Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan (5383 Views)

5 Questions Nigerians Want Amanpour To Ask Buhari / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan / Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 17, 2012
AHEAD of the review of the 1999 Constitution, President Goodluck Jonathan vowed, yesterday, that he will abide by the wishes and desires of the people of Nigeria.

Speaking during the celebration of former Vice President Alex Ekwueme's 80th birthday at an international colloquium organised in his honour, Jonathan noted that the challenge before the nation was for Nigerians to agree to commit themselves to the development, growth and survival of Nigeria.

The event which had as its theme, "Nigerian Federalism: Building on the Ekwueme Legacy," took place at the Thisday Dome, Abuja.

The President who spoke through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, however, described Ekwueme as a bridge-builder, adding that he was the architect of Nigeria's democracy, father of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP and a great star of our time.

Jonathan who also said Ekwueme was a clean personality that couldnot be stained by politicians, stressed that he came out of office poorer than he was before he became the nation's number two citizen from 1979-1983.

The president urged Nigerians to be patriotic and support the country, adding: "I have no personal opinion on how Nigeria will be structured, but I will abide by what Nigerians want.

Gowon calls for national confab

Chairman of the occasion and former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, who poured encomiums on Ekwueme, however, called for a national conference where the issues affecting Nigeria could be discussed rather than a sovereign conference.

Six political zones split politicians

Meanwhile, the issue of six political zones and devolution of powers to the states and regions came into focus during the colloquium with politicians, leaders, elders and stakeholders holding divergent views ranging from the need to amend the constitution and expansion of the amendment committee.

Value change more important for law and order-Fashola

Setting the tone for the discussions, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, who noted his disagreement that constitution amendment was sine qua non to development, stressed that value change was more important for law and order, economic, political, social development than constitution amendment.

Fashola said: "What is under consideration is whether a constitution amendment is really what we want. What lies at the heart of the clamour is the desire for a better life, not really a better document. Nigerians want to pay school fees, feed themselves and work. The Constitution is just an agreement on how we relate to one another.

"Its effectiveness depends on our sincerity to honour agreement. We don't have electoral malpractices, because the constitution is bad; our roads are bad for motorists not because the constitution is bad. The crash of the stock exchange isn't because the constitution is bad. Those things that frustrate our people cannot be put at the doorstep of the Constitution. They lie in our diminishing values."

Also speaking, Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State who described the agreement for geo- political zones as faulty, especially on the area of marginalization, said if there must be equity, all the entities must be treated equally.

Abolish 36 states-Clark

Also speaking, former Federal Commissioner for Information and Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, who advised that the present 36 states must be abolished and replaced with six geo-political zones, said they would serve as federating units.

He said: "We need a national conference to discuss. Our constitution is a military instrument given to us by the military. I disagree with the Lagos State governor on the constitution amendment. We need a document that would make Nigerians equal. The six zones suggested by Alex Ekwueme should be the federating zones of this country. No region should hold another region down."

Also in his contribution, former Minister of Finance, Mallam Adamu Ciroma, who opposed including geo-political zones in the constitution, stressed that since the states were not working, having the zones will also not work, just as he stressed that there was the need for the devolution of powers from the federal level to the states.

Former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Solomon Lar, described the centre as too powerful, calling for the devolution of powers to the states, even as he urged Nigerians to be patriotic. He said the Federal Government had made the states look like local government councils.

On his part, former Minister of Police Affairs, General David Jemibewon, stressed the need for Nigeria to start the process from somewhere.

In his contribution, former governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Victor Attah, who disagreed with Governor Peter Obi on the role on National Assembly on the constitution amendment, however urged the lawmakers to hands off constitution amendment as that was not what they were voted in office to do. He said the amendment of the constitution was the responsibility of Nigerians and not that of the National Assembly.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201210170768.html
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 12:10pm On Oct 17, 2012
I agree that we should go back to regionalism but i won't support that the 36 states should be abolished as suggested by Chief Edwin Clark. Dissolving states will also give some groups the power to lord over others.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by LoaditeDOTcom: 12:21pm On Oct 17, 2012
Na So we de hear
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by LoaditeDOTcom: 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva: I agree that we should go back to regionalism but i won't support that the 36 states should be abolished as suggested by Chief Edwin Clark. Dissolving states will also give some groups the power to lord over others.
I no surport u o.... it would cause futher disunity 4 us
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Callotti: 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
See this "Jo BOy" wey dem manage dash governorship and presidency on account of extreme moo-mooism.
I wish 2019 was around the corner reaaaaaaaaaaaal soon.
I TAYA FOR THIS DUDE. . . .kai!!! cry
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by sunkoye: 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
see failure from start....we nigerians dont know wat we want. everyone is selfish. gaskia!

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by bright007(f): 12:25pm On Oct 17, 2012
ok,next news
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by hydoo(m): 12:26pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mtss,,keep Quit,,d most worst presido naija ever had

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by LoaditeDOTcom: 12:27pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva: I agree that we should go back to regionalism but i won't support that the 36 states should be abolished as suggested by Chief Edwin Clark. Dissolving states will also give some groups the power to lord over others.
U AGREE BUT DNT you wount Suport
Contradiction of Personal Statement of Urs na
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by TimAllen: 12:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
I thought he didn't give a dam
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Ozonna(m): 12:29pm On Oct 17, 2012
Setting the tone for the discussions, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, who noted his disagreement that constitution amendment was sine qua non to development, stressed that value change was more important for law and order, economic, political, social development than constitution amendment.

Fashola said: "What is under consideration is whether a constitution amendment is really what we want. What lies at the heart of the clamour is the desire for a better life, not really a better document. Nigerians want to pay school fees, feed themselves and work. The Constitution is just an agreement on how we relate to one another.

"Its effectiveness depends on our sincerity to honour agreement. We don't have electoral malpractices, because the constitution is bad; our roads are bad for motorists not because the constitution is bad. The crash of the stock exchange isn't because the constitution is bad. Those things that frustrate our people cannot be put at the doorstep of the Constitution. They lie in our diminishing values."

Fashola is a professional Carpenter, hitting the nail @ the head with reckless abandon.

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 12:29pm On Oct 17, 2012
LoaditeDOTcom: U AGREE BUT DNT you wount Suport
Contradiction of Personal Statement of Urs na
The states can still remain under their various regions.
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by omenka(m): 12:29pm On Oct 17, 2012
First time ever, the octagenerian made sense..
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 17, 2012
So Yakubu Gowon still get mouth to talk abi? He became a Dumbfuck about the Bakassi issue and didn't utter a word.He couldn't even defend himself! All these silly old cargoes won't stop amazing me! undecided
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Dee60: 12:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
There is no perfect constitution. Let us stop talking and start working! We do not need a better document but a better life (quoting Fashola, 2012.

Who will sit down in that so called conference or sovereign conference? The same wasteful and wasted wicked political class? I bet you, they will just award money to themselves, TALK TALK for six months and travel abroad afterwards to buy new houses!

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by safarigirl(f): 12:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
What do you expect him to say? Of course he'll say what we want to hear and DO what HE WANTS to do
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by logica(m): 12:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ohh. So you support the creation of Gowon eh?
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 12:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
logica: Ohh. So you support the creation of Gowon eh?
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 17, 2012

How can achieve regionalism without the dissolution of the states?

The states should be dissolved to create cities/municipals with mayors along the different subgoups...

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Abbott(m): 12:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
Babatunde Raji Fashola is very much on point. What we need is a re-awakening of our value system. Imagine a Nigeria where hard work, honesty, dilligence, intelligence, friendliness, tolerance and creativity is the norm. Just imagine!

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by logica(m): 12:43pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva:
Check your history books. Who was the first to create states?
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
Meanwhile some ignorant dolts are still clamouring for new states.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by immortalvoices(m): 12:49pm On Oct 17, 2012
as far as d constitution does not entail u and ur executive sir foregoing half of ur allowances which ar more than ur salaries {only in nigeria} is dedicated to help the ongoing problem in this country.

Ur exellency sir? u wud abide by it as far as all d money wasted on it does not affect ur personer finances hmmm, i hear voices....saying "WHO IS FOOLING WHO"
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fashola is right, the only way forward is sincere work. If you read this article carefully you did see that, all these leaders want is to manipulate the constitution so they can always benefit from nigeria's resources ; They want free meal.
Not until every, tribe, religion, region,tongue take it destiny in it hands, no constitutional review or conference will take us to promise land.

Luxemburg is a country of about 500k plus people, but have the highest standard of living in the world. Their only natural resource is people, which transform to the best banking institutions in the world. Income per person, $80k plus

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
shymexx:

How can achieve regionalism without the dissolution of the states?

The states should be dissolved to create cities/municipals with mayors along the different subgoups...
You're on point. I wasn't really advocating that the states should remain. Id didn't just want the regions to be the closest government can be to the ordinary Nigerians.
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 12:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
HNosegbe: Meanwhile some ignorant dolts are still clamouring for new states.
I don't think it's right to call them dolts for as long as states remain, people will always clamor for theirs. If there were no states, people will not be clamoring for it. It's as simple as that.
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 12:54pm On Oct 17, 2012
logica: Check your history books. Who was the first to create states?
And what has that got to do with anything?
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by logica(m): 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva:
And what has that got to do with anything?
Quite a lot. smiley How about we go back to status quo: Which was what we had before Ironsi came along with Decree 34? smiley
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by hollypagan: 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
Imagine ideots like( go one)who owns oil blocks dnt want nigeria to have sovereign conference even his ppl is being killed by fulani hersmen ,
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by kennytidistar(m): 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
fashola what type of development are you talking about? is it the one i have to pay 200 when ever i'm going to work in the morning and another when i return as togate fee? is federal allocations and tax revenue not enough to construct roads? or which school fee are you talking about is it the lasu you made unaffordable to the poor? what type of law are you talking about is it not the law you use to impoverish lagosians, what type of economy are you talking about how many lagos pay as they earn is you tax level no greater that what they can afford? well that is your say but not you action which means you are practicing "HYPOCRACY"

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by ijigbamigb(m): 1:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
I go with the idea with Mr. Fashola.
Our value system is bad. We don't just need a new document but a better life, a better system that will produce better leaders. That will re-instill the spirit of nationalism into our leaders, that will honor hard work and relegate our desire for less work, much pay. But a better value system can only be achieve where the political system is functional, were there are institutions and structures that adequately performs their functions. Were there are laws and arrangements that supports progress.
Re: Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2012
Declare your assets fool that is one of those things the constitution require of you.

Start to give a damn to masses feeling that is another thing the constitution require of you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers Students Walkout On Ameachi / Breaking Mews: Prof Jega Sacks Imo Rec Dr Adar. / SDP Retains Duke’s Name With INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.