Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars (13362 Views)

Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars / Nigeria Exports Power To Republic Of Benin: Why? / Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Katsumoto: 3:14am On Oct 25, 2012
ekt_bear:

Angola produces lots of oil and has a small population (~20 million), though. So, it makes sense that in a short period of time they'd be able to rapidly climb up the rankings.

Ekt Bear, Ekt Bear Ekt Bear

A country that fought a war for 27 years with higher illiteracy levels than Nigeria is doing better than Nigeria. Forget about Angola doing better than resource poor countries such as Ethiopia, Mali, Niger, Burundi, that's hardly surprising, what is shocking is that it is doing better than Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by ektbear: 3:26am On Oct 25, 2012
Why is this unreasonable?

27 years of war may have brought you to rock bottom.

But then massive discoveries of oil and judicious spending of said oil revenues can bring you high again.

10 years of success can erase 27 years of pain quite rapidly.

If hypothetically Angola's GDP/capita was 50% of Nigeria's in 2002, and their economy grows 30% per year for a decade, simple math tells us that it won't take long for them to surpass Nigeria. This is not magic.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by ANALIST: 12:20pm On Oct 26, 2012
That was a good one, dear. How do we go there? Should be the question that you needed to proffer. In every political setting there is always Critics. But the biference even in the US political Critics and Nigeria is that they proffer solution that the government may consider as realist and make amends. But in Nigeria we have intelligent but greedy political Elites that do not care what the next generation of this great country will look like, but tries by all means to gain power and subdue others, in the name knowing how to govern more than anyother.
To make noise is the voice of the empty tanker which does not contain any substance.
One who does not have solution should stop ranting.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Katsumoto: 1:27pm On Oct 26, 2012
ekt_bear: Why is this unreasonable?

27 years of war may have brought you to rock bottom.

But then massive discoveries of oil and judicious spending of said oil revenues can bring you high again.

10 years of success can erase 27 years of pain quite rapidly.

If hypothetically Angola's GDP/capita was 50% of Nigeria's in 2002, and their economy grows 30% per year for a decade, simple math tells us that it won't take long for them to surpass Nigeria. This is not magic.

LMAO

30% per year for a decade!!!!!! That is magic. Lets not use hypothesis for an indicator for which actual rates exist. Angola has had average GDP growth rates of 11% over the past decade. Over the last decade, Qatar has had the highest average GDP growth rate at 13%. That is a far cry from 30% annualized growth rate over a decade.

Second, the size of the GDP of both countries also matter. If Sao Tome and Principe grows at 50% for the next 100 years, it will not get close to China.

Third, the debate is not about GDP or growth rates; it is about management of revenue, provision of essential services, and improving the lives of its citizens. My point is that Nigeria has a bigger economy than Angola, has earned more revenue from a wasting asset, has not fought a war for 27 years as Angola has, and yet Angola is higher than Nigeria in the Human Development Index.

Earning record revenues means jack if it isn't used to improve the lives of citizens.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Ibime(m): 1:51pm On Oct 26, 2012
Katsumoto:
Second, the size of the GDP of both countries also matter. If Sao Tome and Principe grows at 50% for the next 100 years, it will not get close to China.

Maths cannot be your strong point. If Sao Tome grows at 50% for 100 years, it will have a GDP greater than the rest of the world put together including Mars, Jupiter, Pluto and Venus.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Katsumoto: 2:35pm On Oct 26, 2012
Ibime:

Maths cannot be your strong point. If Sao Tome grows at 50% for 100 years, it will have a GDP greater than the rest of the world put together including Mars, Jupiter, Pluto and Venus.

Abeg free me jor, grin

I was going for a shocking exaggeration just as Ekt Bear went for 30% growth rate. I wasn't calculating it.

what is the growth rate for the rest of the world?

And maths is a strong point.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by NegroNtns(m): 2:42am On Oct 27, 2012
A few years ago I was looking for a second car online, I wanted a sports car, and saw this ad where the owner took time to explain what to expect in the car performance. He listed the engine hp, the torque, the cubic inch intake, the take off speed from the block in a quarter mile chase..... he finished by sharing how many championships the race version of this sports car had won. I took time to read this ad several times over to find something fascinating and impressive that will convince me to invest in it. I could find none. So I settled for something else that caught my attention and truly impressed.

....an ad that talks about how in the event of a mechanical failure, a built-in "limp home" feature will overide and reduce engine combustion and output by half to get me home safely.

All human beings, at the base of our nature....in the depth of our spirit and the privacy of inner quietude, move towards one end. That end is a risk-free existence. What is risk? Simply put, risk is "anything unknown" or "anything unrevealed" or "anything hidden" or "anything not understood".

Data talk and statistical numbers are the new protocols for intelligent communication. We throw numbers at people and say "look, the numbers dont lie". We must be careful with the way we handle data. Natural numbers themselves are beneficial to society....but most of the data we throw out as facts cannot be concluded as facts until it has been tested and proven to be a fast calibration of the indices it models.

Take for instance the dials on the dashboard of your car. Those are data. If you just filled up your car at the gas station then you would expect the tank dial to indicate a full tank. Right? This interaction between you and the dashboard is called data analysis, at its most simplistic level. If the dial remains at E then you instantly recognize that a fault exist somewhere and you troubleshoot that error to correct it. By taking a corrective action to fix a fault you have demonstrated discretion. So, dials are aids, like data, to assist humans in making discretions and decisions that keep us safe and live risk-free......they are not meant to replace or substitute our need for decision and discretion that affect lives of our people.

Many air accidents and crashes result from erratic avionics and mis-interpretation of dials by trained pilots. When a pilot flies VR (visual rules), he/she uses the horizon and landscape to fly low altitude using physical visual references to maneuver the airplane. This type of flying is okay for hobby pilots and amateurs. All commercial and professional pilots must obtain IR (instrument rating). In ground school, where a pilot takes simulation training, a headgear with a retractable front visor is attached to the skull. When the visor is lowered it blocks all frontal and peripheral view of the horizon and disables the trainee's ability to independently judge spatial orientation and respond to it. For his or her movement in space the pilot undergoes a training teaching him or her to trust, depend and rely on an entity external to his/her own faculties for relational glide through space. Upon passing the simulation training the pilot becomes intimate and dependent on a set of calibrated electronics......compass, gyroscope, altimeter, speedometer, thermometer...etc to judge height, distance, angle, pitch, yaw, ....and so on.

So during an approach for landing the electronics calculate height and distance and gives the pilot the angle of glide to touch down the plane. There is a dial (corresponding to the airplane nose & wings) that has a X/Y reference of the horizon and this dial must be lined up to the horizontal axis of the azimuth. If its above it, the angle or pitch is too much...if not corrected to the speed and thrust of the engine the plane could stall and result in catastrophy. If the nose and wing dial is below the horinzontal, then the plane is descending off course and if not corrected would land the bird in a farmland or in residential homes instead of a tarmac in an airport and result in an inferno and destruction. The rudder, the wings, the fins, the ailerons....everything on the external surface of an airplane has a dial and reference to guide the pilot for safe take off, cruising and landing.

What happens when a functioning avionics go bad mid flight at 10000 ft asl? This is where the pilot is expected to become self-dependent again and must fly by the " seat of the pants". .......by his natural abilities!

So we must be careful in the way we relate with data and statsical values and the correct interpretation must be derived and applied in a way that softens risk and uplift our society generally.

....data cannot do anything, good or bad, for the human population. Only people have the ability to help or ruin society. Data acts as an aid in the hands of people to carry out this end goal. Whatever the data say, we must not substitute or surrender our responsibility to society to an untested, uncalibrated, unproven model advertised as facts and truths for our people.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by AjanleKoko: 4:40am On Oct 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

LMAO

30% per year for a decade!!!!!! That is magic. Lets not use hypothesis for an indicator for which actual rates exist. Angola has had average GDP growth rates of 11% over the past decade. Over the last decade, Qatar has had the highest average GDP growth rate at 13%. That is a far cry from 30% annualized growth rate over a decade.

Third, the debate is not about GDP or growth rates; it is about management of revenue, provision of essential services, and improving the lives of its citizens. My point is that Nigeria has a bigger economy than Angola, has earned more revenue from a wasting asset, has not fought a war for 27 years as Angola has, and yet Angola is higher than Nigeria in the Human Development Index.

Earning record revenues means jack if it isn't used to improve the lives of citizens.

You're obviously as anti-patriotic as I am patriotic.
Which makes your position untenable as well wink
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Wadeoye(m): 10:22am On Oct 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

In terms of education, Indian schools are ranked higher than Nigerian schools. The Indian Institute of Management is ranked 11th and the Indian School of Business 20th by the Financial Times in the Global MBA rankings. Where were your Nigerian schools?
You conducted a fair assessment but your patriotism wouldn't let you realize that India, for all its problems, is light years ahead of Nigeria. This blinded patriotism is one of the issues in Nigeria. They have nothing to boast of yet they want to be heard. The writer is correct, apart from exporting yeye religion, there isn't a single industry in which Nigeria bests India.

You spoke well man...
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Wadeoye(m): 10:33am On Oct 27, 2012
plaetton: Who says we are exporting religion?
Noooooooooooooo.
To say Nigeria is exporting religion is to say that we are exporting our own religions, like Ifa, etc. No No No.

What Nigeria is doing is that we are making sure that those Africans who have escaped to the Diaspora ,not be allowed to see the light of civilized thought processes.

So the so-called religion we are exporting are just successful attempts to extend and more importantly, to maintain the yolk of ignorance, superstition and fear to our brothers and sisters in the Diaspora. Nothing more.

Interesting...
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Wadeoye(m): 10:42am On Oct 27, 2012
Interesting writeup...

What we see today is not new - Nollywood started it - Fuji musicians, Juju musicians, movies stars, etc. It is all about making money and the wider the audience, the more money you make. Imagine people dropping 10 dollars or 10 pounds each as tith compared to the local churches where all we see is 50 naira, 100 naira tith.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Wadeoye(m): 11:00am On Oct 27, 2012
yinchar:
So that you can kidnap or rob them right.....I have a friend staying In India for the past 3years, and told me he has never i repeat heard about robbery for the past 3years he has been in India, their banks dont have security doors and no police guiding them, and still there is no robbery or any sort.....so lets ask ourselves where did we get it wrong, India dont have any known Natural resources and they are leading the IT and Medical field, even with worshipping lesser gods and deity...I know one thing for sure, its not about what you want people to think you are, its who you really are deep down inside U.....

Lesser gods and diety to you. To them, they are workshiping God and is working for them. You that worship the real God show us what you do with it or how that has changed/improved your country. Nigerians are interesting ignorants...
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Wadeoye(m): 11:21am On Oct 27, 2012
asemota2012: I completely disagree with you on the trash you are writing up there comparing Indian and Nigeria, you can compare better and more developed countries with Nigeria and I will reason with you but not Indian, where are you getting your baseless facts from?
The only area where Indian seems to be ahead of Nigeria is in their Population size and in ICT.
In terms of poverty level, Nigeria is not as poor as Indian.
The number of Indians you find in Nigeria collecting and jostling for the few highly skilled existing jobs cannot be compared to the number of Nigerian you find in Indian or anywhere else.
I will want you to do your research very well before you put up your write up please.

That we have more and more china nationals coming to Nigeria/Africa also means that Nigeria is more economically vibrant than China? I cant see any sense in what you posted above - do you know the population of India? Why wont they go to other countries to look for highly skilled jobs moreso that they have have they have the skill?
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by soreola(f): 6:17am On Nov 14, 2012
I think we need to work together as Nigerians. If today i decide to go to Aso Rock and start a protest would others join? Would anything even happen?

A question I like to ask is what have you done to contribute to a better Nigeria? I can say i've done something but it's so insignificant I consider it nothing. However if 10 million Nigerians did the exact same thing, it would be deemed significant. We need less talking and more doing.

We need less excuses and more specific solutions. I can't tell you that I have a specific solution that will help the entire nation but if we could all put heads together and come up with something then im down.

We need to move from the stage of analyzing the problem to providing and evaluating all possible solutions from local, city-wise issues to the national ones.

A good start would be the education system as those in it stand to gain a foundation for their contributions to society in the future. Start with the children; Do you pay bribes in their presence? etc
-This is just my opinion and I am not saying I know it all... Still have a lot to learn. Based on your knowledge what do you suggest?
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by jamace(m): 3:06pm On Nov 04, 2014
Religion without morality equals zero.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari, Ministers, Wale Tinubu, Dangote, Others To Depart For Saudi Arabia / Reno Omokri: Obi Only Visiting Churches For Votes / Sokoto Deputy Governor, Shagari Loses PDP Governorship Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.