Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses (8719 Views)

Statistics Of Laspotech 2015 Utme Candidates / Lecturers Promise To End Sexual Harassment & Extortion Of Students On Campuses / LASPOTECH CHAT ROOM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Slimboy94(m): 9:15am On Oct 16, 2012
The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, has ordered the closure of all satellite campuses of the Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu across the state.

This, Fashola said, was in consonance with the directive of the National Board for Technical Education, the supervisory agency for all polytechnics and monotechnics in the country.

Fashola said this during the inauguration of the first phase of LASPOTECH College of Technology Complex on Thursday.

The governor was represented by the Secretary to the Lagos State Government, Mrs. Oluranti Adebule at the occasion.

He added that the decision was also aimed at enhancing quality and sound delivery of technical and vocational education in the state.

But as the announcement was made, most workers including lecturers of the polytechnic protested in hushed tones.

They told our correspondent that the decision would affect the fortunes of the institution as a large percentage of the institution’s internally generated revenue was derived from the banned campuses.

“It is going to affect all of us. Some of us get extra pay for working at the satellite campuses, the polytechnic get a large percentage of its IGR from the programmes while a lot of Nigerians who love higher education but could not get it through the conventional institutions would also be denied of the opportunity offer by the campuses,” the anonymous lecturer said.

He added that what would make it more difficult for the polytechnic was that the state government would not increase allocation to the polytechnic.

The LASPOTECH Rector, Dr. Abdulazeez Lawal, though expressed similar view, he added that the decision would not affect the college in any negative way.

“It’s a well thought out decision. But let me say that the policy is not a state government policy, it is from the NBTE. What the state government is doing is just to say, we are for quality education delivery. We will support it. It’s going to bring the creativity in us and we will ensure that our IGR is not affected negatively as a result of this,” he said.

When asked whether the state government would increase funding to the polytechnic as a result of the action, Adebule was non-committal. She just said the state government had shown enough commitment to the development of education and it would not stop its efforts to uplift education at all levels in the state.

Earlier, Adebule had commended the governing council of the polytechnic led by Prof. Simeon Ajose for their efforts to reposition the institution.

She explained that the first phase of the complex would serve as lecture rooms for students and offices for members of staff.

http://www.punchng.com/education/uproar-as-fashola-orders-scrapping-of-laspotechs-satellite-campuses/
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by RichDad1(m): 9:40am On Oct 16, 2012
LASU External systems was closed, so should Laspotech's.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Onaolamipo: 12:45pm On Oct 16, 2012
Thats what its supposed to be. Emulate YABATECH. Yabatech has no satellite campus. They run pt program at the school

1 Like

Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by slimming: 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
Good.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by DrKnow: 1:00pm On Oct 16, 2012
Kai! so many people will be affected!
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by DrKnow: 1:01pm On Oct 16, 2012
But can someone please and please explain how this will affect the price of . . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by alaoeri: 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2012
Some ppl 'll still blame Tinubu for this.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by alex406(m): 1:07pm On Oct 16, 2012
I dont think this development will go down well with so many people especially the ones that are running PT programmes and the ones living very far from the school main campus. Some measures should be taken to reduce the stress this will cause the students. Between what happens to the students already on these satellite campuses?
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by strangest(m): 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2012
Why collect money for fees from the students in the first place, if they know that they are going to close the schools later.. They should pay back whatever amount that they collected from each student.. Otherwise I will only see the government as a fraudulent one
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by highlandre(m): 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2012
One finds it difficult to know what these lecturers are grumbling for/trying to protect: the students, their own extra pay, or IGR? Truth be told, external campuses are but a mess, and not capable to produce truly sound personnel.

Most of the lecturers in those campuses are usually not qualified to handle teaching at tertiary institution level, and the students, many of whom must have found it hard to gain admission through the direct medium of JAMB, are subjected to over-populated class rooms, thereby reducing their level of concentration and assimilation. It is not usual on these satellite campuses to find students bribing lecturers to get good grades whilst knowledge is not really acquired.

I would however, advise for caution in scrapping these campuses for the sake of the students.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:16pm On Oct 16, 2012
I pity the students in those campuses. Will they be merged with LASPOTECH'S main campus?
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by ChiSun27(m): 1:21pm On Oct 16, 2012
may diz nt b 2ru in Jesus name....I dnt wnt 2 bliv it.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by phemybof(m): 1:24pm On Oct 16, 2012
alaoeri: Some ppl 'll still blame Tinubu for this.
why dey wl blam him?. Ys dey can do so 4 yoruba adage says" ota emi kii pa odu oya. Ilu o fe o, ohun da orin tani yio ba o gbe" d decision is frm nationa bod of technika institutn. Wat is hapeni wt ds naija n yoruba rais is CURSE n TABOO of our past heros who fought 4 independnc. eg. AWOLOWO. 4 great work he did in southwest,we envy him n sent to prism later to death.dat is d cos
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 16, 2012
Is it that they closed/scrapped the satelite campuses or they closed the programmes offered therein as well...while I support scrapping of the satelite campuses, I don't think it will be a good decision to close the programmes offered, because where do the students will start from again, after devoting how many years. A sensible and a democratic government would not do that, they should gradually phase it out if the programmes are not credible, buh I will suggest improving the standard of the education being offered...presently I work with my degree certificate that I got through a part time programme of a university, and I was employed on merit after I was able to defenf my certificate before my employers. The whole nigerian educational system should be overhauled and not the pt/satelite programmes alone..no higher instituion in nigeria can survive without running a parttime programmes, even their lecturers earn extra pay through all this pt programmes. The LASG should have a rethink on this, buh I don't think our governor would be aware of this. Thanks
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by udemzyudex(m): 1:29pm On Oct 16, 2012
GOD GO DEY PUNISH THAT YEYE MAN...

WETIN HIM DEY FEEL LIKE?
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Agimor(m): 1:37pm On Oct 16, 2012
DrKnow: But can someone please and please explain how this will affect the price of . . . . lipsrsealed
perhaps you may ask how those areas that have been ravage by flood, affected the price of Garri.hiss
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Onaolamipo: 1:51pm On Oct 16, 2012
Hayjaycity: Is it that they closed/scrapped the satelite campuses or they closed the programmes offered therein as well...while I support scrapping of the satelite campuses, I don't think it will be a good decision to close the programmes offered, because where do the students will start from again, after devoting how many years. A sensible and a democratic government would not do that, they should gradually phase it out if the programmes are not credible, buh I will suggest improving the standard of the education being offered...presently I work with my degree certificate that I got through a part time programme of a university, and I was employed on merit after I was able to defenf my certificate before my employers. The whole nigerian educational system should be overhauled and not the pt/satelite programmes alone..no higher instituion in nigeria can survive without running a parttime programmes, even their lecturers earn extra pay through all this pt programmes. The LASG should have a rethink on this, buh I don't think our governor would be aware of this. Thanks
Gov did nt scrapped pt program but only satellite campus. Pt program supposed to be at d main campus. Product of d satellite campus cannot be compared with product of d main campus. Come to Yabatech at every weekend and see d beauty of pt program.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by zangiff(m): 1:56pm On Oct 16, 2012
Ia dat d next thing on his agenda? No news about reduction in school fees but banning
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by acidtalk: 1:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
If we had the number of these satellite campuses as Vocational and Skills acquisition centers, Lagos will definitely be the BIGGEST Economical powerhouse in the whole of Africa.

unemployment will be drastically reduced and the state government will have more LEGAL Internally Generated Tax.

Enough of all this make shift Primary schools affiliated to LASU and LASPOTECH.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 16, 2012
Onaolamipo: Gov did nt scrapped pt program but only satellite campus. Pt program supposed to be at d main campus. Product of d satellite campus cannot be compared with product of d main campus. Come to Yabatech at every weekend and see d beauty of pt program.

Well, I hope so, coz mine was also in the school main campus, dats why I said, I support closing the satelite campuses, but not the school part time programmes. You are very right with what u said
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Olumi4eva: 2:11pm On Oct 16, 2012
i think is 4 d best.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Booty4me: 2:12pm On Oct 16, 2012
Hmmm. Make i dey see first. Wel me don grad xo e no affect me
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by GboyegaD(m): 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2012
Is this how to run government? I wonder if Nigeria can ever get better with this kind of a leader.
If the program was initally approved by the regulating body and the board, then there should be some better ways to go about it. i truly do not support all these satelite campus program however, I would have expected him to stop them from admiting new student and notifying the general public that henceforth, people should desist from applying to satelite campus program as the government is about putting an end to satelite campuses. He should consider the value of time and money the students in those program has invested and he shouldn't because of his highhandedness destroy the future of our youths.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by maclatunji: 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2012
From my personal research, Laspotech has the highest student population of any tertiary institution in Nigeria with the overwhelming majority being part-time students.

We have a big drama on our hands here.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Ninilowo(m): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2012
DrKnow: But can someone please and please explain how this will affect the price of . . . . lipsrsealed
LOADING...................................................... cheesy
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by maclatunji: 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2012
acidtalk: If we had the number of these satellite campuses as Vocational and Skills acquisition centers, Lagos will definitely be the BIGGEST Economical powerhouse in the whole of Africa.

unemployment will be drastically reduced and the state government will have more LEGAL Internally Generated Tax.

Enough of all this make shift Primary schools affiliated to LASU and LASPOTECH.

I smell a rat with this policy of Lagos State Government. However, let us wait for it to be properly defined.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by Chanchit: 2:25pm On Oct 16, 2012
This Fashola is nothing but bad news. With this his actions, he will just make ACN loose some states in SW. Cos I'm not even sure I can vote for ACN again.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by AjCityOne: 3:10pm On Oct 16, 2012
This Fashola is nothing but bad news. With this his actions, he will just make ACN loose some states in SW. Cos I'm not even sure I can vote for ACN again.

Bad news for you because u lack progressive mind. I wondered how much you are getting paid by the PDP to come up with this crap. If Lagos no gree u stay go back to your village.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by chinig(m): 3:12pm On Oct 16, 2012
Wat ll be †ђξ outcome of those running a programme in those satellite campuses already?
Will they be allowed to finish their prog or be moved to the main campus.

Have a frd who ώɪ̣̝̇ι̥ι be rounding up his programme next year.wat can he do,cos he has spend a lot of time and money.
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by iwanchop(m): 3:13pm On Oct 16, 2012
Should life be only about d price of .....?Mtcheeew
Re: Fashola Orders Scrapping Of Laspotech’s Satellite Campuses by kaylight12(m): 3:45pm On Oct 16, 2012
Am a graduate of laspotech F/T and privilege to be the president of my dept which gives me the opportunity to knw hw d sch is run,i was made to understand dat d state govt did nt adequately finance d sch and dis has result to increasement in sch fees,creation of annexses .Though i will support d closure of all these annexses if govt will increase funding of d sch for higher and qualitative education.

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNILAG Student Flaunts Her Sexy Body In New Photos / 12 Things You Should Know About The JAMB Mock Exam / Kaduna Moves To Reform Almajiri Schools, Teachers To Be Awarded NCE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.