Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG (11117 Views)

Boko Haram Destroys Nigerian Military Base; 107 Troops MIA - Dailymail UK / El-rufai Donates 107 Patrol Vehicles, Security Gadgets To Kaduna Police. Photos / Boko Haram Kills 107 In Zamfara, Potiskum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by chochoman: 10:26am On Oct 26, 2012
scopusng: Lagos State Government said no fewer than 619 people were either killed or seriously injured in commercial motorcycle accidents across the state in the last two years.

The government explained that the figure was from the state Traffic Management Authority’s record.

A statement by the Special Adviser to Lagos State Governor on Media, Mr. Hakeem Bello, added that records from the Planning and Research Department of LASTMA showed that out of the number, 107 people died while 512 sustained serious injuries as a result of the accidents.

It said those who died in the two years were 71 males and 36 females.

The statement read in part, “Details of the accidents between January 2011 and October 2012 further revealed that a total of 442 commercial motorcycles, popularly called okada, were involved in accidents across the state during the period out of which 271 occurred in 2011 while 171 occurred in 2012.

“Also according to the records, in 2011 alone, 47 were killed and 98 others sustained serious injuries while from January 2012 to date 63 people have been killed while 59 others sustained serious injuries.”

The government added that police records showed that a total of 513 fatal accidents recorded in the state in the last two years were caused by okada operators.

According to the record, out of this number 305 happened between January and December 2011 while 208 of the fatal accidents happened between January and June 2012.

“The record also revealed that of the 30 armed robbery incidents recorded in the state between the months of July and September this year, 22 of them involved the use of commercial motorcycles. Details, according to the record, show that of eight robberies that occurred in July, seven involved the use of okada while okada was also used in 10 out of 14 robberies in September and in five out of eight robberies in August,” the statement said.

It added that the state government promulgated the Lagos Road Traffic Law to address some of the security challenges by restricting operators of commercial motorcycles to certain areas in the metropolis among other reasons.

The statement said government only restricted okada operations to some areas to regulate traffic and reduce avoidable accidents and loss of life on roads.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/okada-accidents-killed-107-in-two-years-lasg/
Okay,but how many died from car accidents and air mishaps.And have we banned air travel and use of cars?That mode of transportation should be regulated and not done away with.Doing that is like throwing away the babay with the bath water.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 26, 2012
Ariyke: Come to lagos and see hw many will be jobless id okada is totaly banned
am still saying it, must everybody live and work in lagos?

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by nex(m): 10:27am On Oct 26, 2012
Lagos State Government has released data from the records of the "Planning and Research Department of LASTMA" showing a total of 107 deaths from Okada related accidents all over Lagos state in the past 2 years.

This was how Fashola painted Doctors black to skim off their salaries earlier.
This was how Fashola demonised Makoko residents to strip them of their land.
This same technique is what he wants to apply in ridding thousands of entrepreneurial Okada riders of their livelihood.

IN 1 DAY, A SINGLE PLANE CRASHED AND KILLED 190 PEOPLE, INCLUDING ITS 153 PASSENGERS. WHY DIDN'T FASHOLA BAN PLANES IN NIGERIA?!

The governor has obviously decided to bring out the Gaddafi in him. How can a man, a lawyer, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria at that, be running a state as if it were an inheritance from his father? Is the Lagos state governor now self-employed that he will wake up and unleash whatever nightmare he had on the citizenry?

Where is it stated in the Lagos Traffic Law that offenders' vehicles will be crushed? 3,000 Motorcycles vandalized by the state government. Where has such been heard of? If people commit fine-able offences, it is okay to confiscate their property till they can pay the fine. If they cannot pay the fine, the government can auction the confiscated property. But how do you justify the State consciously vaporizing N240,000,000 worth of legal investment by the poor masses?! HOW?!

This same man was doling out Okada helmets to riders during his election campaign period. Was it his plan that they used the helmets to trek safely? Governor Fashola had better fall back in line before he incurs the wrath of the people. HE IS OUR PUBLIC SERVANT! HE SHOULD ACT IT!

3 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Quod: 10:28am On Oct 26, 2012
benzion72: Intelligent people. Hope Fashola will accept once and for all that he is wrong. Why did he not bring all these fake statistic before the ban. This is begin the question. It is so sure A CN is dead and buried with all these anti people policies.
This is also against the basic rule of logic. All okada riders are criminal Kunle is an okada rider so he is a criminal. That is hasty generalization

benzion72: Hope Fashola will accept once and for all that he is wrong.

Why is he wrong?

benzion72: Why did he not bring all these fake statistic before the ban.

Can you prove that the statistics are fake with a credible evidence?

benzion72: It is so sure A CN is dead and buried with all these anti people policies.

The fact that you do not agree with his policies does not make his policies anti people policies.Does it?
(actually you are the one guilty of using the fallacy of hasty generalization,by saying that the whole public is against Fashola and ACN just because you are against them.Does your wish equate to the wish of the public?)

benzion72: This is also against the basic rule of logic. All okada riders are criminal Kunle is an okada rider so he is a criminal.

I am so sorry to say this but your Logic is very poor Mr.Philosopher.where in the Ops statement was it stated that all Okada riders are criminals?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 26, 2012
chochoman: Okay,but how many died from car accidents and air mishaps.And have we banned air travel and use of cars?That mode of transportation should be regulated and not done away with.Doing that is like throwing away the babay with the bath water.
U cant compare the rate of okada accident with airplane accident. Though airplain can claim many life at once.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dammytosh: 10:30am On Oct 26, 2012
Aderostock:
You are the one that is foolish and stupid! Cos dana airline suspension was lifted by FG, Fashola shouldnt do his work to protect lives and properties? Okada accident rate in lagos is higher than rate of illness/disease.
Dont come here n spew trash

You are just a sycophant. Why didn't fashola diversify the money they stole in the 40Billion - 40KM road to create more jobs, all the toll gates, all the parking in Shoppping Mall , all the land stolen.

I am sure u will carry placard if you had trecked from Ikeja to Gbagada the way one guy claimed to do on Wednesday.

If you see this particular post as thrash, your brain needs to be re-examined. I am sure you were at Gani Fawehinmi park to protest fuel subsidy but you see nothing wrong with somebody waking up one morning and saying another person should stop his means of livelihood just like that without an option.

What lives and properties are you talking about ? 'protect' or you are just being ironic ? You are destroying the guy's live and his Okada property to save yours. Very selfish mode of reasoning.

The same Okada he used as convoy during his campaign. Suddenly became bad.

I wont be surprised if he sensed that the leadership of the Okada people have soft spot for Opposiotion group and decides to get back at them.

You reason with your anus with the claims in bold.

2 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by nosagold(m): 10:31am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: How can u say such thing. If you say pdp will take over lagos state because of this policy then ACN will take over other state that okada is being ban completely

Lol †ђξ dude jux spoke his mind
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 26, 2012
nosa gold:

Lol †ђξ dude jux spoke his mind
Abi
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by iwanchop(m): 10:36am On Oct 26, 2012
If u r nt happy wt what Fashola has done i hope ur family wl nt com out nd blame Fashola when u r killed in an okada accident on a major highway.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dammytosh: 10:37am On Oct 26, 2012
chochoman: Okay,but how many died from car accidents and air mishaps.And have we banned air travel and use of cars?That mode of transportation should be regulated and not done away with.Doing that is like throwing away the babay with the bath water.

Thanks, there is still hope if people like you still exist in Nigeria.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Wadeoye(m): 10:40am On Oct 26, 2012
Super1759: give a rat a name and hang it, that is what our gov is good at. Obviously crime rate will be at increase geometrically

If I were Fashola I would have banned them on all roads since. Of what good is Okada to us and the people thinking they are making a living from it? People have been killed and maimed - passengers and the riders themselves. They have also turned Okada into an robbery instrument.

Please ban them on all roads - let them go back to their villages to farm if they are not lazy. We need food and nobody is farming any longer.

2 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by takedat(m): 10:40am On Oct 26, 2012
Since there are all ethnic nationalities in Lagos, shouldn't the FG increase Lagos state allocation? the other 35 state governors whose subjects had migrated to Lagos in the hope of escaping abject poverty in their states of origin should contribute to the coffers of Lagos state so that Fashola can provide alternatives for their people riding Okada.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 26, 2012
iwanchop: If u r nt happy wt what Fashola has done i hope ur family wl nt com out nd blame Fashola when u r killed in an okada accident on a major highway.

The same way you would be knocked down and killed by a hit and run driver? How hollow and shallow can some of you be?
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by igbsam(m): 10:45am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: I AM A LIVING TESTIMONY.
For real ? lol
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by kennytidistar(m): 10:49am On Oct 26, 2012
[Quod]

Why is he wrong?

Can you prove that the statistics are fake with a credible evidence?

The fact that you do not agree with his policies does not make his
policies anti people policies.Does it?
(actually you are the one guilty of using the fallacy of hasty
generalization,by saying that the whole public is against Fashola and
ACN just because you are against them.Does your wish equate to the wish
of the public?)

I am so sorry to say this but your Logic is very poor
Mr.Philosopher.where in the Ops statement was it stated that all Okada
riders are criminals?

Thank you.

my friend why you dey disgrace yourself publicly nau, fashola is wrong simple let him admit and adjust it decision and let live cintinue to be good, fashola is proud, he doesnt take him anything to say i'm sorry afterall he is a messanger and he must act it because his salary is being paid from my sweat and your sweat so why defending a dump?
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 26, 2012
igbsam:
For real ? lol
Fashola has done well by not banning them completely. Atleast some young teenagers who are engaged in okada riding will find something good to do with their brain instead of fast money through okada riding
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Aderostock(m): 10:57am On Oct 26, 2012
dammytosh:

You are just a sycophant. Why didn't fashola diversify the money they stole in the 40Billion - 40KM road to create more jobs, all the toll gates, all the parking in Shoppping Mall , all the land stolen.

I am sure u will carry placard if you had trecked from Ikeja to Gbagada the way one guy claimed to do on Wednesday.

If you see this particular post as thrash, your brain needs to be re-examined. I am sure you were at Gani Fawehinmi park to protest fuel subsidy but you see nothing wrong with somebody waking up one morning and saying another person should stop his means of livelihood just like that without an option.

What lives and properties are you talking about ? 'protect' or you are just being ironic ? You are destroying the guy's live and his Okada property to save yours. Very selfish mode of reasoning.

The same Okada he used as convoy during his campaign. Suddenly became bad.

I wont be surprised if he sensed that the leadership of the Okada people have soft spot for PDP and decides to get back at them.

You reason with your anus with the claims in bold.
U dont want to learn. U expect Fashola to create jobs for Nigeriens, chadians, imolites, anambras, riverians and so on that are riding okada in lagos. What abt your FG? If u dont know wat to say or type just keep shut

2 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by iwanchop(m): 10:58am On Oct 26, 2012
Heed to Fashola's voice and live long...Go against it and this may happen to you»
Get killed nd reduce Nigeria's population by one or
Get seriously injured,loose one of ur arms or legs and represent Nigeria in d next PARALYMPICS .Good luck
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dammytosh: 10:59am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: Fashola has done well by not banning them completely. Atleast some young teenagers who are engaged in okada riding will find something good to do with their brain instead of fast money through okada riding

Reasoning like this makes me think I am wasting my time arguing and stating facts on Nairaland embarassed undecided cry angry sad

You call sitting on a bike from morning till evening (the dust, police harrassment etc) "Fast Money" ?

I pray you will make that kind of fast money.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dammytosh: 11:02am On Oct 26, 2012
Aderostock:
U dont want to learn. U expect Fashola to create jobs for Nigeriens, chadians, imolites, anambras, riverians and so on that are riding okada in lagos. What abt your FG? If u dont know wat to say or type just keep shut

It amazes me that your conclusion after reading the two posts is stated above. I guess the lines are too much for you to read and comprehend. So you read the first line and jumped at your PDP vs ACN conclusion.

For the records, States create jobs and ACN campaigned that they will create jobs.

In view of this, I can see that you are extremely ignorant and i am done engaging YOU on this Topic. Good Day.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by bfire(m): 11:04am On Oct 26, 2012
Why is it hard for most people to comprehend, now?

THE STATE RESTRICTED MOVEMENT OF OKADA RIDERS, NOT BAN.

The statics given would have been compared to previous records of death using a base year, say, 2009.

Is the goverment responsible for employing everyone?

I asked around and found out that 80% of this okada riders arrived Lagos in 3 years.

50% claimed to come from the north; 35% from states that border Lagos state.

Let's think about all these and to open our eyes to observe that 95% of the okada and operators and riders refused to put on the helmet whenever they ride. Is that not contrary to the law of the state.

In the next few weeks or months you'll see the state implementing the ban on street trading and you'll say what exactly? That Lagos state should find job for them, also?

Remember that these people are coming from other states. What happened to their government?

where ever we find ourselves, let's follow the rules/law of that place.

I have witnessed with my own eyes people been removed from NY to NJ, USA because they are beggars resident in another state.

It's a restriction NOT A BAN.

A life destroyed carelessly because of bread and butter is not what we should accept.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 26, 2012
dammytosh:

Reasoning like this makes me think I am wasting my time arguing and stating facts on Nairaland embarassed undecided cry angry sad

You call sitting on a bike from morning till evening (the dust, police harrassment etc) "Fast Money" ?

Are you an Okada man?
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by SELFWORTH: 11:09am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: Na u be no1 mumu. For where u get ur own result . Prove it.

No . You are both Mugu! Where are the figures from? Plucked from the air as usual .
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 26, 2012
dammytosh:

How will police harrass u if u abide by the law?
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by iwanchop(m): 11:11am On Oct 26, 2012
pro01:

The same way you would be knocked down and killed by a hit and run driver? How hollow and shallow can some of you be?

Mr Intelligent,so u c nothing wrong in okadas plying major highways and getting people killed or injured?Hav u lost any loved one in a motorbike accident?I pray u dnt.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by SELFWORTH: 11:12am On Oct 26, 2012
bfire:
Why is it hard for most people to comprehend, now?

THE STATE RESTRICTED MOVEMENT OF OKADA RIDERS, NOT BAN.The statics given would have been compared to previous records of death using a base year, say, 2009.Is the goverment responsible for employing everyone? I asked around and found out that 80% of this okada riders arrived Lagos in 3 years.
50% claimed to come from the north; 35% from states that border Lagos state.Let's think about all these and to open our eyes to observe that 95% of the okada and operators and riders refused to put on the helmet whenever they ride. Is that not contrary to the law of the state.In the next few weeks or months you'll see the state implementing the ban on street trading and you'll say what exactly? That Lagos state should find job for them, also? Remember that these people are coming from other states. What happened to their government?where ever we find ourselves, let's follow the rules/law of that place.I have witnessed with my own eyes people been removed from NY to NJ, USA because they are beggars resident in another state.It's a restriction NOT A BAN.A life destroyed carelessly because of bread and butter is not what we should accept.

Life is of no value in this country so that's why most people cannot comprehend what you are saying. Don't waste your time. Experience they say is the best teacher.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dammytosh: 11:13am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: Are you an Okada man?

With all modesty and other factors considered and going by your level of reasoning, I am sure I earn your miserable per annum pay in a month or less.

Provided you are not a product of this economic melt down and maladministration by your leaders both federal and state. i.e I mean if you have a job at all.

oluface: How will police u if u abide by the law?
Is this a question or you have not seen police stop and harrass motorists without any justification ? Are you a Nigerian in Diaspora ? I mean do you live in Rwanda or Liberia ? undecided
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by geeez: 11:13am On Oct 26, 2012
pro01: And vehicle accidents killed how many? And how many kidnappings and armed robberies were carried out with vehicles in the same period? How many accidents were caused SOLELY by poor roads and potholes all over the state? These people are oafs of the highest order. It's a crying shame that these re.t.a.rds are allowed to lead us.

I wonder how some people reason. So because vehicle accidents, robberies or infant mortality kill more people, we should encourage deaths on okadas because its not the biggest killer of Lagosians? How sad that life has no value in these climes. I saw the picture of a good looking and promising young man on my friend's blackberry avatar some weeks ago with a display message RIP and when I asked what killed him, my friend said he died in a bike accident on a highway. If the restriction was a month earlier, he probably would have been alive now

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 26, 2012
SELFWORTH:

No . You are both Mugu! Where are the figures from? Plucked from the air as usual .
U still havent prove yourself.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by SELFWORTH: 11:13am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: How will police u if u abide by the law?

Sorry! What language is this ?
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by SELFWORTH: 11:18am On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: U still havent prove yourself.

I have nothing to prove . Ask those that are quoting figures left right and centre with no proper basis or reference . Am just giving my humble opinion .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fani-kayode Meets Bail Conditions; Awaits EFCC To Verify, Release Him. / "APC Will Expose PDP In Court" - Oshiomhole Says / A Secret For Igbo On Nairaland - Why I'm Not Happy With My Igbo People Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.