Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,585 members, 7,801,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL (69760 Views)

Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability / Mercedes Benz C200 W202 Vs Honda Accord Ex I4 / Reliability Of Mercedes Benz C240/c320 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 28, 2012
Hello people, I will like to know how reliable mercedez C-180 96-2001 models are. Thank you
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 28, 2012
especially for travelling
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 1:04am On Oct 29, 2012
smartchoice: Hello people, I will like to know how reliable mercedez C-180 96-2001 models are. Thank you
W202 c180 is very fuel efficient, reliable but...its a very 'slow' car, if you love driving fast, you may not be impressed with the power, but you'll be fine with it.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 3:17am On Oct 29, 2012
is it slower than the 230E?
yungboss:
W202 c180 is very fuel efficient, reliable but...its a very 'slow' car, if you love driving fast, you may not be impressed with the power, but you'll be fine with it.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by austin360: 12:45am On Oct 31, 2012
c 180 is v reliable it is a machine has good.balance on express. there is nothing compare to benz it no 1 car .

3 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 5:51am On Oct 31, 2012
Thanks guys, got mine!

2 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 7:08am On Oct 31, 2012
smartchoice: Thanks guys, got mine!
congrats, did you get the W202 or W203? both models are nice
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
w202 sir
yungboss:
congrats, did you get the W202 or W203? both models are nice
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 9:04pm On Nov 04, 2012
hey guys. Just got mine too. Does any1 have d english owners manual? I nid d pdf ASAP. Twas a german version dat came wit mine. Plz 4ward it or send a link wia I can download it to deleonipede@gmail.com
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 10:28pm On Nov 05, 2012
smartchoice: is it slower than the 230E?

Oh no! tho the auto transmission may be slow,its quite a lot faster than the 230E..just that its small engine will show up itself in the output noise when u pull it real hard to achieve that maximum acceleration in overtaking a rival vehicle: i have Benz 190 230E automatic wt very sound engine,its acceleration is very fast even while ac driven,my friends says it's d fastest they've ever seen; the speed is excellent but not without a shout as well..and i like driving fast too. Also, i have the c180 manual transmission,very rugged, its speed amazes me,though not without a shout too when engaged to do a very quick acceleration,compared to c220 and above model. But one thing very good about it, is its MPG(miles per gallon), this i know is dew to its small engine and horsepower, this engine last forever..the handling, smoothness and comfort is perfect, no rival in the Japanese world yet..One more problem, make sure u watch and change the harness wire on time before it expires(the wire expires after 10 yrs) too bad and affect your brain box, else you'll hate this car, cos u wouldn't know what to diagnose anymore if this should happen..the wire harness price have really come down in recent time. Its my best machine so far..I love this two machines

3 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 1:59am On Nov 06, 2012
how would you know when to change the wire harness?
au.hanson:

Oh no! tho the auto transmission may be slow,its quite a lot faster than the 230E..just that its small engine will show up itself in the output noise when u pull it real hard to achieve that maximum acceleration in overtaking a rival vehicle: i have Benz 190 230E automatic wt very sound engine,its acceleration very fast even while ac driven,my friends says it's d fastest they've ever seen; the speed is excellent but not without a shout as well..and i like driving fast too. Also, i have the c180 manual transmission,very rugged, its speed amazes me,though not without a shout too when engaged to do a very quick acceleration,compared to c200 and above models. But one thing very good about it, is its mileage, this i know is dew to its small engine and horsepower, this engine last forever..the handling, smoothness and comfort is perfect, no rival in the Japanese world yet..One more problem, make sure u watch and change the hareness wire on time before it expires(the wire expires after 10 yrs) too bad and affect your brain box, else you'll hate this car, cos u wouldn't know what to diagnose anymore if this should happen..the wire harness price have really come down in recent time. Its my best machine so far..I love this two machines
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 4:15am On Nov 06, 2012
hanson, you mean 190 2.3 right, is it a 6cyl engine? How is the acceleration? I still love that version of 190
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 4:25am On Nov 06, 2012
smartchoice: how would you know when to change the wire harness?
well said au.hanson, 'slow' here does not mean it does not operate fast, i was speaking comparing it to other cars and No of course, it wasn't meant for 'speed' so for me, its an amazing machine...
When i used the W202 220, i had it going well. From time to time, do a visual inspection of the engine bay wires. I did dug into a few wires in my engine and noticed they were going bad, but i never had problems that bedevilled me. Told the buyer before i sold it.What particular year is your car? Take it to an expert to get it inspected to ascertain the state of the engine bay wires. I did that, this will help you not to get caught in a puzzle. Goodluck buoy!
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 8:02pm On Nov 07, 2012
yungboss: hanson, you mean 190 2.3 right, is it a 6cyl engine? How is the acceleration? I still love that version of 190
No, its a 4 cyl engine(American Spec with performance Carsound 94006 2.5 in. cat double exhaust pipe) but very tight, i dnt let no one tamper with it, i maintain it well with direct belgium spares to replace any worn out part and make sure everything is in place, even the tiniest rubber, all yr round for 6 yrs now.see the attachmentt below

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 10:14pm On Nov 07, 2012
smartchoice: how would you know when to change the wire harness?

when u see the engine bay wire insulators cracks and start pilling off in the excess, also under the gear box for auto transmission, just know that they wud start bridging and cause u undesirable consequences . You can use sellotape to taper the ones under the gearbox carefully, while changing that of the engine bay totally with its exact corresponding type.

2 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 3:47am On Nov 08, 2012
au.hanson:

No, its a 4 cyl engine(American Spec with performance Carsound 94006 2.5 in. cat double exhaust pipe) but very tight, i dnt let no one tamper with it, i maintain it well with direct belgium spares to replace any worn out part and make sure everything is in place, even the tiniest rubber, all yr round for 6 yrs now.see the attachmentt below
beautiful Mercedes. Thought the 2.3s were 6potters.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 10, 2012
here comes the issue, discovered cracked wire harness, changed it and the car refused to start, rolls, sounds like it is about to start but never starting! undecided any clue NLers on what to to?
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 4:23am On Nov 11, 2012
smartchoice: here comes the issue, discovered cracked wire harness, changed it and the car refused to start, rolls, sounds like it is about to start but never starting! undecided any clue NLers on what to to?
do not set your mind on that just yet,...how bad are the wires? What part did you notice was rupturing? Do a general check, like your fuel pump check, what symptoms did it give prior to this present state? I'm no expert but might be of help in little things
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
wires were quite bad, changed them, changed the fuel pump also. prior to this it had the problem of not starting on time and at times going off on motion.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
also the valves that normally were supposed to carry air...like the V boot/w124 are filled with fuel? undecided
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by mbahonsebastian(m): 3:06am On Nov 14, 2012
Are there good mechanics for Benz around Lagos anyone can recommend? I want to go get the C180 auto transmission today.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 14, 2012
learnt of one at Trinity Olodi Apapa, his name is Happy call him on 08033190297
mbahonsebastian: Are there good mechanics for Benz around Lagos anyone can recommend? I want to go get the C180 auto transmission today.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 13, 2013
welcome to 2013. Did Abuja to Ekiti in W202 C180 with 25 litres! 9l/100km cheesy
what a great relief from my W124 230E caburretor modified engine 1L/4KM shocked!!!

2 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 8:14pm On Jan 13, 2013
smartchoice: welcome to 2013. Did Abuja to Ekiti in W202 C180 with 25 litres! 9l/100km cheesy
what a great relief from my W124 230E caburretor modified engine 1L/4KM shocked!!!

Bros, how did you do it? Mine (w202 c220 ) did over 40litres to oye. How can we meet? We nid 2 relate as I nid a gud mecho. contact me on Expecting ur contact. Tanx

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
with a/c on? Did my calc from the NNPC @ Gwagwalada. and without a/c, though a smaller engine C180, also used less than 30litres to Ado Ekiti. For a good mech where Ado/Abj?

jahjehova:

Bros, how did you do it? Mine (w202 c220 ) did over 40litres to oye. How can we meet? We nid 2 relate as I nid a gud mecho. contact me on 08060509817. Expecting ur contact. Tanx
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 9:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
smartchoice: with a/c on? Did my calc from the NNPC @ Gwagwalada. and without a/c, though a smaller engine C180, also used less than 30litres to Ado Ekiti. For a good mech where Ado/Abj?

witout ac bro. From dutse to oye, approx 40ltres wvout a/c. Mechanic? Ado. I'd lov 2 scan d car. Jst bot it in novemba. I nid 2 b sure its in gud condition. D rear view mirror lites blink alternately 4 a while wen I use d remote. I av dis feeling its consumption is high dou. Can U help? Tanx.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by AYOGHANDI: 4:57pm On Jan 18, 2013
Please go to Akure for a very good mechanic / diagnostics centre for your Mercedes Benz at Nuel & Partners Auto Garage Along Ondo Road. Call them on 08034618074. The 2 brothers managing this garage inherited it from their late father who was a Benz mechanic. Their blood is hot, they both read Mechanical & Automobile Engineering. Someone directed me to the garage while i was on vacation during the last Christmas after i have been ripped off in Warri & Ado Ekiti by "cut & nail mechanics" because the auto gear box of my C-Class 200 refused to shift from gear one. These guys were wonderful, i guess they should be in their late 20's. D fault was diagnosed & corrected and the car has been performing wonderfully well since then. Most of those mechanics brandishing diagnosing machines are illiterates who cannot read what is indicated on the computer only for them to tell you "it has entered code" after removing the said code, the problem reoccurs again and you will always be at the receiving end.

2 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by yungboss(m): 5:12pm On Jan 18, 2013
jahjehova:
witout ac bro. From dutse to oye, approx 40ltres wvout a/c. Mechanic? Ado. I'd lov 2 scan d car. Jst bot it in novemba. I nid 2 b sure its in gud condition. D rear view mirror lites blink alternately 4 a while wen I use d remote. I av dis feeling its consumption is high dou. Can U help? Tanx.
its definitely consuming fuel, but the red-green light up there has to do with the security system
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2013
AYO GHANDI: Please go to Akure for a very good mechanic / diagnostics centre for your Mercedes Benz at Nuel & Partners Auto Garage Along Ondo Road. Call them on 08034618074. The 2 brothers managing this garage inherited it from their late father who was a Benz mechanic. Their blood is hot, they both read Mechanical & Automobile Engineering. Someone directed me to the garage while i was on vacation during the last Christmas after i have been ripped off in Warri & Ado Ekiti by "cut & nail mechanics" because the auto gear box of my C-Class 200 refused to shift from gear one. These guys were wonderful, i guess they should be in their late 20's. D fault was diagnosed & corrected and the car has been performing wonderfully well since then. Most of those mechanics brandishing diagnosing machines are illiterates who cannot read what is indicated on the computer only for them to tell you "it has entered code" after removing the said code, the problem reoccurs again and you will always be at the receiving end.
Tanx bro. I got dia number. Will go dia soonest.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 9:40pm On Jan 18, 2013
yungboss:
its definitely consuming fuel, but the red-green light up there has to do with the security system
the red-green lite for security system? Yh I know. 2 questions bro. Watz d way out 4 d fuel consumption. How do I rectify d security issue? Tanx.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by AYOGHANDI: 9:53am On Jan 19, 2013
jahjehova:
the red-green lite for security system? Yh I know. 2 questions bro. Watz d way out 4 d fuel consumption. How do I rectify d security issue? Tanx.
Both the green and the red lights are for the security system. The red light on the inner mirror blinks when you use the remote control unit to lock the doors while green one blinks when you open the doors with the remote. As for the security issue, please this is not made to be taken to "cut & nail mechanics", always do a scan from qualified diagnostics centre. This car is a wonderful machine & powerfully rugged, the engine can last "4ever". I am sure the Germans must be regretting why they made this car so strong. This car has no match in the Toyota category.

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 11:24pm On Jan 22, 2013
smartchoice: welcome to 2013. Did Abuja to Ekiti in W202 C180 with 25 litres! 9l/100km cheesy

Smartchoice , is this ride manual or automatic? Mine is manual.. , but the car wud refuse to start leaving me to the mercy of my benz 190..An auto electrician with a similar ride advices that he should come and change the wire harness and the brain box from 018 serial to 015 serial(the uncoded brain box type) to save the the stress of code entering in future.. what do u advice? Would this have any effect on the car, or any alteration?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. / Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos) / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.