Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,830 members, 7,806,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa (3812 Views)

Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates / Nigerians Living In Melbourne (most Livable City In The World). / Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by RickyRoss1(m): 12:26pm On Oct 15, 2012
Africa.com has released their Top 10 list of the Most Livable Cities in Africa. Accra has taken the number 2 spot. Below is the top 10

1. Cape Town, South Africa

2. Accra, Ghana
In addition to being a wonderful urban home for roughly 20 percent of Ghana’s 20 million total population, Accra has become the leisure destination of choice for upscale Nigerians who take a quick 45-minute flight to spend time at their Accra weekend homes.
Ghana’s capital city is a sophisticated urban area, with a full range of restaurants, bars, nightclubs, and increasingly, shopping malls. There are many affluent areas, including East Legon—the location of the city's only traditional shopping complex, Accra Mall. Another popular option is Osu, locally referred to as “Oxford Street”, where many go to shop and hang out. The downtown area has seen much development over the last decade and the range of serviced high rise apartments makes it an easy location to set up home quickly. The warmth of the Ghanaian people is an asset and is an important part of what attracts Nigerians to want to spend their leisure time here. The tropical climate makes it all the more appealing.
Things are changing for the better, and fast. Many citizens who left to the West are returning home, bringing with them enthusiasm, fresh ideas, and degrees from top universities abroad. Coupled with the government's commitment to investing proceeds into social and physical infrastructure, one can only imagine that Accra will become even more livable in the years to come.

3. Nairobi, Kenya
4. Johannesburg, South Africa
5. Gaborone, Botswana
6. Libreville, Gabon
7. Tunis, Tunisia
8. Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
9. Windhoek, Namibia
10. Kigali, Rwanda
Link to full article:

READ WHAT GHANIANS ARE SAYING ABOUT THE RANKING HERE: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=253147&comment=0#com
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2012
Ricky_Ross:
READ WHAT GHANIANS ARE SAYING ABOUT THE RANKING HERE: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=253147&comment=0#com

Basically, I used to think Nigerians were the most tribalistic people on this planet, however, after reading the comments on that link - Ghanaians are worse... grin

It's battle royal between Ewe, Anago, Ga, Fente and Ashante... Bwahahahaha

At least, Nigerians have something to celebrate...

The black race is going to hell in a handbag! cheesy
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by RickyRoss1(m): 2:10pm On Oct 15, 2012
shymexx:

Basically, I used to think Nigerians were the most tribalistic people on this planet, however, after reading the comments on that link - Ghanaians are worse... grin

Not at all, Nigerians are not as tribalistic as Ghanians. Just visit Ghanaweb everyday and see how they turn every news into tribal wars.
The Ewes are accused of every single crime in Ghana, they are daily reminded how they came from Togo and how the new coming NPP president will send them back to Togo. Just google "The Ewe Evil List Updated" and see how one single individual spent several hours writing all the ills of one single tribe, laugh go tear your belly after reading the shiiit.

The Ashanti's are said to have over 70% of all ashawos in Ghana (who conducted the pool), they are called dwarfs, lazy, shone shine boys, dog chain sellers bla bla bla. I wonder if Ghana had up to 100 Million population what will happen to that country.
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by MajeOfficial: 4:24pm On Oct 15, 2012
Nigerians are no different, lets stop pointing fingers.
Im wondering why Abuja isn't on here. Unless i'm misinformed because I haven't been there, I would imagine it being very 'liveable'
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by Otutu1(m): 4:37am On Oct 16, 2012
[quote author=]Nigerians are no different, lets stop pointing fingers.
Im wondering why Abuja isn't on here. Unless i'm misinformed because I haven't been there, I would imagine it being very 'liveable' [/quote] I also wondered why Abuja wasn't on the list but then again I remembered the ( B )
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by Gbawe: 8:49am On Oct 16, 2012
shymexx:

"Anago" is their tag for Nigerians and not an ethnic group in Ghana.
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by Blazay(m): 8:54am On Oct 16, 2012
Very credible list.

Abuja is the most liveable ONLY in Nigeria.
The best of all evils! kiss
Lagos na NEUROLOGICAL TORTURE CHAMBER. . . .only if you love stress and you wanno die before ya time! kiss
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by okooyinbo(m): 9:01am On Oct 16, 2012
Gbawe:

"Anago" is their tag for Nigerians and not an ethnic group in Ghana.
Actually, Anago is a Yoruba subgroup from Republic du Benin. Alata is the other term they used to use in reference to Yoruba / Nigerian.
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by Gbawe: 9:48am On Oct 16, 2012
okooyinbo:
Actually, Anago is a Yoruba subgroup from Republic du Benin. Alata is the other term they used to use in reference to Yoruba / Nigerian.

Guy, Ghanaians call Nigerians "Anago". Simple. Ask those who actually know Ghana and perhaps have Ghanaian relatives. Too many people make conclusions based on what they read alone whereas real on-the-ground experience is superior to everything else. I don't see the relevance of telling us that "Anago is a Yoruba subgroup from Republic du Benin" when my point is that there is no ethnic group in Ghana called Anago as Shymexx assumed. Rather, peculiar to Ghana, "Anago" refers to Nigerians.
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:58am On Oct 16, 2012
shymexx:

^^^Now how the hell do you turn a news story about Accra being the '2nd most livable city in Africa' into a tribal free-for-all e-fight shocked?.....and there i was thinking intra-country e-fights were peculiar to Nigeria only undecided.
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by Gbawe: 10:05am On Oct 16, 2012
@Topic.

Accra deserves accolades as a very "livable" City by African standards. As far as I can tell, in my over 10 years association with the City, it has always been like that comparative to other populous African Cities. Whether some like it or not, it means Ghanaians are doing certain things right others can learn from. Although it must be said that Ghana's challenges are different to that of Nigeria. Lagos, for example, has challenges that means Accra is unlikely to serve as a model for conquering the greatest problems of the State.
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by RickyRoss1(m): 10:58am On Oct 16, 2012
Gbawe:

Guy, Ghanaians call Nigerians "Anago". Simple. Ask those who actually know Ghana and perhaps have Ghanaian relatives. Too many people make conclusions based on what they read alone whereas real on-the-ground experience is superior to everything else. I don't see the relevance of telling us that "Anago is a Yoruba subgroup from Republic du Benin" when my point is that there is no ethnic group in Ghana called Anago as Shymexx assumed. Rather, peculiar to Ghana, "Anago" refers to Nigerians.

Yes you are on point, there is no tribe in Ghana called Anago.
Anago is a derogatory term for Nigerians. Only the Ghanaian know what Anago mean, each time they call me Anago i ask them what it means but they don't tell you.

Maybe it could mean "THOSE CANNIBALS" I don't know, bc from my experience over 70% of Ghanians believe that Nigerians eat human beings, am talking about both illiterates and educated Ghanians, only the few ones who have been to Nigeria know this to be false.
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by RickyRoss1(m): 11:23am On Oct 16, 2012
Gbawe: @Topic.

Accra deserves accolades as a very "livable" City by African standards. As far as I can tell, in my over 10 years association with the City, it has always been like that comparative to other populous African Cities. Whether some like it or not, it means Ghanians are doing certain things right others can learn from. Although it must be said that Ghana's challenges are different to that of Nigeria. Lagos, for example, has challenges that means Accra is unlikely to serve as a model for conquering the greatest problems of the State.

I respect your opinion but having traveled up to 12 African countries I can honestly say Accra does not come close to top 10 spot in Africa. In West Africa it is Abuja, Abidjan and Dakar before Accra. Accra is not well planned and Ghanians knows this. Currently there is plan to move the capital away from Accra. You should read the honest comments of Ghanians on the Ghana webpage to know this list is biased.

No matter what criteria used, in my humble opinion Accra is not more developed or more liveable than any of the following cities:

Abidjan
Cairo
Harare
Windhoek
Gaborone
Libreville
Abuja
Nairobi
Johannesburg
Dar Es Salaam
Tripoli

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by okooyinbo(m): 1:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
Gbawe:

I am only seeing this in 2014. Maybe I should log in more often. Anyway Gbawe, I can assure you that I did not read it only on paper, but also lived with the Ghanians when they were in Nigeria in the 1980s. We did not only live together, many were my friends, and we even wifed one in my immediate family. As I write you, I have nephew and Niece living in Ghana. You should apply caution in the way you talk so as not to appear codescending. I as a person speaks from my readings and life experiences. And to make my point more concrete: I know book, sugbon bi iwo ba tile wa ni asho bi emi, dajudaju, ire ko ni akisha to mi. Abo oro ni o!
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by iamord(m): 2:05pm On Jul 17, 2014
shymexx:

am a full blooded ghanaian and will always be proud of my roots.m tho I have been based in lagos for a while.. I thought nigerians were too tribalistic cos u don't hear much of conflict coming out of ghana.. But from the last election to this one.. It became glaring to me that they r so tribalistic.. And that is what the people are payoing for in this regieme.. People did not care who comes in ..so far its not an akan person.. Koufour came in and changed ghana but this tribalistic bigiots never saw good but always complained.. Now the incumbent have spoilt the country and they r ashamed to talk now.. I feel like slapping them all.mcos this is what has cause a lot of underdevelopment.. The oile would have been flowing well by now..and ghana utilizing its on gas..but this bastards came in and stop the previous govt projects..now even theirs they can't complete. Africa which way
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by iamord(m): 2:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
Gbawe: @Topic.

Accra deserves accolades as a very "livable" City by African standards. As far as I can tell, in my over 10 years association with the City, it has always been like that comparative to other populous African Cities. Whether some like it or not, it means Ghanaians are doing certain things right others can learn from. Although it must be said that Ghana's challenges are different to that of Nigeria. Lagos, for example, has challenges that means Accra is unlikely to serve as a model for conquering the greatest problems of the State.
u r right tho.. I have a list of projects that have been proposed to change accra..with that accra will be competing with jobuirn and other famouuus cities .. Buut this present mayor of accra and incumbent will block this dreams from coming to pass.. If you see the artistic impression of korle lagoon.. You will smile.. But they have been collecting millions of dollars for that place.. Yet nothing
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by iamord(m): 2:17pm On Jul 17, 2014
RickyRoss1:

bc from my experience over 70% of Ghanians believe that Nigerians eat human beings, am talking about both illiterates and educated Ghanians, only the few ones who have been to Nigeria know this to be false.
Well a friend asked me the same thing when I was back there..and she is no illiterate.. I asked her in suprise who told her all this things..she said a nigerian said it..and that all the degratory nonsense seen on home videos happens for real.. He emphasized on the ritual killings and all that.. That's one mistake we make over here.m there has to be proper control of the media..such news r not suppose to get out..sadly it was done by a nigerian.. Now she vowed never to step into nigeria
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by iamord(m): 2:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
RickyRoss1:

Currently there is plan to move the capital away from Accra.

You are right on that..something like abuja in the center .. The plans have already been set down.. Also there is going to be a new internation airport in prampram accra.. To ease the stress on the main accra metropolis.. the plans for that place are beautiful and sustainable..it will also house the hope city among others..

You should read the honest comments of Ghanians on the Ghana webpage to know this list is biased.

If you need honest suggestions I suggest u move to ghana thread on skyscraper city and not ghanaweb.. I visit ghanaweb just to read news.. But the comments there make me wonder if those people r ghanaians .. Never seen such degrading behaviour.. Well accra might not be number one or even 2 as they mentioned. But it deserves a spot cos there are things as as city they still try to get right.. Abuja is beautiful.. But to me it does not really have an identity. And expensive too.. The boko boys have also raised insecurity levels which give abuja a red flag
Re: Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa by Ndipe(m): 5:40am On Jan 18, 2020
The folks behing the branding of Accra as a tourist destination has done a marvellous job.

(1) (Reply)

The Lagos You Will Not See On Television / Join Me As I Travel To Mexico City For A 3 Day Holliday / A Road Trip To Johannesburg South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.