advanced.
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by wiegraf: 7:15am On Oct 08, 2012
Kockane: Inferiority complex. Instead of complaining and comapring d white and black men, why not get up and start thinking of ways to make d world beta. This should be a challenge to us all, not a reason to admit urs is an inferior race. Great innovation though... And I'm still black and proud.

What do those posts have to do with inferiority complex? You probably are the one with a complex if you have to tell yourself you're proud. Considering the last 2,000 years or so, what are you proud of btw? Hip hop and sportsmen? Ignorance, slavery, genocide, majority living under $2 a day etc etc? Admit there's a problem, then set about fixing it.
Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 08, 2012
What's there not to be proud of? The ruler of the number one country in the world is black...

4k.. 4k.. 4k....

Re: Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 08, 2012
Obiagu1: Basic law of science: Whatever we have biologically has its mechanical equivalence or substitute.
U mean like spermm... I would love to see the mechanical substitute for that

2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic / National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging / COVID-19: FG Pledges More Support To Kano Govt.