Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] (4062 Views)

Nigerian Mobile Version Of Twitter Launched - Tweetnigeria.com / Weather Nigeria: First Local Weather App / Does Any Of Nigerian Mobile Operators Have Sms Api ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 5:11am On Oct 19, 2012
http://Weather9ja.com is local weather mobile site that helps nigerians find
local weather conditons and a 4day Weather forecast for their current city
or any of the 36 states in the country

*Features*

---> can automatically finds your location and get weather conditions [find
me button]

---> 4 day weather forecast for any city in Nigeria

--> Search weather for any city in the Africa + 4Day forecast

Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by yawatide(f): 5:20pm On Oct 19, 2012
1) Website may be vulnerable: http://weather9ja.com/view.php?name='

2) If this is for Nigeria, then you might want to detect this in advance and offer a message for non-Nigerian cities: I am not in Nigeria, but I did click on "find me (which it did)" but I got totally off weather conditions (I even compared to weather.com)

3) For the foreigners/tourists/visitors in Nigeria, maybe you offer a Fahrenheit-to-Celsius conversion ability

4) General statement: Only Nigerians (and the few who know about us) know about "naija" and "9ja". IMHO, using either of the slangs as part of a url for a site of this nature is not professional. A url like weathernigeria.com looks and sounds way better, and I am sure you would agree wink

Good job though!
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by yawatide(f): 5:48pm On Oct 19, 2012
Also, the "forecast" button doesn't seem to be working. I tried this on my phone, tablet and on my desktop
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 9:34pm On Oct 19, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
1) Website may be vulnerable: http://weather9ja.com/view.php?name='

2) If this is for Nigeria, then you might want to detect this in advance and offer a message for non-Nigerian cities: I am not in Nigeria, but I did click on "find me (which it did)" but I got totally off weather conditions (I even compared to weather.com)

3) For the foreigners/tourists/visitors in Nigeria, maybe you offer a Fahrenheit-to-Celsius conversion ability

4) General statement: Only Nigerians (and the few who know about us) know about "naija" and "9ja". IMHO, using either of the slangs as part of a url for a site of this nature is not professional. A url like weathernigeria.com looks and sounds way better, and I am sure you would agree wink

Good job though!

1] Dnt worry its the 21st century, try running all your sql injections on it...they wnt work grin

2]The url weathernigeria.com has bin taken ....d only reasonable alternative left was what we took

3]The website was designed to spit accurate results for nigerian and african cities, so why would you expect it to work for some random location outside africa....its like trying to use a Glo sim card in Australia grin

4]Thanks we would def work on the Fahrenheit-to-Celsius shit
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 9:35pm On Oct 19, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
Also, the "forecast" button doesn't seem to be working. I tried this on my phone, tablet and on my desktop
Thanks mam we would certainly fix that cheesy
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by kanywoods: 9:57pm On Oct 19, 2012
Great Job!!... i love the site!!.....You guys need to let more Nigerians hear about the site, maybe frontpage or something...again great job cool
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by larrypage: 10:15pm On Oct 19, 2012
Brilliant!!.....we need more innovations like this!!....you guys should beg 'Mukina' to put it on the frontpage grin ,,,btw can it forecast floods ?
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 10:17pm On Oct 19, 2012
larrypage: Brilliant!!.....we need more innovations like this!!....you guys should beg 'Mukina' to put it on the frontpage grin ,,,btw can it forecast floods ?

We hope to add the feature to predict floods very soon..thanks
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by yawatide(f): 2:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
hmmm, oga OP, as a programmer you should know to take care of all conditions. If you are strictly for african and nigerian markets, then you have to assume that some dumb guy or gal (like me) will want to search for areas not in your market. You then have to account for this in your code. It is only good programming practice.

Again, I would strongly suggest that you first detect where the user is coming from and if not in your target audience area, you give them a kind message telling them why they can't use the site then offer a button to proceed to the actual site. Heck! You could even provide a "cancel" button which might take them to another portion of your site where you could market them something.

Again, merely a suggestion. It's a good site, don't get me wrong. Am just saying it could be better, programmatically speaking.

#justSaying

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by Slyr0x: 8:49pm On Oct 20, 2012
larrypage: Brilliant!!.....we need more innovations like this!!....you guys should beg 'Mukina' to put it on the frontpage grin ,,,btw can it forecast floods ?

This same topic was pushed to the homepage here https://www.nairaland.com/1061964/weather-nigeria-first-local-weather

I'm surprised OP had to repost it
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by larrypage: 4:38am On Oct 21, 2012
Slyr0x:

This same topic was pushed to the homepage here https://www.nairaland.com/1061964/weather-nigeria-first-local-weather

I'm surprised OP had to repost it

err..its not......the one that was pushed to the Homepage was a mobile app....this one is a mobile site..in the world of computing there is a huge diffrence
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by Slyr0x: 10:11am On Oct 21, 2012
larrypage:

err..its not......the one that was pushed to the Homepage was a mobile app....this one is a mobile site..in the world of computing there is a huge diffrence

Pardon my Naïveté. .Never knew they had different end goals. .
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by mrkels(m): 6:35am On Oct 22, 2012
Me. I don't understand this ur readings oh, how can all the cities read the same thing in terms of temperature and then some have 94% chance of rain while another has 53%, at the same temp! Is it possible? No!
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 7:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
mrkels: Me. I don't understand this ur readings oh, how can all the cities read the same thing in terms of temperature and then some have 94% chance of rain while another has 53%, at the same temp! Is it possible? No!

First of all they are not our readings...they are from internatiobnal metrological centres..so they are very correct....and the temprature has nothing to do with the chance of rain...the chance of rain is determined mainly by the amount of Humidity in the atmosphere...while temprature is d degree of hotness or coldness of a place..
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 11:47am On Oct 25, 2012
mrkels: Me. I don't understand this ur readings oh, how can all the cities read the same thing in terms of temperature and then some have 94% chance of rain while another has 53%, at the same temp! Is it possible? No!

iSOK!!
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by ayee001: 3:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
If we want forecasts, let's consult the 'oracles'.
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by otokx(m): 3:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
does the forecast include the villages?
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by Kslib(m): 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
@op.may GOD bless you..Atleast now i can dry my Garr! outside without the fear of it getting wet..
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by DaWhiz: 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
No offence, but a typical smartphone does this so easily... #justSaying
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 3:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
DaWhiz: No offence, but a typical smartphone does this so easily... #justSaying
TRue..but how many Nigerian have a smartphone? Less than 10%....and thatz why we made this so that every Nigerian can know what their tommorow HOLDs!!
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 30, 2012
do you have a mobile App in the works?

Great job by the way.

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by ibitomisi: 4:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
It's don't work on my Nokia c3
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by ghettodreamz(m): 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
I think it's a good site. BTW, it doesn't work for only Africa, I just tried the find me button and it does found my location and the weather forecast was current and correlated with what I got from Google. It look pretty simple but there is always room for improvement, it's a good attempt/site anyway.

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by tonym1(m): 4:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
LOOKS GOOD AND WILL PREFER IT AS A MOBILE APP

BUT WELL DONE GUYS

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 4:42pm On Oct 30, 2012
ibitomisi: It's don't work on my Nokia c3
try accessing the site tru opera mini...thanks
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by Yinkay: 5:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
Gud job guys.....but Asaba is not listed and when searched,it keeps on loading Addis Ababa..
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by stepestus(m): 5:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
Thumbs up Donnie, I guess you know who is talking/typing
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
stepestus: Thumbs up Donnie, I guess you know who is talking/typing
OF COS I DO!!..... cool
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
Yinkay: Gud job guys.....but Asaba is not listed and when searched,it keeps on loading Addis Ababa..
we are working on including all Nigerian cities..hanks and pls dnt forget to Bookmark the site cool
Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
donniemc:

1] Dnt worry its the 21st century, try running all your sql injections on it...they wnt work grin

2]The url weathernigeria.com has bin taken ....d only reasonable alternative left was what we took

3]The website was designed to spit accurate results for nigerian and african cities, so why would you expect it to work for some random location outside africa....its like trying to use a Glo sim card in Australia grin

4]Thanks we would def work on the Fahrenheit-to-Celsius shit

you are vulnerable to sql injection as pointed out by yawatide and also XSS as in the link below
http://weather9ja.com/view.php?name=%3Ca%20href=http://www.google.com%3Evulnerable%20to%20xss%20attack%3C/a%3E
read up on those bro

moreover, That name is a big mistake.
When you go big (i believe that is your intention), you will lose out
how?
well, the guys who own the weathernigeria.com and weathernaija.com domains will become your greatest nightmare.
even if they are currently selling tomatoes, they will switch to weather services.
and just a matter of time, you will be forgotten.

#justSaying

Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by donniemc: 5:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
webdezzi:

you are vulnerable to sql injection as pointed out by yawatide and also XSS as in the link below
http://weather9ja.com/view.php?name=%3Ca%20href=http://www.google.com%3Evulnerable%20to%20xss%20attack%3C/a%3E
read up on those bro

moreover, That name is a big mistake.
When you go big (i believe that is your intention), you will lose out
how?
well, the guys who own the weathernigeria.com and weathernaija.com domains will become your greatest nightmare.
even if they are currently selling tomatoes, they will switch to weather services.
and just a matter of time, you will be forgotten.

#justSaying
Thanks...like i said we dnt run a database so an sql injection is plain DuMB!!..it wnt work.....and as 4 d domain Guys, when we get big enough we just bUy them!!

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
Nice work! Love this

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists / How To Build A Livescore Website / *?* Get Professional Website (Peer-Peer, ICOs, MLM,Jumia/konga Type, Forum Etc)*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.