Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,418 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? (9621 Views)

Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? / Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) / Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 26, 2012
I watched a debate on BBC last night where a priest was saying that many things in the bible were metaphorical and he believes that there are stories in the bible that shouldnt be taken literary but the moral message should be extracted from them. He was ashamed of the bible literalist christian on the same debate that claimed to believe everything word for word in the bible. This same priest said that the virgin birth or the stories in the old testament are not central to his beliefs. He said that the moral teachings of Jesus about love was the main issue.

On the one hand, there are christians that accept the magic/miracles in the bible and on the other, there are christians that take only the moral teachings from the bible. We even have people like Thomas Jefferson, a christian who wrote his own bible excluding all the miracles of Jesus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

The question now goes to christians-

[size=18pt]a) Are you a miracle accepting or "morals only" accepting Christian?

b) Is interpreting the bible without miracles and the supernatural a modern way of christianity? [/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIn00lhq8Q&feature=g-vrec
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by OmoAlata(f): 10:31am On Oct 26, 2012
I believe EVERYTHING in the Bible grin

4 Likes

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata: I believe EVERYTHING in the Bible grin

So what do you think about the "morals only" interpretation of the bible?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 26, 2012
Bait set, will frosbel bite?

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 26, 2012
musKeeto: Bait set, will frosbel bite?

This is not bait....just simple questions
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 26, 2012
I would like input from christians
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by CrazyMan(m): 2:11pm On Oct 26, 2012
Logicboy03: The question now goes to christians-

[size=18pt]a) Are you a miracle accepting or "morals only" accepting Christian? [/size]
I'm a miracle accepting christian.

Logicboy03: [size=18pt] b) Is interpreting the bible without miracles and the supernatural a modern way of christianity? [/size]
Yes...because once you take the miracles away from the bible, the bible becomes a casual story book.

Most people simply because they're unable to uncover the mysteries surrounding the existence of miracles, refuse to believe that miracles exists.

But little do they know that what makes the bible sacred, and why it has survived through thousands of generations is a very good proof that miracles exist...the bible itself is a miracle.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 26, 2012
CrazyMan:
I'm a miracle accepting christian.

Yes...because once you take the miracles away from the bible, the bible becomes a casual story book.

Most people simply because they're unable to uncover the mysteries surrounding the existence of miracles, refuse to believe that miracles exists.

But little do they know that what makes the bible sacred, and why it has survived through thousands of generations is a very good proof that miracles exist...the bible itself is a miracle.

Thank you for your honest answer!

However, you say the bible has survived thousands of years but that is not quite true. Many original scriptures have been lost. There have been many meanings lost in translations and there are also many translations or versions of the bible. What we have today is an incomplete bible.

The bible is not a miracle. Or do you think differently? What is your opinion on this?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by CrazyMan(m): 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2012
Logicboy03: Thank you for your honest answer!

However, you say the bible has survived thousands of years but that is not quite true. Many original scriptures have been lost. There have been many meanings lost in translations and there are also many translations or versions of the bible. What we have today is an incomplete bible.
Really...do you actually believe this?

Logicboy03: The bible is not a miracle. Or do you think differently? What is your opinion on this?
A book that gives you comfort in times of sorrow, keeps you company in times of loneliness, refreshes your heart in times of distress, gives you a reason to smile in times of need, I can go on and on...

What better word do you think I should call this book if not miracle.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by tevinsolt: 4:08pm On Oct 26, 2012
if certainly you believe in a supernatural god who created the natural then you would certainly believe he is able to interfere and change things......imagine an apple tree, 98 percent of the time, the fruit falls to the ground because of gravity but assuming i'm standing under the apple tree and i introduce my hand into the process, the apple will not hit the ground. Jesus turned water to wine, well yes u need water to make wine and also the process of fermentation but what he did was he speed up the process.......lastly Richard Dawkins is not a very bright man he tries to use physics to disprove God which is pretty funny, he has lost debates upon debate against William Craig lane, because is not philosophically sound
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 4:26pm On Oct 26, 2012
There is a lot of difference between miracles and magick.

@topic: i dont have any issues with any of the above. This world has 2 powers: light and darkness - it has been so from the begining of the time of man. Anything you say will fall under one or both categories and there are overlaps too. This is why the bible tells us to test all spirits.

MANY CHRISTIANS DO NOT EVEN BELIEVE IN ANYTHING PARANORMAL/MIRACULOUS/MAGIC/WITCH-CRAFT. THEIR OWN BE SAY, LET ME PAY MY TITHES, FOLLOW MY PASTOR AND GO TO HEAVEN. FINISH.

When someone made a thread asking if "anyone has seen a ghost", i was quick to ask for what that person thinks is a ghost. Is it a shadow we are talking about, or an extra-dimensional being? or angels and demons? And again, if i did see a ghost (luckily i dont think i have), if i say i have - then it becomes my word against yours.

And our minds are programmed to accept what is norm - and so even when we witness paranormal events, we try to forget it and look for a suitable explanation for it.

If someone that was formerly a soccerer or a former illuminati changes and says they were saved by Jesus. Most people will say, they are just trying to use that to entice people to come to christianity.

So if i actually experienced a miracle/magic and say so. Most people will likely think that:
1. I am trying to feel special
2. I am possesed with demons.
3. I am likely mad
4. I am just queer or something is wrong with me
5. I have smoked canabis or garri
6. Only very few people that have witnessed similar things will likely believe.
And since they are minority, well, what do you really expect?

5 Likes

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 4:34pm On Oct 26, 2012
Logicboy03:

Thank you for your honest answer!

The bible is not a miracle. Or do you think differently? What is your opinion on this?

99.99% correct. There is so much about the bible that many christians dont know - because a lot of christians are not interested in history - and swallow hook, line and sinker everything they are told.

How many christians in Nigeria even know who "Emperor Constantine" was, and the amount of influence that he had on this bible? And how many are even aware of the inconsistencies in the bible.

The translation of sin several times was wrong because the original text uses iniquity in some places - and sin and iniquity are 2 different things. Anyway, let us leave that - before the other christians throw me out.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 26, 2012
CrazyMan:
Really...do you actually believe this?

A book that gives you comfort in times of sorrow, keeps you company in times of loneliness, refreshes your heart in times of distress, gives you a reason to smile in times of need, I can go on and on...

What better word do you think I should call this book if not miracle.

C'mon!

You know that there were lost scriptures
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 26, 2012
tevinsolt: if certainly you believe in a supernatural god who created the natural then you would certainly believe he is able to interfere and change things......imagine an apple tree, 98 percent of the time, the fruit falls to the ground because of gravity but assuming i'm standing under the apple tree and i introduce my hand into the process, the apple will not hit the ground. Jesus turned water to wine, well yes u need water to make wine and also the process of fermentation but what he did was he speed up the process.......lastly Richard Dawkins is not a very bright man he tries to use physics to disprove God which is pretty funny, he has lost debates upon debate against William Craig lane, because is not philosophically sound

Richard Dawkins destroyed Craig! angry angry
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwak: 2:16am On Oct 27, 2012
@lojicboy, you must tackle me if you must. Just saying. . .
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 27, 2012
Kids learn better when shown pictures.

Christiasn learn better when told miracle stories.

4 Likes

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:32am On Oct 27, 2012
ifeness: Kids learn better when shown pictures.

Christiasn learn better when told miracle stories.

grin grin grin grin

Epic comment sir!
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by CrazyMan(m): 4:57am On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03: C'mon!

You know that there were lost scriptures
But its funny you know...you believe that there were lost scriptures, but you refuse to believe the ones that survived the thousands of years, which we now refer to as the bible.

Don't you feel you're not being real?

3 Likes

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwak: 5:12am On Oct 27, 2012
^^^That is an irony or is it paradox? Abeg help me polish that english.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 27, 2012
CrazyMan:
But its funny you know...you believe that there were lost scriptures, but you refuse to believe the ones that survived the thousands of years, which we now refer to as the bible.

Don't you feel you're not being real?

how does that make sense?

The bible is incomplete and you are claiming that I believe it?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 9:45am On Oct 27, 2012
^^^He was asking you if you even believe in what was written in the "incomplete version" of the bible, especially the new testament that talks about Jesus.
At least, that is what i suspect he was trying to ask you. But i already know your answer and the truth as well.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 27, 2012
pastormustwacc: ^^^He was asking you if you even believe in what was written in the "incomplete version" of the bible, especially the new testament that talks about Jesus.
At least, that is what i suspect he was trying to ask you. But i already know your answer and the truth as well.

What person reads the Letters of Paul and thinks that "this is a book of truth"
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by CrazyMan(m): 10:06am On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

how does that make sense?

The bible is incomplete and you are claiming that I believe it?
How do you know its incomplete? You don't believe it remember...

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 10:35am On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:
What person reads the Letters of Paul and thinks that "this is a book of truth"
You cannot compare Paul with those in the inner circle of Christ, i still say it that Paul na small boy.

Even I do not accept everything in the bible, because not everyone is perfect. You can find reasons to accept and reasons not to accept - the choice is ultimately yours.

CrazyMan:
You dont have to believe something to know whether it is complete or incomplete. Many christians do not even know the history of the bible to start with. Most times i tell people that the bible has more books, they are always very surprised.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2012
I see the miracles in the Bible with a healthy dose of skepticism & credulity. On one hand I believe miracles are possible; on the other hand I wish miracles were rocjsure testable & repeatable like experiments.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 27, 2012
CrazyMan:

Are you for real? See this guy? Why do some people become disingenuous?

It is an established fact of history that scrolls or scriptures were lost or left out in the compilation of the bible.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 27, 2012
Uyi Iredia: I see the miracles in the Bible with a healthy dose of skepticism & credulity. On one hand I believe miracles are possible; on the other hand I wish miracles were rocjsure testable & repeatable like experiments.

Well, the bible's miracles cant be tested, so you are left with a problem of faith
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 2:17pm On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

Well, the bible's miracles cant be tested, so you are left with a problem of faith

Yes. But I must point out that the evolutionary theory of common descent is also neither testable nor repeatable yet people believe in it.

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 27, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Yes. But I must point out that the evolutionary theory of common descent is also neither testable nor repeatable yet people believe in it.

No. You pointed out an ignorance about evolution.

Genetics is one of the greatest evidence for common ancestry. The relationship between DNA sequences from different species have been mapped Closely related species have a greater fraction of identical sequence and shared substitutions compared to more distantly related species.

Furthermore this is very repeatable on a small scale and we have seen common ancestry in dogs. Dog breeding by humans have resulted in new breeds like pugs and chihuahua
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 2:31pm On Oct 27, 2012
And you shall not attempt to put the spirit of the Lord your God into scientific test-tubes to find out what makes Him thick.

I am very happy that dunamis is not available for the evil scientists to experiment with - that gives us a huge step ahead of the enemies of mankind (aka aluminati and co) in the upcoming fight for survival.

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

No. You pointed out an ignorance about evolution.

Genetics is one of the greatest evidence for common ancestry. The relationship between DNA sequences from different species have been mapped Closely related species have a greater fraction of identical sequence and shared substitutions compared to more distantly related species.

Furthermore this is very repeatable on a small scale and we have seen common ancestry in dogs. Dog breeding by humans have resulted in new breeds like pugs and chihuahua

I hope you realize that I won't always let you get away with your spurious arguments about genetics.

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 27, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I hope you realize that I won't always let you get away with your spurious arguments about genetics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Bitter Truth About Islam, It Growing Numbers And It Headache / What Is The Unforgivable Sin? - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.