Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,740 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? (5746 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by iykofias(m): 10:41am On Oct 25, 2012
this is one question that always ponders my mind.

why should a parent after giving birth to children will finger just one out of the rest as his/her favourite.

The need of this so called 'favourite' is met rapidly even if it has to be at the expense of others.

my question is: as a parent should the idea of having a favourite even pop up at all?

3 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by k2039: 10:49am On Oct 25, 2012
Its not right,but I doubt if any parent can help not having a favorite.Even Jesus had a favorite disciple.

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by iykofias(m): 10:59am On Oct 25, 2012
k2039: Its not right,but I doubt if any parent can help not having a favorite.Even Jesus had a favorite disciple.
isn't dat puttin others at a hurtful corner?
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 25, 2012
That's the burden you carry in you for the rest of your life and not say it out. Of course you always have your fav even if its .1% out if the 100%.

I asked my MIL that question and she's still mute till now .
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 25, 2012
lol, I ask my mum and dad this question so many times and thier answer is still the same; they have no favorite.

I've come to believe them though as I've often heard ppl say one has to have a favorite sibling.

And the truth is I love my siblings equally, no favorite!

Even if they do hv a favorite, I give them kudos for doing a good job @ hiding it.

To answer the op's question, NO!!
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Super1759: 11:26am On Oct 25, 2012
its a normal thing,
Bible decribed Jesus as the begotten son of God.
Joseph was the begotten son of isaac
Even in our present days, we happen to be close to some people more. That parents gave birth to them doesn't mean that they are not loved, but naturally,there is this attached string between mother and her sons,father and his daughters.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by DeGenius3(m): 11:28am On Oct 25, 2012
it is not right to have a favorite child among children.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 25, 2012
I've also heard parents say they prayed not to have a favorite, and that's why they don't
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Clemzy16(m): 11:32am On Oct 25, 2012
It's definately not a good idea. But most parents have their "favourite" child in quote which i think will encourage favourism amongst the others. Which also makes parents take-side against the other children in times of dispute. It's a bad thing and shouldn't be encouraged. All children despite facial appearance or physically challenged should be treated equally.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by acidtalk: 11:33am On Oct 25, 2012
The issue of having a favorite child is unavoidable. It is Natural.

But the issue of openly displaying it is why their is a broken family ties amongst siblings today.

This have led to siblings now relating like total strangers.

Some parents took the favorism to the peak and it has led to the collapse of love and unity amongst siblings today.

9 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by awesomet1(m): 11:33am On Oct 25, 2012
[size=38pt]NO[/size]

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by DarryOsh(m): 11:34am On Oct 25, 2012
lets face it its inevitable sometimes to av a favourite. Afterall, we are humans. but good parents do am very good job of hiding it. One thing that i av come to realise is that the mummy's or daddy's pet are not neccessarily the favourite. I pray dat i dont av a favourite among my kids, though. And the fact that one child is the favourite doesnt mean he is loved more than the rest. NO!it just means the parent has a soft spot for the child
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by ektbear: 11:35am On Oct 25, 2012
Shollypopz: lol, I ask my mun and dad this question so many times and thier answer is still the same; they have no favorite.

They are lying grin

6 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by martyns303(m): 11:36am On Oct 25, 2012
Parents saying they love their children equally is a big fat lie. Truth is each child is different with different personality, and any parent can't help but appreciate the one with better personality, that doesn't mean they don't love the others. They just appreciate one more. Its impossible to love all of them equally, its like a guy saying he loves 3 of his GF equally, its like a girl saying all her shoes are her Fav.

5 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by icedpope(m): 11:37am On Oct 25, 2012
Its normal..... D same way teachers du have a fav pupil, like 4 ♍Ƹ̴, ℓ̊ have a fav sibling nd hez my yunger bro. Ŧђª†̥ doesn't mean ℓ̊ hate others. Bck †Φ d parent issue, its only normal. They can't help It̶̲̥̅̊. So †Φ say
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by nodullin(m): 11:38am On Oct 25, 2012
Life in itself gives us options in which we make choices..
A parent cannot just help but ve a favorite cos all kids can't act in same way..
We ve a favorite shoe.. Shirt.. Teacher.. Coleague.. Friend.. We are even either closer 2 our mum or dad..

@0p: its just normal 2 ve a favorite:::
Poor me; I'm not d favorite ~~
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by fairygeh(f): 11:38am On Oct 25, 2012
It is extremely wrong
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by shadrach77: 11:38am On Oct 25, 2012
you can, but you should not show it or else it will cause problems between the kids as in the case of the biblical jacob and esau wink wink wink
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by tonym1(m): 11:42am On Oct 25, 2012
NO BECAUSE IT CAUSES DIVISION AMONG THE REST
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 25, 2012
ekt_bear:

They are lying grin
I choose to believe them! angry angry

And even if they do hv a favorite, (cry cry) they do not show it @ all.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Orikinla(m): 11:47am On Oct 25, 2012
No.

My parents made me their favourite, but it cost me a lot in the long run.
My elder brother openly attacked them.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by bukatyne(f): 11:48am On Oct 25, 2012
no dullin: Life in itself gives us options in which we make choices..
A parent cannot just help but ve a favorite cos all kids can't act in same way..
We ve a favorite shoe.. Shirt.. Teacher.. Coleague.. Friend.. We are even either closer 2 our mum or dad..

@0p: its just normal 2 ve a favorite:::
Poor me; I'm not d favorite ~~
sorry
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 25, 2012
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by ATMC(f): 11:50am On Oct 25, 2012
@op d ideal answer is NO
D real answer is YES
I'm my dad's favourite even though he's never said it openly but his reactions to my actions speaks volume! I don't act like i know, though sometimes i inevitably take advantage of dt when i need to do certain things. Meanwhile while growing i could ask my anything at all but my siblings refrain from certain things.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by kunletech: 11:51am On Oct 25, 2012
acidtalk: The issue of having a favorite child is unavoidable. It is Natural.

But the issue of openly displaying it is why their is a broken family ties amongst siblings today.

This have led to siblings now relating like total strangers.

Some parents took the favorism to the peak and it has led to the collapse of love and unity amongst siblings today.

Good comment, favourite is unavoidable, but parent should not show it out for others to know.

Once more, i like your comment.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by saintvc(m): 11:56am On Oct 25, 2012
U cant serve 2 masters witout lovin one above d other. EVEN JESUS HAD A FAVORITE DISCIPLE. every parent has a favorite child.

It is best not to show it to avoid jelousy and envy
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 25, 2012
apocalypse: You will have a favorite if you believe it is the norm , no it is not right.
You speak sense my brother, you speak sense!!
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by pecopeco: 12:12pm On Oct 25, 2012
iykofias: this is one question that always ponders my mind.

why should a parent after giving birth to children will finger just one out of the rest as his/her favourite.

The need of this so called 'favourite' is met rapidly even if it has to be at the expense of others.

my question is: as a parent should the idea of having a favourite even pop up at all?
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by greatgod2012(f): 12:14pm On Oct 25, 2012
Yes, its natural, lets not deceive ourselves we are all humans, but its very wrong for parents to let it be obvious among them, its not even right to let d favourite child know he is d favourite, he will surely abuse it,or tell others. This issue requires WISDOM,if for example, u have 2 kids,one behaves as expected and d other seems to be stubborn, there is no way u will not like d well-behaved child than d other, but a wise parent will not let it show,,its just something u know within u.
D effects of letting it show are:
1. Other siblings will hate d favourite one, and if care is not taken, it may tear d family apart,eventually.
2.d favourite child may start to misbehave, believing dt "afterall, im d favourite, they cant do anything to me"thereby leading to over-pampering and if care is not taken to untimely destructn
3. It may affect d sense of reasoning and judgement of d parent,because he/she will want to judge in favour of d favourite.

**More coming, i need to attend to smthing more urgent now**
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 25, 2012
The answer is A BIG NO and TOTALLY WRONG. When parents' do this, they end up creating dis-unity, hatred and jealousy amongst their kids.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by yuzedo: 12:25pm On Oct 25, 2012
EVERY parent has favorite kids.. And secretly, they have worst kid(s) they wish they used condom for! grin

Most parents deny, and talk about loving every one equally.. IRO NLA! You can never love different humans equally.

In my family, we know our parents' favorites.. Does it affect us adversely? No. Are we bothered? No. Why? Because we are not in doubt of the overall love our parents have for all of us AND we love our selves.

If it bothers you, ask yourself: Can you be/do what that favorite has done to merit his/her privileged position of affection?

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by walexy14(m): 12:29pm On Oct 25, 2012
Capital NO,he shd jus show D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ equal love

(1) (2) (Reply)

Singles And Married Whats Your Biggest Fear In Marriage. / Wife Keeps Ex Boyfriend Phone Number / Dwarfs Are Beautiful, See Lovely Pictures Of Dwarfs And Their Families

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.