Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? (1763 Views)

Poll: Obama is best suited as the Vice President of the United States

True: 66% (2 votes)
False: 33% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Prophecy Was Made That I Will Be Vice President – Osinbajo / Jonathan Wants Aliyu Gusau As Vice-President? (Sahara Reporters) / Occupy Nigeria Gets Better As Pengassan Officially Joins: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 4:24pm On Jan 21, 2008
In continuation of a recent post here "Obama for President?" I looked at this situation and come to realize that it is best Obama enters as a vice-president. WHY you might ask??

If Obama were to be nominated:
Do you seriously think that America is ready for a black president?
Do you seriously think that Obama would be able to edge out John Mccain (my probable nominee from Republicans), Mitt Romney, or Mike Huckabee?
Who would become Obama's vice, Clinton?? NO WAY; Edwards?? Would be greatest mistake of Obama.
Bill Clinton's support for Obama would be zilch (zero), and that would make it even more difficult for him to win.

The truth of the matter is that Obama for president sounds good on paper, but I so much believe that he is best suited as the Vice president, by so doing, himself and Hillary would form a formidable force, and would have the votes of Independents and youths, whom I believe would play a vital role in who becomes president. Besides they would offer a stiffer opposition for the Republicans. I want the Democrats to win, and the only way is Clinton for President, Obama for vice.

What do you think?
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by IykeD1(m): 4:39pm On Jan 21, 2008

If Obama were to be nominated:
Do you seriously think that America is ready for a black president?
Do you seriously think that Obama would be able to edge out John Mccain (my probable nominee from Republicans), Mitt Romney, or Mike Huckabee?
Who would become Obama's vice, Clinton?? NO WAY; Edwards?? Would be greatest mistake of Obama.
Bill Clinton's support for Obama would be zilch (zero), and that would make it even more difficult for him
to win.

I used to think like that, but then Iowa happened and I realized that just may be it might happen. There
is always a first time for everything. If he wins the nomination, then half of the work is done and it
is very POSSIBLE.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by JeSoul(f): 4:43pm On Jan 21, 2008
from Jesoul:
Now one intresting scenario would be if Hillary won the nomination and Obama jumped on her ticket as the vice-president candidate, that combination might pull of a victory. and then in 4/8 years Obama would gun for the presidency, it's a win-win scenario for both of them- maybe not for america though.

no be wetin I dey talk since that last thread? Anyways on to your questions:

If Obama were to be nominated: Do you seriously think that America is ready for a black president?

No I honestly don't think so but I could be proven wrong.

Nope don't think he can edge out McCain or Romney but Huckbee is very beatable because of his religious beliefs which influence his policies and polarizes a good chunk of america.

Bill Clinton's support for Obama would be zilch (zero), and that would make it even more difficult for him to win.

Hillary will never say yes to be Obama's vice- over her dead body! cheesy There's way too much bad blood and she has way too much pride to settle for the vice ticket. It would be more likely Obama would accept the vice position but not Hillary.

The truth of the matter is that Obama for president sounds good on paper, but I so much believe that he is best suited as the Vice president, by so doing, himself and Hillary would form a formidable force, and would have the votes of Independents and youths, whom I believe would play a vital role in who becomes president.

Obama and Hillary will def win the whitehouse, both of them combined will be too much for any republican.
Besides they would offer a stiffer opposition for the Republicans. I want the Democrats to win, and the only way is Clinton for President, Obama for vice.
 na wetin I dey talk since last yr oh my brotha, we go see sha.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ Jesoul,

Who do you suppose Obama would pick for vice president (supposing he is nominated)? I am trying to think but I no sabi.

Another thing way cross my mind be say Clinton may not want to use Obama, but rather decide to use Bill Richardson in a desperate attempt to secure Hispanic votes.

I really wanna know who you think go be vice for Obama though?
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by dayokanu(m): 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2008
I have always been a Clinton supporter (Bill first) and defended him against references to his womanizing in his life, but now I look at his behavior in this campaign

and am thoroughly disgusted. Ihave met people who when they become disgusted with the Clintons, there is no way of changing their minds and I am beginning to

understand their feelings. If Barack is not the candidate, I will really have second thoughts of voting for Hillary and I am a life-long Democrat. Their behavior, when

faced with a serious challenger, is almost sick. And for a former president to behave in such classless behavior is revolting. Why do they (as a couple) feel pre-ordained

to occupy the White House again. And what role will he take as First Man if he is so heavy-handed in the campaign. Bring back Dennis Thatcher (Margaret's husband) who

never uttered a word and let her govern. They now don't go out to campaign again but just to malign Obama and achieve victory at all cost. If Clinton should win

Dem ticket, then McCain can as well stroll to the presidency. Instead of Clinton going out to campaign they taught Obama would just come there to make up the number

After Iowa when she lost woefully they now started playing dirty and Slinging mud at the Illinois senator,
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2008
@IykeD

Really don't know if winning Iowa really meant that much. Hillary has won three in a row now - New Hampshire, Detroit and Nevada. E go hard for Obama to be nominated, abi you don't think so?

And ttrust me the moment wey Obama becomes nominated, then you would know that there are some die hard whites who would never allow a black president.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 5:00pm On Jan 21, 2008
@DayoKanu

In as much as I detest the behavior of the Clinton's, the reality that we live in or that we have to face is the fact that Obama if he wins the nomination can never win the white house by himself. America still get that thing for their blood way be say they would never allow it. Let us not forget that whites make up a significant amount of the American population. America is better ready for a female white president than a black male president.

As Jesoul put it, I really think Obama's best bet is to take vice presidency now, and come back 8 years from now for presidenccy. Then he would have gained enough "experience" plus he is still young.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by Wordsmith(m): 5:09pm On Jan 21, 2008
. . .and in that 4-8 years time, will America be ready for a black president?

Food for thought. . .
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by dayokanu(m): 5:14pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Seguntx,

If Obama can not win the presidency its not Clinton to tell. Hilary hardly talks about her plans for America rather its always about Obama. Now Clinton who I so much respect is now into this too. What a shame. Instead Obama takes it in a more matured way despite the two way attack on her Bill and Hilary even went as far as making reference to Obama's race and the fact that he used drugs as a youth what is all that for?

SegunTX,
Obama did not contest Michigan because of the Democratic party ruling.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by IykeD1(m): 5:18pm On Jan 21, 2008

@IykeD

Really don't know if winning Iowa really meant that much. Hillary has won three in a row now - New Hampshire, Detroit and Nevada. E go hard for Obama to be nominated, abi you don't think so?

And ttrust me the moment wey Obama becomes nominated, then you would know that there are some
die hard whites who would never allow a black president.

I don't doubt you at all, but like I said anything can happen and it is possible. Obama was written
off and then he won Iowa (not really a place where you find that many non-whites). I may be wrong but
I believe why Clinton may have won the popular vote in Nevada, Obama won the delegates which is still
the key.

Even at that, the margin of victory for Clinton in the last few elections is nothing to be proud of. It will eventually boil down to what will happen in the much bigger states (super Tuesday). The first turning point
for Obama was winning Iowa as that signaled to the "establishment" that he is electable.

Sure, there are die-hard racists out there, but the minute the "establishment" is ready to carry a candidate, then the actions of those few won't really amount to much because as you know the "establishment" will
not only support a candidate financially, but will use its vast resources to begin to shape opinions about their
candidate.

I am not saying it will be a cakewalk, but the ruling party has made such a mess of things that its going to be hard for some people to walk away from this intelligent guy with a can-do attitude simply because of the color of his skin. There have been a few black mayors and governors - most of them didn't get there by relying solely on the black voters. Finally, don't underestimate the hatred the republicans have for Hillary.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 5:21pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Wordsmith

In as much as you are right, would America be ready 4 to 8 years from now for a black president, one thing for sure is he would have more experience than where he stands now.

In addition, Obama is smart, he would take it upon himself to do "stuff" that would show that he is capable and competent. More than anything else, Obama's color is what puts him at a disadvantage, but in addition is the fact that he has no "experience". Over time he would overvcome the "experience issue, he would still have to deal with his race, but guess what that may not really come into play at that time.

This is just my opinion, I may be wrong.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 5:29pm On Jan 21, 2008
@DayoKanu,

Now you made a very intersting point. I support your notion, but does America support it?

The way I see it, Obama is intellectual, needless to say that he realistic plans. His plan on healthcare for instance is more realistic and feasible in my books. He plans to spend $60B while Edwards and Clinton plans on $100B on a plan that doesn't seem realistic to me. And like you righfully said, the Clinton's are playing dirty politics. But let us not forget how influential the CLinton's are. I really hope am wrong and that you are right but think about it my broda.

In as much as this guys blows my mind off with what he says and how he plans to accomplish all his goals, I really don't think he has the same effect on the INNER CAUCUS - the real rulers of America.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 5:32pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Iyke D

I like your analysis on Obama. Nice choice of Word too - "Electable". And that is exactly a truth statement. He has proven that he can win, and has been neck and neck with Clinton all the way, lets just see what happens.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by IykeD1(m): 5:34pm On Jan 21, 2008
Experience?

How much experience did the current occupant of the office have before being elected?
I think Obama is more than adequately qualified for the job just like Hillary. Folks, don't
confuse Bill Clinton for Hillary Clinton!
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by nigeria1: 5:48pm On Jan 21, 2008
this is politics, i tell you, if it remain the way it is going republical would return to power. Obama would win the democratic ticket but it is a diffeent story with the white house. John Edward would beat the republical. If I am Obama, I would make a deal with Edward. and give my delegate vote to him and run as vice president. This way democratic would win. I still believe that the USA is not ready for a black president or a female president. may be next time. There is too much wahala in the USA govt now, that I think they are not ready. The best for black people in the USA is try to get 20 senator in congress to reflect population. Obama is a wonderful man but some time in politics race may have his advantage and disadvantage . With Iraq and iran can a woman handle the mistake, too much. too much wahala, I am not saying Obama would not win. I may be wrong. He look good winning the Democratic. I do not see anything stopping him , not even clinton. Even in Nevada , he lead her in delegate. Number of vote do not matter. it is the delegate that those. remember Al Gore case, Edward/obama would beat any of the Republic candidate with Obama vice president
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by JeSoul(f): 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2008
SegunTX:

@ Jesoul,

Who do you suppose Obama would pick for vice president (supposing he is nominated)? I am trying to think but I no sabi.

Another thing way cross my mind be say Clinton may not want to use Obama, but rather decide to use Bill Richardson in a desperate attempt to secure Hispanic votes.

I really want to know who you think go be vice for Obama though?

It's hard to say. If he gets the dem nomination he'll need a very influential person becos he cannot win against the Reps riding on his own charisma and draw alone. I think he'll stand a much better chance with Edwards vs Richardson.

or maybe he'll fish out John Kerry to join him - since kerry has already given him his support. Now that would be intresting to see!
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 5:56pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Nigeria1

Habaaaaaaaaaa, do you really think that Obama and Edwards could win the White House. That is so impossible. Obama and anyother person other than Edwards. I would probably even do better with Obama than Edwards  grin. The truth of the matter is that Edward doesn't have the personna to move a crowd. To me he is just a figure head in this campaign.

Your vice needs to contribute something to the table. Edwards really do not have any strong hold on any of the demographics that there possibly can be. Bottom line: Edwards + Obama = Obama back in Illinois.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by IykeD1(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21, 2008
What is the use of making a deal now? Its not like its a living contract that can be enforced in a
court of law.

The best thing Obama can do is do what he his doing now. If in the end, Hillary emerges, then
Obama makes himself even more valuable than before as it will be obvious to all that he his what
is needed to pull in those voters that are not fans of Hillary - the moderates, independents, young
voters, etc. Obama has everything to gain and nothing lose - why not milk it!
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21, 2008
@JeSeoul,

I don't now it can happen that edwards and Obama would win. See my previous post. But now that you mentioned Kerry. That may be a very intersting name to fly around,
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Iyke D

You are absolutely right. Nothing to loose, but everything to gain. And of course, now is not a time for Obama to throw in the towel. Give Hillary a run of her life and money. At least they would know that just because they are the "Clintons" doesnt guarantee anything for them.

And what do you think though about the mention of John Kerry for vice. Do you think he would take it. Remember he endorsed Obama for president.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by JeSoul(f): 6:02pm On Jan 21, 2008
cheesy hehe, Edwards is a figure-head - that's why he's perfect for Obama! lol. Someone who can bring in not a huge crowd but just enough votes/support for Obama to win. He's influential in his own right. and frankly I don't see any of the other Democrats (besides maybe Richardson) "stooping" down to become Obama's vice, they all have monster egos with Hillary at the top. lol.

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Kerry to jump in as vice- he's been dying to get in the white house - here's his chance
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2008
LMAO,

hehe, Edwards is a figure-head - that's why he's perfect for Obama! lol. Someone who can bring in not a huge crowd but just enough votes/support for Obama to win.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by JeSoul(f): 6:20pm On Jan 21, 2008
SegunTX:

LMAO,

hehe, Edwards is a figure-head - that's why he's perfect for Obama! lol. Someone who can bring in not a huge crowd but just enough votes/support for Obama to win.
cheesy they better strike that deal now abi? lol.

At the end of the day I think the only way the dems can win the house of white is to have a Clinton/Obama ticket. That would be formiddable and almost certainly unbeatable like IykeD put it, this process increases his value and will win whatever votes Hillary doesn't already have.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 6:40pm On Jan 21, 2008
By The Way,
Nigeria is playing Ivory Coast as we write, still 0-0
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by bashali: 8:49pm On Jan 21, 2008
why waste time. Hillary would not be president of the USA. Why waste vote. I have nothing against her.  Look if Democratic present hillary. The republical would win the white house. That is my prediction. You need a white male on the democratic party side. I am been honest, nothing against women. They would tear her apart. The Republical machine is too powerful for a woman.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by Truthman(m): 9:40pm On Jan 21, 2008
Hiliary will win the nomination and guess what - she would not even consider obama for VP. it would be btw Gen Wesley Clark and Sen Evan Bayh.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by IykeD1(m): 9:54pm On Jan 21, 2008

Hiliary will win the nomination and guess what - she would not even consider obama for VP. it would be between Gen Wesley Clark and Sen Evan Bayh.

and so?

Assuming your "highly placed" source of information is correct, pray tell me why it should make any
difference strategically for Obama to withdraw now?
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by vigasimple(m): 11:04pm On Jan 21, 2008
Once the super Tuesday comes and go, Hilary clinton( if she wins) and Bill clinton are pragmatic politicians and would look at the demographics.

If she win's and didn't draft OBAMA for VP, she may have a battle in her hands against the GOP.

In any event the process is still ON, and nobody believes that OBAMA will give Hilary run for her money, even she and Bill thinks it will be a stroll in the park. that is why Bill Clinton started to attack OBAMA as 'fairy tale'. why didn't he wait for him and his wife to have a bruise nose in NH before even Hillary talking down on the accomplishment of Martin luther king jr. It is a sly on black race in a way as bellitling what MLK did and what OBAMA can do.

She is still in the race because of 'teary eyes' appealing to women voters 'the go girly thing' appealling to them to say this is the women time. she was on the brink of losing NH and then the race maybe over for her because she was going to pull out of Nevada and S.C to concentrate on Super duper tuesday which is Guiallni tactics which as we all know is now backfiring badly and he RUDY might go empty handed.

I think RACE is still a clear dividing line in America so that may affect OBAMA. For example in NEVADA even the Latino and Hispanics are voting against African American because of 'ethinic competition' Richardson their man didn't get anything more than 5%

Also very interesting despite OBAMA loosing the popular vote in NEVADA, he won 1 more delegate than Hilary, and the winnning margin is 51% to 45% and 5% for Edwards that says a lot for a man who was about 20% behind just 5 weks ago.

OBAMA may pull this off and if he does, even the independents and Republicans will vote for him.

TIME AS THEY SAY WILL TELL.

OBAMA ALL THE WAY, CHANGE WE CAN BELEIVE IN, FIRED UP AND READY TO GO.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 11:35pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ Vigasimple,

So you mean to tell me that you sincerely believe that Obama can become the president of AMERICA, I mean AMERICA?? I am not very sure about that. Winning Democratic nominee may not be unachievable, but if he does winning the white house I think is a feat,

But as you rightfully said, only time would tell. So lets wait and see.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 11:37pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ Vigasimple,

So you mean to tell me that you sincerely believe that Obama can become the president of AMERICA, I mean AMERICA?? I am not very sure about that. Winning Democratic nominee may not be unachievable, but if he does winning the white house I think is a feat,

But as you rightfully said, only time would tell. So lets wait and see.
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by LiquidMind(m): 11:59pm On Jan 21, 2008
Who controles the democrats and the Republican  party ??.    THE FEDERAL RESERVE CONTROL BOTH.

Your vote will not prevent you from debt to the banking cartels.
IF you vote for a presidential canidate and still be in debt,  then your problem is not solve but you have been deceived again,    

If you want to remain a slave to the banks and all so pay for your slavery,  go ahead and VOTE

(MY PEOPLE ARE DESTROYED FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE )
Re: Obama Would Fair Better As Vice President? by SegunTX(m): 12:04am On Jan 22, 2008
@ Liquidmind,

I am LMAO grin sorry to say, but you really do sound as though you have a liquid mind, ok just kidding but in reality, just because you wont get out of debt when the next president gets into office doesnt mean you should vote. I understand you cynism, but the fact is that this very mind set would not change anything either. You can keep doing the same thing and expect there to be a change. You gat to do something different (VOTE if you can, and while you can) and hope for a change.

(1) (2) (Reply)

China Earthquake: Survivors of the Storm / Mutallability: (coined From Mutallab): A New Word In The Oxford Dictionary! / Who Is The Presenter Of The Debate.? She's Too

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.