Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Speaking In Tongues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues (1059 Views)

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues by bolataiwo(m): 12:43pm On Jan 23, 2008
i want to know your view about speaking in tongues?are u in agreement with christians that speak in tongues?if no what are your reasons and if yes vice versa.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by chilla(f): 1:19pm On Jan 23, 2008
The God u worship is not deaf, he can hear u even if u say a silent prayer in ur heart. U dnt hv 2 go about shoutn.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by luvus: 1:35pm On Jan 23, 2008
Re: Speaking In Tongues by bolataiwo(m): 2:44pm On Jan 23, 2008
@chilla
But sometime u do not shout when you are speaking in tongues.can u speak in tongues
Re: Speaking In Tongues by pastormi(m): 4:56pm On Jan 24, 2008
Speaking in Tongues is not a problem.It is link to the world of the supernatural.
Just take speak with the Holy spirit.
He is a Gentle spirit that responds even to the deepest thought of your heart.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by tosruyi(m): 6:16pm On Jan 24, 2008
I really do not understand why people criticize speaking in tongues. The apostles spoke in tongues and they were christians. So why can't we as christians speak in tongues? Remember, they started speaking in tongues the first time the Holy spirit came upon them. We all say "God is always with us" and this is true. The Holy Spirit IS God, therefor the Holy Spirit is always with us, So again, why is it so marvelling for some people to accept christians speaking in tongues?
Re: Speaking In Tongues by oghos2k(m): 2:39pm On Jan 25, 2008
tosruyi:

I really do not understand why people criticize speaking in tongues. The apostles spoke in tongues and they were christians. So why can't we as christians speak in tongues? Remember, they started speaking in tongues the first time the Holy spirit came upon them. We all say "God is always with us" and this is true. The Holy Spirit IS God, therefor the Holy Spirit is always with us, So again, why is it so marvelling for some people to accept christians speaking in tongues?
i think u should ask urself what kind of tongues the apostles spoke in. They spoke in languages other people around can understand and not just some crazy noise u hear ;people screaming and no one can make a meaning from. also, in Icor 14:27, it says if people want to speak in tongues in the church, they can and they must not be more than 2 or 3. and they must speak in turn. Thats one after the other. They must also have someone to interpret what they are saying else, they should keep silent and not disturb the church. So tongue is something other people can understand and also interpret so let us all stop decieveing ourselves that the holy spirit is making us say nonsence cos thats even blasphemy.K?The holy spirit doesnt work that way.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by JeSoul(f): 3:30pm On Jan 25, 2008
oghos2k:

i think u should ask yourself what kind of tongues the apostles spoke in. They spoke in languages other people around can understand and not just some crazy noise u hear ;people screaming and no one can make a meaning from. also, in Icor 14:27, it says if people want to speak in tongues in the church, they can and they must not be more than 2 or 3. and they must speak in turn. Thats one after the other. They must also have someone to interpret what they are saying else, they should keep silent and not disturb the church. So tongue is something other people can understand and also interpret so let us all stop decieveing ourselves that the holy spirit is making us say nonsence because thats even blasphemy.K?The holy spirit doesnt work that way.

LOL grin I agree with every word, syllable, comma and full stop! If only more people paid attention to what the scriptures say about tongues.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by TayoD1(m): 5:10pm On Jan 25, 2008
@oghos2k,

i think u should ask yourself what kind of tongues the apostles spoke in.
There are probably 3 different kinds of tongues identified by the NT. The first is the divers kind of tongues in Acts 2 - this is the tongue of men understood by those who speak the language. The second is the tongue of angels, and the third is the regular prayer tongue that no man understands except God.

They spoke in languages other people around can understand and not just some crazy noise u hear ;people screaming and no one can make a meaning from.
This is true if only you are refering to Acts 2. Paul said in 1 Cor 14:2 - For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

also, in Icor 14:27, it says if people want to speak in tongues in the church, they can and they must not be more than 2 or 3. and they must speak in turn. Thats one after the other. They must also have someone to interpret what they are saying else, they should keep silent and not disturb the church.
Your quotation is right while your application is wrong. Paul's purpose for saying this was to bring order in a congregational worship. He virtually commanded the same thing for those who speak in prophecy (usually in known language) - 1 Cor 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. So you see, the same rule that applies to those who speak in tongues apply to those who don't. This passage is mainly talking about order and not forbiding [eoaple from speaking in tongues.

So tongue is something other people can understand and also interpret so let us all stop decieveing ourselves that the holy spirit is making us say nonsence because thats even blasphemy.K?The holy spirit doesnt work that way.
Aint you contradicting yourself! If tongues is something people can understand, why then does it need to be interpreted? tongues may sound as nonsense to you, and that is okay, Paul confirmed the same thing - 1 Cor. 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
Re: Speaking In Tongues by cybersleek(m): 5:49pm On Jan 25, 2008
Speaking in tongues is to christians, what incantations is to native doctors, though i doubt the authenticity of 90% of the tongues in churches. As i know a lot of peple are just babbling to feel among!
Re: Speaking In Tongues by oghos2k(m): 7:33pm On Jan 25, 2008
What i meant about other people canb understand is that atleast one person in the audience should be able to understand what ure saying so as to be able to interpret to the audience. If u cant get a person who understands ur langauge, the bible is clear as to what u should do. U should keep silent cos if you continue, u do not edify anybody but urself thats if what ure saying even makes sense to you
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Kuns: 8:28pm On Jan 25, 2008
Christians todays actually speak in gibberish. because no one can understand what they are saying.

Acts 2 : 4 - 10 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5: And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6: Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7: And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8: And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9: Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10: Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,"

In the days of the apostles people would hear his or her own language , but today no -one can understand what they (christians) are saying when they are speaking in tougues.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by oghos2k(m): 9:33pm On Jan 25, 2008
thanx kuns
Re: Speaking In Tongues by TayoD1(m): 10:45pm On Jan 25, 2008
@kuns,

I think you need to do some Bible study to understand tongues a bit better. You can't build a doctrine on just a single event. Collate other scriptures about tongues in the New Testament and come back and tell us what you've found. Maybe you should begin by showing us other instances where tongues was spoken with unbelievers able to hear what the believers said apart from what we see in Acts 2.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by dafidixone(m): 4:10pm On Jan 26, 2008
Thye site below will inspire us more.

www.tbm.org/tongues.htm

Shallom smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Kuns: 5:07pm On Jan 26, 2008
Pentecostalists claim that when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you speaking in tongues, or Glossolalia. Glossolalia comes from the Greek word Glossa and it literally means, "tongue."
They claim the "lord" is passing a message through them. I have no qualms with this, if the Holy Spirit is truly bestowed upon them. One may be blessed with the divine gift of speaking in tongues (languages). Yet, Pentecostalists don't speak in other tongues. Instead, they fall out on the floor and start babbling and muttering, while moaning and talking undecipherable mumbo-jumbo.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by TayoD1(m): 5:57pm On Jan 26, 2008
@Kuns,

Pentecostalists claim that when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you speaking in tongues, or Glossolalia. Glossolalia comes from the Greek word Glossa and it literally means, "tongue." They claim the "lord" is passing a message through them. I have no qualms with this, if the Holy Spirit is truly bestowed upon them. One may be blessed with the divine gift of speaking in tongues (languages).
It appears you are gradually changing your stance. In any case, speaking in tongues is for personal edification, asn so your statement in bold is contrary to scripture 1 Cor 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; Interpretation of tongues is necessary when you are passing a message across to the Church, and that is why Paul said you speak by 2 or 3, with interpretation (just like prophecy). The aim is for everything to be done in order.

Yet, Pentecostalists don't speak in other tongues. Instead, they fall out on the floor and start babbling and muttering, while moaning and talking undecipherable mumbo-jumbo.
Well, in Acts 2, we were told that witnesses accused the Disciples of being drunk. Doesn't that imply they probably were falling out on the floor as you described above? isn't this the way a drunken behave?
Re: Speaking In Tongues by oghos2k(m): 4:43pm On Jan 27, 2008
ure so pathetic @Tayo-D
Re: Speaking In Tongues by TayoD1(m): 7:55pm On Jan 27, 2008
@Oghos2k,

oghos2k:

ure so pathetic @Tayo-D
I have come to understand that it takes less intelligence to abuse people than to provide a logical and factually based argument to support one's opinion. The fact that you chose the former is an eloquent testimony to how intellectually bankrupt you are. This forum is for those who want to rub minds with others while learning from each other. Intellectual cretins like you who feel intimidated when confronted with contrary opinion will do well to just watch from the stands.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by oghos2k(m): 8:32pm On Jan 27, 2008
aint u the one gettin really abusive now.it just amazes me how you try to twist everyone's words to suite yourself.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by TayoD1(m): 9:03pm On Jan 27, 2008
@oghos2k,

oghos2k:

aint u the one gettin really abusive now.it just amazes me how you try to twist everyone's words to suite yourself.
Twist people's words? The fact that I responded to you in kind when you called me pathetic (though uncalled for) now makes me a twister of people's words? Is it that you consider the word "pathetic" a compliment? Please try and weigh your words before you you write anything down. After weighing it, think again and consider the implications before you post. It may be that your problem is haste.

I am yet to see you make any argument, line upon line, presept upon precept. Maybe when you do so, I will try and lecture you better on what you do not know about the topic. So far, I have not seen any scholarship in opposition to 'tongues', only biases based on predisposition. I have thrown out a challenge earlier. Please respond to it if you feel you know better. Here is the challenge again: "You can't build a doctrine on just a single event. Collate other scriptures about tongues in the New Testament and come back and tell us what you've found. Maybe you should begin by showing us other instances where tongues was spoken with unbelievers able to hear what the believers said apart from what we see in Acts 2."
Re: Speaking In Tongues by oghos2k(m): 9:33pm On Jan 27, 2008
if it offends u so much. am sorry about it.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by tuneh(f): 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2008
what is all the fuss about?

It's clearly stated in the bible, speaking in tongues is a private thing, meant to edify oneself. If it is done publicly,there should be an interpreter, whereby it becomes prophesying. The fact that something else is going on in most churches doesn't mean it's right.
Whatever you say or however you say it when you're before your Father in secret is of no concern to anyone!

tuneh
Re: Speaking In Tongues by IDINRETE: 4:12am On Jan 29, 2008
rebomaskara yepaarippaaasa, sanabaribbbabba hebariboboboboo, shrooobbooooo ma daplaraga, a lot of paragaaaaaaaaaa rugabaskelleemmaaaa rosbostewjjjdcdijhdvbvgcsjjd
Re: Speaking In Tongues by bolataiwo(m): 11:43am On Jan 29, 2008
@idinrete

i believe u need spiritual cleansing.do u really no the implication of what you said
Re: Speaking In Tongues by IDINRETE: 2:33pm On Jan 29, 2008
bolataiwo:

@idinrete

i believe u need spiritual cleansing.do u really no the implication of what you said

i dont think i need spiritual cleansing, spiritual cleansing is meant for those people that imbibe in that gibberish arrant nonsense called speaking in tongues,  which is a symptom of pyschosis;
D grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

what a balbative called speaking in tongues!

implication of what?, dont come with the threat of hell or eternal damnation and all that crap grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

To All The Muslim Haters:) / Year 2013 Prophetic Release By Bishop David Oyedepo / SHOCKED;10 Blasphemous Quotes On Adeboye,oyedepo & Nigerians By Kemi Olunloyo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.