Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

The Zik People Don’t Know – Chukwuma Azikiwe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Zik People Don’t Know – Chukwuma Azikiwe (3496 Views)

Onitsha was founded by Edo Prince.(by Nnamdi Azikiwe the zik of Africa) / Buhari To Complete Zik Mausoleum / Chukwuma Bamidele Dies (Nnamdi-Azikiwe's First-Son) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Zik People Don’t Know – Chukwuma Azikiwe by akpunku1: 1:54pm On Oct 12, 2012
Chukwuma Azikiwe (Owelle of Onitsha) is the eldest son of the late Nigeria’s first President, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. He is not a common face in the press but at the weekend members of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Anambra state council preparing for the second annual Zik’s lecture scheduled for Monday 15th October, 2012, visited him and he opened up on some issues.
This encounter came a day before the Federal Government announced contract for the Zik’s Mausoleum. Our reporters Odogwu Christian and Ekpone Francis were there. Excerpts

As the head of Zik’s family, how has life been without him over these years?
First of all, may I thank NUJ, Anambra State chapter for their initiative, and the Chairman’s hard work in pursing this laudable project of immortalizing my father? Last year’s event was, indeed, highly successful, in spite of the fact that it was an initial attempt. And congratulations to all of you.
The question you asked is that, of course, we miss our father very much. We wish he was around. Certain things happen and you wish you could discuss it with him or discuss it with people who will discuss it with him. But you know, life is finite. We will all accept the will of God. And we thank God for his life the life He gave him and the opportunity for us to be his family.

Why have you kept your distance from active politics over the years nor accepted any political appointment like others whose fathers dominated the First and Second Republics?
Actually, the question is something that has different angles to the answer. One, there was a general feeling among us in the family that our father had contributed quite a lot.
Also, he was somebody who believed in building up others to join the national struggle for independence and so on. And we thought may be, we should break, let others contribute their own quota. There’s always time for us to come in. And also, as some people observed, in this part, some people would say, after their father now they want to come and …
And, personally, I also believe that being a good follower is also very important. And, also, I’m somebody who is used to working in the background, and, going on errands. Like when my father was campaigning and things like that we will do the work from behind, and, go to make contacts too while the show goes on.
Also, we were looking at a situation where we saw, sometimes, very unhealthy the developments in Nigerian politics, this is very important. May be I should have started with it. Nigerian politics as we saw out father and his other colleagues and compatriots who worked for the independence of our country; it was for service. They really believed in rendering service to the country, and, also, improving the lives of the people. But we started seeing a situation where politics was for self aggrandizement or for power.
A lot of people were going into politics in the unhealthy way. Mind you, there were still a lot of good people too who were going in with the right spirits to render service and help. But, perhaps, you will agree with me that it was becoming like a do or die thing, and, also, a business. You know, very unhealthy. You really have to pause, and, study the situation before you get involved in that type of quagmire. I might say that some people have quietly talked with me about political appointments, but, what was discussed that looked very good on the surface was, actually, in the final analysis a booby traps.
It is not in a way that I can render service purely. It looked like a juicy thing. And that’s not what our family tradition should be. But, by and large too, some of the political actors, they are really building themselves up. If they come to me they are really trying to use you, and, not to make you contribute. So, you look at these things, and, you are careful, and studying the situation. And that may guide you on what to do.
So you decided to keep away from active politics.
Well, for a time being. We have our feelings, we know what to support. But time will tell. But this is not the type of politics our fathers and their colleagues craved for Nigeria. Theirs was about service, sacrifice and so on. And they cared for the poor people.

There were so many myths about your father and some even said that he was into mysticism, or occultism etc. How would you describe your late father?
I will say that he was a God fearing man, a Christian in a practical way. I don’t know about magic. I will tell you a story about magic and Zik. It is a good thing that our brother from Nsukka is here.
I believe it was 1945 or 46. There was assassination attempt; there was an alleged plot by the colonial authorities to have Zik assassinated. So Zik disappeared, he ran away. In this particular occasion, using an indirect way and going away from where he was headed, he ultimately landed in Onitsha. He was hidden in a basement of a friend’s house, at old market road. Sir Louis Mbanefo was staying there. Sir Louis’ nephews, the twins Odigwe whom we buried three weeks ago and his twin brother, Nwakibie, who we thank God is still alive, they were taking food secretly to him.
Sir Louis’ elder brother, Chief Isaac who was a UAC produce buyer along the Anambra Basin using his contacts reached Chief Ukwuta of Igah in Nsukka who was also in the same produce business. In those days there really no great roads, river was very important. So between these two people, they smuggled Zik into a thick bush at Nsukka and the place at that time was outside Nsukka town where tailor Eze was before he died. And it was Ukwuta’s wife and some people who were preparing food and taking to Zik. The colonial authorities were looking for Zik all over the place.
And because when he was coming to Onitsha, he has moved West and North, it was logical to look for him through the East. But the thing was that these people risked their lives and shielded him effectively. Zik was looked for all over the place, he could not be found. That was how the story arouse that time that the colonial people came to look for Zik to kill him but he changed into a flier, disappeared! (Laughs). That’s one story about the magic. To the best of my knowledge, he was a good Christian and a descent person, very courageous; he wanted “treat others as you would like yourself to be treated.”
He disliked oppression or injustice. And he would always fight and defend the right of others.

Would you say the Federal Government is fair to your late father with regards to the construction of the mausoleum?
Well, that’s a many sided question. The government has surely taken a decision to honour him by building the mausoleum. They are the one who decided for it. But the problem is the implementation. You can see that from the time of Yar’Adua (the late president) for example, every amount the presidency has asked for the project in the budget, the National Assembly has always approved intact. So there’s a great support for it in the legislative arm, and, presumably in the Executive arm which sends the bills.
But as one delay led to the other, you can see the storm of protests cutting across Nigeria which means that it is a project that people believe in and want to see completed. The main problem is the execution; this could be those that are asked to do, it also be the officials that are supposed to supervise the work. After all, you don’t expect the senators and members of the House of Representatives who passed that Appropriation Bill to troop down to Zik’s compound to come and build the mausoleum and supervise it, neither do you expect President Jonathan or late President Yar’Adua to do that.
We believe that may be a task force of the federal government, and, the ministry might help to isolate this thing from certain bureaucratic problems. Some of you were here when the previous minister, Chief Ntuesen Esien came here. He was very sincere and he went ahead to try to implement … but, it’s unbelievable. A defective contract was awarded without the knowledge of the minister by some officials.
Some of the work men you see here are trying to rectify the bad job that was done. It was a bad job. We have a new minister, Ama Pepple. I hear that one is very committed to this project. She sent down her top officials, many of them organize and prepare for the project. We are hopeful but also take cognizance that majority of Nigerians have lost patience, and, in fact, many of them are now blaming me that I’m being soft.
I’m not being soft, I’m trying to understand the structure of the government and get them do what they want to do. I think from what we know there’s a unanimity of minds to go forward. But if there are problems believe you me I will be the first person to be shouting from the roof tops. It’s true that I pleaded with a group, society for the actualization of ideals of Nnamdi Azikiwe who had organized a big demonstration about the Mausoleum project.
The reason why I did that was because it was being targeted at the Executive and National Assembly, people who are really approving these things. So I asked them to have patience; let’s see how it will be implemented then you will know the target of your protests instead of protesting unjustly. But I should think that patience has a limit. Part of it is the Nigerian way of doing things.

It appears you are enjoying the life of solitude you are living since the death of your father?
Thank you, it is the way that I regulate my life and my time. Actually, I learnt that from my father. My father always talked about Agro who died very early. He said that Africans kill their leaders by pestering them all the time. So, and, my father used to regulate his own time. In fact, there’s a time you won’t see the Great Zik unless properly planned schedule of when he will see people. That I have imbibed. I’m here but I have my patterns in Lagos. I plot out time in which you will come.
Tochukwu when you came here there were some people that I didn’t give appointment, and, I had already made it clear that I would not see the people today during the working hours, but, that from three or four I will see. And I told those of them who came that I was very firm about it because they know it is only one of them who had an emergency that I saw. I know that I had an appointment with you.
If you are not organized, you cannot accomplish much. Sometimes, I see people out of turn because my place is a distance from the centre of the town. And, of course, there are some people who come in from outside. But there’s one thing. I don’t encourage people coming in here to hang out, to gossip, I receive people.
People have an idea of how I receive people. They ask people who know. And they will tell them if you want to see Owelle, you have to make appointment, tell what it is. I don’t encourage hanging out and gossiping. Even with my quiet approach you will be surprised that certain thing that I hear that are supposedly were said here, fathom stories. So, this I learnt from my father and those of you who know him, know that if you are going to see him, he has always talking of one Okolo, his secretary.
That way my father was able to calm his life, and, he was nineties. But he saw people that he needed to see, but, didn’t allow himself to be harassed. But I contemplate with some of my Harvard schoolmates in the states. We have a business. We got some consultancy. In these days of DHL and rapid communication you can actually make your contacts without traveling or see face to face. We have a contract with a courier service. We send files back and front. But my business partners come and occasionally, I go. You have to be organized somehow. It’s not running helter-skelter. But, of course, I am slowing down. Tomorrow for example, I’m going to be here. I will be quiet here because our cousin will be buried. I’m not going to go there. And I will not step out of my compound. Our people will be coming. But I like solitude.

What has the Eastern State Governors done for the memory of your father?
I agree with one of you who said earlier that Zik was a national figure. And also Zik of Africa. It is not clear to me that it is right that the Eastern States should be saddled with the responsibility of the Mausoleum project. Their proper role will be to find out from us where there is problem and join in urging the federal government to do things that are necessary in other to realize the project.
But significantly something was done around 2001, 2002. Governors in the South East showed a certain commitment on some matter which unfortunately we have not seen any result in spite of the effort. I don’t know if you people heard of the attempt to make a Zik Centre at Enugu. It was being promoted at that time by Anyim Pius Anyim, the then Senate President. Many people had their reservations; many people were skeptical because they were saying look why don’t we finish the mausoleum thing and go on to Zungeru project which is also abandoned for now in spite of the enthusiasm and resources made available by the Babangida administration.
Well, that time, we were persuaded. We all went to Enugu for the launching of this Zik’s Centre. People like Pius Anyim Pius, he also had Anya O. Anya as one of the organizers. And virtually all the Governors of the South East were there and they came in for N25 million which was initial. I think they said they were trying to raise N2 billion but some people who were there, including Maxi Ukwuta from Nsukka, he was there. What was talked about was that they approached one and a half billion (Naira), or whatever I didn’t really kept down. But people gave.
The present Governor of Imo State, Rochas, also donated half a million (naira) in Ojukwu’s name. Ojukwu was there. He said he would put down cash. So people were quite enthusiastically pursing that project. The South Eastern Governors really rallied in 2001. And they had their local governments and different contacts and so on. Well, at the end of the day nothing. It was one day, C.C. Onoh came here (forget the politics of ’78, ’79, C.C Onoh was very close to my father.
He was one of the Zik’s boys. They made up. At one time they said there was a problem of getting the land at Enugu. And C. C said if there is any problem, …, C.C. was in good terms with Governor Chimaroke Nnamani. And Nnamani without hesitation allocated very good land to Anyim Pius Anyim for the project. And I don’t know what has happened to the project. What I’m trying to say is that at that time when it counted the Governors of the South East at the time, Nnamani, Mbadinuju, Achike Udenwa (Orji Uzor Kalu, I don’t think he was there but he sent a strong representation) and then Sam Egwu was there.
I might also like to add that when President Kenneth Kauda came as a Guest Speaker in Zik’s lecture here, it was Chimaroke Nnamani who put him up at Enugu although our group sourced fund and put him in a hotel. Then Sam Egwu did give his support for that sort of thing. And Mbadinuju later also gave support. So, what I’m saying is that when get together to do things they have … but in the recent past there has not been anything.
What have been the contributions of the National Assembly members from the South East
May be they should lend support by joining in encouraging the Executives, federal government to do what is necessary.

What is your relationship with your late father’s wife and children?
My late father was survived by two wives. His second wife was Madam Ugoye Azikiwe from Ogbunike. She was the mother of Engineer Okey Azikiwe formerly of the Water Board. Okey is now with his family in Indiana, United States. He went there few years ago. But he has a home behind here, this area belongs to our village.
His senior sister, Amalubia is with Mrs. Agbapuonwu. They are based in Jos, Plateau State. The other daughter, Chiebonam and her husband, Chude who is working with FADAMA Project, they are living also here in Onitsha. We have good relations. My father’s third wife is Professor Uche Azikiwe (Dr. Uche Azikiwe rather). In all families, you have ups and downs and challenges. But I will like your chairman to come and read this text message (in my phone).
Chairman come. Hands over his mobile phone to NUJ Anambra Chairman, Tochukwu Udoji Omelu and asked her: from who is this text? Tochukwu replied: Azikiwe Molokwu). That’s Uche’s first son. (read the message and on which day did he send the message?) (Then Tochukwu reads: “Wishing you a merry happy father’s day, 17th June, 2012. From Azikiwe Molokwu”), fine.
Some people in the press write that we are at loggerhead. There will always be challenges, but, those who want to fish or harvest in troubled waters will always exaggerate so that they can find a way to come in. I give you example. There’s somebody who raised a significant amount for a project to honour my father. He hasn’t moved last time; Igwe Ogbunide now saw this person (late last week) and we asked him, what is happening?
He said that the Azikiwe’s family has not untied to give him a person who can be a director in their board. I thought that, that statement was beyond contempt. Igwe Ogbunide, the then Igwe Oraukwu, he was my father’s architect, young friends from the time he was at the University of Nsukka. He came around and asked him; “you claimed there are two factions (in Zik’s family). Are the factions stopping you from moving ahead? If you want them, you have a big boss, ask the two factions to give you somebody. Igwe Ogbunide told him, “don’t insult my intelligence.” Last year, we buried my half mother. His mother was late … she had him for my father before she was married by Ibru.
She was Ibru’s first wife. I don’t have anything to do with dead people. I’m the head of the Nnamdi Azikiwe family. And by virtue of being Owelle, I’m the head of all the families of … which Ogbeaba Village is one, then you have Umudei, you have Ogbe Odogwu, then you have Ogbendida. You know there are people who try to say that this faction of family will go to court. The fact is that they are trying to create a division that was not there. I have nothing to do with the dead. But our brother Chinyelugo, that was 28 going to 29 at that time and was working in a bank, in Bahamas in West Indies. And primogenitor. Let him go there as others. I don’t have anything to do with it. Although I will make the arrangement and fund it. I delegated … to do the burial. It is his right. Who did the announcement? Are the names of Molokwu and Uwakwe not listed there? And this Chude, Okey Azikiwe and all those people, are they not listed there? The fact is that my father was survived by two wives. Some people trying mischievously to push out Ugoye from Ogbunike.
She was the one that was sleeping down here on the other side of the house when visitors finished seeing me when we were burying my father, they go there. Some people were saying she was a village woman. Village woman my eye. She lived with my grand-mother. She was my father’s wife, and, she is being suppressed. So the day we were burying Chinyelugo Nnaemeka, I consigned them to the other side (pointing at one of the parts of the compound). I don’t have anything to do with seeing the dead. But some friends came. And of course, when Molokwu said … finished (the interment) they came here and sat with me. And Chude, Chiebonam’s husband. I’m not saying there are not challenges, there are challenges in every family. But I’m (really) sick and tired of people who want to fish in troubled waters. Did you believe until I gave you this thing (the text message) that Molokwu and I are in touch? We talk. Uwakwe contacts me. I’m not saying that things are perfect. But the way they put it is that we are all at daggers drawn, at each other throat.

What are your views on the present day politics vis-à-vis Zik’s political philosophy and ideology?
As I mentioned earlier, their own politics was for service and sacrifices. And he believed in democracy and freedom, actual democracy and not lip service democracy. And for that he craved that that democracy should be based on free and fair elections. And it is government of the people by the people. He was a strong believer in justice and equity.
And he believed in unity. People understanding each other… we were very fortunate when we were growing up, we had a big backyard, really big backyard. So, our place was where neighborhood children would gather and we play ball and so all sorts of sports. And right from time, at Yaba Lagos, our father taught us that there is a good Igbo man and bad Igbo man, good Yoruba and bad Yoruba.
Your responsibility is to try and understand people and judge people by the content of their character not by the appellation of their tribe or clan. In fact, there were some people who were trying to misquote my father in a book and also in an article. They were scoring a cheap political point. You see, my father believes that if you try and find to share a corner with the other people, it becomes easier to forge unity because you have a common front. Are you with me? So, you say look, let’s emphasize our common values and then there is a transliteration of people (most of you speak Igbo?) K’anyi lozo ife n’etisa anyi (let’s forget our differences).
You’re not saying there are no differences. You are saying, let’s concentrate on the things that hold us together. Some people were writing a book and they said out of context that Zik told Sarduana let’s forget our differences and forge ahead, “that Sarduana said No, that we must understand our differences” before we go ahead. Our father was always in “what do I have in common with you?” that we can use as a common platform. It is unfortunate that in Nigeria today that we are having security challenges based on ethno-religious differences. Some of these things are based on larger societal ills that purely are, perhaps agents of international terrorism and intolerance that have also managed to infiltrate our body politics.
But all is really not lost. If you look at it, most Nigerians, in every part of Nigeria are not in support of what Boko Haram is doing. You have heard mausoleum religious leaders, you have heard the Sultan, senior Emirs and senior politicians, you heard General (Muhammadu) Buhari who was premier Northern (Presidential) candidate in the last election, they have all said no, this is not good. In other words, in spite of this terrible thing we are getting a united consensus that can help to unite our country.
United we started, divided we fail. Those who think they can manipulate our differences for their own ends are being patriotic Nigerians and also to the black race because Nigeria by size, resources, human resources and others, we are really a beacon of hope and succor to many black people, both in Africa and in Diaspora. And it is very important that we maintain this course of unity. It is not easy but we have very few and viable choices. But the key is to always look at people as individuals. Then you know those you can work with. But don’t come and say, “this man is from Imo, I won’t work with him.” It’s not going to get us anywhere. That’s stereotype. What we accuse people who have prejudices against blacks, it will be ridiculous for us who are black people to come and discriminate against ourselves. And this is our father’s ideology of unity, tolerance and understanding.

source: http://orientnewspaper.com/the-zik-people-dont-know-chukwuma-azikiwe/
Re: The Zik People Don’t Know – Chukwuma Azikiwe by chino24: 3:54pm On Oct 12, 2012
Great Zik lives on..

The fore-most Nigeria nationalist and the only Nigerian Pan-Africanist..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic / It’s A Disgrace On Igbo To Beg Buhari For Appointments – Ohanaeze / Boko Haram Group Shares New Photos Of Its Weapons Of Mass Destruction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.