Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

"I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? (60328 Views)

What's The English Word For "Shakara" / Funny Facts About English Language / New Word In The English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 10:31am On Oct 31, 2012
megxo: well, dats d effect of "chatting"...........soon we'll start seeing "lmao" in professional write ups
gringringringrin
LWKMD don enter since...abi u no knw wen obasanjo's "i de laff" made banner headlines on our national dailies?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 10:32am On Oct 31, 2012
caukerzee: i don't for the idiat oh. Thats what i wanted to ask him.
fall from sky
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by redsun(m): 10:35am On Oct 31, 2012
dabigwalls:

And in what language is this verbose exposé coming in please? Efik, Ibibio, Yorubawa or Kanuri? Awaiting your answer please.

The dog language,the one u understand beta. U and i are inherently born with lids on our necks,but i am struggling to free myself because i have seen light. While u one the othe hand is entangling urself more because u roam in darkness.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Emdee590(m): 10:38am On Oct 31, 2012
HQ: I'm is correct.

Oh wait. Now if you're hoping to correct Nigerian youths, it's almost impossible. Text and IM has ruined it all. undecided

True talk...IM is the root of our blunders
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by caukerzee(m): 10:49am On Oct 31, 2012
@redsun or whatever you call yourself. You just prooved how much of a fool you are. Mental slavery has absolutely nothing to do with spoken language. It's a fact that english has done alot more good than harm to this country and other english speaking african countries alike. How do you think Nigeria has been able to stay one even in the heavy presence of diversity in ethnicity in this country? How would and igbo man evectively communicate to an hausa man who does't understand igbo or a youruba man to an efik, etc ? How were you able to pass that message across to everyone here even though we don't all belong to the same ethnic group? How many countries in the world would you go to and speak igbo, hausa or yourba and be recognised or accepted? How many phones would be encrypted in your native dialet by the mobile phone makers? Do you think those japanees, germans, portugees, spanish, french, chineese, arabs, etc wanting to learn english are fools? Dude you should feel lucky that you can speak the greatest and most popular language in the world rather than crying foul and insulting people for learning english. Funny enough if nigeria did not have english, there would be no nairaland. If anybody is a monkey here, you are the one. What an ignorant excuse to be lazy.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by caukerzee(m): 10:53am On Oct 31, 2012
caseless: fall from sky
Die headlong in the lagoon.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by solomonofremu(m): 11:03am On Oct 31, 2012
THERE IS THIS EXPRESION I USUALLY HERE WHENEVER A SPEECH IS BEEN MADE AMONG SOME INTELLEGENT NIGERIANS THAT ENLISH IS NOT EXPRESSIONAL IS THIS TRUE FRIENDS ?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 11:10am On Oct 31, 2012
There is no need to call names because of differences in opinions. I share the view that English language is a destructive influence in Nigeria and Africa generally.Northern Nigeria has a slightly different story.
It is a mistake to believe MOST Nigerians speak or understand English. Anyone who is familiar with Northern Nigeria knows this is simply not true.
Quite often you hear Nigerians boasting to other Africans about Achebe or Wole Soyinka.
Here is some food for thought; Achebe has been translated into dozens of languages apparently but has his "Things Fall Apart " been translated into Igbo, could it possibly be better appreciated in any other language than Igbo?Has it been translated into ANY African language.
No one is saying we should not learn English but we should not "shame" ourselves for shortcomings like "Shina Peters and his Soonest Recover". We get that all the time from many other Nationalities.
What is more shameful is our shortcomings in OUR OWN languages and our clear desire to commit linguistic suicide in the name of "CIVILIZATION". YES LEARN ENGLISH BUT LEARN YOUR OWN LANGUAGE FIRST AND MORE any contrary practice is self destructive. IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE FOR A YORUBA MAN TO BE CIVILIZED AND EDUCATED WITHOUT A WORD OF ENGLISH Sadly fewer and fewer of our people believe this and that is the nub of the matter; by default we have decided our languages should die without considering the implications for our self esteem.

I think this work Decolonising the Mind: The Politics of Language in African Literature by Ngugi wa Thiong’o is an introduction to some pertinent ideas though I do not agree with him 100% what is key is we realise OUR languages are dying and we are CHEERING
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ashmanpolo: 11:36am On Oct 31, 2012
U go fear fear when u hear some people calling ATM, MTN
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by sashaa(f): 12:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
I also noticed some people write ''is'' instead of ''it's''.
E.g 'thank God is friday'
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 12:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
omo_to_dun:

Both are correct.

"Organisation" is British while "organization" is American.
did u use typewriter to type this?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 1:02pm On Oct 31, 2012
caukerzee: Die headlong in the lagoon.
i wish u what u wished me. Anyway, before that, u can relocate NJ and have a feel of wat hurricane SANDY feels like or go kiss lion.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ohisola(f): 1:16pm On Oct 31, 2012
eduson5[b:
[/b]5]**organization
**sophisticated aboki
. Cheii. I thought that word was ORGANISATION undecided undecided
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 1:29pm On Oct 31, 2012
sashaa: I also noticed some people write is instead of it's.
E.g 'thank God is friday'
hmmm..sis, 'is' 'its'...putting it dis way wld have helped us(the readers) to get the msg. Anyway, u ar right.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ciphoenix: 1:36pm On Oct 31, 2012
redsun:

The dog language,the one u understand beta. U and i are inherently born with lids on our necks,but i am struggling to free myself because i have seen light. While u one the othe hand is entangling urself more because u roam in darkness.
the you still applies. Hence "are" will be in order smiley

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 31, 2012
Please is there no word like STUPIDEST?

I used it and people were laughing at me saying the right expression is 'most stup/d.

Is that true please?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ciphoenix: 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2012
solomon ofremu: THERE IS THIS EXPRESION I USUALLY HERE WHENEVER A SPEECH IS BEEN MADE AMONG SOME INTELLEGENT NIGERIANS THAT ENLISH IS NOT EXPRESSIONAL IS THIS TRUE FRIENDS ?
HEAR smiley
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by strangest(m): 1:47pm On Oct 31, 2012
IbroSaunks: Here's my question. How often do you see "gonna" or "twenny" in American official publications?

Thank God you said official, writing on Nairaland is not an official publication therefore people should stop correcting others on NL
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ciphoenix: 2:05pm On Oct 31, 2012
strangest:

Thank God you said official, writing on Nairaland is not an official publication therefore people should stop correcting others on NL
i'm guessing they don't use those in their forums
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Timijo(m): 2:08pm On Oct 31, 2012
Dr. Wise:
Please is there no word like STUPIDEST?

I used it and people were laughing at me saying the right expression is 'most stup/d.

Is that true please?
There is. It is the superlative of stupid. The problem with some people is that they don't want to learn from those who are ahead of them in knowledge or May be you didn't use it correctly as the strongest adjective. Below are examples:
1. The stupidest thing she has ever done is fighting in the public.
2. He is the stupidest among the three boys.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 31, 2012
Timijo: There is. It is the superlative of stupid. The problem with some people is that they don't want to learn from those who are ahead of them in knowledge or May be you didn't use it correctly as the strongest adjective. Below are examples:
1. The stupidest thing she has ever done is fighting in the public.
2. He is the stupidest among the three boys.

Thank you my brother.

I told my friend that going to sleep over in his girlfriend's place was the stupidest thing to do and the next moment they bursted into an uncontrollable laugher over the word 'stupidest'.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by redsun(m): 2:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
Ode,those humans u are comparing urself with are not primates like u. They want to learn english mainly for things like tourism,in the instance of meeting overbloated and dumb english who can hardly pronounce a foreign name written in their own alphabets.

Mentally enslaved nigaz like u are like broken horses,too trumatized to feel d pain and shame of subhuman status.Like oyinbo caged primates use for laboratory researches.Woe to you nigaz that refuse to see,that has made d blackman an epitome of inferiority and backwardness that he is today.Woe to u monkeys.

[quote author=caukerzee]
@redsun or whatever you call yourself. You just prooved how much of a fool you are. Mental slavery has absolutely nothing to do with spoken language. It's a fact that english has done alot more good than harm to this country and other english speaking african countries alike. How do you think Nigeria has been able to stay one even in the heavy presence of diversity in ethnicity in this country? How would and igbo man evectively communicate to an hausa man who does't understand igbo or a youruba man to an efik, etc ? How were you able to pass that message across to everyone here even though we don't all belong to the same ethnic group? How many countries in the world would you go to and speak igbo, hausa or yourba and be recognised or accepted? How many phones would be encrypted in your native dialet by the mobile phone makers? Do you think those japanees, germans, portugees, spanish, french, chineese, arabs, etc wanting to learn english are fools? Dude you shou
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Timijo(m): 2:27pm On Oct 31, 2012
Dr. Wise:

Thank you my brother.

I told my friend that going to sleep over in his girlfriend's place was the stupidest thing to do and the next moment they bursted into an uncontrollable laugher over the word 'stupidest'.
The sentence is correct. Their problem is ignorance and they are not ready to learn new things.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 2:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
Ahead in knowledge of another man's language.
Stupidest is a valid word but an Americanism,a relatively recent addition to the accepted lexicon . We too, if must speak English, can and should have our "OWN ENGLISH" .It is quite difficult to express African thought otherwise. I certainly would struggle to translate " E get as e dey do me" to British English or E ku ijoko from Yoruba. Whatever happens we must upgrade our own language for the demands of the 21st century and reject the notion that they are intrinsically unfit and therefore inevitably doomed to extinction
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Wallie(m): 2:38pm On Oct 31, 2012
Dr. Wise:

Thank you my brother.

The use of "in" is superfluous and not needed.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Timijo(m): 2:40pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0: Ahead in knowledge of another man's language.
Stupidest is a valid word but an Americanism,a relatively recent addition to the accepted lexicon . We too, if must speak English, can and should have our "OWN ENGLISH" .It is quite difficult to express African thought otherwise. I certainly would struggle to translate "
E get as e dey do me"
That statement is not our language but pidgin
E ku ijoko from Yoruba.
The translation is 'sit tight'
Whatever happens we must upgrade our own language for the demands of the 21st century and reject the notion that they are intrinsically unfit and therefore inevitably doomed to extinction
Our three major languages in Nigeria are Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. So, which one do you want to upgrade?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Wallie(m): 2:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0: Ahead in knowledge of another man's language.
Stupidest is a valid word but an Americanism,a relatively recent addition to the accepted lexicon . We too, if must speak English, can and should have our "OWN ENGLISH" .It is quite difficult to express African thought otherwise. I certainly would struggle to translate [b]" E get as e dey do me" [/b]to British English or E ku ijoko from Yoruba. Whatever happens we must upgrade our own language for the demands of the 21st century and reject the notion that they are intrinsically unfit and therefore inevitably doomed to extinction

" E get as e dey do me" = (1) I feel uneasy. (2) I feel funny. (3) I feel uncomfortable. grin

On a more serious note, languages do get influenced/changed based on a regional dialect but getting the gatekeepers of English to recognize the new word will be an uphill battle.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 2:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
Timijo: That statement is not our language but pidgin The translation is 'sit tight' Our three major languages in Nigeria are Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. So, which one do you want to upgrade?

Not OUR language but pidgin.
YOU are 5TUPID
Sit tight you are STUPIDER

Which one do I one to upgrade you are STUPIDEST

Na monkey and monkey dey jump.

5tupid people and 5tupid people mix ideas.
It should be clear to you that there is no scope for intellectual commerce between us. Stay away from me and learn to shut up if you have nothing to say
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Timijo(m): 2:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0:

Not OUR language but pidgin.
YOU are 5TUPID
Sit tight you are STUPIDER

Which one do I one to upgrade you are STUPIDEST

Na monkey and monkey dey jump.

5tupid people and 5tupid people mix ideas.
It should be clear to you that there is no scope for intellectual commerce between us. Stay away from me and learn to shut up if you have nothing to say
I laughed at your comment. What have I said to deserve this insult? Anyway, you may insult me, but I will not, because I don't know you, but I know myself.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 2:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
Wallie:

" E get as e dey do me" = (1) I feel uneasy. (2) I feel funny. (3) I feel uncomfortable. grin

On a more serious note, languages do get influenced/changed based on a regional dialect but getting the gatekeepers of English to recognize the new word will be an uphill battle.
Gatekeepers? You don't need anyone's permission to be gatekeepers and that is the problem really (INFERIORITY COMPLEX)
Did Americans,Australians Indians South Africans take anyone's permission ? No ! They just went on and created forms that have utility for them. They wrote books and made films and if you wanted to access that material you did it on their own terms and now we talk of "Indian English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_English,South African English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_English but NOT Nigerian English. Today many Africans know the words; Chineke,Oga etc or the typically Nigerian constructions. Please now,Sorry now,Oya now Are you less busy,Yes oh etc.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 3:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
Timijo: I laughed at your comment. What have I said to deserve this insult? Anyway, you may insult me, but I will not, because I don't know you, but I know myself.
what have you done ?? just being yourself.That is annoying enough !!
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Timijo(m): 3:12pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0: what have you done ?? just being yourself.That is annoying enough !!
I demand an apology from you, for insulting me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Curious / DARK MYSTERIES: SEASON 1 / Oyeku:story Of Lust,injustice, Destiny And Human Wickedness, 18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.