Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? (10213 Views)

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by jamp: 4:36am On Oct 22, 2012
My fellow NL, Could it be said that buying and selling on a sunday is a sin since the Bible said remember the sabbath day and keep it holy.

If is a sin that means almost everybody is committing the sin cos we buy fuel on sunday or enter taxi to visit friends/relations on sunday.

Let's reason together on this

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by ITbomb(m): 5:03am On Oct 22, 2012
We buy Devotionals, preaching cds, writing materials, handkerchief , sweet and biscuit on sundays.
Don't make this religion thing too hard on u. Think wide and be free from human doctrine.
Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.

Most people feel they should rest on that day but others just have to be there to provide essential services.

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by ATMC(f): 6:11am On Oct 22, 2012
D commandment is not to work on sunday but then there's a higher command and dt is love god and ur neighbour, which if u do has covered d sabbath day issue

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by jamp: 6:31am On Oct 22, 2012
ITbomb: We buy Devotionals, preaching cds, writing materials, handkerchief , sweet and biscuit on sundays.
Don't make this religion thing too hard on u. Think wide and be free from human doctrine.
Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.

Most people feel they should rest on that day but others just have to be there to provide essential services.

Are u saying one can go about his/her normal business on sunday without committing sin against God
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by pastormustwacc: 7:35am On Oct 22, 2012
In the time of moses, a man was caught picking sticks (a means) on a sabath day, God told moses to kill the man by stoning him to death.

But when Jesus was faced with a similar situation, He said that sabath is for man, and not man for sabath.

So likewise, i am telling you that sunday is for man, and not man for sunday. Do your daily devotion, worship the Lord you God everyday of your life (not just sunday). Go to church, satisfy your conscience, but dont have false belief, we are no longer in the time of Moses, people waaaake upppppp!!

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by manny4life(m): 5:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
ATMC: D commandment is not to work on sunday but then there's a higher command and dt is love god and ur neighbour, which if u do has covered d sabbath day issue

Which of the commandment is this? shocked shocked shocked shocked

It's people like you who twist the Bible upside down

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by rufflychux(m): 5:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
Sunday is not the true Sabbath.
Saturday is the true Sabbath.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it Holy.

In Portuguese, Saturday is Sabado

And, we are no longer under the law, we are under grace.
In the days of Moses, people got punished for working on Saturdays.
Jesus Christ freed us from The Law.
We are now under Grace

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by greatgod2012(f): 5:30pm On Nov 11, 2012
Im not in bondage, im a xtian, but i dont have to suffer unnecessarily, God is merciful and loving, he knows dt we cannot do without some things. Some pple just like to be too fanatical. If u know u really want to follow all d laws to book, dont "kuku" eat on sundays then.
We just like to make things unnecessarily hard 4 ourselves, forgetting and missing d real message of d kingdom.

##The love and d grace of God has set me free from d bondage of law##
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by pak: 5:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
ATMC: D commandment is not to work on sunday but then there's a higher command and dt is love god and ur neighbour, which if u do has covered d sabbath day issue

Na wa O. No wonder most atheist know more about Christianity than christians. The last time I checked the Sabbath was on Saturday and even Jesus worked, walked and healed both on Saturday and Sunday so which one is your own.

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
So why did God give the law in the first place if he was going to change it

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by princemedico: 5:48pm On Nov 11, 2012
We should not bond ourselves with laws, it is no sin. In that case maybe we should not eat because you do not want to buy bread from 'mama Ijeoma' on sunday.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Youngzedd(m): 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
This is serious and true, almost everybody buy on Sunday.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Originalsly: 5:53pm On Nov 11, 2012
jamp: My fellow NL, Could it be said that buying and selling on a sunday is a sin since the Bible said remember the sabbath day and keep it holy.
Did the Bible say the first day...Sunday... was the Sabbath?... or the seventh day...Saturday? Am sure you don't have a clue as to why people worship on Sunday. According to the New Testament is for each man to pick any day to be his Sabbath. If a man chooses Tuesday then Sunday is a normal day for him to do business or whatever. If you have a. BIble...read it for yourself.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Yommykixz(m): 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
I don't know why some Christians think they can use 'The Grace of God' over everything, even to bypass God's own law. Keep the Sabath day HOLY...Simple!!!
GOD is not man that changes His words, it is a law, weda in the time of Moses or Jesus, it still remains a Law. You using big big grammars to waive it away won't fool God, Remember!!!

And BTW Saturday is the Sabath!

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
I'm a sinner saved by GRACE!
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2012

Which bible did you read this from

And who says Sunday is the Sabbath?

Some people just swallow and regurgitate all their pastor tells them.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
manny4life:

Which of the commandment is this? shocked shocked shocked shocked

It's people like you who twist the Bible upside down

Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which [is] the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

1 Like

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Cuddlemii: 6:40pm On Nov 11, 2012
Doesn't buying and selling occur in churches on Sundays too?
The preachers CD, DVD and motivational books sold by ushers or the officials of the church is what?
Some are even sold while the service is still on. The pastor is preaching and some lousy usher is shouting
that she doesn't have change/lower denomination, that, she will change it with the funds from the collection box. Is this right?

What will you call Statements like this, "my glorious congregation, I need 7 members to donate/pledge 7 million naira today,
the ushers will go round to collect these pledges, we need an ultramodern tabernacle for worship
"....

This collection of 7 millions naira can last during the whole service, the pastor won't relent till the money is complete.
Don't pastors buy snacks on Sundays for their kids or fuel their numerous cars with bodyguards that probably get their
salaries after every church service?
So who are we deceiving? cheesy

You can attend church on Sunday and still transact your business afterwards, man has to eat.
As far as it is not an illegal activities.

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 11, 2012
jamp: My fellow NL, Could it be said that buying and selling on a sunday is a sin since the Bible said remember the sabbath day and keep it holy.

If is a sin that means almost everybody is committing the sin cos we buy fuel on sunday or enter taxi to visit friends/relations on sunday.

Let's reason together on this
SATURDAY IS SABBATH NOT SUNDAY

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by joe4christ(m): 6:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
[size=15pt] The word of the lord cannot be broken, even Jesus said ''I did not come to abolish the law but rather to fulfill it,'' i believe the reason why the OP asked this question is because the holy spirit has been popping and laying effancies on this commandment of keeping the sabath day holy, the sabath day is the day of the lord, it's a day that should be completely dedicated to the lord Just as tithing 'which is the dedication of 10% of your income to the lord ' is also applicable till date even though it's of old testament origin, but trying not to keep the laws makes u lose your peace, cos you come to realise ''atleast for those who are sensitive to the voice of the holy spirit'' that you actually grieve the holy spirit each time you refuse to obey this two commands, which is a demonstration of love for both God and his church, if you truly love God you would keep his sabath day holy by not engaging in buying and sellings, making it a special day, a day different from the rest of the days of the week, the only thing that would make you buy must only be in demonstration of love to God & to man which was exactly what Jesus did by healing on the sabath day, the sabath day is supposed to be a special day dedicated to God's services of doing good and showing more love and staying completely from anything that contradict the will of God while also tithing is also another way of proofing God to be your source, u pay it cos you love him as it is written ''If you love me, obey my command - Jesus''
And his command says ''bring ye thy tithe into my house that there might be enough in my house - Malachi''
But many choose to twist the scriptures to suit themselves and fall under false deception Just like many atheists & agnostics of today fall into same dark pit of self-deception and most eventually get sold to a reprobate mind and most end up in destruction.
I pray God help us all! [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 11, 2012
rotimiakpeji: So why did God give the law in the first place if he was going to change it
HE CHANGED IT BECAUSE THE GENTILES ARE NOT JEWS. IT IS UNFAIR FOR GENTILES TO FOLLOW JEWISH LAWS. WE ARE IN THE ERA OF THE GENTILES AND THE JEWS HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED FROM THEIR HERITAGE AND DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE TODAY AND PROBABLY THINK THEY ARE GENTILES. AS SUCH NO ONE KEEPS THE SABBATH HOLY ANYMORE. HOWEVER WHEN THE REAL JEWS GET BACK INTO ISRAEL WHEN CHRIST RETURNS, THEY WILL START KEEPING THE SABBATH AGAIN.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
pastormustwacc: In the time of moses, a man was caught picking sticks (a means) on a sabath day, God told moses to kill the man by stoning him to death.

But when Jesus was faced with a similar situation, He said that sabath is for man, and not man for sabath.

So likewise, i am telling you that sunday is for man, and not man for sunday. Do your daily devotion, worship the Lord you God everyday of your life (not just sunday). Go to church, satisfy your conscience, but dont have false belief, we are no longer in the time of Moses, people waaaake upppppp!!

Your bastatrd god killed so many people,why?
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Wsdm: 7:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
... This is confusion of the highest order. I wish you people can just say things that is proportional to reality. All these confusion is as a result of mixing God's words with that of men in the name of reviewing new testament from the old one.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 11, 2012
ifeness:

Your bastatrd god killed so many people, why?

1Samuel 2:6 The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.

@The bolded

1Samuel 2:10 The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them: the LORD shall judge the ends of the earth; and he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed.

Psalms 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD [shall be] as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Wsdm: 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
obadiah777: HE CHANGED IT BECAUSE THE GENTILES ARE NOT JEWS. IT IS UNFAIR FOR GENTILES TO FOLLOW JEWISH LAWS. WE ARE IN THE ERA OF THE GENTILES AND THE JEWS HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED FROM THEIR HERITAGE AND DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE TODAY AND PROBABLY THINK THEY ARE GENTILES. AS SUCH NO ONE KEEPS THE SABBATH HOLY ANYMORE. HOWEVER WHEN THE REAL JEWS GET BACK INTO ISRAEL WHEN CHRIST RETURNS, THEY WILL START KEEPING THE SABBATH AGAIN.
this is fallacy. Which Israel are the Jews going to occupy? Do You think that Christ the son of Marry ( May God be pleased with him) has the time to go and help Israelites fight for a stolen land during his second coming eventhough they have been boasting of killing him and have also been wallowing in utter unbelief?
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by cuteonyii(m): 7:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
seriallink:

Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which [is] the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
and he said if you love me keep my commandments.. so for you to prove that you love God, you have to keep thesame commandment you want to run away from.. so now which one is greater now?
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by joe4christ(m): 7:46pm On Nov 11, 2012
obadiah777: SATURDAY IS SABBATH NOT SUNDAY

Whichever day you chooses as the sabbath day is of no great imlication to heaven as long as that day is set aside for God's glory it's okay, for it is written, ''whoever is not against me is for me - Jesus''
Just as 'chritmas' is dedicated to the lord even though it's history is of pagan origin, 25th of December celebrated as the birthday of our lord and savior Jesus christ is of no biblical backing, but we know it's of God's glory, and even the holy spirit approves of it else we the children of the most high called and saved by grace through the blood would have risen against it and condemn it.
The ministry of the holy spirit is real, learn to ask him questions you're not clear about.
Bless you!

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 11, 2012
Wsdm: this is fallacy. Which Israel are the Jews going to occupy? Do You think that Christ the son of Marry ( May God be pleased with him) has the time to go and help Israelites fight for a stolen land during his second coming eventhough they have been boasting of killing him and have also been wallowing in utter unbelief?
OH YE SIMPLE ONES HOW LONG WILL YE LOVE SIMPLICITY ? WHAT DO YOU THINK CHRIST IS COMING FOR ?

ISAIAH 14 VS 1 For the LORD will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land: and the strangers shall be joined with them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob.

JEREMIAH 12 VS 15 And it shall come to pass, after that I have plucked them out I will return, and have compassion on them, and will bring them again, every man to his heritage, and every man to his land

NOW LET ME TELL YOU WHAT CHRIST IS COMING FOR
1-YES HE IS COMING TO FIGHT. TO BREAK THE SATANIC HOLD OF THE GENTILES ON THE WORLD. ITS CALLED WORLD WAR THREE AND THE THIRD WOE. ISAIAH 63 VS 1-3, JOEL CHPT3, ISAIAH CHPT 13, ETC ETC
2-TO CLEANSE THE WORLD WITH FIRE ( THERMONUCLEAR FIRE ). HE IS THE ONE WHO PUT IT IN THE MINDS OF THE SCIENTIST TO MAKE THE NUKES ISAIAH 54 VS 16
3-TO COLLECT HIS SAINTS ( ISRAELITES ) FROM THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH AND BRING THEM BACK TO THEIR OWN LAND ( AND NOT NOT THE PEOPLE IN ISRAEL TODAY PRETENDING TO BE JEWS. THOSE ARE AMALEKITE-EDOMITES REV 2 VS 9 )
4-TO PUT THE GENTILES WHO DIDNT HEARKEN TO THE WORD INTO SECOND DEATH
5-TO SPRING ISRAEL FROM SECOND DEATH

CHRIST IS NOT COMING TO HAND OUT COOKIES AND MILK. HE IS COMING FOR WAR.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2012
cuteonyii: and he said if you love me keep my commandments.. so for you to prove that you love God, you have to keep thesame commandment you want to run away from.. so now which one is greater now?

I gave scripture to what someone was disputing; I never told you I was running away from any commandment, did I?

BTW, is the Lord's sabbath on Sunday?
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2012
so buying and selling is not holy,then what is holy?..buying only?,, abi selling only?
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
joe4christ:

Whichever day you chooses as the sabbath day is of no great imlication to heaven as long as that day is set aside for God's glory it's okay, for it is written, ''whoever is not against me is for me - Jesus''
Just as 'chritmas' is dedicated to the lord even though it's history is of pagan origin, 25th of December celebrated as the birthday of our lord and savior Jesus christ is of no biblical backing, but we know it's of God's glory, and even the holy spirit approves of it else we the children of the most high called and saved by grace through the blood would have risen against it and condemn it.
The ministry of the holy spirit is real, learn to ask him questions you're not clear about.
Bless you!
SABBATH IS NO BIG DEAL NOW BECAUSE QUITE FRANKLY THE REAL JEWS DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE. THEY HAVE BEEN KICKED OUT OF THE LAND ( LUKE 21 VS 24 ) AND DISCONTINUED FROM THEIR HERITAGE AS JEWS ( JEREMIAH 17 VS 4 ). AND WE ARE IN THE ERA OF THE GENTILES ( ROMANS 11 VS 11 ) AS SUCH THE SABBATH IS NO BIG DEAL BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO RENDER UNTO CAESAR WHAT IS CAESARS. THIS WORLD IS NOT OF THE LORD AS IT IS SETUP ( JOB 9 VS 24 )

MY POINT HERE IS YOU CAN PICK ANY DAY FOR SABBATH, HOWEVER WHEN THE REAL JEWS ARE RETURNED TO ISRAEL IN CHRISTS SECOND COMING, THE REAL JEWS WILL OBEY SABBATH ON SATURDAY. WOULDT BE NO 'MAN IS MADE FOR SABBATH'. THE NEW TESTAMENT IS A BOOK FOR GENTILES. THIS IS WHY THERE WAS A SABBATH COMPROMISE CUZ YOU CANT EXPECT GENTILES TO OBEY JEWISH LAWS. HOWEVER THE SABBATH IS A VERY IMPORTANT LAW, JUST NOT IN THIS KINGDOM. HOWEVER MORAL LAWS ARE VERY IMPORTANT IN THIS KINGDOM. CEREMONIAL LAWS WILL BE IMPORTANT IN ISRAEL WHEN CHRIST KINGDOM IS ESTABLISHED. ONE THING TO NOTE, ONLY HERITAGE ISRAELITES AND THE GENTILES WHO TRULY WORSHIP GOD WILL BE RETURNED TO THE LAND OF ISRAEL. EVERYONE ELSE WILL REMAIN IN THEIR OWN LANDS. AND THEN ISRAEL WILL BE THE AMERICA OF TODAY. FROM ISRAEL WILL COME THE SPIRITUAL CIVILIZATION OF THE WHOLE WORLD.
Re: Is Buying And Selling On Sunday A Sin? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
CHRIST IS COMING FOR WAR AND VIOLENCE AND BLOODSHED AND REVENGE. MATTHEW 10 VS 34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword ALL THOSE WHO HAVE KILLED AND ENSLAVED THE ISRAELITES HAVE NOT PAID FOR IT. TRANSATLANTIC SLAVERY HAS NOT BEEN PAID FOR, COLONIALISM, LYNCHINGS, STEALING LANDS, STEALING OTHER PEOPLES RESOURCES, ENSLAVING PEOPLE, PLUNDERING THEIR NATIONS ETC ETC <<<<<CRIMES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN PAID FOR. SCRIPTURE SAYS IN ECCLESIASTES 3 VS 15 I HAVE COME TO RECALL THE PAST. SCRIPTURE SAYS BECAUSE JUSTICE AGAINST A CRIME IS NOT SPEEDILY EXECUTED IT HAS MADE THE MINDS OF MEN VERY EVIL. SCRIPTURE SAYS THEIR SINS HAVE MOUNTED UP TO THE HEAVENS. <<<<<<REVENGE FOR ALL THESE IS ONE OF THE REASONS CHRIST IS COMING. RECOMPENSE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Rapture : Who Will Be Caught Up With Christ At His Coming? - Olamide Obire / Pope Francis Celebrates His 82nd Birthday / How You Draw Close To God During This Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.