Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Nollywood Or Igbowood? - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Or Igbowood? (17532 Views)

Which One Would You Rather Spend Hours Watching: Nollywood Or Bollywood? & Why? / Ije! Nollywood Or Hollywood ? / Nollywood Or Bollywood, Where Are The Most Beautiful Actresses ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 3:39am On May 07, 2008
OsunAmazon:

This is why I said before that there are so many trollers that are dumb on this site. Since when did the box office target only the American professional audience to pronounce a movie as a success? Does that mean that Sunny Ade or Osadebe's success in the music industry was because they only played for Kings and queens? Fela is arguably the greatest musician from Africa and last time I checked, he appealed more to touts,truants,crackheads and professionals. How long did it take black people in America to score awards in movies?

Can you please stop quoting me you dimwitted lunatic. You have the audacity to cry that people are "rude and act like ghetto blah blah" yet here you are doing the same shit you were whining about. Who's a troll? Do you even know what you are talking about? You think constantly looking for my trouble will get people to like you? Seriously shut up and speak when spoken to.

Since when did the box office target only the American professional audience to pronounce a movie as a success?

Since when did America alone stand for "international", ever heard of Canne Festival? Is that American?

Fela is arguably the greatest musician from Africa and last time I checked, he appealed more to touts,truants,crackheads and professionals.

Egba mi. Look at this slowpoke. This is what I mean by you shutting up and stop putting your mouth in what you DONT KNOW. Have you any idea how popular Fela is/was in The States esp among white people? My firts roomate ever in college owned 3 of his CDs, she even had me translate some of the songs for her. If he was only known to "crackheads", why would the Red Hot Chili Peppers have a song dedicated to him? There's even a CD with a bunch of american musicians, doing covers of his song. If you knew anything, you'd know he played with Ginger Baker of the band Cream. A band that was VERY big in the 70s, Classic Rock. Even Eric Clapton has lauded him and he's far from a "tout".

What is with you? Why don't you ever research things before running your bloody mouth?

If you stop being such an obnoxious tart, maybe you'd actually LEARN somethings instead of constantly embarrassing yourself.

As for how long did it take black Americans to win awards , last I checked, Hattie McDaniel won Best Supporting Actress for "Gone With The Wind" in 1939. or you actually believed that Halle and her pity Oscar was the first person to get an award in the black community?

Black American actors/actresses back then were actually GOOD at what they do. The ones now hardly deserve any awards to be perfectly honest with you. Until they learn to stop doing movies that are based on obnoxious stereotypes, they don't deserve shit. The few that go outside that box, get the recognition.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 3:45am On May 07, 2008
Lol, when last has Teco Benson directed a movie?
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 3:55am On May 07, 2008
didnt know red hot chilli peppers dedicated a song to him,but i know there was a time paul macartney came to visit him in them days and one other memeber of the beatles(not sure if its ringo starr)actually said he listened to fela and gave him a big up, saw it on mtv like 2yrs ago
Uche2nna:

What about Papa Ajasco by Wale Adenuga? grin grin grin

Gosh, thats the wackest comedy series I have seen in recent times angry They should put that concept to rest. It aint even funny no more
you reckon?the series was widely watched if i remember these days in naij,dunno why he stopped makiing these magazines tho papa ajasco,ms pepeiye lol the sad thing is that nigerian owned channels dont show it here but a ghananian owned sky channel since the year before or two years ago
OsunAmazon:

Only God knows how rich he would've been if he was producing his stuff in America.

the guy is loaded but prolly not by hollywood producer standards, he has a primary n secondary school and i think he has other bizniz as well,he has taken the super story concept into other series as well think its called"this life"
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by OsunAmazon: 7:07am On May 07, 2008
It's obvious some peeps here lack any sense of nominal statistics. Because some people actually played and enjoy Fela in Europe and the Americas doesn't mean that his primary audience is not Nigeria. Fela's fans may be scattered around the world, but 90% of his fans are/were Nigerians whether you like it or not. Same goes for most Nollywood stars, Genevive Nnaji may be the most popular Nollywood star known internationally but she can't mess with her home fans because they make up about 90% of her fan base. Will you now claim she's very popular worldwide because a Carribean or  Canadian coworker told you he loves her?  Get real please, pick about 1000 non Nigerians  at random around you and see how many of them knows Fela Kuti.   Regarding your usual ghetto fabulous  charade, ride on sistah, it's inborn and I'll stay mute from now on. You win,I lose.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by OsunAmazon: 7:10am On May 07, 2008
the guy is loaded but prolly not by hollywood producer standards, he has a primary n secondary school and i think he has other bizniz as well,he has taken the super story concept into other series as well think its called"this life"
I know he's doing well but I still think he deserves more than that. I don't even know what he got from years of sponsorship from multinational Cadburys. He may need to switch sponsors so as to elevate his sitcom to a different level.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:17am On May 07, 2008
lucabrasi:

dude first,your choice of language shows off the way you're brought up to a veeeery large extent so im not reali holding it against you,if u were taught that then u should have kept it to yourself rather than shoving it down my throat as the right and only proper word to use,i never asked you and nobody on this thread complained but you.
seeing as i don't know your base ill just let that ride,and i hnestly and earnestly advice you to repair your manner of approach,and take a few leaves from uche2nna 's book,the guy did not agree with me but we both respected each other's views,thats the way to structure an intellectual discourse.you never started jack wid me as far as i can see,but guess its all in your mind,
lol@you r forgiven, thanks

First of all i did not correct you and even if i did there is nothing wrong with that! I only made a Joke and you took it up to another level in your bid to make fun of me, but it backfired wink wink

I was brought up to know when i am wrong and accept it rather than prolonging the whole thing to the extent of making fun of myself like you're doing presently

How can you know my base when you're very dumb!! It's there just under my username! I know you don't even read your previous posts before making new ones, how much more to see my location.

You were the one asking us to forgive you and now you don't want it? cheesy cheesy
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 1:14pm On May 07, 2008
like i wrote in my previous posts,im not to big to admit my mistakes,everybody contributing on the thread even others that were having a go never made fun of actor or artise because it was obvious that it was a mistake as writing a whole sentence and making spelling mistakes doesnt make me an illeterate,but u just had to show off your mastery of the english language,what backfired on me??
if anything backfired,the massive joke is on you,the thing is by nature im not confrontational like you are,i gave you standard bbc articles from the net in various form showing the whole actor being used for the female gender is bull crap, rather than u showing me a single place where actor was used for the female gender u went off on one calling me names.

if you were brought up to accept wrong then im sorry but you have brought a great disservice to your folks because it means u didnt heed their lessong on manner of addressing people,manner of approach e.t.c another lesson im sure they have taught you which u didnt heed is that u dont use insults to force your reasoning or point of view down people's throats.

pray do tell me my good man why i would be interested in your base,and honestly i didnt bother checking cause it doesnt mean jack to me,now u r contradicting yourself,so you agree with me that at least im asking for forgiveness for the whole yoruba culture thing?well then guess i should be a good example for u then because im exhibiting the traits you were thought to uphold right, lol
ill lend a sentence from my good man/woman osunamazon,
"regarding your usual ghetto tirade,ride on bruvah man,its inborn.you win,i lose happy? grin
and if you need to see what both our personality traits are like check your ghetto fabulous tirade and see if i have replied you back,i wasnt brought up that way,like u say in spain, sayonara(now u can correct me on that) wink
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 1:17pm On May 07, 2008
OsunAmazon:

I know he's doing well but I still think he deserves more than that. I don't even know what he got from years of sponsorship from multinational Cadburys. He may need to switch sponsors so as to elevate his sitcom to a different level.
you r right,but looking at it i reckon he will be the first to break that barrier,because i heard the super story series enjoy a very wide viewership all the way across africa which is awesome for him considering it started as a little tv series and i think its the most watched series tho its not regular for some reason,the man might be hedging his bets
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 1:50pm On May 07, 2008
lucabrasi:

like i wrote in my previous posts,im not to big to admit my mistakes,everybody contributing on the thread even others that were having a go never made fun of actor or artise because it was obvious that it was a mistake as writing a whole sentence and making spelling mistakes doesnt make me an illeterate,but u just had to show off your mastery of the english language,what backfired on me??
if anything backfired,the massive joke is on you,the thing is by nature im not confrontational like you are,i gave you standard bbc articles from the net in various form showing the whole actor being used for the female gender is bull crap, rather than u showing me a single place where actor was used for the female gender u went off on one calling me names.

if you were brought up to accept wrong then im sorry but you have brought a great disservice to your folks because it means u didnt heed their lessong on manner of addressing people,manner of approach e.t.c another lesson im sure they have taught you which u didnt heed is that u don't use insults to force your reasoning or point of view down people's throats.

pray do tell me my good man why i would be interested in your base,and honestly i didnt bother checking cause it doesnt mean jack to me,now you're contradicting yourself,so you agree with me that at least im asking for forgiveness for the whole yoruba culture thing?well then guess i should be a good example for u then because im exhibiting the traits you were thought to uphold right, lol
ill lend a sentence from my good man/woman osunamazon,
"regarding your usual ghetto tirade,ride on bruvah man,its inborn.you win,i lose happy? grin
and if you need to see what both our personality traits are like check your ghetto fabulous tirade and see if i have replied you back,i wasnt brought up that way,like u say in spain, sayonara(now u can correct me on that) wink

I pity you!! your likes never learn tongue, It took you almost a whole page to write this gibberish.
Just thank me that tomorrow you'll not write "artise" again grin grin

You don't want to know my base but you were the one that wrote earlier about not knowing my base undecided
Read your comments before making new ones or are you demented?

Please use the spell check next time, everybody makes spelling mistakes but the spell check is there to help wink
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 2:16pm On May 07, 2008
lucabrasi:

didnt know red hot chilli peppers dedicated a song to him,but i know there was a time paul macartney came to visit him in them days and one other memeber of the beatles(not sure if its ringo starr)actually said he listened to fela and gave him a big up, saw it on mtv like 2yrs

That's cool. Such events should be added to the movie really.  smiley. Yea Flea (RHCP's bassist) is a huge Fela fan.

Because some people actually played and enjoy Fela in Europe and the Americas doesn't mean that his primary audience is not Nigeria. Fela's fans may be scattered around the world, but 90% of his fans are/were Nigerians whether you like it or not

Retarded Tarbaby, Care to show where anyone said Fela's primary fans arent Nigerian? No shit, Captain Obvious. Was Just showing your that your IDIOTIC comment stating  that only touts and agberos listen to him was completely wrong.

Just shut up. Seriously. Stick to rocking up Baltimore, slowpoke.  grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 5:39pm On May 07, 2008
romeo:

I pity you!! your likes never learn tongue, It took you almost a whole page to write this gibberish.
Just thank me that tomorrow you'll not write "artise" again grin grin

You don't want to know my base but you were the one that wrote earlier about not knowing my base undecided
Read your comments before making new ones or are you demented?

Please use the spell check next time, everybody makes spelling mistakes but the spell check is there to help wink

i definitely will thank you and im sure you ll thank me for correcting you that actor is used to qualify the male gender not the female thats why theres a word called actress in the dictionary so we both learnt somethn new didnt we? grin

pity melmao grin grin dude,you r the one that needs pitying honestly,you have a foul mouth,and seeing as out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh it shows what your genetic make up is really,honestly i only pity you for refusing to learn common ettiquette and manner of addressing people.
rather than infusing and overloading the single cell in your brains for foul mouthed outbursts and gutter snipe tirades,i suggest you use it for something worthwhile like going to school,if you had multiple cells in your brain like most people then its ok to use one for learning abuse and sturvs and use the others for something positive, pls remember i warned you on the 7th of may 2008,so its not when you attain the age of 70 yrs old you ll start saying some witch was disturbing your progress,even in nigeria most people are cultured and if you check comments from people in the uk,usa and the likes they are cultured as well pls learn from them,seeing as u want me to sha see your location i think you need to move from spain really because seeing as they exhibit similar traits like you r doing now,im sure you v been there for a while and its rubbed of on you,

demented ko, cemented ni mr patrick obaiagbon, at least what im gulty of is spelling mistakes thank GOD u said it ,what you r guilty of is not knowing where or how to use proper words like qualifying actor for the female gender, olodo see yourself grin grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 5:44pm On May 07, 2008
@d-reloaded
ill go search for it now, the movie about him has being in the works now for like several years,hope its a definite thing this time?they r always sayn all sorts and its gotten to a tage no one knows what they r up to,read it on a thread here that they had don cheadle pencilled down to play the fela part,saw something like that on facebook as well, oh well,
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 6:29pm On May 07, 2008
lucabrasi:

@d-reloaded
ill go search for it now, the movie about him has being in the works now for like several years,hope its a definite thing this time?they r always sayn all sorts and its gotten to a tage no one knows what they r up to,read it on a thread here that they had don cheadle pencilled down to play the fela part,saw something like that on facebook as well, oh well,

Lmao Don Cheadle? I love him as amn actor but I dont think that would work

Chiwetel Ejiofor looks more like Fela in my opinion smiley
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:19pm On May 07, 2008
lucabrasi:

i definitely will thank you and im sure you ll thank me for correcting you that actor is used to qualify the male gender not the female thats why theres a word called actress in the dictionary [/b]so we both learnt somethn new didnt we? grin

OH my shocked shocked, You're the dumbest Nairalander!!

I'll need a screw driver to drive this right inside your brain.

I said that actors is a general term for theatrical performers (male and female) and i said [b]"igbo actors"

But your doltishness will not allow you to understand a simple thing like this

I even quoted myself up there!! I've never seen such a half-witted fellow like you
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:20pm On May 07, 2008
romeo, enough jare. jeez
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:28pm On May 07, 2008
D-reloaded:

romeo, enough jare. jeez

My sister i hear you jare, i am done with the issue and now lets discuss Fela movie abeg.

Fela's movie will be a very good thing for our countries image culturally, but will the government allow a movie about Fela? Because Fela's life is filled with horror stories of our former military dictators and most of them are still alive
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 7:33pm On May 07, 2008
romeo:

Fela's movie will be a very good thing for our countries image culturally, but will the government allow a movie about Fela? Because Fela's life is filled with horror stories of our former military dictators and most of them are still alive

Well, if his songs ( especially the ones where he dissed Obj and Yar' adua) are still being sold freely in the market then there is no reason to think that the present govt would attempt to resist made in his honor.

By the way, I have seen a quasi documentary on his life , his interviews and his music compiled in one CD. It is still sold freely in the market. Obj and Yar' adua were once again not spared.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:38pm On May 07, 2008
Uche2nna:

Well, if his songs ( especially the ones where he dissed Obj and Yar' adua) are still being sold freely in the market then there is no reason to think that the present govt would attempt to resist made in his honor.

By the way, I have seen a quasi documentary on his life , his interviews and his music compiled in one CD. It is still sold freely in the market. Obj and Yar' adua were once again not spared.

Alaba assembled docu, or ?

then a movie about him will involve a lot of fictional names and sites
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:51pm On May 07, 2008
romeo:

Let them do so. It would give the movie an even bigger boost.  cool
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 8:32pm On May 07, 2008
romeo:

Alaba assembled docu, or ?

then a movie about him will involve a lot of fictional names and sites

cheesy

U sef!!!
We have to start from somewhere now grin

But on a serious note, I dont think the government would come chasing after any producer who would wanna make a movie about Fela's life. He is already controversy personified , and as DR stated that would be adding more aura to his mystique.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 1:31am On May 08, 2008
romeo:

OH my shocked shocked, You're the dumbest Nairalander!!

I'll need a screw driver to drive this right inside your brain.

I said that actors is a general term for theatrical performers (male and female) and i said "igbo actors"
But your doltishness will not allow you to understand a simple thing like this

I even quoted myself up there!! I've never seen such a half-witted fellow like you

like i said,your choice of words clearly exhibits you and what you stand for in totality and ill still advice you to use the single cell up there(your brain)for something much more productive
your quote is not answering what i asked you which is for you to provide any sentence from an article of any sort where a female is qualified as actor but rather than doing that u r resorting to dancing round and using insults to cover up your ignorance,i know what actor means what im asking you is to simply show me on the world wide internet where you have ever read or seen a sentence where actor is used for a female.
and im making reference to the comment you posted where you were tryna correct me.

im half witted but but you are a complete air head, at least thanks for the half witt but you have nothing up your skull at all and you r tryna make up for it with insults, im sorry grin
D-reloaded:

Lmao Don Cheadle? I love him as amn actor but I don't think that would work

Chiwetel Ejiofor looks more like Fela in my opinion smiley

chiwetel looks more like femi kuti,you know fela s got the rough edges which i think don cheadle can pull off and chiwetel is also a bit too light in complexion , i just hope they dont make the mistake of making the fela role too western as that ll defeat the fela aura, the man's memory deserves much more than is obtained now
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 1:57am On May 08, 2008
You're right, he does look more like Femi. He should play Femi in the movie. tongue
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by JoyceAgim(f): 1:57am On May 08, 2008
Whether nah nollywood or igbowood,guy all join. grin grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 3:05am On May 08, 2008
D-reloaded:

You're right, he does look more like Femi. He should play Femi in the movie. tongue

was reading the papers online and found this interview

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

click on the seun kuti debutes in france and then you ll see the article by a nollywood veteran on the bottom left,it ll make interesting reading cause it addresses everything we have been talking about on here from one of them smiley
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by OsunAmazon: 3:55am On May 08, 2008
Lol, when last has Teco Benson directed a movie?
Who cares when he directed a movie last as long as he does a good job. He actually directed the much publicized superb movie called Explosion.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 3:06pm On May 08, 2008
There's this controversy surrounding the origin of the home videos film in Nigeria. It is believed in some quarters that Living In Bondage is the first movie to come out of Nollywood.

It can't be! Living In Bondage? No, no, no! Go and ask Kenneth Nnebue. Let me tell you, if you can write it properly, Kenneth Nnebue had produced over 40 Yoruba movies before he even thought of producing an Igbo movie. Living In Bondage is an Igbo movie. It is an Igbo language movie. Probably they want to claim that Living In Bondage is the first Igbo movie. Before he dreamt of making that film, he had produced 40 Yoruba films. He started with Aje Ni'ya Mi. And there had been a flourishing movie industry before he came on board. So how can you say he started it.

So who produced the first home video?

I did! I pioneered the industry.

Could you mention the movie you started with?

Ekun. And it's the first Yoruba movie.

souce;http://nigeriamovies.net/news/news186.php
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 4:05pm On May 08, 2008
Very soon you'll start asking for forgiveness again wink
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 6:45pm On May 08, 2008
@ Luca

Everybody knows that there were Yoruba movies being made way before Living in Bondage. And maybe You did not research properly, there were also a lot of Igbo movies and Hausa movies being made way before Living in Bondage. However, most of those movies did not get attain the commercial success that LIB reached. And there were plenty of reasons behind that ranging from lack of a commercially appealing story line, low budget , inadequate promotion to very poor marketing strategies. Living in Bondage, I think, was the first movie to put all these into considerations. It is not by co incidence that most of the movies that immediately followed LIB was almost of the same story line with LIB with some variation. Everybody wanted to stick to the winning formula.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:58pm On May 08, 2008
Uche2nna:

@ Luca

Everybody knows that there were Yoruba movies being made way before Living in Bondage. And maybe You did not research properly, there were also a lot of Igbo movies and Hausa movies being made way before Living in Bondage. However, most of those movies did not get attain the commercial success that LIB reached. And there were plenty of reasons behind that ranging from lack of a commercially appealing story line, low budget , inadequate promotion to very poor marketing strategies. Living in Bondage, I think, was the first movie to put all these into considerations. It is not by co incidence that most of the movies that immediately followed LIB was almost of the same story line with LIB with some variation. Everybody wanted to stick to the winning formula.

Uche2nna
You have time ohh!! this guy Luca can not even understand himself cheesy cheesy
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 8:47pm On May 08, 2008
Uche2nna:

@ Luca

i agree with you jare i only found the articles while i was reading the nigerian news and thought ill post it on here cause its related to what we v been talking about,your views are well taken as well smiley

romeo:

Uche2nna
You have time ohh!! this guy Luca can not even understand himself cheesy cheesy
mr jar head,you berrer go add a storey building to that bungalow grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by vicade(m): 8:50pm On May 08, 2008
Nollywood or Igbowood? nice one

what i know for sure is that TADE OGIDANS OGD pictures and TUNDE KELANIS MAINFRAME pictures make the best movies in Nigeria by a wide margin. i could name a lot of their movies that other nollywood flicks don't come close.

i think quality and not quantity is priority.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 8:56pm On May 08, 2008
vicade:

Nollywood or Igbowood? nice one

what i know for sure is that TADE OGIDANS OGD pictures and TUNDE KELANIS MAINFRAME pictures make the best movies in Nigeria by a wide margin. i could name a lot of their movies that other nollywood flicks don't come close.

i think quality and not quantity is priority.

Are they part of Nollywood or do they have their own "wood"? as in Tadewood or Tundewood cheesy cheesy

Dis people sef!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Please Help! What Websites Can I Download Movies? / Safari's Movie Reviews / Tunde Kelani’s ‘Ayinla’ Movie To Hit Cinemas On June 18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.