Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned (11258 Views)

Omotosho Power Plant II To Be Commissioned By President Jonathan Today / Ikoyi-lekki Link Bridge To Be Commissioned By November / Anambra Spends N4bn On Orient Refinery To Be Commissioned In 2 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by taharqa: 1:44am On Oct 20, 2012
The newly remodelled General Aviation Terminal (GAT) of the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos, will be commissioned in Lagos on Monday, October 22, 2012 by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim.

It will be the first terminal to be commissioned, among the 11 airports that are currently undergoing remodelling under the first phase of the Airport Remodelling Project.

According to the General Manager Corporate Services, of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr Yakubu Dati, the new terminal occupies a total floor area of about 4000 square metres, with maximum passenger capacity of about 400, at peak periods.

Dati explained that the departures and arrivals lounges have been increased to about 829 square metres and 982 square metres, respectively while the check-in-area occupies an area of about 1550 square metres. The increase will make passenger facilitation and cargo processing faster and easier.

[b]He said the story of the terminal began in November, 2011, when the old terminal building that was built in the 1950s was demolished. The new terminal underwent a total reconstruction from the foundation and the resulting edifice is a testimony to the resilience and determination towards turning around the aviation sector.

It would be recalled that on assumption of office as the Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Adaeze Oduah, promised to transform the aviation industry, in line with the Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government. The Managing Director of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, Mr. George Uriese has pursued these goals and translated the vision to concrete reality under the direction of the Minister.

Recently, the Minister led an international road show which has attracted tremendous support from the international investors. Already an MoU has been signed between the governments of Nigeria and China for the construction of five new airport terminals in Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Port-Harcourt and Enugu.[/b]

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/remodelled-terminal-of-lagos-airport-for-commissioning/#comment-22237
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by taharqa: 1:53am On Oct 20, 2012
The fruits of Mr Presidents 'Transformation' are beginning to show more. In a few weeks/Months, more Rail lines, Airports, Roads, Inland Seaports, Dams etc ought to be commissioned.

This airport is one of the 11 airports cut across the nation that were chosen to be completed Remodeled/Reconstructed to Modern terminals from the sorry states that most were( most of them have not been touched since they were constructed more than 30 years ago). Already apart from this lagos terminal, the terminals in Benin, Owerri and Kano are virtually complete and should be commisioned this month or next, while the others are generally more than 80% cmplete.

Remodeeling work should start in the other set of 11 airport by year's end or early next year.

To see the changes in these airports from the old to the new states, read:

http://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Ministerial+Press+Briefing+%E2%80%93+365+Days+of+Aviation+Sector+Transformation&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffmi.gov.ng%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F05%2FAviation-Ministerial-Press-Briefing-365-Days-of-Transformation-2.pdf&ei=x_KBUOykJ-em0QXM5ICwBA&usg=AFQjCNFQvN1SORuCvEvDg113Ifzc5A7eGg

2 Likes

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by braine(m): 2:32am On Oct 20, 2012
Commissioning; all I've been wanting to hear for a long time.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Horus(m): 2:38am On Oct 20, 2012
Any picture of the terminal?

3 Likes

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:50am On Oct 20, 2012
We still report news in this country like it's fuc/king 20 years ago . Why the hell can't the lazy journalists that wrote this news story go and snap a few pics of said terminal to add to the storys appeal?

4 Likes

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Nobody: 3:53am On Oct 20, 2012
i was at the airport today - unless this is naija style commissioning where they cut tape, pop champagne and work continues after the dignitaries have left, the place is not yet ready

2 Likes

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Maxymilliano(m): 6:25am On Oct 20, 2012
Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words, and this should not be different. But if i may ask, is the GAT now wearing a new look 'coz i don't seem to spot much difference from what it used to be.

1 Like

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Iolo(m): 8:51am On Oct 20, 2012
This article is referring to the old local airport for those in doubt.

Was there a few weeks ago and the place is completely changed. The main structure is a transparent glass house with some brown padding on the sides.

Really nice work I must say.

Tho the building itself is done, can't say for the finishing, lightening etc. Easy for this to be ready within 3 mths if they are serious sha.

Would have taken pics but didn't want any issues with the Mopol men stattioned there.

2 Likes

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by AjanleKoko: 9:34am On Oct 20, 2012
oyb: i was at the airport today - unless this is naija style commissioning where they cut tape, pop champagne and work continues after the dignitaries have left, the place is not yet ready

Actually the place is quite well done. Though uncompleted, not a bad structure.
Been to some airports as well - Kano, Benin, Abuja, Enugu - and there is significant work going on. Not world-class of course but a pleasant surprise for Nigeria. Usually a lot of money gets stolen and nothing gets done. This time around, something has been done.

2 Likes

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by CastleandGreen: 9:51am On Oct 20, 2012
As they finish, the government should try and
chase away all those official AGBORO from the airport.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 20, 2012
If there's a difference between a concourse and an aviation terminal then surely the article is right.

The airport concourse is still under construction. Anyone can see this as work is actually ongoing.

I'd like to believe this article is making reference to the section where ONLY travellers/passengers are allowed and not the concourse.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by AZeD1(m): 10:16am On Oct 20, 2012
Iolo: This article is referring to the old local airport for those in doubt.

Was there a few weeks ago and the place is completely changed. The main structure is a transparent glass house with some brown padding on the sides.

Really nice work I must say.

Tho the building itself is done, can't say for the finishing, lightening etc. Easy for this to be ready within 3 mths if they are serious sha.

Would have taken pics but didn't want any issues with the Mopol men stattioned there.
Why was the old local airport refurbished? What happens to MMA2 built by Bicourtney?
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:58am On Oct 20, 2012
A-ZeD:

Why was the old local airport refurbished? What happens to MMA2 built by Bicourtney?

^^^^MMA2? That cheap monstrosity doesn't befit the satus of this country.....looks like something a child playing with his LEGO knocked up in a hurry b/4 running out to play.

You notice how basic the terminal looks and the cheapness of materials used; imagine using split-unit ACs in a 21st century airport terminal!

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Twoboys: 11:16am On Oct 20, 2012
Thanks for the links, i find it very informing. At least progress is being made

taharqa: The fruits of Mr Presidents 'Transformation' are beginning to show more. In a few weeks/Months, more Rail lines, Airports, Roads, Inland Seaports, Dams etc ought to be commissioned.

This airport is one of the 11 airports cut across the nation that were chosen to be completed Remodeled/Reconstructed to Modern terminals from the sorry states that most were( most of them have not been touched since they were constructed more than 30 years ago). Already apart from this lagos terminal, the terminals in Benin, Owerri and Kano are virtually complete and should be commisioned this month or next, while the others are generally more than 80% cmplete.

Remodeeling work should start in the other set of 11 airport by year's end or early next year.

http://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Ministerial+Press+Briefing+%E2%80%93+365+Days+of+Aviation+Sector+Transformation&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffmi.gov.ng%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F05%2FAviation-Ministerial-Press-Briefing-365-Days-of-Transformation-2.pdf&ei=x_KBUOykJ-em0QXM5ICwBA&usg=AFQjCNFQvN1SORuCvEvDg113Ifzc5A7eGg

1 Like

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by RickyRoss1(m): 11:21am On Oct 20, 2012
taharqa: The fruits of Mr Presidents 'Transformation' are beginning to show more. In a few weeks/Months, more Rail lines, Airports, Roads, Inland Seaports, Dams etc ought to be commissioned.

O boy I didn't know they are building new terminal in Owerri, I refused to use the airport for long now bc the baggage collection there is an embarrassment. Cant wait to see what it looks like now. They should hurry and finish the PHC airport, the place is like a bus terminal now, so much chaos there cos only 2 airlines are currently operating from there.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by chyket(m): 11:33am On Oct 20, 2012
Kudos to the Aviation because this is indeed a miracle given the speed with which this was executed.This was the same thing that Wale Babalakin did under Obasanjo'Regime and will be ripping Nigeria off for 35years in MM2
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by otokx(m): 11:40am On Oct 20, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

O boy I didn't know they are building new terminal in Owerri, I refused to use the airport for long now bc the baggage collection there is an embarrassment. Cant wait to see what it looks like now. They should hurry and finish the PHC airport, the place is like a bus terminal now, so much chaos there cos only 2 airlines are currently operating from there.

What do you mean by 2 airlines? Arik, Aero, Dana, Lufthansa and Air France operate from here on a weekly basis not to talk of that one that goes to Fernando Po or something?
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:45am On Oct 20, 2012
otokx:

What do you mean by 2 airlines? Arik, Aero, Dana, Lufthansa and Air France operate from here on a weekly basis not to talk of that one that goes to Fernando Po or something?

^^^Hehehehe grin grin @ 'Fernando Po'.....next stop: Timbuktu!
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by otokx(m): 11:50am On Oct 20, 2012
They call it Equatorial Guinea or so now but its Fernando Po
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by OmoTier1(m): 11:52am On Oct 20, 2012
Dem try but this is what Nigeria should have done in 1984 , Abeg, has some one used CDG in Paris recently? Terminal 3 which is the equivalent of our GAT is like MMIA. Was in Pearson International Airport,Toronto, CAD, few weeks back, their GAT x2 of MMIA.

Please, lets not waste our time cutting any tape, I need to see the complete redesign (not remodelling) of Lagos, P/H, Kano, Benin, Abuja Airports. Nigeria government has $10bn she can invest in these airports and with responsible management, that money can be recouped in just 5years!

1 Like

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:53am On Oct 20, 2012
I used to call it 'Veranda Po' when i was little.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
Horus: Any picture of the terminal?

Dont mind them. They are remodelling airports when our roads are un-motorable. What percentage of Nigerians use the airports frequently

How many times i dey enter plane in a year sef? Clueless leaders.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
Omo_Tier1: Dem try but this is what Nigeria should have done in 1984 , Abeg, has some one used CDG in Paris recently? Terminal 3 which is the equivalent of our GAT is like MMIA. Was in Pearson International Airport,Toronto, CAD, few weeks back, their GAT x2 of MMIA.

Please, lets not waste our time cutting any tape, I need to see the complete redesign (not remodelling) of Lagos, P/H, Kano, Benin, Abuja Airports. Nigeria government has $10bn she can invest in these airports and with responsible management, that money can be recouped in just 5years!

^^^Not being funny, but if you get the likes of Bi-Courtney (again) to spend that $10 Billion....with that kind of money you should expect something of the quality of Heathrow T5, but -knowing Nigerian contractors- you'll probably get another MMA2; and to add insult to injury they'll come and tell you say the money no do.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by OmoTier1(m): 12:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Not being funny, but if you get the likes of Bi-Courtney (again) to spend that $10 Billion....with that kind of money you should expect something of the quality of Heathrow T5, but -knowing Nigerian contractors- you'll probably get another MMA2; and to add insult to injury they'll come and tell you say the money no do.
Bi-Courtney is a fraud so don't even talk about them! Beside I was only being economical with the scale of investment the FG can make into out airports and make very quick returns. Each time I travel through Paris or I am in Paris, I trip for CDG Airport. I was there in 2007 when Terminal 3 was like a military field, then used it in 2008, 2010, 2011, and several times this year, the transformation is REAL! over head Mono-Rail, dedicated Airport Shuttle lanes, Emergency lanes, Short corridors for Business passengers like me, I just kept saying to myself, Nigeria can afford this, We have the money, the personnel, so why ain't we doing something like this in either Lagos, Abuja, or P/H
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by bigboss80s(m): 1:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
We still report news in this country like it's fuc/king 20 years ago . Why the hell can't the lazy journalists that wrote this news story go and snap a few pics of said terminal to add to the storys appeal?
Click on the link in the post
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by KokoBeware: 3:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
okpara ugo:

Dont mind them. They are remodelling airports when our roads are un-motorable. What percentage of Nigerians use the airports frequently

How many times i dey enter plane in a year sef? Clueless leaders.

If u don't have anything to say just ignore the post....
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by DrDre1(m): 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2012
In this age and time, it's not even fit to be called an airport in the first place considering the (supposed) status of Nigeria and gosh! this is the twenty what century again please?
They should cut the tape and rename it Muritala Mohammed International Airport Landing Strip grin
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
Horus: Any picture of the terminal?

Look at the link below only if you have a PC with fast broadband cos there are lots of pictures there. If you are with BB on EmptyN or Ofenmanu Glo then forget it undecided

http://fmi.gov.ng/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Aviation-Ministerial-Press-Briefing-365-Days-of-Transformation-2.pdf
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Iolo(m): 8:48pm On Oct 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

Well, the MMA2 was built as an Airport Terminal not the main Airport building itself. The cargo terminals and a lot of Airlines make use of the old local terminal building.

Its all about expanding capacity. My suspicion based on what I saw is that this new government-built is going to be bigger than the MMA2 in terms of size and possibly passengers it can process.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by Iolo(m): 8:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
Here's the new local airport.

Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by dtemidare: 10:04pm On Oct 21, 2012
taharqa: The newly remodelled General Aviation Terminal (GAT) of the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos, will be commissioned in Lagos on Monday, October 22, 2012 by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim.

It will be the first terminal to be commissioned, among the 11 airports that are currently undergoing remodelling under the first phase of the Airport Remodelling Project.

According to the General Manager Corporate Services, of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr Yakubu Dati, the new terminal occupies a total floor area of about 4000 square metres, with maximum passenger capacity of about 400, at peak periods.

Dati explained that the departures and arrivals lounges have been increased to about 829 square metres and 982 square metres, respectively while the check-in-area occupies an area of about 1550 square metres. The increase will make passenger facilitation and cargo processing faster and easier.

[b]He said the story of the terminal began in November, 2011, when the old terminal building that was built in the 1950s was demolished. The new terminal underwent a total reconstruction from the foundation and the resulting edifice is a testimony to the resilience and determination towards turning around the aviation sector.

It would be recalled that on assumption of office as the Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Adaeze Oduah, promised to transform the aviation industry, in line with the Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government. The Managing Director of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, Mr. George Uriese has pursued these goals and translated the vision to concrete reality under the direction of the Minister.

Recently, the Minister led an international road show which has attracted tremendous support from the international investors. Already an MoU has been signed between the governments of Nigeria and China for the construction of five new airport terminals in Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Port-Harcourt and Enugu.[/b]

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/remodelled-terminal-of-lagos-airport-for-commissioning/#comment-22237

Tarhaqa please we have a lot of thomas'es who do not believe in this entity called Nigeria talkless our Leaders. Please do us a favour with vivid picture of the remodeled termial and the picture of the old one. The difference they say is always clear.
Re: Remodeled Lagos Airport Terminal Finished, To Be Commissioned by dtemidare: 10:22pm On Oct 21, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Hehehehe grin grin @ 'Fernando Po'.....next stop: Timbuktu!

LMAOL cheesy cheesy grin Mali fins

(1) (Reply)

Nairalander Discusses "Social Media & Politics" On Channels TV. / Supreme Court Hears Saraki’s Appeal Thursday / Lasun Yussuff: I'II Do Anything It Takes To Rescue Osun From Economic Challenges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.