Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 (2919 Views)

My Volkswagen Bug Jerks / Help! My Volkswagen Sharan Keeps Burning Its Coil / Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by richard69(m): 4:50pm On Oct 09, 2012
my golf 4 drives smooth but as soon as i turn on my ac the slow doesnt work. oncei step on the clutch and break the car goes off. secondly electronic stabilibilisation proramme(ESP) and engine management system (EPC) lights wont go off after the ignition is turned on. anyone with a useful tip should assist. I reside in Abuja.
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
richard69: my golf 4 drives smooth but as soon as i turn on my ac the slow doesnt work. oncei step on the clutch and break the car goes off. secondly electronic stabilibilisation proramme(ESP) and engine management system (EPC) lights wont go off after the ignition is turned on. anyone with a useful tip should assist. I reside in Abuja.

Please clarify this portion of your post:

"as i turn on my ac the slow doesnt work."

If your ESP and EPC lights are illuminated, I would advice you have your car scanned. What year is your car, and what engine size is fitted?

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by richard69(m): 9:43pm On Oct 09, 2012
Its a 2004 model, 1.4 litre engine
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by richard69(m): 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
I meant dat as soon as the speed reduces to zero the engine goes off.
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by richard69(m): 9:48pm On Oct 09, 2012
thaks for the help so far
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 10, 2012
richard69: I meant dat as soon as the speed reduces to zero the engine goes off.

If engine rpm drops to zero, the engine will naturally be off. Zero is a no-run parameter. Most engines will stall if rpm drops below 500 rpm.

So, to get things clear - your engine runs well, untill you switch on an engine load (aircon). Does the engine run rough / stall when the cooling fan (radiator) cuts in? Have you had any engine codes pulled during a scan?

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by richard69(m): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2012
thanks bro for the help so far. went for a diagnosis today and the result are as follows;

1 throttle sporadic valve control system malfunction
2 multiple cylinder misfire detected (2 and 4)
3belt tensioner value of igniter (D side too great)
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by richard69(m): 8:36pm On Oct 15, 2012
before i forget the throttle uses sensor.
pls help me before this car drives me crazy.
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 15, 2012
richard69: thanks bro for the help so far. went for a diagnosis today and the result are as follows;

1 Throttle sporadic valve control system malfunction
2 multiple cylinder misfire detected (2 and 4)
3belt tensioner value of igniter (D side too great)

Volkswagen Golf IV 1,4 2 x DOHC 16V, 75 bhp.

I would have preferred to work with the codes you pulled, rather than the definitions, which are obviously from a generic scanner. Still, here goes:

01) Throttle sporadic valve control system malfunction: The 1,4 / 1,6 16V engines suffer with throttle body issues, from memory it integrates the idle control, stepper-motor driven. You'll need to have the throttle body removed, thoroughly cleaned with carburetor cleaner, or clean petrol. If you use carburetor cleaner, make sure it's dry before re-installation. Once the throttle body has been disturbed, or even a brand new one's fitted, it will need to be adapted. In lay-mans terms,once the throttle plate has been disturbed, the ECU can no longer determine the throttle angle position. It will cause poor idle, erratic, jerky low-speed driving.

You'll need more than a generic scanner to adapt the throttle body. Adaptation returns the throttle plate angle to basic / factory setting. Any decent garage should be able to do this. It can be done manually, but involves skill, and driving for at least 200 miles, with different engine loads, mostly held in 3rd / 4th gear at low (35 mph) speed. This will allow the ECU to "learn" the throttle angle, and reset itself.

02) Multiple cylinder misfire detected (2 and 4): Coil-pack! Coil-pack!! Coil-pack!!! You 1,4 16V engine has a single coil pack, for all cylinders. 1 circuit controls cylinders 1 and 3, the other two 2 and 4. Get it replaced with a NEW, GENUINE part, and that will cure your misfire. For reference, I'm attaching a diagram, showing what you need:

03) Seat belt pre-tensioner value of igniter, driver's side too high: Your seat belts have pre-tensioners, that will lock the inertia reels in the event of an accident. The connectors are under the front seats, one per side. If the car's been in an accident, and the pre-tensioners have deployed, they'll need to be replaced. If they haven't deployed, then check the connectors under the driver's seat. Often, if the seat is adjusted forwards and backwards aggressively, the connector plug can come adrift. Check security, the best way to ensure contact is constant, is to hold both sides of the connector together with a cable tie.

You'll need to clear the codes after rectification, and scan again after a few miles have been covered.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Please Help My Volkswagen Mk4 by kabworld(m): 9:50pm On Dec 25, 2013
My Volkswagen Passat 1999 Will Not Start...pls Help by kabworld(m): 9:48am
Pls help!!!
Last week I was about to travel but my water pipe was leaking so I needed to branch a nearby mechanic workshop to fix it and was planning to fix my gearsit too. So I drove down to d mechanic to fix it. After fixing d water system he was also trying to fix d gearsit to. So while he was under d car he instructed me to change d gear from park to drive which I Did. So i started the engine, the engine started normally but While I was changing d gear from park to drive, I heard a sound (inside )d gear i guess and reported to d mechanic which he said maybe I Did not press d break firmly. The sound repeated itself while moving from drive back to park. Then I switch off the engine, removed d key thinking everything was still fine only for him to finish about 20mins later, started the engine, making initial cranking sound but didn't power d engine again.
So various things habe been done so far like,
Cleaning d plugs and others.
Some tests carried out include
Timebelt check normal
Nozzles normal flashing
Plugs fires normally with pressure
Fuel pump normal
Cylinder with valves not bent
Sensor working and magnetic even changed to another one
battery is a good one
So please any gpost suggestions to help unravel d mystery of the engine not starting.
PLEASE MAKE UNA HELP OOOO. NA ONLY WATER I WANTED TO CHANGE OOO

(1) (Reply)

If You Had All The Money In The World, Which Car Would You Buy? / ABUJA Free Vehicle Scan. Saturdays only. ON HOLD / Nissan Altima Rebranded For Sale Just 750k Best Of Both World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.