Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

Nollywood Or Igbowood? - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Or Igbowood? (17521 Views)

Which One Would You Rather Spend Hours Watching: Nollywood Or Bollywood? & Why? / Ije! Nollywood Or Hollywood ? / Nollywood Or Bollywood, Where Are The Most Beautiful Actresses ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 5:41pm On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

i agree totally with you but don't u think the marketers caused the influx of non tested actors and actresses coming into the industry?also if everyone is given a chance,they will come up with better quality of movies and get noticed, the government will have no choice but to fully regulate and finance, that is why i mentioned the 80million funding by ogun state government not because it was a yoruba agenda

Of course, those guys have thier own issues. I aint letting them off the hook but I am saying that they represent a part of the problem rather than the whole parcel. Other stake holders in the industry are quick to point fingers at the alaba marketers (a la Igbo traders cheesy) as the bane of the industry. That is not true. The so-called "literate" sector of the industry dont even have thier ish together.

However, I am not surprised that it is like that. U would expect this in an industry that is still young and growing. With time and a little bit of maturity coupled with a change in the TASTE OF THE CONSUMERS (that is another aspect people tend to ignore), these problems would sort themselves out.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 5:48pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

Most of those folks are richer than you and me and that's a testament that they have a market

You seem obsessed with money. Unfortunately for you, Im not lacking in anything so whether they are making money doesnt mean shit to me. After all it's only naira cheesy
Perhaps if you beg them enough, they'll spare you some change. grin

You supposedly dont watch Nollywood movies or whatever crap so get out of the thread? Take the fangs elsewhere or coup up more stories with IPBM since you kiss each other's asses in all those twisted threads.

Lol at known in Africa and beyond, lol by who? hairdressers? and people selling the bootleg copies for crack in Harlem. That is what you are proud of? SA have their movies shown INTERNATIONALLY, getting INTERNATIONAL awards and all you ahve to brag about is a bunch of cookcook watching the same tired story lines. Get some standards osisi. For your country's sake cool
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 5:50pm On May 06, 2008
Uche2nna:

Of course, those guys have their own issues. I aint letting them off the hook but I am saying that they represent a part of the problem rather than the whole parcel. Other stake holders in the industry are quick to point fingers at the alaba marketers (a la Igbo traders cheesy) as the bane of the industry. That is not true. The so-called "literate" sector of the industry don't even have their ish together.

However, I am not surprised that it is like that. You would expect this in an industry that is still young and growing. With time and a little bit of maturity coupled with a change in the TASTE OF THE CONSUMERS (that is another aspect people tend to ignore), these problems would sort themselves out.

I had tried to make him understand that!!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 5:51pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

You seem obsessed with money. Unfortunately for you, I'm not lacking in anything so whether they are making money doesnt mean shit to me. After all it's only naira cheesy
Perhaps if you beg them enough, they'll spare you some change. grin

You supposedly don't watch Nollywood movies or whatever crap so get out of the thread? Take the fangs elsewhere or coup up more stories with IPBM since you kiss each other's asses in all those twisted threads.

Lol at known in Africa and beyond, lol by who? hairdressers? and people selling the bootleg copies for crack in Harlem. That is what you are proud of? SA have their movies shown INTERNATIONALLY, getting INTERNATIONAL awards and all you ahve to brag about is a bunch of cookcook watching the same tired story lines. Get some standards osisi. For your country's sake cool

e hem!
now you got all that off your thorax,let's move on
shall we?
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 5:54pm On May 06, 2008
Uche2nna:

With time and a little bit of maturity coupled with a change in the TASTE OF THE CONSUMERS (that is another aspect people tend to ignore), these problems would sort themselves out.

Actually I've mentioned that in other threads about this. I mean better storylines are coming out bit by bit but still most are now just copying stuff from Hollywood and frankly it's embarrassing. Nigeria is rich in culture, we have tradition and history, why dont we make movies based on such, we have a few movies like that but they are dying. Thoseof us that actually watch these movies know that such arent many anymore.

Now instead of showing that, they rather make movies based on homosexuality.

This is the same Nigeria that banned movies from Ghanian that had mild homosexual reference, now it's all over the place. Copying anything just for money. It's pretty pathetic.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 5:54pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

Don't insult hairdressers miss tongue, millions of them are better off than you and me wink
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 5:58pm On May 06, 2008
osisi, I've been in threads like this many times on NL. It's something that interests me, not sure why you are trying to tell me and others to be quiet blah blah "monday night quarterbacks", abegi.

It's a duiscussion and since you people claim you dont watch these things, I fail to see why you are even here. I was the first person to critcitize that garbnage lubacrasi said in reference to culure thiks and culture that, that's wnOT what I was hoping this thread would be about. That's not the point I'm trying to make anyway.

I just think things should be more diverse in the industry and people should expect improvement and not just accept any kind of garbage cos a bunch of local jamos watch their films. I personally think we can do more than that and if that doesnt comncern some of you, then let us speak and leave us be jare
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 6:00pm On May 06, 2008
romeo:

Don't insult hairdressers miss tongue, millions of them are better off than you and me wink

sharrap jare tongue

better than who? Oniranu. Although Im not trying to diss them o,. just saying we can do better than cater to just them and be happy with it. When we get international recognition and awards then I will perosnally be proud. Until then I will criticize til Jesus comes back cool
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 6:04pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

sharrap jare tongue

better than who? Oniranu. Although I'm not trying to diss them o,. just saying we can do better than cater to just them and be happy with it. When we get international recognition and awards then I will perosnally be proud. Until then I will criticize til Jesus comes back cool

I so much wish to see a standard Nollywood movie and believe me that day will come
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 6:19pm On May 06, 2008
I hear they wanna do an autobiography on Fela, kinda like "Ray"

Hopefully they wont mess up smiley
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 6:30pm On May 06, 2008
I wonder who will play the part of those his ashawos
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 6:31pm On May 06, 2008
romeo:

I so much wish to see a standard Nollywood movie and believe me that day will come

The best Nigerian movie I ever watched was "amazing grace" depicting slave raid in the Calabar area.
It was very professional and classy.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 6:38pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

I wonder who will play the part of those his ashawos

Cossy orjiakor , Halima Abubakar etc dem don die undecided
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 6:42pm On May 06, 2008
they'll find those who look like them

There's ALOT they can do with Fela's life if they are determined on doing it well
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 6:57pm On May 06, 2008
There are so many things they can do, but they are always looking for easy things to do
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:00pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

The best Nigerian movie I ever watched was "amazing grace" depicting slave raid in the Calabar area.
It was very professional and classy.

I thought "amazing grace" was about william wilberforce? starring that senegales singer!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:02pm On May 06, 2008
romeo:

There are so many things they can do, but they are always looking for easy things to do

There lies the problem
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 8:16pm On May 06, 2008
@romeo
if you check all my other comments on this thread,i dont front when i make mistakes and im always the first to own up, you were saying to me in a funny way that its not artise or aticee or artiste or arty,but actor and i replied you that as far as i am concerned and from what i saw in the dictionary you reffered me to actor is used for the male and actress for the female,rather than expending your energy on my spelling of artis or artise instead of artist wehich by the way i have corrected myself already,i have shown my own source of artiste,show me where it says actor can be used for the female theatre practitioner and if u made a mistake admit u did in your haste to correct me so that ur friends will hail you, i still cant see where you were schooling me in english and u must have been a very brilliant kid or otherwise because your teacher taught you to use actor for both male and female yet you r tryna correct me that i shouldnt even use artise/artiste but use actor my guy u try o grin grin grin
hope u r not one of these people like that nigerian politician patrick obaiagbon grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 8:19pm On May 06, 2008
@sheniqua
im sorry i dont know the mordern or old definition of "talking from both sides of the mouth as i was not brought up with pidgin english,and as u can see im trying with my spellings apart from miss spelling artiste as artise which i corrected myself. smiley
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 8:25pm On May 06, 2008
Lol with your need for explaining yourself, I sure hope they have forgiven you by now.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 8:45pm On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

@romeo
if you check all my other comments on this thread,i don't front when i make mistakes and im always the first to own up, you were saying to me in a funny way that its not artise or aticee or artiste or arty,but actor and i replied you that as far as i am concerned and from what i saw in the dictionary you reffered me to actor is used for the male and actress for the female,rather than expending your energy on my spelling of artis or artise instead of artist wehich by the way i have corrected myself already,i have shown my own source of artiste,show me where it says actor can be used for the female theatre practitioner and if u made a mistake admit u did in your haste to correct me so that your friends will hail you, i still can't see where you were schooling me in english and u must have been a very brilliant kid or otherwise because your teacher taught you to use actor for both male and female yet you r trying to correct me that i shouldnt even use artise/artiste but use actor my guy u try o grin grin grin
hope you're not one of these people like that nigerian politician patrick obaiagbon grin

actor

• noun 1 a person whose profession is acting. 2 a participant in an action or process.
source: http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/actor?view=uk

Definitions of actor

1. [n] - a person who acts and gets things done

2. [n] - a theatrical performer

source: http://www.webdictionary.co.uk/definition.php?query=actor

It did not say male or female but it said "person", which means both sex
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 8:48pm On May 06, 2008
@uche2nna
you have made a lot of sense on this thread as u have been very objective.
@mr romeo,pls u didnt tell me anything as u dont have a clue,im sure this man(uche2nna)is ibo like u yet he is objective and structured in his comments.you can learn from him and dont try to take credit for his comments by saying "thats what you r trying to tell him"

i agree totally with you but will add that even though others are quick to lay the blame on the traders,the traders sort of introduced the whole virus causing the decay,so rather than seeing them as just a part of the problem  most people who are equally guilty are hiding under them,imagine if the traders did their own part to sanitise the industry,then there wont be any hiding place for bad artiste  to hide,and others,
i aslo agree that they need time but they have enough maturity.

i think the consumers taste will come when the main nollywood industry is cleaned up,stabilised and is on a secure footing and square pegs are fitted in square holes,lets hope the problem does sort themselves out because what they are showing the world at the moment is not what nigeria is all about,its substandard,and with the proper unity of all arms of the industry they can do much better.
nice comment man
D-reloaded:

Lol with your need for explaining yourself, I sure hope they have forgiven you by now.
if they dont forgive me ,ill go to church to ask for forgiveness lol
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 9:02pm On May 06, 2008
@romeo
now you have shown what actor means,which im sure we all knew before, my point being seeing as u were trying to ridicule me because of misspelling a word that i corrected myself,i was hoping you will come up with a dictionary definition where it defines actor or actress in the same vein.
maybe u didnt check what you wrote while you were teaching me,u said what you were taught was actors being used to qualify both male and female, i dont see where your definition says that.
even though it says "person"
can you show me any article in the papers where actor is used to qualify a female pls, and i dont mean nigerian dailies lol
a few articles i saw online,pls show me yours

Well, She is married to an ex- Eastenders actor, who I find was a crap actor. (She is a better actress than her husband.) , note the use o , www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p

25 Mar 2008 , She was destined to be an actress as it was in her blood. An actor father current.com/items/88877343_keira_knightley_an_actress_with_panache
British actress Hazel Court, best known for starring in horror movies such as The , She wed American actor and director Don Taylor in 1964
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7352167.stm - 43k
i will tell you if i find any article where it says,"she is or was an actor ,
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 9:20pm On May 06, 2008
Are you dumb or is English that difficult to understand even though you have UK as your base?

Quote me where i said "i was taught" that actors is used to qualify both male and female

I said that "actors" is a general term for both male and female!! think my friend because it's a healthy exercise.

Read carefully what i wrote before:

romeo:

Shut up now!! You are sounding very pathetic, It was " Things fall apart"!! and his name is Pete Edochie. Stop talking about things you don't know and this your Yoruba "artise" people!! cheesy and mind you igbos do no have "artise" but actors grin

where were those prestigious actors and directors when alaba "movie" moguls took over the helms of movie making in Nigeria? make i hear word jare

romeo:

Dude try to learn something new sometimes, i believe that's the essence of this very site

Actors is a general term for theatrical performers (male or female) and the females are sometimes called "actresses" but the feminists find the term sexist. check oxford dictionary for reference

So stop being a dumbass by trying to correct me in that funny way. tongue
You're even finding it difficult to understand your very self, then how do you expect others to understand you?

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 9:23pm On May 06, 2008
Dude i am done with you!!

BTW you're forgiven wink
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by OsunAmazon: 9:54pm On May 06, 2008
Aisha2; northerners are forever complaining about everything from nollywood to the economy being monopolised by the south. What is YOUR contribution as a group to Nigeria?
Why can't you go and create your own hausawood?

Do something besides begging for once!

This is the kind of stereotypical comments here that strikes my angst. If Aisha made a comment because of her limited mind, does that mean the whole hausa ethnic group should be bashed for that? Calling them beggars abi? Go ahead while  your people kneel for them for  FG contracts.

As for me, if any tribe feels unrespresented in Ibowood, they can as well create theirs.

There are lots of non Ibo stars in Ibowood like omotola,Olu,Joke, Ini edo, Mike ezuroye etc. I don't know why this is a problem afterall Nollywood was created from the ibo movie industry. It may take years to balance the ethnic equation. I don't necessarily think that if Nollywood was anchored by Yorubas, it won't be the same number of people representing it. Yoruba movies are strictly done in yoruba language, the so called Nollywood/ibowood movies are done in 75% english and 25% ibo with ibo soundtracks. Does that not send a message? I think they adopted english language in their movies to reach a wider audience.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by OsunAmazon: 10:53pm On May 06, 2008
Lol at known in Africa and beyond, lol by who? hairdressers? and people selling the bootleg copies for crack in Harlem. That is what you are proud of? SA have their movies shown INTERNATIONALLY, getting INTERNATIONAL awards and all you ahve to brag about is a bunch of cookcook watching the same tired story lines. Get some standards osisi. For your country's sake

This is why I said before that there are so many trollers that are dumb on this site. Since when did the box office target only the American professional audience to pronounce a movie as a success? Does that mean that Sunny Ade or Osadebe's success in the music industry was because they only played for Kings and queens? Fela is arguably the greatest musician from Africa and last time I checked, he appealed more to touts,truants,crackheads and professionals. How long did it take black people in America to score awards in movies?

I think y'all need to watch movies directed by Izu Ojukuw(Across the Niger,GL2,Laviva etc), Chico Ejiro or Teco Benson(Xplosion etc) and see whether there shouldn't be a rethink in this Nollywood bashing. Every movie industry has it's own series of low profile productions unless any of you know one that has only world standard movies.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 11:22pm On May 06, 2008
romeo:

Are you dumb or is English that difficult to understand even though you have UK as your base?

Quote me where i said "i was taught" that actors is used to qualify both male and female

I said that "actors" is a general term for both male and female!! think my friend because it's a healthy exercise.

Read carefully what i wrote before:

dude first,your choice of language shows off the way u r brought up to a veeeery large extent so im not reali holding it against you,if u were taught that then u should have kept it to yourself rather than shoving it down my throat as the right and only proper word to use,i never asked you and nobody on this thread complained but you.
seeing as i dont know your base ill just let that ride,and i hnestly and earnestly advice you to repair your manner of approach,and take a few leaves from uche2nna 's book,the guy did not agree with me but we both respected each other's views,thats the way to structure an intellectual discourse.
romeo:

Dude i am done with you!!

BTW you're forgiven wink
you neva started jack wid me as far as i can see,but guess its all in your mind,
lol@you r forgiven, thanks
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 11:39pm On May 06, 2008
OsunAmazon:

This is the kind of stereotypical comments here that strikes my angst. If Aisha made a comment because of her limited mind, does that mean the whole hausa ethnic group should be bashed for that? Calling them beggars abi? Go ahead while your people kneel for them for FG contracts.

As for me, if any tribe feels unrespresented in Ibowood, they can as well create theirs.

There are lots of non Ibo stars in Ibowood like omotola,Olu,Joke, Ini edo, Mike ezuroye etc. I don't know why this is a problem afterall Nollywood was created from the ibo movie industry. It may take years to balance the ethnic equation. I don't necessarily think that if Nollywood was anchored by Yorubas, it won't be the same number of people representing it. Yoruba movies are strictly done in yoruba language, the so called Nollywood/ibowood movies are done in 75% english and 25% ibo with ibo soundtracks. Does that not send a message? I think they adopted english language in their movies to reach a wider audience.
i v said a lot on this thread and as for me evwen though some comments has being mis represented,.i believe creating hausawood,ibowood,or yorubawood is not the answer to making nigeria movie industry accepted worldwide.
i said it before in the 2nd or 3rd page that omotola,olu,joke and co might be yoruba but they started their thing in the ibo movie industry so they dont really count,if the yorubas go on their own and the hausas go on their own and the ibos go on their own,wheres it going to end?
will the efiks,niger delta,benue,kwaras all go on their own?dyu know how many diffrent languages we have in nigeria,
i v said it before,also check that guy uche2nna's comment as he is ibo and said it as well, we know where the problems lie and i think the problem should be sorted out and unity in the movie industry and professionalism should be encouraged, maybe thats what the poster had in mind,but personally if an ibo producer is the best for a movie then by all means,if a yoruba isthe best for the lead part in an ibo movie then let him go for it and if an hausa is the best for a yoruba movie,then let him/her go for it,also the right professionals should be used for the right jobs and money or roles should not be given on the basis of tribe,that is my stance,

the yorubas were guilty of making mainly yoruba movies for yoruba audiences which has not helped them out before but they r changing with the times ,check out the super story series,dear mother,and family man or smthn all on ait international and they know they either get with the programme or get left behind,same thing goes for the 75%english and 25%ibo.
nollywood was not created from the ibo movie industry,also dont take the views of anybody on here as a direct attack on hausa because they r not the mouth piece of their tribe and only voicing out their personal views on the subject
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 11:56pm On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

,check out the super story series,dear mother,and family man or smthn all on ait international and they know they either get with the programme

What about Papa Ajasco by Wale Adenuga? grin grin grin

Gosh, thats the wackest comedy series I have seen in recent times angry They should put that concept to rest. It aint even funny no more
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 12:47am On May 07, 2008
romeo:

I thought "amazing grace" was about william wilberforce? starring that senegales singer!

There's a naija one with some oyibo slave dealers.
It's very good but saddening.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by OsunAmazon: 1:09am On May 07, 2008
What about Papa Ajasco by Wale Adenuga?
Only God knows how rich he would've been if he was producing his stuff in America.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BBN All Stars Housemate, Ilebaye, Issued A Double Strike / Tunde Kelani’s ‘Ayinla’ Movie To Hit Cinemas On June 18 / Current Nigerian Soap Operas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.