Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? (31626 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / 'osu' In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by RickyRoss1(m): 10:43am On Oct 27, 2012
Ok, this is a post for those who are familiar with the Osu menace, I beg all tribalists and trouble makers to stay away from this thread and not try to derail it. Every society, race or tribe has got its ills. This should not be used as an avenue to mock on anyone or tribe. Even though Osu exists in Igboland, there are millions of Igbo people who doesnt know what Osu means. I have met such people from some pats of Abia State, and Afiko, Ohaozara etc in Ebonyi state. At first I used to think these guys are pretending when they say Osu is not know in their town/LGA, I later found out that Osu does not exist in some towns and local government areas in Igboland. Maybe this is an Imo State problem, I dont know. Lets have a meaningful and constructive discussion...

I am making this post because some weeks ago I had a serious argument about this issue with my uncle which resulted in a serious slap. We were in the village for a burial, the next day there was a village meeting. During the meeting one Emeka raised his hand and said he had something important to say. He started raising some important issues but suddenly my uncle cut in and started raining curses and abuses at Emeka, claiming Emeka should respect himself, he is Osu and should not talk when freeborn is talking?? I was sitting very close to my uncle and i became overly angry and uncontrollable, what I did to my uncle I cannot write here. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME ONE SINGLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FREEBORN AND OSU? IF WE DIE TODAY, IS GOD GOING TO JUDGE US BASED ON RACE OR SOCIAL STATUS?

Each time I discuss this osu issue with my Igbo brothers, those who do not know me from the village will assume I am Osu that is why I am concerned about it. But that is not true. I hail from Ikeduru LGA in Imo State. I am a free born from a royal family. I am concerned because these guys are innocent, whatever their parents or forefathers did ages ago should not be used to punish them now. If we say their parents worshiped idol then tell me if there is any family in black Africa that does not worship Idol before the white men came?. I am concerned because I travel a lot, and I have been racially abused by European and Asian racists so I know how it feels to be racially abused.

WHAT IS OSU? I have heard different versions of this story and I dont know which version to believe. They say, some time ago (only God knows when); there was a war, famine or disease in a certain land, people were dying in great numbers or so, and a certain man took his children to a certain forest and prayed to the evil forest God to save him and his family, and if the calamity does not touch his family he will worship the forest god forever. Since nothing happened to this man, he lived in the evil forest and worshiped this god. As a result, he was given the name Osu, meaning outcast, evil or idol worshiper or whatever. Because of this, he is considered evil and no one comes close to him or his family.

Traditionally, there are two classes of people in Igboland – the Nwadiala and the Osu. The Nwadiala literally meaning ‘sons of the soil’ are the freeborn. They are the masters. While the Osu are the slaves, the strangers, the outcasts and the untouchables. Chinua Achebe in his well-known book, No Longer At Ease asks: What is this thing called Osu? He answers: “Our fathers in their darkness and ignorance called an innocent man Osu, a thing given to the idols, and thereafter he became an outcast, and his children, and his children’s children forever” The Osu are treated as inferior human beings in a state of permanent and irreversible disability. They are subjected to various forms of abuse and discrimination. The Osu are made to live separately from the freeborn. In most cases they reside very close to shrines and marketplaces. The Osu are not allowed to dance, drink, hold hands, associate or have sexual relations with Nwadiala. They are not allowed to break kola nuts at meetings. No Osu can pour libation or pray to God on behalf of a freeborn at any community gathering. It is believed that such prayers will bring calamity and misfortune.

GROWING UP: Even though Osu is still prevalent in my town/LGA now, it was worst like 20 years ago. When I was growing up, we were not allowed to go to a barbers shop owned by Osu person. Our parents would tell us which barbers shop to use and which one to avoid. As custom demands, if Osu person cuts your hair you will automatically become Osu, and every member of your family becomes Osu instantly. If you marry Osu, you will become Osu instantly and all members of your family will be Osu. Right now, we have our hair cut wherever we deem fit and we have not become Osu. We now do everything with them except MARRIAGE.

MARRYING OSU: There must be something strong with this. There are only 3 guys I know that have attempted marrying Osu, 2 of them died mysteriously with their children. They usually die in strange circumstances. The only guy that survived it is living in London with his wife and children. When he wanted to marry this so called Osu wife his father told him not to try it otherwise he would disown him and he will never be allowed to come to the village again. He told his dad fine, he loves this girl and cannot marry someone else. He also said he already owns a house in London and doesn't need his father if he cannot reason with him. This happened like 9 years ago and the guy has never visited the village ever then, he is waxing really strong, he is currently a lecturer at the University of Liverpool and has 4 children. I would say he has broken that evil jinx and probably other guys in the town will follow suit.

To my Igbo brothers from other states/villages, how are Osu people perceived in your place? Are people allowed to marry Osu without problems?
What version of the osu story were you told? I have heard many different versions, some say war, some say disease, others say famine
Is it true that anyone with the following surname is from Osu family, like Osuji, Osueke, Nwosu, Osuala etc?
Do you think this prejudice will ever stop? In my opinion YES, because before now we were not allowed to use their barbers shop, today that is history
What do you think we can do to stop this ugly thing in Igboland? Write petitions, demonstrations or what?
Are you Osu, have you been abused before? Lets hear your comments please.

Moderators please push this to the front page, it is an important issue in Igboland and I need to hear peoples views/opinions. Thanks for your cooperation.

4 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by ifyalways(f): 11:48am On Oct 27, 2012
So, you are a 'freeborn from Ikeduru' but yet you married a Ghanaian? Nna, you don become "international osu" by default. You need cleansing.tongue

Charley, wetin dey?come block me for Tawarla beach later in the day make we chop better tilapia and banku.

Use the search button. This topic has been over flogged here. Just gather all the threads(I'm sure they are more than 10), read, copy and paste accordingly.

Midase!

6 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Balkan(m): 1:29pm On Oct 27, 2012
The fact still remains that osu issue is at the end of the road in IMO state. I am from ikeduru too. The former IMO state is speaker is from my community. Very handsome and intelligent
But still he is an Osu, so to say. Osu caste system is rubbish and the only obstacle remaining is the marriage btw them and the free born.

I hate that word. And I think it exist only in IMO state.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by RickyRoss1(m): 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2012
ifyalways: So, you are a 'freeborn from Ikeduru' but yet you married a Ghanaian? Nna, you don become "international osu" by default. You need cleansing.tongue

Charley, wetin dey?come block me for Tawarla beach later in the day make we chop better tilapia and banku.

Use the search button. This topic has been over flogged here. Just gather all the threads(I'm sure they are more than 10), read, copy and paste accordingly.

Midase!

Hehehe, Nwannem theres no crime marrying from outside the shores of the country. My family is very large and diverse, but thats by the way.
Thanks for the invitation, but if you want to have fun tonight hit the International Conference center where they are currently crowing Miss Malaika. There you will find the best Tilapia in Ghana, lol.
Back to topic, I registered last year and haven't seen any topic about the Osu Caste system.
That notwithstanding, I still want us to discuss about it.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by RickyRoss1(m): 7:45pm On Oct 27, 2012
Balkan: The fact still remains that osu issue is at the end of the road in IMO state. I am from ikeduru too. The former IMO state is speaker is from my community. Very handsome and intelligent
But still he is an Osu, so to say. Osu caste system is rubbish and the only obstacle remaining is the marriage btw them and the free born.

I hate that word. And I think it exist only in IMO state.

Ndewo Nwannem Nwoke. Kedu? Iwu onye Akabo?
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by odumchi: 8:14pm On Oct 27, 2012
I have met such people from some pats of Abia State, and Afiko, Ohaozara etc in Ebonyi state. At first I used to think these guys are pretending when they say Osu is not know in their town/LGA, I later found out that Osu does not exist in some towns and local government areas in Igboland

In Igboland, the osu caste is prevalent wherever Nri culture/influence is most felt, meaning Anambra and parts of Imo. It's non-existent in (I dare to say) all of Abia, most (if not all) of Ebonyi, Rivers, and parts of Delta.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by ifyalways(f): 8:49am On Oct 28, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

Mba, owu Onye Ata. Lol

Dalu nna. I bu Onye öbi oma @ OP. Didn't feel the ms Malaika thing, left my husband and boys there and went to tarwala. Ndi igbo jisi iwe alu ndi Gh. Na azu ulo/ala with iwe na Accra.
Egwu Uche.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Balkan(m): 8:47am On Nov 02, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

Figure this out. My community shear boundry with Umuhu Atta,Ngugo,Ogada Atta, Umuoziri and Inyshi. Find out the community lol
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Dede1(m): 6:46pm On Nov 03, 2012
Balkan:

Figure this out. My community shear boundry with Umuhu Atta,Ngugo,Ogada Atta, Umuoziri and Inyshi. Find out the community lol

You must be from Umudim.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Balkan(m): 10:56pm On Nov 03, 2012
Dede1:

You must be from Umudim.

Thanks for the guess, you tried but we don't even have boundary with Umudim
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
Daalu nu
I think you should remove your status from the post...to remove any bias
like, to fight this evil, we should stop tagging ourselves as free- born or "osu", whaddya say?

Input, I do not think it matters much these days, one could just leave town, etc,
(Though I know when one is poor, without education and its associated benefits, and living in a village, the stigma would be felt more)
Sad, truly, in that case

But I would rather be osu, educated, of average or above average financial means, than to be poor, uneducated and free borne
My opinion
Jisi ike

5 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by RickyRoss1(m): 9:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
Balkan:

Hehehe, thats difficult Nwanne, but its either Ikembara or Amaimo
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Abagworo(m): 9:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
Catholic church of Owerri Arch-diocese has declared Osu extinct and any member of the Catholic Church that discriminates in marriage as a result of Osu will be expelled from the Church.

5 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by RickyRoss1(m): 6:53am On Nov 09, 2012
milychocs: Daalu nu
I think you should remove your status from the post...to remove any bias
like, to fight this evil, we should stop tagging ourselves as free- born or "osu", whaddya say?

Input, I do not think it matters much these days, one could just leave town, etc,
(Though I know when one is poor, without education and its associated benefits, and living in a village, the stigma would be felt more)
Sad, truly, in that case

But I would rather be osu, educated, of average or above average financial means, than to be poor, uneducated and free borne
My opinion
Jisi ike

Ndewo Nwannem, I understand where you are coming from, but you have no idea how our people behave. I belong to many clubs in Port Harcourt, most of the club member's are Igbos, each time i raise this Osu issue you would have someone walk up to me telling me "YOU ARE OSU THAT IS WHY YOU ARE CONCERNED"

During Obasanjos regime, I was in a popular Nigerian spot in London, we were about 16 Nigerians or more, We were just hanging out and some guys started talking about Nigerian economy/politics. I was of the opinion that Obasanjo has done well in some areas of our economy, like the banking /telecom reforms etc. I was surprised a certain guy started calling me names claiming I was praising Obansanjo either bc my father was a politician or I am from Yoruba? Can you imagine that? Just bc I said this person has done well in this area means I am benefiting something from that person? Well my dad died ages ago and was never a politician, and I am Igbo?
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:08am On Nov 09, 2012
Abagworo: Catholic church of Owerri Arch-diocese has declared Osu extinct and any member of the Catholic Church that discriminates in marriage as a result of Osu will be expelled from the Church.

catholic church will also bcome extinct soon. .
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Balkan(m): 4:41pm On Nov 09, 2012
grin
Ricky_Ross:

Hehehe, thats difficult Nwanne, but its either Ikembara or Amaimo

Yes its btw the two but you have to be sure to get your price.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Balkan(m): 4:49pm On Nov 09, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

Ndewo Nwannem, I understand where you are coming from, but you have no idea how our people behave. I belong to many clubs in Port Harcourt, most of the club member's are Igbos, each time i raise this Osu issue you would have someone walk up to me telling me "YOU ARE OSU THAT IS WHY YOU ARE CONCERNED"

During Obasanjos regime, I was in a popular Nigerian spot in London, we were about 16 Nigerians or more, We were just hanging out and some guys started talking about Nigerian economy/politics. I was of the opinion that Obasanjo has done well in some areas of our economy, like the banking /telecom reforms etc. I was surprised a certain guy started calling me names claiming I was praising Obansanjo either bc my father was a politician or I am from Yoruba? Can you imagine that? Just bc I said this person has done well in this area means I am benefiting something from that person? Well my dad died ages ago and was never a politician, and I am Igbo?

If you are Igbo, you have to beleive BIAFRA. Nigeria does not exist in our hearts, its only in the Mouth but BIAFRA is in the soul and Heart. maybe
thats why you got that kind of reaction.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by ineedlove(f): 9:21am On Dec 12, 2013
My dear imolite, am princess frm umuofor amaimo in ikeduru. let stop been foolish nd clouded by d lies nd fake stories our pple tells us abt osu nd ndiala.dis is 24th century nt olden days, y sum ar calld osu is becos bck dn der was a crises nd sum of our pple wer takin into slavery 4 lng all ova d world nd by dn dey startd doin as d white,both in educatn nd d rest,so wen sum came bck wit dos tinx dey learn,der attitude nd d rest.so d pple at hme nw sees dm as an outcast nd startd avoidin dm cos dy ar d one who worshp d white man God nd d pple in d villa dn worship idol,so pls get ur fact wel bef judgin.go to goggle nd type hw osu came in existance bef concludin,meany dis osu ar literate,inteligent,expos,properous,nd cute nd lot more dnt see wats bad abt dm. Nd sayin wen u marry dm u wil die,my dear dats a fuckin lie.my aunt marry her husbnd an osu nd dy av 5 cute nd grown up children in phc,dy ar wealthy nd happy nd very much alive.also many mre dat i knw,nd wen it cums to idol worshp it is everywere nd it is general ok. So it is wat u believe dat wil happen to u,i am frm umuofor amaimo in ikeduru nd i dnt believe dis traditn rubbish,i cn marry anywere dat GOD ND LOVE wnt me to be.2 hell wit illiteracy nd uneducatn dat is killin sum pple,we ar no longer in dos destructn days dat our fathers av been causing due to there ignorance.tnk u

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by ineedlove(f): 9:33am On Dec 12, 2013
Hi guys nd gals frm all part of ikeduru shuld Add me up on bbm 2866c5b1 nd fbk jessica onumahjuru
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Labonita: 11:47am On Jul 18, 2016
All those that still believe in this stupid Outcast or Osu rubbish or whatever the hell it is called, are stupid, foolish and archaic! In this day and age u're still living in the stone age, it's a pity, may God forgive you for making innocent lives suffer unnecessarily! I'm totally disappointed! Stupid Igbo people and their traditions an culltures, and yes I am Igbo and I'm saying it! Nonsense, and u want to go to heaven when u die! Bullshit!

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by efizy123: 12:38pm On Jul 18, 2016
Labonita:
All those that still believe in this stupid Outcast or Osu rubbish or whatever the hell it is called, are stupid, foolish and archaic! In this day and age u're still living in the stone age, it's a pity, may God forgive you for making innocent lives suffer unnecessarily! I'm totally disappointed! Stupid Igbo people and their traditions an culltures, and yes I am Igbo and I'm saying it! Nonsense, and u want to go to heaven when u die! Bullshit!
Take it easy oh... Dem go tag u Osu oh...
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by questionspedia: 1:58pm On Jul 18, 2016
so nice to tell that right so many games are their to play with younters and http://questionspedia.com/truth-or-dare-questions.html is one of the game from it so try it

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by emmanuelbrown26: 4:18pm On Jul 18, 2016
Na mehn dis thing tire me ohhh, i hate dis osu ting like say tomorow no dey, imagine me wey no sabi toast woman, go travel go villa i go see fine fine babes wey bi say as i dey eye dem na so dem dey eye me, instead of my broda to encourage rather he will discourage me dat they are osu. Come to tink of it, Igbo claims to be Christians but why hate an osu, does it mean Osu people were created differently from others. I say pitimable pitiable, fantastically nonsense, osu my ass, abeg any osu babe dey here, hala me jare, una too beautiful
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 22, 2017
I've been seeing this by tribalists on here and am not here to make a tribal remark, I'm only curious. If some people are treated as Osu and some as Freeborns, how are Osu recognised? Is it by tracing their family tree? Or is it by probably a physical birth defect or something? I don't really understand it, because the poster above said he saw 'fine girls' and he was immediately discouraged because they were Osu, how did he know? How could his brother tell?

Caste systems are terrible. I hate discrimination of any sort. This reminds me of when I learned about the Caste system in India, with the people at the bottom the 'black' Indians. Those who have black skin like Africans are treated like trash, and heavily discriminated against. Its only recently that I heard the government has started putting programs in place to help them get to high places in society through scholarships and the likes.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Afam4eva(m): 7:02am On Jan 24, 2017
AnonyNymous:
I've been seeing this by tribalists on here and am not here to make a tribal remark, I'm only curious. If some people are treated as Osu and some as Freeborns, how are Osu recognised? Is it by tracing their family tree? Or is it by probably a physical birth defect or something? I don't really understand it, because the poster above said he saw 'fine girls' and he was immediately discouraged because they were Osu, how did he know? How could his brother tell?

Caste systems are terrible. I hate discrimination of any sort. This reminds me of when I learned about the Caste system in India, with the people at the bottom the 'black' Indians. Those who have black skin like Africans are treated like trash, and heavily discriminated against. Its only recently that I heard the government has started putting programs in place to help them get to high places in society through scholarships and the likes.
They're recognized by their family tree. There's not physical birth defect whatsoever as they're regular humans like you and i.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 24, 2017
Afam4eva:

They're recognized by their family tree. There's not physical birth defect whatsoever as they're regular humans like you and i.
Hmm, meaning that if you see a random person and have no idea of their family history, you can never know if they're Osu?
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Afam4eva(m): 8:00am On Jan 24, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Hmm, meaning that if you see a random person and have no idea of their family history, you can never know if they're Osu?
You can't except they tell you or you do your own findings. That's why in Igboland, before one gets married, an investigation is carried out into the family of the spouse to ascertain whether they're OSU or have madness in their family. It's painfully true. Though these things are not as pronounced as before.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by lawani: 6:35am On Feb 22, 2017
WHAT CAUSED THE OSU CASTE SYSTEM? APPARENTLY IT WAS A LACK OF NATIONAL CHALLENGES. SIMILAR TO INDIA THAT DID NOT INVADE ANY COUNTRY NOR WAS THREATENED FOR 10000 YEARS!.

YOU FIND OSU ONLY IN NRI CULTURE AND THAT IS A CULTURE OF NON AGGRESSION. NO OSU IN AROCHUKWU WHICH WAS LIKE A YORUBA STATE. NO OSU IN THE OLD BENIN POSTS TOO.
VISUALISE AN IGBO VILLAGE OF AROUND 1500 PEOPLE. THEY SEE THEMSELVES AS FAMILY AND ANY STRANGER ENTERING THAT COMMUNITY WILL BE OSTRACISED. THAT IS THE ORIGIN OF THE OSU CASTE SYSTEM BUT IF IT WERE TO BE A NATION STATE CONSTANTLY FACING THREATS OF INVASION, OSUS MAY BE THEIR SAVIOR A FEW TIMES AND THERE WILL BE INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND PEACE TREATY MARRIAGES AS WELL. THE SOCIETY WOULD BE ORGANISED DIFFERENTLY. NO CASTES. IN EUROPE, NO CASTE BECAUSE OF FREQUENT WARS BUT THERE WERE TWO BROAD CASTE ARISTOCRACY AND COMMONER. IT WAS CASTE LIKE BUT NOT RELIGIOUS. IN INDIA AND IGBO LAND, IT IS RELIGIOUS.

A HUGE PERCENTAGE OF OSUS MUST BE YORUBAS BECAUSE A LOT OF YORUBAS DISAPPEARED INTO IGBO LAND IN THE PAST DURING THE YORUBA CIVIL WARS AND WERE BOUGHT AS FARMHANDS. SO A GOOD PORTION OF OSUS MUST BE YORUBAS, THEN MAYBE IGALAS SOLD AS PUNISHMENT OVER CENTURIES. BUT THE MAJORITY WILL BE YORUBA DESCENT.

IGBOS ENTERING YORUBA LAND BY MISTAKE IN THE PAST OR AS A BOUGHT SLAVE EVENTUALLY NATURALISES, LEARN THE LANGUAGE AND DESCENDANTS ARE BLENDED IN BUT YORUBAS ENTERING IGBO LAND WILL END UP AS OSUS SURELY. THE VILLAGE CANT INTEGRATE THEM FULLY BECAUSE NO REASON TO!.

LET OSUS RELOCATE FROM IGBO LAND TO OTHER PLACES, CHANGE THEIR ID AND BLEND INTO THOSE PLACES AFTERALL THEIR ANCESTORS WERE PROBABLY NOT IGBOS.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Ostella2: 8:00pm On Aug 15, 2017
Osu was an evil practice by our ancestors just like the killing of twins in igboland. The freeborn accepted to stop the killing of twins because it affected them too. Our fathers were unfair to their fathers . One becomes an osu agiasnt his will. Their innocent blood was used to Cleanse the land. I can't say the history of osu here cos of space but you can read it online and understand the level of evil our fathers meted on them. I am a free born where I came from and I just started a movement to set them free. They are beautiful and nice people. Some of us have had sex with them and it was good. No calamity nor evil befell us. No body care about the deities any more. Not even the ones practising it. Pls join me if you are interested... It is the 21st century. Be part of this generational change. Let's not wait for them to carry placards and start protesting. We all are either clamouring for biafra or restructure yet refused to set our captives free. He that goes to equity must go with free hands.
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Ostella2: 10:53am On Aug 16, 2017
Join the Stop the Osu caste practice IN igboland group on bbm pin D8D2FD2B. I am a free born, let's set them free
Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by Ostella2: 10:59am On Aug 16, 2017
THE SHAME OF OSU CASTE PRACTICE IN IGBOLAND/BIAFRA.

The Osu caste practice is a long aged tradition in the era when deities were believed to ask for human sacrifice in order to cleanse the land of abominations.
History has it that one can become Osu (outcasts) through one of the follwing ways;
(1) A community can buy a Slave for the purpose of cleansing their land of abominations with human blood . A Slave is someone who's kidnapped or stolen and sold to slave merchants against his will
(2) Ostracization. This happens when an individual or group of individuals disobey or challenge the orders of a wicked king and are thus banished.
(3) Nri Kingdom was believed to possess the hereditary power and their Eze was seen as a potent who had powers to undo evil and cleanse the land of abominations and taboos with human blood. Any community in igboland that says no to the cleansing of their land with human blood will be declared an outcast (Osu)
An agonizing and painful journey of humiliation, deprivation, stigmatization, emotional trauma due to rejection starts once you are unfortunate to fall into one of the above. Our fathers in their days of darkness and ignorant sinned against humanity and God by shading innocent blood.
In1948, United Nations universal declaration guaranteed human Rights and freedom from any form of discrimination.
In 1956, the defunct eastern region assembly also abolished it.

THE TRADITIONALIST/BIAFRAN
We say NO to the world declaration and the Nigerian constitution; that says free your own brother, but we run to the UN, the western World to complain about what they have refused to give to us. We held-on tenaciously to the evil our fathers meted on innocent human beings who were just venerable at a time and were taken advantage of. We discriminate against Our Own, all in the name of a deity and chief priests that exist only in Nollywood movies. Our Own, who's in the struggle with us. They endured genocidal massacre in defense for our freedom and are marginalized with us. They are shouting RESTRUCTURE with us and they are agitating for Biafra with us; we appear to be tightly knit together, yet we refused to set Our Own free.
We have unknowingly fallen in love with them, made love to them and it all felt so good. The dead deity didn't kill us cos they don't have power to do so. What we are doing to our own is the same as what they doing to us. Their fathers told them that we are their Osu/slave; that we are not equal to them though the constitution says otherwise . They were told that they are born to rule and should never let the igbos/biafra(Osu) go; they are also holding on firmly to it. He that goes to equity must go with clean hands!

THE CHRISTAINS.
I read that 70% of igbos are Christians and that we also discriminate against the ones our fathers tagged Osu. Our fathers agreed to the cleansing of the land with human blood, but their fathers said NO. Our fathers bought their innocent fathers that were kidnapped or stolen and they are victimized. Their fathers said no to a wicked king and was banished, but ours supported the wicked king. They (outcast) forgave us without us asking for forgiveness yet we refused to accept them as onebody in Christ. God says.. I will visit the sins of the fathers upon their children, even unto their third generations Ex34:6-7. You can not be a new creature in Christ if you still believe in Osu caste practice cos old things have not passed away in your life(2cor5:17). Our Lord Jesus Christ died for the whole world : for the jews and the gentals, but we are still looking backwards cos we do not truly believe in the finished work of Jesus at the cross. It's inconceivable that we all have destroyed and abandoned our family shrines, yet obey the laws of the deity that says they are untouchable. You are a polytheist, Your serving multiple gods and God frowns at it.....have no other God beside me. (Ex20:5). Have you ever wondered why they are so prosperous,? God loves them.... They have abandoned the deity and genuinely given their life to Christ. Heaven is our destination as Christians. Let's repent from the wickedness of our fathers. Let our light shine so bright that the world will see it. What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and end up in hell. Titles and donations in the church and being the Priest's or Pastor's favorite will not take you to heaven. Jesus says.. Whatever you do to your brother; that you do into me. You have rejected and discriminated against Jesus each time you do so to them. Life is vanity and God is Love. All shall die, and after death comes judgement cos Heaven is real!

You may not totally agree with me but it's time we abandoned this inhuman and despicable practice as a people. It's an injustice against the innocent and we shouldn't pride in it
Jesus says.. Give to Caesar what is Caesar and to God what is God. (mtt22:15). This command of Jesus summarizes the relationship between Christianity, secular world and society. Christ has set all free... Give it to Him. UN has abolished.... Give it to them. The Nigerian constitution and Eastern region says let go... Let them go.
It could be an Osu blood and doctor that saved your life during that surgery, yet they are untouchable. The sperm you bought at the sperm bank and the child you adopted may have come from the one you call untouchable. Some are Pastors and Revs, they lay hands on your head and you believe in their annoiting, yet you say you can't marry them. Pls Let's not continue in the ignorant of our fathers. We have a better chance to a better life. They are sweet and nice people. The free borns should start a movement to set their captives free. One love!, join our group to set the osu free on bbm pin D8D2FD2B

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? by AyoolaIgwe(m): 3:12pm On Oct 30, 2017
odumchi:

In Igboland, the osu caste is prevalent wherever Nri culture/influence is most felt, meaning Anambra and parts of Imo. It's non-existent in (I dare to say) all of Abia, most (if not all) of Ebonyi, Rivers, and parts of Delta.
Don't dare to say it again den...lolzzzzzz... I'm from Abia state (Umuahia South). When we went calling at the village, my mum noticed my closeness with one babe & she called me aside & said dat the girl is an OSU I should be careful. When I asked her the meaning she made all these plenty explanation. Itz in all igbo speaking States.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos In Diaspora Build Mud Houses With Whites To Exhibit Culture / Pictures From The First Coronation Anniversary Of Olu Of Warri / Red-head African People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.