Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,413 members, 7,808,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

My Experience With A Quack Doctor - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience With A Quack Doctor (13018 Views)

How Quack Doctors Exploit Poor People In Nigeria / My Experience With Weed / Quack Indian Doctors Allegedly Exploiting Nigeria In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by ArQueBusieR(m): 9:38pm On Oct 10, 2012
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by ciphoenix: 11:30pm On Oct 10, 2012
Rooneyboy: Infact I'm a living witness to the fact that [size=13pt]most[/size] of our medical personnels in the country are quacks; sorry to say but that is the truth.

I was ill for more than 2years , while this sickness lasted I was going to FMC lagos(@ oyingbo) for treatment. Each time I went there I was always faced with a new doctor entirely ; and of course new sets of prescriptions(buying drugs running in thousands in their pharmacy ) , this routine happened for two good years.
My health deteriorated to the point that I couldn't even walk again.

18th october last year I flew to enugu to see some foreign doctors(mainly indian doctors and a few spanish) in niger foundations hospital. I was so impressed with their professionalism, and swiftness in which they handle cases. That same day after series of tests were carried our I was ushered into the theatre for a biopsy(surgery),

2 weeks after this they came up with the biopsy result , and I commenced treatment .

I'm really ashamed of my country I must confess, without the intervention of these foreign doctors only God knows what have happened to rooneyboy.
seems you've been in [size=13pt]most[/size] hospitals in the country to make that assertion.
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by ciphoenix: 11:34pm On Oct 10, 2012
El Matteo: Its funny đα̲̅τ̲̅ NLanders wud use †ђε experience of some few τ̅☺ describe every doctor. So because a couple of doctors misdiagnose, it means all Nigerian doctors aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ quacks, How shallow aπϑ myopic!! Why not let's open another trend F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ those whose lives have been saved by this same 'quack doctors', but we aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ always ready τ̅☺ broadcast †ђε mistakes of some few neglecting †ђε successes of many others.
Based on my experience as a doctor, many patients come τ̅☺ †ђε hospital in Nigeria when their at †ђε end stage of their diseases. They wid av visited all kinds of places like †ђε traditional healers but its when they realise there isnt any solution, they come τ̅☺ †ђε doctor expectiing him τ̅☺ just perform magic aπϑ when such a patient dies, then its cos Nigerian doctors aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ quacks.
Maybe u should go online τ̅☺ check how rampant medical malpractice is in †ђε world even in America. In case u can't check them out urself them u can visit these links aπϑ see F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ urself.

circ.ahajournals.org/content/109/24/2939.full

www.cwru.edu/med/epidbio/mphp439/Malpractice.htm

Kindly read through aπϑ see đα̲̅τ̲̅ u wud be doing injustice τ̅☺ think its a Nigerian problem. Infact †ђε second link talks about a girl đα̲̅τ̲̅ was transplanted with organs from an imcompatible donor which led τ̅☺ her death. Imagine đα̲̅τ̲̅ happening in Nigeria, then all hell would be let loose. I also stated †ђε example of Stella Obasanjo đα̲̅τ̲̅ went abroad F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ surgery aπϑ was killed by †ђε negligence of †ђε surgeon who was later fined.

We aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ always fast at pointing out †ђε weaknesses of people neglecting their strengths. Doctors in Nigeria aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ often over worked due τ̅☺ †ђε limited number of available personnels aπϑ also have τ̅☺ do without some basic facilities in making diagnosis cos they aren't available yet we all label them as quacks. How come those same quacks aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ been sought after by developed countries?

Let's call a spade a spade, medical malpractice as a whole is a global problem.
well said
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by mhm(m): 12:18am On Oct 11, 2012
well I do understand that the doctors would like to defend their colleagues. acceptable.

but what would you expect me to conclude, I had a condition over a period of almost two years, In all I saw 13 separate doctors, including a prof in Luth. some were quick to tell me they had no idea what my problem was, however some others kept on prescribing all sorts of drugs including high doses of cotecosteroids ( forgive me if the spelling is wrong). one of them told me I was getting better by just looking at me with no tests even when I told him that the symptoms were getting worse. another told me that I was cured and had psychological issues : imagining that I was still ill. others were prescribing pain killers, without attacking the cause.

fed up with everything I went abroad, within a week I was diagnosed with cancer, the tumor was massive. to cut a long story short, I am now on the path of recovery after agressive treatment by the powers of GOD. I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if I had continued with the Nigerian doctors.

in all, I understand that we cannot generalize but seriously what do you want someone like me to think?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by medexico(m): 12:45am On Oct 11, 2012
I complained for a running nose, the doctor administered some drugs and when I used it........guess what happened? I HAD A SWOLLEN EYES with water coming out of it!!!!!
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by chimizuzu: 4:31am On Oct 11, 2012
i think its cos u look 4 d eas way out dats why u get in2 such situations grin hehehehe dnt mind me i guess ;Dits our system not checking em doctors well dats d problem
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by kinguwem: 6:30am On Oct 11, 2012
The health care delivery system is facing serious challenges. The currently acceptable practice is evidenced based medicine. It involves a lot of training & research. Our universities, teaching hospitals, health ministries & parastatals are not properly equipped to manage current health challenges.
A doctor that refers when in doubt is a good doctor. Usually, when treating children, a thorough physical examination is necessary. Unlike adults, children may develop pneumonia without a history of cough. Cough is usually a late symptom. This may result in a misdiagnosis since other diseases such as malaria, sepsis, gastroenteritis usually present with fever. A follow up of patients is very important after the initial visit. During the follow up visit, new diagnoses can be made based on new symptoms & clinical findings.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by skypower(f): 9:03am On Oct 11, 2012
the painful part is that some doctors act dump when consulting, you do all the talking and all they do is handle you a prescription list saying go get this drugs, they don't take time to interact with the patient, like saying i thing u have so and so illness.
But in fairness there are some very good doctors.
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by Miebi1(f): 3:19pm On Oct 11, 2012
@poster,you can't generalize your conclusion and besides you should have seen a paediatrician not a GP.
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by MacLovington(m): 3:39pm On Oct 11, 2012
mhm: well I do understand that the doctors would like to defend their colleagues. acceptable.

but what would you expect me to conclude, I had a condition over a period of almost two years, In all I saw 13 separate doctors, including a prof in Luth. some were quick to tell me they had no idea what my problem was, however some others kept on prescribing all sorts of drugs including high doses of cotecosteroids ( forgive me if the spelling is wrong). one of them told me I was getting better by just looking at me with no tests even when I told him that the symptoms were getting worse. another told me that I was cured and had psychological issues : imagining that I was still ill. others were prescribing pain killers, without attacking the cause.

fed up with everything I went abroad, within a week I was diagnosed with cancer, the tumor was massive. to cut a long story short, I am now on the path of recovery after agressive treatment by the powers of GOD. I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if I had continued with the Nigerian doctors.

in all, I understand that we cannot generalize but seriously what do you want someone like me to think?

This is where training and experience are important. And of course facilities. People have different levels of talent. Not every runner is Usain Bolt.

A major University Hospital in California mis-diagnosed a friend'd advanced stage prostate cancer as kidney stone.
Any medic will know instantly why.

Sure enough they actually found and treated kidney stone. It was a young intern who finally biopsied and diagnosed it correctly when back pain continued. Ok it was a rare type of prostate cancer that the intern had read in a medical journal recently.
It was too late anyway and would have made no difference BUT he would had enough time to put things in order and come to terms with a terminal illness.

Long ago a UK GP prescribed a high dose of blood pressure capsules instead of an anti-inflammatory for my bruised toe. The names of both sounded a bit similar BUT not that similar. I got the drug from the chemist AND the chemist didn't wonder what a young person needed such for. I didn't even check until I was about taking it after Dinner. I was shocked. I grew up with medicines around me and I knew about most common drugs. The chemist tried to fool me that it was ok to use it for bruises and blisters AND wanted me to return them to her. I finally confronted her. She was shocked to see that the dudu boy knows drugs! I learnt about drugs in Naija. If I had taken the drugs, most likely my enemy would not have woken up. They would have connived to make it look like suicide.

As for the Asian GP who prescribed it, I was close to suing him BUT he begged. I thought well, I could be the one making a one-off unfortuate error in the future (God forbid).
Errors happen everywhere everyday.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by armyofone(m): 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
It is so unfortunate that things are not done well in nigeria. Doctor just don't feel a child and then prescribe med, phew!
so they don't observe, take vital signs, draw blood for series of test, take urine do x.ray right there. . . right away?.
Na wah o for Nigeria thing.
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by ebonyjoy1(f): 10:28am On Oct 16, 2012
@OP the general diagnose for most illness in this country is Malaria.I almost died of typhoid fever after being treated for malaria for more than a week.it was my dad that suggest a typhoid test be done. Now i have learn to Google my symptoms before going to the hospital so i have an idea wat am dealing with and can even make suggestions to the doc. they sometimes don't like it but its my healthhh. sometimes u better off with a good pharmacist i tell u .
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by ciphoenix: 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2012
SMH.. Nigerian Patients

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by soultender(f): 11:19am On May 18, 2013
[quote author=superior1]

May heaven bless you Isale eko, I intentionally left out the name of the hospital because it is well respected and I pay quite a fortune getting treatment for my family there(which added to my annoyance)

My wife told me ,the Pediatrician simply listened closely to the girls breathing with stethoscope and invited my wife to also do same which she did and later confirmed to me she also heard sounds different to her heart beat and breathing. The Pediatrician then explained to
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by Nobody: 9:28am On May 26, 2013
passion007: sorry about your baby and I hope she is getting better. Well, I do not know how old your baby is nor the pattern of her symptoms especially the fever. Nevertheless, you may have judged that doctor too rashly. The symptoms you have mentioned cut across malaria and penumonia. In fact, pneumonia is a close differential diagnosis of malaria in the pediatric age group. Besides, at your first presentation, there was neither cough nor breathlessness and the doctor was right in his diagnosis based on the facts he had.

I myself trained at the University of Nigeria--MBBS is far from easy to come by around here. In clinical practice, making the right diagnosis is not nearly so easy--in an ideal setting, one should have a side-lab where a full blood count and blood smear for malaria parasite would have been done, or else a rapid diagnostic test for malaria, with or without a chest xray. That would have made the right diagnosis obvious, but in our setting, the doctor is faced with peculiar challenges that stymie even the best brains.

I understand your aggression at the doctor--it's your child that's in focus, but at the same time, doctors are not magicians. We work with facts, that is why we ask a lot of questions because the answers to those questions will either support one diagnosis or refute another.

PS--about the doctor who was consulting with a text, there is absolutely nothing wrong in that. I myself consult with my tablet. Medicine is so broad and so diverse that it takes several years to have a working knowledge of all its different aspects. Besides, would you rather the doctor prescribes 500mg of Amiodarone for instance--only to find out laater that he had overdosed you. In matters regarding health, it is safe to make assurance doubly-sure.
All that one na Tory, why don't the doctor ask for the child to be tested when they brought her the second time and it was obvious she font respond to treatment.
Re: My Experience With A Quack Doctor by marvelU(f): 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2013
Health is wealth. One have to be careful with this so call doctors. Sorry about your baby.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LUTH Denies Conspiring With Patient's Lover To Hide, Loot Him / An Object That Allows Women To Urinate Standing ''GoGirl'' (pictures) / Yoni Pearls For Blocked Fallopian Tubes, TTC, Fibroids, Ovarian Cysts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.