Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,858 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:57 AM

Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem (28703 Views)

Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria / Camry 2.4 Automatic Transmission Problems. Please Help! / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 9:51pm On Oct 21, 2012
hello...i have a Volkswagen golf MK4 which uses an automatic transmission.....i noticed that any time i drive the car for a while or long distance the gearbox gets very hot and disengages leaving the car in a "neutral" state....i step on the accelerator but it still doesn't move....the rpm goes up but still no movement....i have to park the car for like 10mins for it to cool down b4 it comes back to normal but d problem still repeats itself when the gearbox is hot..i took it to the mechanic he changed the gearbox filter and replaced the oil with a new one but the problem still exists...has any1 in the house experienced a similar problem and what do i do?Thanks everyone
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 21, 2012
kulboy: hello...i have a Volkswagen golf MK4 which uses an automatic transmission.....i noticed that any time i drive the car for a while or long distance the gearbox gets very hot and disengages leaving the car in a "neutral" state....i step on the accelerator but it still doesn't move....the rpm goes up but still no movement....i have to park the car for like 10mins for it to cool down b4 it comes back to normal but d problem still repeats itself when the gearbox is hot..i took it to the mechanic he changed the gearbox filter and replaced the oil with a new one but the problem still exists...has any1 in the house experienced a similar problem and what do i do?Thanks everyone

What gearbox fluid was used?

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 10:01pm On Oct 21, 2012
Siena:

What gearbox fluid was used?

#JusticeforAluu4
"Abro" what do you suggest?
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 21, 2012
kulboy:
"Abro" what do you suggest?

Abro is type A or D, and it's red. Not suitable for Volkswagen or Audi!!

You'll need to get it completely flushed, and refilled with the correct fluid. And a NEW filter, not the contaminated one washed.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 10:14pm On Oct 21, 2012
Make una help me out naaa cry cry cry
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 10:19pm On Oct 21, 2012
Siena:

Abro is type A or D, and it's red. Not suitable for Volkswagen or Audi!!

You'll need to get it completely flushed, and refilled with the correct fluid. And a NEW filter, not the contaminated one washed.

#JusticeforAluu4
so you mean that i need to change the gear fluid immediately....do you think any damage has been done to the automatic transmission? what kind of gear fluid do you recommend for my car...cheers!!
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 21, 2012
kulboy:
so you mean that i need to change the gear fluid immediately....do you think any damage has been done to the automatic transmission? what kind of gear fluid do you recommend for my car...cheers!!

Yes, you need to get that stuff taken out immediately. Whether any damage has been done depends on how long you've been driving it with the wrong fluid. I certainly would advise you to drive it any longer, unless you've decided to buy a replacement tranny.

What year is your car, and what engine size is it?

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 10:38pm On Oct 21, 2012
Siena:

Yes, you need to get that stuff taken out immediately. Whether any damage has been done depends on how long you've been driving it with the wrong fluid. I certainly would advise you to drive it any longer, unless you've decided to buy a replacement tranny.

What year is your car, and what engine size is it?

#JusticeforAluu4
Truth be told, i have actually been driving with the supposedly "wrong" fluid for a while..i don't usually use the car for long distances so tranny failure hasn't reoccurred in a while btw its a 1999 model with a 2.0 engine. whats your take on this?cheers mate!!!
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 10:40pm On Oct 21, 2012
@ikenna351 your comments would also be appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 21, 2012
kulboy:
Truth be told, i have actually been driving with the supposedly "wrong" fluid for a while..i don't usually use the car for long distances so tranny failure hasn't reoccurred in a while btw its a 1999 model with a 2.0 engine. whats your take on this?cheers mate!!!

No worries. Post your VIN, and I'll know exactly the year, and what VAG trans fluid it takes, and how many litres.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 10:52pm On Oct 21, 2012
Siena:

No worries. Post your VIN, and I'll know exactly the year, and what VAG trans fluid it takes, and how many litres.

#JusticeforAluu4
i don't know the "vin" because i am not around the car...i traveled and couldn't take it along with me, and wont be back till weekend. i am also hoping to buy replacement parts for the tranny i.e the filter and the right transmission fluid here(it should be cheaper). i hope this doesn't discourage you or stall your advice or solutions to my cars tranny problem. Thank you.
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 21, 2012
kulboy: i don't know the "vin" because i am not around the car...i traveled and couldn't take it along with me.. i hope this doesn't discourage you or stall your advice or solutions to my cars tranny problem. Thank you.

Okay. I'll work on the presumption it's a 2000 model, with a 1,984cc I4 SOHC 8V engine. I'll give you details tomorrow.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 11:00pm On Oct 21, 2012
Siena:

Okay. I'll work on the presumption it's a 2000 model, with a 1,984cc I4 SOHC 8V engine. I'll give you details tomorrow.

#JusticeforAluu4
To the best of my knowledge, its a 1999 model with a 2.0l engine(4-cylinder)..Thank you.
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by kulboy(m): 1:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
Still waiting for replies...
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by ziye: 9:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hi i drive a 2000 golf mk4 automatic milage is 120000km, gear change from 2 to 3 is a bit rough. All other gears work well. What could be the problem? Do i need to change gear box oil?
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 10, 2013
ziye: Hi i drive a 2000 golf mk4 automatic milage is 120000km, gear change from 2 to 3 is a bit rough. All other gears work well. What could be the problem? Do i need to change gear box oil?

First, I would scan for codes. What engine does it have, and when was the oil and filter replaced?
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Youssef966: 2:58pm On Nov 15, 2017
Plzz help i have vw bora 2002 v5 auto
The car changing the gears really hardly special from 2 to 3 gear can any one help plzzz
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Lovetinz(m): 5:57pm On Nov 15, 2017
You should open a New thread, I only stumbled on your comment.
You are tailgating a different thread that was last commented on in 2013.
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by DECOtech(m): 12:13pm On Nov 16, 2017
Youssef966:
Plzz help i have vw bora 2002 v5 auto
The car changing the gears really hardly special from 2 to 3 gear can any one help plzzz

Change ATF and filter. make sure to use OEM
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by Eburnian: 1:26am On Jun 04, 2021
Afternoon fellows. Please how much is the automatic gear of golf 4 1.8L 20V. Mine no longer select when hot and my mechanic said the leather as been stripped off and it's visible from the drain ATF.
Please I need price and location?

Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by dammysphere(m): 7:31am On Jul 23, 2021
Eburnian:
Afternoon fellows. Please how much is the automatic gear of golf 4 1.8L 20V. Mine no longer select when hot and my mechanic said the leather as been stripped off and it's visible from the drain ATF.

Where you able to resolve the issue? I have same model car & engine as yours. Pls I need your contact information cos my gear also giving me problem. Thank you
Re: Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem by dammysphere(m): 7:35am On Jul 23, 2021
Eburnian:

Pls whatsapp me only on my contact below.
Pls it's urgent,my golf is not in good shape at all. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Dutch Firm Releases 'First Solar Car That Travels 450 Miles On Single Charge' / The Full Meaning Of Cars / US Police Officers Give Motorists N57,000 Each As Christmas Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.