Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft (3557 Views)

Bristow Helicopters Releases Statement On Crashed Aircraft / Embarrassing Way Some Nigerians Boarded An Aircraft Today / Tragedy Averted As Aircraft Tyre Bursts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Pamperme: 6:45pm On Oct 23, 2012
The management of Arik Air and the Ministry of aviation on Tuesday denied the claim in some quarters that a passenger attempted to bomb an aircraft on a flight from Maiduguri to Abuja.

In separate statements from the ministry and Arik Air, they described the alleged incident as a rumour.

Information had gone round the aviation industry that a passenger later identified as Aminu Galadima, who was on board flight W3-812 operated by Arik Air from Maiduguri to Abuja with a Boeing 737-700 NG aircraft and registration number 5N MJE created a scare when he shouted Allah Akbar (God is great) shortly before the aircraft landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

The behaviour of the passenger was said to have created panic among the crew and passengers on board, thinking a suicide bomber was about to bomb the aircraft along with the passengers on board.

The airline, in a statement signed by its media Manager, Ola Banji said it was all rumour without an iota of truth.

He said: “A passenger on board flight W3 812 from Maiduguri to Abuja caused a scare when he started shouting Allah Akbar shortly before the aircraft landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja. The frightened passengers on board the flight became suspicious thinking the man was about to do something sinister.

“All the passengers on board the flight, including the man in question, had all gone through the normal security check at the Maiduguri International Airport and nothing incriminating was found on anyone.”

He said that another round of screening was carried out on all the passengers immediately after the aircraft land without finding anything incriminating on any of the passengers

“However, when the aircraft landed in Abuja, another security check was conducted on the passenger and nothing incriminating was found on him. A further security search was conducted on the operating aircraft, a Boeing 737-700 NG (Next Generation) and no trace of bomb or explosives were found. The aircraft went back to service immediately,” he said.

Similarly, a statement from the Ministry of Aviation and signed by the Special Assistant to the Minister on Media, Joe Obi claimed the alleged bomb on the Arik flight was a hoax.

Mr Obi, who also confirmed that the aircraft landed safely at the Abuja airport and nothing dangerous was found on any passenger or on the aircraft was found s however, disclosed that the passenger had been handed over to security agency at the airport, for further interrogation.
He said: “The plane landed safely at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja at exactly 1253 hrs and the suspect handed over to the SSS at about 1445 hrs where he is currently being interrogated.”

Galadima is mad

The State Security Services (SSS) in a statement signed by its Deputy Director, Public Relations, Marilyn Ogar gave a clearer picture of what happened before, during and after the bomb scare.

She said: “this is a brief highlight of the incident that occurred on the Arik Air flight from Maiduguri to Abuja.

“On Friday, 19th October, 2012, Wife of the SSG to the Borno State Government, Hajia Yachilla JIDDA, travelled to Maiduguri in company of one Aminu S. GALADIMA, an interior decorator based in Abuja to do some interior decoration work. On arrival in Maiduguri, he was lodged at Greenland Hotel. During the course of his stay, he exhibited unusual behaviour by smashing a window, and ended up with lacerations on his hands.

“The SSG was contacted, and in collaboration with the Hotel management, subject was taken to Atal Hospital, also in Maiduguri, where he received treatment. His family in Abuja was contacted and they gave confirmation that GALADIMA has been mentally unstable. In addition, his elder brother who lives in the UK was contacted and he requested that subject be returned to Abuja for medical attention.

“On Sunday, 21st October, 2012, he was taken to the airport to be returned to Abuja, but missed the flight. However, the Airport management was informed of his state of health, and they advised that whenever his return is scheduled, the management should be notified. Unfortunately, when GALADIMA was taken to the Airport on 23rd October for his return trip, the management of the Airport was not informed, and 10 minutes into the flight, due to slight turbulence, his condition was triggered off. Meanwhile, GALADIMA is in the custody of security forces.”

Ms Ogar said the clarification is necessary in order to dispel the unfounded rumours concerning the flight.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/23/airline-aviation-ministry-sss-debunk-reports-of-bomber-in-arik-air-flight/
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 23, 2012
I would like to hear directly from one of the passengers on board the flight.
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Nasri100(m): 11:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
I can imagine if i was inside that plane when that man shouted....
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 23, 2012
E be like say the otondo just enter plane for the first time! Aboki wey dey enter plane.Lol! grin
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Nobody: 12:26am On Oct 24, 2012
I wish they can do an aircraft that the window can be opened airborne.

Walai,if I were there,I would've opened the window,and jumped out,when the guy shouted.

I would rather kill myself,than commit suicide..
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by alaoeri: 12:50am On Oct 24, 2012
Why 'll someone bliv the news for first instance without credible source, now Arik denying the news via channels some are still doubting mstcheeeeeeew.
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by auwal87(m): 2:07am On Oct 24, 2012
Yomieluv: I wish they can do an aircraft that the window can be opened airborne.

Walai,if I were there,I would've opened the window,and jumped out,when the guy shouted.

I would rather kill myself,than commit suicide..

ROTFL @ the bolded.
You rather kill yourself than commit suicide?? cheesy cheesy
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by ROCKJ1(m): 6:01am On Oct 24, 2012
...so who do we believe?
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by omenziate(m): 6:14am On Oct 24, 2012
Would rather get first hand news from someone dat boarded d flight. I don't believe, Arik air, Ms Ogar or stella oduah.
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by kenbee(f): 7:03am On Oct 24, 2012
virtuoso01: I would like to hear directly from one of the passengers on board the flight.
Na mad man be that oh as i hear!
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by aieromon(m): 7:33am On Oct 24, 2012
Let's wait for the passengers report and not this "mentally unstable" crap.
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 24, 2012
this arik airliners are soon going to be the new national carriers,,,this only happens in nigeria cool
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by size38: 8:14am On Oct 24, 2012
Dont blame those who were scared because "Allah Akubar" is always a language for bombers and killers in northern nigeria
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 24, 2012
size38: Dont blame those who were scared because "Allah Akubar" is always a language for bombers and killers in northern nigeria
This is outrageous. The slogan used has been used by violent protesters, flag burners and war mongers in middle east, suicide bombers and even killers. Does it mean that the slogan mean something bad,kind of an awakening to fight? I also hear the slogan repeated by people praying in religious house. Pls what does it mean?
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Beaf1: 9:54am On Oct 24, 2012
^
It means Allah (God) is great.
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by maxisioro: 10:14am On Oct 24, 2012
Ala akba = bomb about to go off. If not so why are people killed anything the announcement is made?
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by caye(m): 11:01am On Oct 24, 2012
Imagine these 3 different scenarios: 1. The story is a complete fabrication (i.e. No one shouted Allah Akbar or tried to blow the plane). 2. The incident happened, but the man in question is certified mentally unstable. 3. The incident happened, some passengers got hold of the man, the man was arrested, the man was detained by the SSS; but in order to prevent loss of revenue to the airlines due to massive fear and paranoire , the story was quickly debunked as: totally false or that the man is a certified mentally ill person. Meanwhile, the 'government people' will wise up and tell their family members that the Boko war is entering a new phrase, so be wise, sharp and keep a top eye open. I leave the readers to judge, as I could be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 24, 2012
Honestly if I was inside that plane, with the kind of films and TV series like" 24" wey I don watch. I for don collapse before the guy go do anything o.for a whole year no more plane.
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by kokosheen(m): 8:31pm On Oct 24, 2012
I might sound like a conspiracy theorist, but what the heck, this is naija where anything can and will happen.

My take is that there was an attempt, otherwise the guy would have been let go if they actually had prior contact with him as a (sic) Madman. What the SS (i.e. FGN) in connivance with ArikAir are trying to do is to manage information on the incident, thereby defeat the aim of the Terrorist. Of course the aim of the terrorist is for you & I to forgo air travel, thereby furthering their national destabilization agenda.

Like I wrote earlier, reads like conspiracy theory but my opinion.
Re: Arik Debunk Reports Of Bomber In Its Aircraft by speeder(m): 10:20pm On Oct 24, 2012
Anywhere way dis abokis shout there God name, people dey fear. Why?

(1) (Reply)

Studying and Living in Kazakhstan. / Top 10 Tallest Buildings In The World With (pics) / 12 Years A Slave? Nah! More Like 18 Years! The Child Support/ Alimony Issue!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.