Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,755 members, 7,806,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death (12690 Views)

Jos Wildlife Park Lion Killed {picture} / What Distinguishes Humans From Other Animals? / Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by gramci: 7:56am On Oct 21, 2012
Even as Benue State Governor Gabriel Suswam has been importing pigs into the state, animals in the popular MakurdiZoological Garden are being starved to death.

A lion was reported to have died of starvation in the zoo last week. Sunday Trust gathered that most of the animals kept in the state government-owned zoo located inside the Benue State University are dying due to starvation.

Only two weeks ago, the remaining two cheetahs died, one chimpanzee, a tortoise and others also died reducing the number of animals drastically.
The lioness which finally succumbed to death on Wednesday after battling with severe hunger left alone its male companion in the lair. They were said to be both feeding on 14kg of beef twice or thrice in a week.

“The meal was quite insufficient for them. Our animals are dying unless something urgent is done, the entire creatures will go extinct in this zoo,” a staff who declined to give his name criedout.

Our correspondent, who visitedthe zoo, observed a case of abandonment as the dirt road leading to the place and the so-called gardens meant to house the animals in their different shades are over grown with weeds.

The zoo attendants were unwilling to answer questions. Neither the manager nor any senior official was within the vicinity to say why things are the way they are.

http://sundaytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11761:benue-zoo-starves-lion-other-animals-to-death&catid=41:latest-news&Itemid=26
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 21, 2012
Where are the zoologists?
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 21, 2012
Na jejeli and gbadunli these animals dey for jungle oh before you pple go capture them put for zoo. Jungle wey three square prey meals sure for them die. If you wouldn't feed them well, why take dem into d zoo. Just pray their ghost don't hunt you. tongue
Rest in peace poor souls. embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 21, 2012
So, You mean to tell me that the problem is 'meat' lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by GodsSon5(m): 8:09am On Oct 21, 2012
This is unfortunate
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Orblonde: 8:11am On Oct 21, 2012
We should not be having these Zoos as we don't have a maintainance culture to look after them. We don't even value human life, so what hope will animals have with us? The problem with Nigeria is on too many levels.

4 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by ihebrooke(m): 8:11am On Oct 21, 2012
Nigeria; we don't ever take care of what we have until we lose it, then we start buying and importing our natural and God given resources.

While some countries thrive and live on revenues gotten from tourism, we kill ours.
Pathetic!

3 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Revolva(m): 8:11am On Oct 21, 2012
When human being never eat belleful na animals hiss over here we don't give a damm about animals welfare ok --haha lol no worry d lion go vex scatter the cage and enter the streets of markurdi
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by sylve11: 8:12am On Oct 21, 2012
Won't it be wise if the remaining animals do the 'George Orwell's' thing? sad cool

2 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:12am On Oct 21, 2012
Barbaric. sad
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by masterpiecer(m): 8:13am On Oct 21, 2012
i think this is mean
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by yuzedo: 8:16am On Oct 21, 2012
Why didn't they give the Lions garri? undecided

I told you guys that in Naija zoos they feed Tigers golden-morn, Crocodile gets kunu, and they give Snakes banana & groundnut.... Is it fair? sad

2 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 21, 2012
When human never belleful,na animal wan com eat? Make animal die,make we see meat chop jare,sallah don come.
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by okooyinbo(m): 8:20am On Oct 21, 2012
Julieccentric: Where are the zoologists?

What a question: You dont need to search really hard my dear daughter. A visit to Abuja would tell you where to find 'em. Their most prominent member reside inside one rock like that in that city.

4 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by lekanwj(m): 8:22am On Oct 21, 2012
Why do you cage animals when u can't feed them?. I don't know who gave us the impresion we can maintain a zoo wneh humans are not fed enough. Sorry jare poor amimal RIP.

2 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 21, 2012
Wey that Aboki dem catch with vulture for Port Harcourt?

Benue State Govt for gee am the running contract of supplying the Lions and Cheetahs with "Peppered Udele" abi na "Vulture peri-peri" on their menu...

We no dey sabi exploit people's talent for this Obodo-Naija...

1 Like

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 21, 2012
I advise they sell the remaining animals and close up the zoo.
They must not run a zoo if they don't have the capacity.

1 Like

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by jamp: 8:23am On Oct 21, 2012
We have poor maintenance culture in Nigeria. Ordinary grass for National stadium we no fit maintain.

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Remii(m): 8:23am On Oct 21, 2012
Julieccentric: Where are the zoologists?

The luckiest one is in Aso rock

3 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by ijebabe: 8:26am On Oct 21, 2012
So they waited for all these animals to die before leaking the news? I guess better late than never.

what system of management is this? Humans still manage to surprise and revolt me, im ashamed to say. When will I get used to this madness so that I can live as ignorantly as these fools do? *sigh*
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 21, 2012
yuzedo: Why didn't they give the Lions garri? undecided

I told you guys that in Naija zoos they feed Tigers golden-morn, Crocodile gets kunu, and they give Snakes banana & groundnut.... Is it fair? sad
grin
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by hollypagan: 8:31am On Oct 21, 2012
they should feed them with all this NAIRALANDERS who talk trash here
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by chucky234(m): 8:34am On Oct 21, 2012
If they can't care for the animals they should take them back into the wild rather than starve them to death,Nigerians with their annoying habits.
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by pastormustwacc: 8:42am On Oct 21, 2012
My hungry cat used to take garri, so why not give them lions too? this is grossly unfair. The government must pay for this.
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by mrkels(m): 8:46am On Oct 21, 2012
Embarrassing news. Just feed them with boko haram jor
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by kennethromanus: 8:50am On Oct 21, 2012
;Dwetn d benue govmnt dey do abt dis issue na?.dis ar animals wey dey der thng 4 jungle,.u go crry dem cm..haba.if na meat b dia prblm!.na 2 crry 1 of dis benue govmnt truck/tiper enta borno go fetch dis dead bokoharam boys wey jtf just dey waste 4 dat place.nawa o.. . ;Dwetn d benue govmnt dey do abt dis issue na?.dis ar animals wey dey der thng 4 jungle,.u go crry dem cm..haba.if na meat b dia prblm!.na 2 crry 1 of dis benue govmnt truck/tiper enta borno go fetch dis dead bokoharam boys wey jtf just dey waste 4 dat place.nawa o.. .
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by pastormustwacc: 8:51am On Oct 21, 2012
holly-pagan:
they should feed them with all this NAIRALANDERS who talk trash here
Very true, then we will have to start with you, followed by 190, tpia, and beaf
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Sijo01(f): 8:52am On Oct 21, 2012
Even animal dey feel d crises 4naija. Na wa o!
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by pastormustwacc: 8:56am On Oct 21, 2012
^^^human beings dey suffer, animals sef and plants must feel am na. Naija na 4th world country.

2 Likes

Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Mcdondayan: 8:58am On Oct 21, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: Wey that Aboki dem catch with vulture for Port Harcourt?

Benue State Govt for gee am the running contract of supplying the Lions and Cheetahs with "Peppered Udele" abi na "Vulture peri-peri" on their menu...

We no dey sabi exploit people's talent for this Obodo-Naija...
intentionally or not you made sense.
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by newmaonza: 8:58am On Oct 21, 2012
The lions at the Owerri Zoological Gardens at NAZE are even worse cry.... The last time i went there i really pitied those lions they looked hungrier than village dogs,i had to run for my life when i heard that the BOA the zoo was keeping has escaped shocked............
Re: Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 21, 2012
pastormustwacc: ^^^human beings dey suffer, animals sef and plants must feel am na. Naija na 4th world country.
lmao!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whatsapp Download | Www.whatsapp.com For Latest Version / [tech] Mtn Bis Still Working With Simple Server On Pc For Free / Samsung Smart Tv With Hand And Voice Recognition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.