Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Have A Question For Dawkins? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Have A Question For Dawkins? (2222 Views)

Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response / "Religion Has No Place In The 21st Century"-Cambridge Debate-Dawkins vs.Williams / An Interview Of Richard Dawkins By Ben Stein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 12:59am On Oct 19, 2012
You won't get any replies till next week though, and your question has to be moded up

http://interviews.slashdot.org/story/12/10/18/1329231/ask-richard-dawkins-about-evolution-religion-and-science-education?sbsrc=md

So yeah, probably won't get an answer. But the discussions on the page are nice
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 19, 2012
Aye... atheists do not have the mental capacity to answer questions on their own alleged personal beliefs. Rather they run around letting Dawkins do the thinking for them... all they do is regurgitate his ideas then preen around as if it was their own.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 5:54am On Oct 19, 2012
davidylan: Aye... atheists do not have the mental capacity to answer questions on their own alleged personal beliefs. Rather they run around letting Dawkins do the thinking for them... all they do is regurgitate his ideas then preen around as if it was their own.

davidylan?!

davidylan, dyla david landi lin dave?
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by CrazyMan(m): 6:06am On Oct 19, 2012
Wiegraf is everything ok?
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by plaetton: 6:12am On Oct 19, 2012
davidylan: Aye... atheists do not have the mental capacity to answer questions on their own alleged personal beliefs. Rather they run around letting Dawkins do the thinking for them... all they do is regurgitate his ideas then preen around as if it was their own.

Most atheists, like myself, have never read any works of Dawkins.
Most atheists were people who had inner doubts and stirrings about the religious ideas and beliefs that they were forced-fed from infancy.

Therefore works by Dawkins and his kind only help budding atheists to explore, and at times, bring them closer to validating their doubts and inner stirrings.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 6:36am On Oct 19, 2012
CrazyMan: Wiegraf is everything ok?
I'm practicing my davidylan is all.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 19, 2012
plaetton:

Most atheists were people who had inner doubts and stirrings about the religious ideas and beliefs that they were forced-fed from infancy.

Therefore works by Dawkins and his kind only help budding atheists to explore, and at times, bring them closer to validating their doubts and inner stirrings.

i.e. you mean many atheists really have no opinion of their own but need to validate themselves by regurgitating from Dawkins? Didnt i just say the same thing above? grin
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by MrAnony1(m): 4:33pm On Oct 19, 2012
davidylan:

i.e. you mean many atheists really have no opinion of their own but need to validate themselves by regurgitating from Dawkins? Didnt i just say the same thing above? grin

Lol, even funnier is this part.

plaetton:

Notice the words he is using "force-fed" and "validating their doubts"

how does one validate a doubt? last I heard, it was beliefs that needed strengthening.

another funny phrase is "force-fed". As if it is the usual practice for parents to lay out options for their babies to choose which parental style best suits them.

Lol, some people and their reasoning sef...
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 4:37pm On Oct 19, 2012
I suppose dawkins is doing something right, the haters seem to be attracted...
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by MrAnony1(m): 4:42pm On Oct 19, 2012
wiegraf: I suppose dawkins is doing something right, the haters seem to be attracted...
Lol, of course since haters are now the yardstick of rightness. . . . . Bin Laden was equally doing something right. The haters were attracted too.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 4:46pm On Oct 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, of course since haters are now the yardstick of rightness. . . . . Bin Laden was equally doing something right. The haters were attracted too.

You get it, yes. From his pov the west were haters
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by MrAnony1(m): 4:50pm On Oct 19, 2012
wiegraf:

You get it, yes. From his pov the west were haters
Good for you then.

Your point-of-view based rightness system is pretty interesting by the way
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 5:00pm On Oct 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Good for you then.

Your point-of-view based rightness system is pretty interesting

Thank you for the 'interesting' compliment, though who said it was a rightness based system? The good for me should be good for you for understanding it with ease (it's not nuclear physics, but still).

To bore you some more, just like freedom loving human rights hippies were haters to bin laden, davidylans like davidylan (who is not a troll, because he believes what he says and isn't being disingenuous just to frustrate for lulz, so we'll just call his unique condition davidylan), and serial rapists of logic like you are haters. So, from dawkins pov, haters (davidylans and logic rapers) show up, he must be doing something right.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by MrAnony1(m): 5:05pm On Oct 19, 2012
wiegraf:

Thank you for the 'interesting' compliment, though who said it was a rightness based system? The good for me should be good for you for understanding it with ease (it's not nuclear physics, but still).

To bore you some more, just like freedom loving human rights hippies were haters to bin laden, davidylans like davidylan (who is not a troll, because he believes what he says and isn't being disingenuous just to frustrate for lulz, so we'll just call his unique condition davidylan), and serial rapists of logic like you are haters. So, from dawkins pov, haters (davidylans and logic rapers) show up, he must be doing something right.
Lol, again good for you.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Image123(m): 9:42pm On Oct 19, 2012
ask Dawkins questions? i no get that kain time. maybe the thread is for his fans sha.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 10:12pm On Oct 19, 2012
Image123: ask Dawkins questions? i no get that kain time. maybe the thread is for his fans sha.
No, I'm thinking it was made specially for you...
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:

how does one validate a doubt? last I heard, it was beliefs that needed strengthening.

another funny phrase is "force-fed". As if it is the usual practice for parents to lay out options for their babies to choose which parental style best suits them.

Roaring with laughter grin grin grin

Na dem de form intellectual pass ni cheesy
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Roaring with laughter grin grin grin

Na dem de form intellectual pass ni cheesy

You know that u aint an intellectual
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2012
Agh, I'll bite just to be rid of all the gloating.
Mr_Anony:

A doubt is a belief, isn't that obvious? Now you blatantly trolling.
I dislike the word belief, you'll toss it in with faith.

Mr_Anony:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination

"Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine).[1] It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.[2] As such the term may be used pejoratively, often in the context of education, political opinions, theology or religious dogma. The term is closely linked to socialization; in common discourse, indoctrination is often associated with negative connotations, while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning."

Look up references if you think wiki unreliable
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

You know that u aint an intellectual

lol. Says the guy who thinks that offspring are supersets of their parents grin
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Image123(m): 11:00pm On Oct 19, 2012
wiegraf:
No, I'm thinking it was made specially for you...
for one who thinks there is no God, you're not in good position to further thinking.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 11:13pm On Oct 19, 2012
Image123:
for one who thinks there is no God, you're not in good position to further thinking.
Did you spend hours 'thinking' that up?
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Image123(m): 11:54pm On Oct 19, 2012
wiegraf:
Did you spend hours 'thinking' that up?
you've run out of what to say already. this ain't instant messaging or some chat app
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 12:04am On Oct 20, 2012
Image123:
you've run out of what to say already. this ain't instant messaging or some chat app
Bros, if you don't have anything of value to add, you could always shut up.
You probably waltzed in because you're pissed I inferred you're delusional bigoted slowpoke elsewhere. This is all very true and it be best you came to accept it and moved on with your life. Note you added absolutely nothing of value to this thread. Of course it's not for you if you aren't interested, a 5 year old could tell you that.
So, do you have anything of value to contribute?
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:

lol no mind am. Let him stay there pretending to be "intellectual" when all he is doing is regurgitating websites from his atheist masters here.

1. the "force-fed" idea is nonsense. Is wiegraf now claiming he was also "force-fed" his language, traditional customs, mannerisms? All those things he learned from his parents have now become "indoctrination"? What should parents now do? Just have kids and let them grow like a blank state?

2. You may be able to validate a doubt but it is interesting to note that atheists themselves are NOT SURE of their own feelings about God but need to rely heavily on other atheists to feel confident they are making the right decision. If indeed their thoughts on religion was built solely on "facts" or "reason" as they continuously bleat then why do they need Dawkins to validate their doubts?
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:33am On Oct 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:

[b]how does one validate a doubt? last I heard, it was beliefs that needed strengthening.

[/b]another funny phrase is "force-fed". As if it is the usual practice for parents to lay out options for their babies to choose which parental style best suits them.

Goodness me! The bolded is one of the most m0r0nic things I've read on here. That's the thing about pretentious glib remarks that try too hard to show you're clever when you only string up yourself and dig yourself into a hole. Anyone with a basic grasp of English would find the bolded pretty hilarious. Must try harder next time, sunshine.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

lol. Says the guy who thinks that offspring are supersets of their parents grin

As usual, the anti-intellectual makes a straw man argument. I never one day suggested what you just stated.

Worse off, the argument shows his own ignorance about basic mathematic principles.

If A is a set of my children's ancestors

and B is a set of my ancestors,

My children's set of ancestors becomes a superset of my ancestors

Please, everyone Ihedinobi should be classified as an anti-intellectual henceforth unless he apologizes to my superior intellect. wink
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:44am On Oct 20, 2012

I hate to break it to you sunshine but for centuries, there have been people with the independence of thought to reject claims of a big daddy or daddies in the sky. Long before the renaissance, long before Darwin and centuries before Dawkins. The fact you're rather slow on the uptake and incapable of independent thought other than what you've been brainwashed with shouldn't be applicable to other rational human beings.

2 Likes

Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Image123(m): 1:07am On Oct 20, 2012
wiegraf:
Bros, if you don't have anything of value to add, you could always shut up.
You probably waltzed in because you're pissed I inferred you're delusional bigoted slowpoke elsewhere. This is all very true and it be best you came to accept it and moved on with your life. Note you added absolutely nothing of value to this thread. Of course it's not for you if you aren't interested, a 5 year old could tell you that.
So, do you have anything of value to contribute?
i don't even recall your saying such unpleasant words about me, perhaps my nature got the better of me. Hope your sorry soul didn't record it in a diary? like i earlier said, you don't qualify for the thinking business. trust me, i give you v.valuable advise.
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 1:25am On Oct 20, 2012
Daviddylan?!

dyladadi landi david lan?!

Ok, for now, I'll indulge you, not sure why though..

davidylan:
lol no mind am. Let him stay there pretending to be "intellectual" when all he is doing is regurgitating websites from his atheist masters here.
Irrelevant, but just want to note that someone 'regurgitating websites from his atheist masters' would probably be better off than someone 'regurgitating dogma from his middle-eastern shepherd masters that lived 2000 ago'. I've personally not seen any atheists claiming to be intellectuals before, you could point them out if you will. I do remember a certain someone talking about purchasing a PHD or something. Not sure if he's bragged about his 'intellectuality' though as I usually ignore his comments, but said person is a theist. It's not our fault if we have a reputation for being erudite (and I personally don't even have a large knowledgebase, eg reading bible etc, I just go with common sense and logic for the most part, so I don't qualify as erudite as far as religion is concerned).

davidylan:
1. the "force-fed" idea is nonsense. Is wiegraf now claiming he was also "force-fed" his language, traditional customs, mannerisms? All those things he learned from his parents have now become "indoctrination"? What should parents now do? Just have kids and let them grow like a blank state?
Language and mannerisms are not doctrine, certain customs may be. What do you mean by mannerisms anyway? Regardless, if a parent pushes his favored doctrine on a child and the child is "expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned", then the child is being indoctrinated. With religion it's not just parents though, but communities/society as well, especially in the 3rd world.

davidylan:
2. You may be able to validate a doubt but it is interesting to note that atheists themselves are NOT SURE of their own feelings about God but need to rely heavily on other atheists to feel confident they are making the right decision. If indeed their thoughts on religion was built solely on "facts" or "reason" as they continuously bleat then why do they need Dawkins to validate their doubts?

The bolded, what do feelings have to do with anything? Anyways, most atheists are very sure about facts related to the existence of gods, there's absolutely no evidence to support the notion and most of philosophy supporting it is risible, gods don't exist. Similar to how (I hope) you don't believe in fairies.
You also seem to think that collaboration is a bad thing. How could a scientist look one in the eye and say that? Isn't that deeply ingrained into the scientific method? Form a hypothesis, test and confirm it objectively, find out what the rest of the community thinks about it? SMH
If someone has been bred in a theistic environment, indoctrinated into some faith or the other and living in said environment, the fact that he has been taught not to question doctrine will come into play if the person starts having doubts. The environment the person might be in may not have access to knowledge related to his beliefs- or disbeliefs, as well. So, if a person starts to suspect something is amiss, amidst the current that is society dragging him back into religious folly, said person might require some knowledge to aid in clearly shaping his world view. It's learning new stuff, for a scientist to suggest learning new stuff is a bad thing is frankly unheard of.
Your issue here also seems to be feeling vs thinking. Lots of people simply prefer dealing with fact rather than feelings. They aren't forcing you to do things their way (probably), so deal with it.

On a personal note I didn't get much from Dawkins as well, but it was very well written, he has a nice clear thinking mind. It helped me solidify my views as well as discover the views of other atheists, and theists too actually. Hitchen's I didn't get to chapter 3, as I was gaining nothing of value from him, except maybe lists of facts, not how stuff works per say. Sam Harris on the other actually pointed out stuff I had not noticed on my own. blah blah blah
Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by wiegraf: 1:25am On Oct 20, 2012
Image123:
i don't even recall your saying such unpleasant words about me, perhaps my nature got the better of me. Hope your sorry soul didn't record it in a diary? like i earlier said, you don't qualify for the thinking business. trust me, i give you v.valuable advise.

They aren't unpleasant eediot, they are fact

1 Like

Re: Have A Question For Dawkins? by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 20, 2012
*just passing*

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Benefits Of Long Prayer / Why Do Some Churches Shout "Amen! Amen! Amen! Fire!"? / Esu [elegba / Eleggua] Extreme Occult Powers Mysterious Statue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.