Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG (11118 Views)

Boko Haram Destroys Nigerian Military Base; 107 Troops MIA - Dailymail UK / El-rufai Donates 107 Patrol Vehicles, Security Gadgets To Kaduna Police. Photos / Boko Haram Kills 107 In Zamfara, Potiskum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by ochallo: 4:14pm On Oct 26, 2012
scopusng:

Shut up my friend,what lively hood.It could be your turn.I guess if you have had a relation that had died from bike accident I know you won't be naive to talk about lively hood.Go to Abuja,Portharcourt also Akwa Ibom bike are banned and nothing happened. Una see Fashola finish.

You need to go to that port harcourt that you mentioned and see that a lot has happened, soya spots use vultures as chicken, community maim and kill students who are allegedly thieves, armed robbers wear police uniform and rob the masses etc and the Gov buys a Jet. If you have been to PH after okada was stopped and you didnt have a car, then you would know that the problem of the masses is the GOvernment.

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by ochallo: 4:23pm On Oct 26, 2012
rafhell:

something tell me that you and all your family members are okada riders.
sorry oo. i understand your fear. but make you try understand what fashola is saying. the ban on okada is not a total ban. it is just to ban them from plying certain route like the express ways. no be fashola fault say u and all ur family no go school. olodo

I must say that you are a big fool to think that all okada riders didn't go to school. I once came out of silverbird on a hot afternoon and saw one of the guys that we served together in Ekiti state riding an okada. I also just realized that i have a relative who has been working in a soap and detergent manufacturing company that had some problems and laid almost all staff off, he used N70,000 out of the little money he had saved and started okada business while looking for another job, now tell me you idiot which of the 2 people mentioned above didn't go to school.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by gabe: 4:46pm On Oct 26, 2012
Compare that laughable statistic with car crashes, plane crashes, or even dying in one's sleep. Its so easy to ban okada when you are in a bullet proof jeep with tinted glasses. So most bank robberies are carried out by okada riders? Do leaders who have no feasible plan to reduce unemployment(except pretty impractical power point presentations in 5 star hotels to sycophantic applause ) have any justification for destroying thousands of livelihoods?

2 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by gabe: 4:57pm On Oct 26, 2012
Self worth, oluface and co, pls stop dissing each other. Its not cowardice, but maturity to ignore an insult.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by DANGOTEONE: 5:50pm On Oct 26, 2012
As For Those That Have Reasoned Ethically And Factually, May You All Be At Peace With Humanity And Live Long To See The End Of All Those That Have Blindly Stood For Nothingness. Fashola, Must Be Reminded That The Day A Man Dies In The Eyes Of Sane Nigerians Is The Day He Stops Being Insensitive To The Cry Of The Masses.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by theshadyexpress(m): 6:19pm On Oct 26, 2012
this fools did not tell us how many people died as a result of the failure of government to implement the consolidated medical salaries structure(conmess),but they are very ready to tell us how many people have died as a result of okada accidents....if i may ask why did the guvnor not ban entirely the use of automobiles like cars since it has also taken its fair share of lives....and if it is necessary to ban okada what are the alternatives available in form of new form of transport and means of survival for current okada riders.....this government is beginning to tour the route of failure

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by bigmo1(m): 6:23pm On Oct 26, 2012
Wadeoye:

If I were Fashola I would have banned them on all roads since. Of what good is Okada to us and the people thinking they are making a living from it? People have been killed and maimed - passengers and the riders themselves. They have also turned Okada into an robbery instrument.

Please ban them on all roads - let them go back to their villages to farm if they are not lazy. We need food and nobody is farming any longer.
Can you see how poor your reasoning is? If you need food, you and your fada should go back to the village and farm. Ode osi. For the fact that people have been maimed and killed in okada accident, is banning the quick solution? Are more people not killed in car, bus, trailer and plane crashes? Then why not ban those modes of transportation as a solution too. Taxis are used for kidnapping, buses are used for robbery (one chance), then they should be banned too if that is our you reason. more people die in accidents due to bad road, then d govt which is responsible for such roads should be disbanded.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by kemifemi: 6:47pm On Oct 26, 2012
ndu_chucks: May I also inform LASG that the lack of maintenance of many state roads killed 1,107 people in one year? mumus

And thousands of lagosians have also been sent to their graves by trailers, containers and oil tankers.
Don't know why he reversed the law stopping trailers from plying the roads during the day! Guess the powers that be have called him to order cos they own most of these trailers.
Govt is quick to enact laws that will make the masses suffer but will footdrag when it affects the "tall and mighty".

2 Likes

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by oolumide: 7:19pm On Oct 26, 2012
Govt of propaganda. Typical ACN way of dealing with issue. Mentally lazy govt, which one comes first, why not think of way to offer alternative to numerous users and livelihood to the okada people. Didn't Akwa ibom did without prob, same thing this fashola did in Lasu. With all his propaganda. Yeye people.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by globatop: 8:05pm On Oct 26, 2012
We should never compare d expirience of other states that banned okada with what will happen in lagos, transportation system in lagos and population will make the difference. In lagos most vehicles loaded fully in the garage, commuters on busstops along d road are ussually stranded, the buses plying lagos roads are not enough for commuters. pls modify these laws.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dokson(m): 8:36pm On Oct 26, 2012
thumbs up gov.fashola. U ar an innovative governor. Pls lagosians ned more lagbuses after d exit of okada.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dammytosh: 8:45pm On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: OH MY GOD... DO U JUST SAID ENGLISH IS THE NATIONAL LANGUAGE OF THIS COUNTRY. CAN YOU DEFINE THE MEANING OF NATIONAL LANGUAGE. U ARE A DISGRACE TO YOUR FAMILY. WHATS UR LEVEL OF EDUCATION. ?
You should be shot at sight if you are a graduate. shocked shocked shocked shocked

oluface: What has fate done to ur life mr moquito brain... Atleast i can still express myself in english... Show me at least 3 american that can express theirself in yoruba language the way i speak english. Bastard.
Dude, you can't express yourself in English. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

oluface: You r a bastard if not you wont tell me that making a mistake in a borrowed language has make an okada man beta than me english. You got an ant or mosquito brain.
I have met beggars who speak better English than the jargon you typed with your God forsaken BB or Nokia 3310 not to talk of some Okada men.

No wonder you don't know the pain of being a graduate and being jobless. Your certificate should not be more than JSCE.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Wadeoye(m): 10:06pm On Oct 26, 2012
big mo:
Can you see how poor your reasoning is? If you need food, you and your fada should go back to the village and farm. Ode osi. For the fact that people have been maimed and killed in okada accident, is banning the quick solution? Are more people not killed in car, bus, trailer and plane crashes? Then why not ban those modes of transportation as a solution too. Taxis are used for kidnapping, buses are used for robbery (one chance), then they should be banned too if that is our you reason. more people die in accidents due to bad road, then d govt which is responsible for such roads should be disbanded.

Na you be Ode, no be me. Is your papa an Okada rider? Or you dey sell Okada?

Okada adds no value to anybody in a decent society. Those guys can live a better life as farmers or artisans.

Lazy fool, get that into your skool.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by nyxus(m): 10:27pm On Oct 26, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]see analysis as e plenty-- 96 this 38 that... Demographic dexterity. Optimum olodo's let them tell us how many people poverty has killed, How many have died as a result of poor primary health care delivery system, How many have died as a result of police brutality. Is Okada the greatest threat to the lagos citizen. Let them show me facts about PHCN eko DISCO. Let them show me facts about how the IGR / Allocation is being utilized. Let them show me why the road in front of my house isn't Tarred and why I ve gat 33Kva wires hanging over my head. Tell me is this how electric pole hang in countries Mr Fashola goes to during medical check ups. Tell me when the Govt water supply will reach my house. Tell me why OMO ONILE keeps harassing the lagos citizenry. WwwwHyyyyY? Kill Okada... Today its them tomorrow it could be ur business. First it was the doctors, Now its the bike riders....
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by ebosed: 10:34pm On Oct 26, 2012
,[quote author=rafhell]let us learn to see the good sides of certain policies rather than seeing the tiny negative side.
fashola,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by nduchucks: 10:57pm On Oct 26, 2012
olaolaking:
You are so negative! I HATE YOU

Babalawo, I feel sorry for you and your hatred for a faceless username. wa kan pa ara re danu, lasan ni. didirin.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dartsidius7(m): 11:12pm On Oct 26, 2012
oluface: chairman issokay issokay. lifam now. e don do abeg

nice reply. smiley
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dartsidius7(m): 11:22pm On Oct 26, 2012
I think the bike men should stay off the high ways. Baba Fash, good one.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:57pm On Oct 26, 2012
From the responses i've been reading here, i've come to the conclusion that there are either a lot of paid political stooges here to dent Fashola's image or a lot of people here are really dense.

1) It it's not a complete ban on Okadas in the entire state. SO why all this hue and cry about livelihoods? The ban just prevents them from plying certain roads and at certain times of the day. If any okada rider's route falls under one the banned roads, then it's time to switch routes and continue riding. Must they ply the extremely dangerous express roads and at all times of the day?

2) Even if it's a ban on all Okadas in the state, are you telling me there is absolutely nothing else the okada men can do? What happened to carpentry, bricklaying, trading, farming and other small businesses out there? Truth to tell, this Okada riding thing has made a lot of young men lazy, preferring to ride okadas for a quick buck instead of working hard at something more difficult but with more rewards and a better chance at advancement in life. Look around you, and you'll see that there are fewer carpenters, masons, farmers, electricians etc now as against when you were younges and waaaaay more Okadas now. We've heard of people living a comfortable life and even getting rich from farming, carpentry, trading and all that but who has ever heard of anybody getting rich from riding an Okada?

3) When criticizing the Nigerian government, you guys always run off talking about how things are being done in developed countries like the US, Russia, Germany et all. Now which of these countries uses motor bikes/okadas for public transport? Even private transport companies in these countries don't use Okadas for transporting the public. So you guys want Nigeria to be developed, but you want to keep an obvious relic of underdevelopment. Oh, do grow up!

4) For those using the logic that since cars/lorries/trucks are also involved in accidents, planes crash, boats capsize, etc, then the government might as well ban them, your argument falls flat. You might as well say that since armed robbers are also trying to make a living from robbery, the government might as well make it legal as they have the same intentions as people making an honest living i.e make money to pay some bills. Bikes are made for fast, light travel over short distance. But now we see okada men blazing from Ikorodu all the way to the island. Tell me, is that safe? Okay, let's go to the express. I don't need statistics to tell you that the smaller your vehicle, the less your chances of survival in accident cases. If a car is involved in a crash, chances are you will survive. But imagine an okada on the highway knocked off by a trailer. Just imagine the result.

(and by the way, since when did it become the state government's responsibility to regulate air or water travel?)

5) If Okadas are totally banned, it will actually help Nigeria develop. How? If Okadas are banned, we will find ourselves inconvenienced by traffic and poor transport systems. This inconvenience will push us to put the right level of pressure on the government to provide us with these things. Look at the fuel subsidy saga. Nigerians only united to put pressure on the government because of the inconveniences the new price regime would cause. It could be a blessing in disguise but as far as we have okadas, we won't feel any need for the governemnt to provide us with better amenities.

6) Other states have banned okadas and introduced kekes and heaven did not fall. If anything, it made those states look more organized and crossing roads is much easier when there is no fear of an okada popping out of the blue to almost knock you down. I was an undergraduate at Imo state when the state government banned Okadas in Owerri municipality and the place has been much better for it. Can't remember when last someone was robbed from a vehicle there. Don't tell me that if Okadas are banned Lagos will not work. Bigger cities work without Okadas and so can Lagos.

And if you can't do without them okada men, why not buy your personal bike and do what they do, fly at neck breaking speeds and meander between trucks and lorries and see how it feels to be at the wheel.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 12:20am On Oct 27, 2012
dartsidius7: I think the bike men should stay off the high ways. Baba Fash, good one.

You people should stop deceiving yourselves and insulting the masses' intelligence in your desperate attempts to justify the ban on Okadas. What do you mean by "highway"? Have you seen the list of roads Okadas were restricted from plying? If you have not, then please browse through page 3 of this thread; someone was kind enough to post it there. How many of these roads are highways?

I happen to be familiar with a number of these routes - including "the entire road network in Ikeja GRA", the Opebi/Allen stretch, and "the entire road network in Festac Town". How in God's name are these highways? Majority of the roads in that list are NOT highways or expressways by any definition.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Horus(m): 1:59am On Oct 27, 2012
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dartsidius7(m): 2:13am On Oct 27, 2012
pro01:

You people should stop deceiving yourselves and insulting the masses' intelligence in your desperate attempts to justify the ban on Okadas. What do you mean by "highway"? Have you seen the list of roads Okadas were restricted from plying? If you have not, then please browse through page 3 of this thread; someone was kind enough to post it there. How many of these roads are highways?

I happen to be familiar with a number of these routes - including "the entire road network in Ikeja GRA", the Opebi/Allen stretch, and "the entire road network in Festac Town". How in God's name are these highways? Majority of the roads in that list are NOT highways or expressways by any definition.

Justification. smiley. ok then, PRO of the masses, we are sorry for any inconvenience the ban may have caused you. We have no genuine reason for banning the okadas, we just dont phucking like em. smiley

damn. you make it seem like thats the ONLY thing that they are capable of doing. There are choices chief, they should ply the roads that are not on the list of banned routes. If the money they make from those roads are not enough, Nigeria has 36 states. only a few of them have placed a TOTAL ban on okadas. the masses, the masses, who are the masses chief, i have sat down to chat with about 3 of those bike men from the north (which i must say makes up a large percentage of okada men) that are currently living in agege, 2 of the 3 had 2 wives and a phucking farm. I lived in the north for more than a year, i have seen what these people can do with dry land, they are phucking good, i blame the governors of thier states for not investing in them.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by dammytosh: 6:34am On Oct 27, 2012
pro01:

God bless u.

Just let them continue with their highway propaganda. That is typical of the ACN government everything is perfect on pages of newspaper.

Even Unilag road is an highway. It has 30 lanes u know. undecided

To them anybody who opposes any unreasonable move from the current administration belong to PDP. I don't know if asking for good administration is a big crime against humanity. cry
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Elise1: 7:51am On Oct 27, 2012
Good move
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by sucess001(m): 7:57am On Oct 27, 2012
The reason we kip lamenting about bad leadership in Nigeria and we kip gettin more bad leaders is cos of some idiots who never cease to defend govt actions.

First..u can't compare Lagos to any oda state cos of d population density. Differrent solutions re applicable to different climes. U can't make Lagos 'develop' like oda developed countries wen ur oda sources of transport like rail and water are non existent. If there are so many okadas in Lagos, it means they have a big 'demand' by residents. Means they need it. And for yall sayin its just some routes banned..pls be educated... Roads within my housin estate were also banned...re dose highways too? Dnt be decieved by propaganda...dey want okada to stop fully.

2ndly...u say 107 pple die in 2 yrs tru okada...buh almst 300 died tru dana air in one hour...does dat mean we shd also ban air travel? I also can tell u dis...no serious robbery takes place with okada cos okada can't go far like cars...okada robberies re mainly petty and pale wen compared with car robberies. Who robs banks with okadas? D biggest robbery in lagos happened a few weeks ago wen some bureau de change were attacked. It was so serious d IG of police asked lagos police to wake up...did dey use bikes? For yall sayin they shud go farm...u miss d point...if dey farm, wat happens to d demand for their okada services?

3rdly,y can't d govtmake dem safer by creatin a seperate lane for dem like its done in cotonou? Me tink its cos d rich don't ride it so dey jst dnt care.they can even decide to register d okada men to reduce possibility of robberies tru dem...buh d govt apparently prefers d lazy 'emperor style' banning of tins. I even wonder if fashola has a right to ban okadas on a federal highway.

4thly...difficult to deny fashola is elitist...how do u explain d hile in lasu fees, lekki tollgate, displacin makoko residents and dis one on okadas? I voted for him 2wice...buh I won't ever!

No need to take tins personal...even marwa tried to provide keke as an alternative...fashola didn't bother...d traffic law is a senseless legislation...and er...dts me, a lawyer saying dt...

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Sleek05(f): 8:14am On Oct 27, 2012
dartsidius7:

Justification. smiley. ok then, PRO of the masses, we are sorry for any inconvenience the ban may have caused you. We have no genuine reason for banning the okadas, we just dont phucking like em. smiley

damn. you make it seem like thats the ONLY thing that they are capable of doing. There are choices chief, they should ply the roads that are not on the list of banned routes. If the money they make from those roads are not enough, Nigeria has 36 states. only a few of them have placed a TOTAL ban on okadas. the masses, the masses, who are the masses chief, i have sat down to chat with about 3 of those bike men from the north (which i must say makes up a large percentage of okada men) that are currently living in agege, 2 of the 3 had 2 wives and a phucking farm. I lived in the north for more than a year, i have seen what these people can do with dry land, they are phucking good, i blame the governors of thier states for not investing in them.

I get ur point...but its one-sided. D masses dat ply d roads okadas were banned on, wat do dey do? I mean places dat buses don't ply and alternatives lyk tricycles weren't provided.e.g ikeja GRA. Awaitin ur response!
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Wadeoye(m): 9:32am On Oct 27, 2012
pro01:

Wht do you mean by "masses intelligence" - we are all part of the masses or you think a rich man or their children have time for these NL discussions? Will you see Dangote or Otedola or their children chatting with you here?

We are telling you there is absolutely nothing wrong with banning Okada on even all Lagos roads - go to other parts of the world and tell me where Okada riding is seen as a means of providing employment. Nigeria is in deep shit and that is why you see thousands upon thousands going into this business of Okada riding. People can live a better and more organised life by going into farming and any other artisan profession. Yes, government has failed us by not supporting the people and not ensuring regular power supply is available to all - this has driving many people into this business of Okada riding. But again, I would rather we put pressure on the useless politicians (PDP specificly) to support farmers and provide uninterruptable power for the country. Okada riding is not an alternative to decent and responsible living - it destroy lives and give people false hope that afterall, I can feed myself today - I shouldnt care future will take care of itself.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by DANGOTEONE: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2012
Wadeoye:

you think a rich man or their children have time for these NL discussions? Will you see Dangote or Otedola or their children chatting with you here?

Let Me Believe The Above Is Coming From A Local...
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Wadeoye(m): 11:36am On Oct 27, 2012
DANGOTEONE:
Let Me Believe The Above Is Coming From A Local...

Yes, a local and show me one ID of Dangote or Otedola son or daughter here. The guys are busy enjoying life and when they are done , they are planning the next one. Dont deceive yourself... Yes, they may have paid agents who drum support for them on social media.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 27, 2012
Wadeoye:

Wht do you mean by "masses intelligence" - we are all part of the masses or you think a rich man or their children have time for these NL discussions? Will you see Dangote or Otedola or their children chatting with you here?

We are telling you there is absolutely nothing wrong with banning Okada on even all Lagos roads - go to other parts of the world and tell me where Okada riding is seen as a means of providing employment. Nigeria is in deep shit and that is why you see thousands upon thousands going into this business of Okada riding. People can live a better and more organised life by going into farming and any other artisan profession. Yes, government has failed us by not supporting the people and not ensuring regular power supply is available to all - this has driving many people into this business of Okada riding. But again, I would rather we put pressure on the useless politicians (PDP specificly) to support farmers and provide uninterruptable power for the country. Okada riding is not an alternative to decent and responsible living - it destroy lives and give people false hope that afterall, I can feed myself today - I shouldnt care future will take care of itself.

Why do you people keep running from pillar to post? Some of you were busy arguing that the "restriction" on Okadas was not a total ban because they were only restricted from highways. That is NOT true, spreading such propaganda is tantamount to insulting the masses' intelligence. There is no need to LIE to the world that it was only a 'restriction', whereas in reality it is more or less an outright ban in many strategic routes that are not highways.

On the other hand, you people keep emphasizing only one aspect of the issue - the Okada riders and the attendant unemployment they would face. This is only one part of the issue. What about the DEMAND for Okadas by ordinary Lagosians who need them to get to their various destinations? What are the alternatives available to such people? Can they afford taxis? Should they simply trek long distances like Fulani Nomads?

In all of these things, most of you supporting this Okada ban policy (including the Fashola you look up to) have demonstrated extreme bankruptcy of ideas. You don't need to ban anything to get rid of it. Simply introduce BETTER alternatives, and the thing you wish to ban would die a natural death. If you are too lazy to think up and implement alternative solutions, then you have no moral right to simply transfer the burden to the masses - just like the Federal government did with the fuel subsidy issue. Serious leaders and governments do NOT put the cart before the horse.

It is easy for some of us to support the policy because we own cars and so would not be directly affected. Indeed banning Okadas from the streets of Lagos would increase our driving pleasure and help us assuage our smug feelings of personal accomplishment. This is a very plausible stance, albeit very selfish and narrow-minded. The only thing I would like is for you people to boldly state that these are the REAL reasons you support the ban on Okadas. Stop pretending to care about victims of Okada accidents and all that pseudo-altruistic nonsense. This deceit really does insult the intelligence of the majority of the masses who wear the shoe and know wear it pinches

1 Like

Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by Wadeoye(m): 12:46pm On Oct 27, 2012
pro01:

Why do you people keep running from pillar to post? Some of you were busy arguing that the "restriction" on Okadas was not a total ban because they were only restricted from highways. That is NOT true, spreading such propaganda is tantamount to insulting the masses' intelligence. There is no need to LIE to the world that it was only a 'restriction', whereas in reality it is more or less an outright ban in many strategic routes that are not highways.

On the other hand, you people keep emphasizing only one aspect of the issue - the Okada riders and the attendant unemployment they would face. This is only one part of the issue. What about the DEMAND for Okadas by ordinary Lagosians who need them to get to their various destinations? What are the alternatives available to such people? Can they afford taxis? Should they simply trek long distances like Fulani Nomads?

In all of these things, most of you supporting this Okada ban policy (including Fashola you look up to) have demonstrated extreme bankruptcy of ideas. You don't need to ban anything to get rid of it. Simply introduce BETTER alternatives, and the thing you wish to ban would die a natural death. If you are too lazy to think up and implement alternative solutions, then you have to moral right to simply transfer the burden to the masses - just like the Federal government did with the fuel subsidy issue. Serious leaders and governments do NOT put the cart before the horse.

It is easy for some of us to support the policy because we own cars and so would not be directly affected. Indeed banning Okadas from the streets of Lagos would increase our driving pleasure and help us assuage our smug feelings of personal accomplishment. This is a very plausible stance, albeit very selfish and narrow-minded. The only thing I would like is for you people to boldly state that these are the REAL reasons you support the ban on Okadas. Stop pretending to care about victims of Okada accidents and all that pseudo-altruistic nonsense. This deceit really does insult the intelligence of the majority of the masses who wear the shoe and know wear it pinches.

I am advocating for total ban. That the state government has only restricted them to some roads is even what some people will call a good gesture.

What do you mean by masses demand for Okada? Who asked for Okada as a means of transportation? We asked for good transportation system from government and good road network. If we have all these, who will use Okada? Okada can't be a substitute for good transportation and road network - so, let go back to where we stopped and begin to demand from government for good transportation system.
Re: Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG by sucess001(m): 10:02pm On Oct 27, 2012
Wadeoye:

I am advocating for total ban. That the state government has only restricted them to some roads is even what some people will call a good gesture.

What do you mean by masses demand for Okada? Who asked for Okada as a means of transportation? We asked for good transportation system from government and good road network. If we have all these, who will use Okada? Okada can't be a substitute for good transportation and road network - so, let go back to where we stopped and begin to demand from government for good transportation system.

Guy...y u arguing from two contradictory angles...u say u want total ban yet in same breath u say no one wud need okada if govt provided gud transport system and roads...meanin govt has failed to provide both..dts d reason pple nid okadas...dnt u tink its more logical to say okadas shdnt be banned until govt provides d gud transport system and good roads?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fani-kayode Meets Bail Conditions; Awaits EFCC To Verify, Release Him. / "APC Will Expose PDP In Court" - Oshiomhole Says / A Secret For Igbo On Nairaland - Why I'm Not Happy With My Igbo People Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.