Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,530 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians (14275 Views)

How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. / Daily Water Consumption In Nigeria Is N8bn / Reduce Rice Consumption, Director Urges Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 27, 2012
petaling: Mr Joe Kwanashie, the Director, Irrigation and Drainage, Ministry of Water Resources, has urged Nigerians to reduce their consumption of rice to once a week.

Kwanashie said in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Abuja that the advice became imperative due to the amount foreign exchange spent on rice importation.

According to him, Nigeria spends N1 billion on rice importation daily.

‘’ If Nigerians decide not to eat rice every day but once a week, it will drastically reduce the importation of the commodity.

‘’If today we decide that instead of eating rice three times a day, we are only going to eat it once a day or once a week, we wouldn’t need to import all that rice.

“As a child, I know that in my house we didn’t eat rice every day.

“Today, most households in this country eat rice every day.

“Must we eat rice? what’s wrong with eating eba or pounded yam that we produce locally? will you die if you don’t eat rice? Kwanashie asked.

He said that the money spent on the importation of the commodity would not encourage economic growth, noting that Nigeria had so many other food substitutes.

‘’It’s something that requires political will and commitment and not only from the political leaders but also from us; its small sacrifices like this that Nigerians can make to make this country better.

‘’Look at the damage we are doing to our economy; one billion naira every day! do you know how many jobs that would provide in this country?’’ he asked.

The director, however, noted that Nigeria had the capacity to produce rice both for local consumption and also for export, stressing that the human and material resources required to to achieve it were also available.

On what the ministry is doing to combat the effects of flooding that had ravaged most farmlands and homes in the country, the director said:“The solution to flooding problem is multisectoral.”

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/news/reduce-rice-consumption-director-urges-nigerians/

Your Father!
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Babaken(m): 12:13pm On Oct 27, 2012
Standing5: The Suggestion of reduction of rice consumption isn't out of place, but we all know how money dissapear from our national treasury, all under the guise of one people oriented project or the other.
. De rice he was complaining about are de given it to de masses free de are buy it with de money is de choice. De money that amechi rotimi use to buy privat jet is enough to set up a rice farm that his state will benefit from. Ndi ala ndi ala.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by realsammie(m): 12:20pm On Oct 27, 2012
my heart is bittered for dis country. Since you no that you spend millions of naira in importing rice, what fors common sense suggests? simply put your house in order. Stop the importation of rice and encourage local farmers with insensitives to grow rice. but no & all one FOOOLISH FOOOL will say is that we should stop eating rice everyday.

THUNDER FIRE YOUR LEFT YANSHH
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Stallion84(m): 12:48pm On Oct 27, 2012
My question is How did Mr Joe Kwanashie make that position
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by dirahm: 1:16pm On Oct 27, 2012
First it was cassava bread, now it's eat rice once a week. Haba people, is this how you intend to tackle one of the basic needs of d citizenry
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 27, 2012
Is this man for real? This is a very unintelligent thing to say.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by nikkyshyne(f): 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2012
The guy is indeed a M.oron. Talking like he still dey primary school.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Zico0(m): 2:49pm On Oct 27, 2012
Even a primary5 pupil can suggest that we allocate such money to producing our own rice. Our leaders know solutions to issues just like every1 else here. Why they wont do the right thing 'i wonder. I guess its just about their selfish interests. The black man is greedy and stupid by nature. The white man might be greedy but he surely wont give away billions to stash millions.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by mjconcept(m): 3:01pm On Oct 27, 2012
blink182:
Madman
A madman has a brian but the man is brianless,which makes him worse than a madman.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by dnawah(m): 3:50pm On Oct 27, 2012
This man wicked o!this is d only thin cheap 4 nigerians now!beans & gari don go up now?(i think d people importing it r not r related to him)
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by azhameed: 4:35pm On Oct 27, 2012
its a shame this is coming out 4rm a top govt official why cant we increase rice production in d country
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by ayinba1(f): 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2012
Mr kwanashie kwashiokor say una to dey eat joor! After this, he will advise you to go 0-1-0 or 0-0-1!
Shiorrrrrr
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by bigmaut: 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2012
That man is a nyash-hole does he has a rice farm? wher is d jonathan rice initiative which he voted #billns we all know rice take 4-5 months to mature how long shall we wait 4 empty promise to germinate oloriburuku angry angry angry angry
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by beamed: 11:26pm On Oct 27, 2012
redcliff: Men, most of the old cargo-s holding public office don't fail to dissapoint me. Just when you think they've hit rock bottom, they'l slap you for underestimating them and pickup their shovel and keep digging again.people who I'm supposed to be looking up to are saying trash like this. If nigeria imports N1bn worth of rice, isn't that a good thing in the sense that they know there is a huge demand there and they should make conscious efforts to channel that money into PROFESSIONALLY producing this commodity locally? I'm sure this slow poke of a man ate rice the morning he made this statement and would eat rice again in the evening. I weep for leadership in this hell-hole

Couldn't agree more. I salute your reaction and mine is no different.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by member479760: 4:26am On Oct 28, 2012
we no fit produce rice locally?
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by nenergy(m): 6:57am On Oct 28, 2012
i thought it was 4 medical reason. yeye man!
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 7:08am On Oct 28, 2012
^^^
Like reducing garri consumption make u not go blind?
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Dagods(m): 8:37am On Oct 28, 2012
I am dissapointed.paint plastic of garri #600.00.
and dis man is talking like my dog"jack"did i actualy click on dis news?.mtcheeeew,hey wifey is sunday rice ready?.

1 Like

Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by KABIYESISULTAN: 2:40pm On Oct 28, 2012
The guy is right. Rice should be eaten only on christmas day and new year.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by babestella: 3:41pm On Oct 28, 2012
pDude: So we should start eating GARRI everyday

Drink garri with groundnut in the morning, eat eba & soup in the afternoon, and chop dry garri with fish or coconut at night, balanced diet ni.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by babestella: 3:42pm On Oct 28, 2012
KABIYESI SULTAN: The guy is right. Rice should be eaten only on christmas day and new year.

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by wizard01(m): 5:51pm On Oct 28, 2012
Is this Director man. Well at all?? The cost of Iron Beans goes for 120 a cup and garri is 3 cups for Hundred naira, while rice still stands affordable at 50 naira per cup ** one should eat rice once a week!!! ***sighs** cheap popularity.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by blackbeau1(f): 6:10pm On Oct 28, 2012
Do u eat garri everyday?
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by UdekeJ(m): 9:36pm On Oct 28, 2012
Is not his fault! May be he is suggesting we have a national rice day!
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by luluosas(m): 8:22am On Oct 29, 2012
I am very sure this yeye man spoke from his anus.
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by chux76(m): 6:07pm On Nov 02, 2012
I opened the thread hoping to read the worst: Health Implications of eating rice,only to realize the BUN/KUM was talking about how the importation bla bla bla...That guy is a F/U/CKING MOR/ON
Re: Reduce Rice Consumption To Once A Week, Director Urges Nigerians by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 04, 2012
This go to show the quality of leadership we have in this country. Why Should highly placed civil servant come up with this trash? Why can't we grow our rice locally and export surplus to other countries?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sachet Of Pure Water Now N20! / Have Anyone Ever Tasted Groundnut Soup / When You See A Man In The Market:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.