Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,019 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG (11113 Views)

Boko Haram Destroys Nigerian Military Base; 107 Troops MIA - Dailymail UK / El-rufai Donates 107 Patrol Vehicles, Security Gadgets To Kaduna Police. Photos / Boko Haram Kills 107 In Zamfara, Potiskum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by scopusng(m): 7:26am On Oct 26, 2012
Lagos State Government said no fewer than 619 people were either killed or seriously injured in commercial motorcycle accidents across the state in the last two years.

The government explained that the figure was from the state Traffic Management Authority’s record.

A statement by the Special Adviser to Lagos State Governor on Media, Mr. Hakeem Bello, added that records from the Planning and Research Department of LASTMA showed that out of the number, 107 people died while 512 sustained serious injuries as a result of the accidents.

It said those who died in the two years were 71 males and 36 females.

The statement read in part, “Details of the accidents between January 2011 and October 2012 further revealed that a total of 442 commercial motorcycles, popularly called okada, were involved in accidents across the state during the period out of which 271 occurred in 2011 while 171 occurred in 2012.

“Also according to the records, in 2011 alone, 47 were killed and 98 others sustained serious injuries while from January 2012 to date 63 people have been killed while 59 others sustained serious injuries.”

The government added that police records showed that a total of 513 fatal accidents recorded in the state in the last two years were caused by okada operators.

According to the record, out of this number 305 happened between January and December 2011 while 208 of the fatal accidents happened between January and June 2012.

“The record also revealed that of the 30 armed robbery incidents recorded in the state between the months of July and September this year, 22 of them involved the use of commercial motorcycles. Details, according to the record, show that of eight robberies that occurred in July, seven involved the use of okada while okada was also used in 10 out of 14 robberies in September and in five out of eight robberies in August,” the statement said.

It added that the state government promulgated the Lagos Road Traffic Law to address some of the security challenges by restricting operators of commercial motorcycles to certain areas in the metropolis among other reasons.

The statement said government only restricted okada operations to some areas to regulate traffic and reduce avoidable accidents and loss of life on roads.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/okada-accidents-killed-107-in-two-years-lasg/

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by persistenc(m): 7:42am On Oct 26, 2012
Mtcheww and dana air wiped out hw many in a day ? Silly excuse to deprive them of their livelyhood Expectn increase in all of forms of violence n robbery even in broad daylight.Fingers crossed

12 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by scopusng(m): 7:44am On Oct 26, 2012
What a way to go this morning.Fashola you have my support.Your responsibility is to safeguard life and property.

9 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by scopusng(m): 7:51am On Oct 26, 2012
persistenc: Mtcheww and dana air wiped out hw many in day ? Silly excuse to deprive of their livelyhood Expect increase in of forms of robbery even in broad daylight.Fingers crossed

Shut up my friend,what lively hood.It could be your turn.I guess if you have had a relation that had died from bike accident I know you won't be naive to talk about lively hood.Go to Abuja,Portharcourt also Akwa Ibom bike are banned and nothing happened. Una see Fashola finish.

9 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Ibangap(m): 9:02am On Oct 26, 2012
And how many hav died of infant mortality, cholera,malaria nd all other diseases d government has failed 2 curb or control?

12 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 26, 2012
Ibanga p: And how many hav died of infant mortality, cholera,malaria nd all other diseases d government has failed 2 curb or control?
Sho ni opolo sha?

4 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by nduchucks: 9:04am On Oct 26, 2012
May I also inform LASG that the lack of maintenance of many state roads killed 1,107 people in one year? mumus

20 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by mcevans1(m): 9:07am On Oct 26, 2012
ndu_chucks: May I also inform LASG that the lack of maintenance of many state roads killed 1,107 people in one year? mumus

Pls tell them!

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 26, 2012
ndu_chucks: May I also inform LASG that the lack of maintenance of many state roads killed 1,107 people in one year? mumus
Na u be no1 mumu. For where u get ur own result . Prove it.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 26, 2012
And vehicle accidents killed how many? And how many kidnappings and armed robberies were carried out with vehicles in the same period? How many accidents were caused SOLELY by poor roads and potholes all over the state? These people are oafs of the highest order. It's a crying shame that these re.t.a.rds are allowed to lead us.

5 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 26, 2012
God himself can't please human so leave fashola alone to do his work.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by inspirenet: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: God himself can't please human so leave fashola alone to do his work.

undecided
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by nduchucks: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: Na u be no1 mumu. For where u get ur own result . Prove it.

Why don't you ask LASG to provide you with the accurate number since you have more confidence in their numbers? I actually believe that my numbers are on the low side, don't be surprised if the authorities give you a higher number.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by fizeul(m): 9:14am On Oct 26, 2012
107 dead.. Hmmm.. So, how about the number of broken legs, bruised body, death scare trauma and others?? If i have witnessed several of those, i wonder what the total will be.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by crackhouse(m): 9:15am On Oct 26, 2012
Carry go jare
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 26, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Why don't you ask LASG to provide you with the accurate number since you have more confidence in their numbers? I actually believe that my numbers are on the low side, don't be surprised if the authorities give you a higher number.
Make i give u direction as u go take reach alausa?

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Femsyn(m): 9:19am On Oct 26, 2012
How do u quantify the atrocities committed by okada men based on numbers?? I see someone relating the situation to plane crashes, malaria, bad roads etc; are u saying these should also be banned?
My major bone of contention is d govt not providing another means of livelihood to manage this potential catastrophe dat has been set loose.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Super1759: 9:21am On Oct 26, 2012
give a rat a name and hang it, that is what our gov is good at. Obviously crime rate will be at increase geometrically
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 26, 2012
let us learn to see the good sides of certain policies rather than seeing the tiny negative side.
fashola has my support on this one. the ban is not a total ban. it is just a restriction of okadas from plying certain road and route such as express ways. imagine yourself taking okada from oshodi to apapa or from ikeja to obalende. imagine the risk. people should just learn to use their heads.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Odunnu: 9:23am On Oct 26, 2012
Only? Your records keeping is poor!
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 26, 2012
The problem we are having in Nigeria is that we nigeria fail to develop other state like lagos. Lets try to develop other state. When u get to develop country its not like that.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 26, 2012
rafhell: let us learn to see the good sides of certain policies rather than seeing the tiny negative side.
fashola has my support on this one. the ban is not a total ban. it is just a restriction of okadas from plying certain road and route such as express ways. imagine yourself taking okada from oshodi to apapa or from ikeja to obalende. imagine the risk. people should just learn to use their heads.
God bless u.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 26, 2012
besides, i also think there are too many okada riders in lagos. many of them come from as far as chad and niger republic. the sooner we start curbing this unnecessary emigration, the better.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 26, 2012
What about the countless people who died of starvation, bad roads, lack of housing and bad health?

Abeg dem no get excuse. A government that can't solve people's problems shouldn't add to them.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by GentleNaaz(m): 9:28am On Oct 26, 2012
Nw d reason n benefit of okada ban hs bn unveild n well understud by atleast an average nigerian. But didnt fashola knw ds wn he ws campaignin wt okada riders? Or he found out after he hs won d election? Govt. Shud knw hw 2 mk lif easy 4 dose okada men
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by benzion72(m): 9:29am On Oct 26, 2012
Intelligent people. Hope Fashola will accept once and for all that he is wrong. Why did he not bring all these fake statistic before the ban. This is begin the question. It is so sure A CN is dead and buried with all these anti people policies.
This is also against the basic rule of logic. All okada riders are criminal Kunle is an okada rider so he is a criminal. That is hasty generalization
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 26, 2012
Abeg, labour party dey Lagos?

2 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 26, 2012
jassie: What about the countless people who died of starvation, bad roads, lack of housing and bad health?

Abeg dem no get excuse. A government that can't solve people's problems shouldn't add to them.

you be olodo. how is what you are blabbing correlate with what is on ground. we are talking about public safety and human life.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 26, 2012
rafhell:

you be olodo. how is what you are blabbing correlate with what is on ground. we are talking about public safety and human life.

And what i spoke about has nothing to do with human lives? Which is more important? Good roads or absence of okada.

I think you're a combo of Stevie Wonder + a beauty of illiteracy. Ode!
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by salafiyy: 9:34am On Oct 26, 2012
they want to use this as an excuse to justify their evil...make dem worry na swear go them one by one
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by salafiyy: 9:34am On Oct 26, 2012
they want to use this as an excuse to justify their evil...make dem no worry na swear go kill'em one by one
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 26, 2012
benzion72: Intelligent people. Hope Fashola will accept once and for all that he is wrong. Why did he not bring all these fake statistic before the ban. This is begin the question. It is so sure A CN is dead and buried with all these anti people policies.
This is also against the basic rule of logic. All okada riders are criminal Kunle is an okada rider so he is a criminal. That is hasty generalization
HOW CAN U SAY WHAT FASHOLA DID IS ANTI PEOPLE POLICY? MUST YOU LIVE AND WORK IN LAGOS? HE ONLY SAID OKADA SHOULDN'T PLY SOME ROAD. WHAT DO U HAVE TO SAY TO OTHER STATE IN NIGERIA THAT BAN THE USE OF OKADA COMPLETELY?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wike Donates 20 Patrol Vans, Bulletproof Vests And Helmets To Police / Jonathan Has No Intention To Probe Obasanjo / Fani-kayode Meets Bail Conditions; Awaits EFCC To Verify, Release Him.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.