Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,685 members, 7,801,976 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? (6019 Views)

Photo: Can This Kind Of Relationship Exist Again In This World? / Pampering Of Kids; Is It True Love For Kids Or Misconception Of Love? / Help My Neighbor, Her Husband Beats Her Mercilessly And Threatens To Kill Her. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by acidtalk: 7:11pm On Oct 25, 2012
Does The LOVE For Our Neighbor Still Exist?

While growing up, you could hardly tell who were siblings and who were not while staring amongst children within the same neighborhood playing.

Children then ate, drank, played, went to school, church or Mosque together and trusted each other to the extreme.

It is a usual thing to find people from the 50s up to late 80s to admit that their best friends even in old age are their childhood friends. Usually their neighbor or school mate.

When a neighbors's child does something wrong, the parents around never waited for the child's parents to come before disciplining the child and also even discipline the such right in fronts of his/her parents.

Looking back in time, things have deteriorated really bad. It is now a norm for neighbors not to set eyes on themselves for even 3 months straight. Most neighbors even when they see their neighbor's child doing bad or in some kind of danger turn their faces away in the "I don't care" manner.

Where did things go wrong and how did it get this bad?

Because even the Holy books commented on the 'Unity' of the neighbors.

While the Bible said : Love thy Neighbor as thy self.

The Quran said : The Best of Neighbors are those whose Neighbors feel safe around them.

Can we ever bring the good old days of the "Neighborly Love"?

3 Likes

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by 3kay945(m): 8:42pm On Oct 25, 2012
love eroded the society because the government imposed on them or chosen failed them.
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by acidtalk: 10:16pm On Oct 25, 2012
Do you think the government needs to be blamed for this or rather our religious leaders who stopped preaching the Love for the neighnor.

1 Like

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by julioralph(m): 10:21pm On Oct 25, 2012
LOVE UR NEIGHBORS, BUT TRUST NONE. wink

1 Like

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by acidtalk: 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2012
But people don't even do any. They neither love nor trust this days.
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by minute(f): 11:55pm On Oct 25, 2012
Neighbor on one side is a fundamentalist Christian who has nothing good to say, nor has

any charity to offer any neighbor who is NOT of the same fundamentalist mindset. Mrs.

Neighbor takes great delight in sticking her head out the door with a bullhorn and letting

the whole neighborhood know that my other neighbor, a gay man, is doomed to hell for his

wickedness,every times he walks past her house.

Based on that, I'd say not a chance.
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by acidtalk: 12:05am On Oct 26, 2012
Why?
What happened to the good old days of having wonderful rapport with our neighbors?
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by acidtalk: 7:52am On Oct 26, 2012
Will you assist your neighbot prepare their sallah ram?
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Afrocatalyst: 9:52am On Oct 26, 2012
It still exists but not as much as it used to be, cos now, its all man for himself as against all for one before.
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by seedord247(m): 9:57am On Oct 26, 2012
Chaii...feel like crying... cry

OP made me remember those dayz in early 90's.. I never knew what they call tribe until i get to junior school. My frnds and i speak the same language, even thou they are not yoruba..... We all live like family back then.

1 Like

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Afrocatalyst: 9:58am On Oct 26, 2012
[quote author=acidtalk]Do you think the government needs to be blamed for this or rather our religious leaders who stopped preaching the Love for the neighnor.[/quote
it is a three way thing. First, ourselves cos we have conscience to choose right or wrong. Second, our religious leaders cos we entrust the building up of our faith to them but they keep disappointing us, and third, our leaders and politicians for not implementing the right policies that encourage societal love. But 70% of the blame goes to all of us cos no man should decide our lives for us.

2 Likes

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 26, 2012
it still exist in face me i face u house. Depend on where u stay.
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by GentleNaaz(m): 10:03am On Oct 26, 2012
People no longer luv dia neigbor as thmself. Ministries don mk people dy fear dia neigbor die. Dy blv evry neigbor na enemy of progress. Except a dude dat hs a female neigbor cos he wl c it as an advantage 2 Bleep wt her.
2. No body wants 2 c u flog hs/ha child despite wat, dy cal it molestation
3. People no longer feel safe 2 go 2 dia home town coss dia s always a belief dat dia r forces from ur kins men tending 2 downtrud u, esp ur uncles n aunties

1 Like

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by nosagold(m): 10:03am On Oct 26, 2012
Chai! I remember those days wen every family in my compund wud gather together βξ talking, gisting, laughing together, I was a kid then, ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ nd all my cousins eat in †ђξ same plate, drink together ng go Ť☺ d village river Ť☺ swim
ßŮϯ nw, tory don change, juju/poisoning don enter, families dey fear other families, no love again, no trust
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by inspirenet: 10:04am On Oct 26, 2012
seedord247: Chaii...feel like crying... cry

OP made me remember those dayz in early 90's.. I never knew what they call tribe until i get to junior school. My frnds and i speak the same language, even thou they are not yoruba..... We all live like family back then.

smiley Cheer up
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by chuckdee4(m): 10:10am On Oct 26, 2012
If any one of you had the neighbour i had growing up, it would have killed your believe in love thy neighbour, some people are just HORRIBLE by nature

1 Like

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Busybody2(f): 10:14am On Oct 26, 2012
nosa gold: Chai! I remember those days wen every family in my compund wud gather together βξ talking, gisting, laughing together, I was a kid then, ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ nd all my cousins eat in †ђξ same plate, drink together ng go Ť☺ d village river Ť☺ swim
ßŮϯ nw, tory don change, juju/poisoning don enter, families dey fear other families, no love again, no trust

seedord247: Chaii...feel like crying... cry

Warm memories...

Wow, now all there is left is doggone gone to the dogs. . . Its now a dog eat dog world. . . Shame
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 26, 2012
It doesn't oh! Life has turned us into 'rushians',rushing to success,wealth,fame,power.no one gives a damn abt his neighbour. Its nw every1 to his own.MYB has become the common phrase...buh,i aint surprised.it is written 'in the last days,the love of most will grow cold'
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by kokolet007(f): 10:19am On Oct 26, 2012
Yes we still do dat We Jehovah's witness are teach to demonstrate it by showing love to our neighbor,leaving behind our personal things and visit our neighbor nd talk to them about God and his promise towards all humans
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by seedord247(m): 10:20am On Oct 26, 2012
inspirenet:

smiley Cheer up

Thank you. sad

Lemme add more...

I remember ewa ibeji (beans to remember twins bday) we'll eat from the same tray.

I remember the yearly indi-igbo christmas celebration from my igbo frnds....

I always pray for weekend to come bcus of akpan mom food... She's the best at that time. Whenever we learn she's cooking we all gather to help her so that we can have our share.

I remember this monthly sanitation.... After we are done cleaning the gotta, we'd be given 1 naira each by papa joseph.....

Gone are those dayz. shocked

3 Likes

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Gwekzy: 10:23am On Oct 26, 2012
No..
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 26, 2012
No, with insecurity came the 'Fence and Gateman' mentality. The 'Fence & Gateman' syndrome has been buried in our psyche, registered on our DNA and separated neighbors from each. Kids grow up loving their pets than their neighbors and looking with scorn at the rest of the world. The country we live in is largely filled with intimacy.u.a.l lust and not neighborly love. We only smile at our neighbors wife, just to find a way to fucck them when their husbands jet out of the country. Even in the villages, kidnapping, communal fights and ritual killings, a post-cursor of poverty are now the order of the days. So, 'Trust No One' is the popular slogan. "Love your neighbor' slogan was abolished when IBB came into power with wholesale introduction of khaki(ed) and khaki-less mafia insecurity and died when Abacha made life miserable for freedom. When Freedom died, the gates and fences sprang up; 'Love your neighbor' was thrown out of the gates and aboki gatemen man the gates against fear of the unknown and the known.

3 Likes

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 26, 2012
When the people that ought to imbibe it on the sub-mind of the people have rather been preaching prosperity, MFM made people believe that everybody is your enemy,and cautious of everybody.

Nairaland aint helping matter,tribalistic post always made the headlines,making every tribe seems as superior to the other.

3 Likes

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by speeder(m): 10:27am On Oct 26, 2012
3kay945: love eroded the society because the government imposed on them or chosen failed them.
u b mumu o
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 26, 2012
When we're enclosed in Tall Fences and Huge Black gates, do we even know our neighbors? Talkless of loving them? undecided
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by freebreezeyz(m): 10:53am On Oct 26, 2012
Its actually a sad situation now...Even d so called 'prayer warriors' of some churches don't see their neighbor eye to eye!!Very sad indeed!!! cry
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by Detonatorrex(m): 10:53am On Oct 26, 2012
ofcourse it does..that's what makes us concerned about the ALUU 4..RIP brothers.
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by k10: 10:54am On Oct 26, 2012
at time went on, we started to become too westernised...
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by freecocoa(f): 11:00am On Oct 26, 2012
Does one have to eat together with a neighbor before e go mean say there's love between them? If you want to see children running around and housewives doing amebo go to the ghettos, the people in highbrow areas are a bit busy chasing money and forming butty so they practically have no time for such, they usually do their own form of showing love and high class gossip at their cocktail parties.

1 Like

Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by hassymo5(m): 11:04am On Oct 26, 2012
Love for Neigbour is long gone is dis country,, gone are they days when we eat sallah and christmas food together,, gone are dose days we visit each other on those occassions,, now we hardly visit thinking your muslim/christain friend will kill you....love for neighbour is gone!!!!
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by seedord247(m): 11:08am On Oct 26, 2012
freecocoa: Does one have to eat together with a neighbor before e go mean say there's love between them? If you want to see children running around and housewives doing amebo go to the ghettos, the people in highbrow areas are a bit busy chasing money and forming butty so they practically have no time for such, they usually do their own form of showing love and high class gossip at their cocktail parties.

Talking from experience... Classic ghettorian grin
Re: Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? by betran65: 11:10am On Oct 26, 2012
Yes it exist in Nigeria especially d Aluu community...mtcheeew time is coming wen secondary sch kids wld av their pistol cos dey no longer rely on d government

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Husband Starved Me Sexually For 2 Years / Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-pin(s) To Their Clothes/ Wears? / I'm Having Serious Issues With My Step Dad Please Advice Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.