Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,682 members, 7,805,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell (13774 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by mrmayor(m): 3:08pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:

My dear, the story is not really educative. The story is more about the TRAUMA OF SCD. If you want to be educated about SS disease, you should be Learning about how the sufferers manage SCD.
What in the op's story signifies how she is managing it. Is it the pains she is Having? is the numerous visits to the hospital?
Freecocoa, what is eduacative in this story?

After reading your post, I have read and reread the original post, trying to see if indeed she's craving for attention as you alleged, I find nothing to support your line of thought. Her post is really referring to the numerous threads on people with AS genotype getting married and having children, the Pros & Cons. The OP, is only saying STOP, THINK BEFORE you have that SS baby because your beautiful Baby would go through what I have been through.I don't see what is Cry Baby about that.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 3:17pm On Oct 29, 2012
mrmayor:

After reading your post, I have read and reread the original post, trying to see if indeed she's craving for attention as you alleged, I find nothing to support your line of thought. Her post is really referring to the numerous threads on people with AS genotype getting married and having children, the Pros & Cons. The OP, is only saying STOP, THINK BEFORE you have that SS baby because your beautiful Baby would go through what I have been through.I don't see what is Cry Baby about that.

I thought we have gone past this stage. Read my subsequent replies after the post you quoted.
Moreover I just opened a thread, about the FACTS and MYTHS of SCD.
I am not encouraging AS/AS to get married.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by UmericanGirl(f): 3:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
The saddest part of the whole story for me was when she said she felt like a burden to her family for always being sick.
cry I pray my "sick" child never feels that way.

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Ariyke: 3:59pm On Oct 29, 2012
So touching story sad@ Op God will continue to strenghten and be with U
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Odunnu: 4:07pm On Oct 29, 2012
OP: I read thru your post and I must salute your courage, your strength and resilient mindset. You are an awesome woman.

I am of the AS genotype. Never bothered, until a relationship i'd nurtured and toiled in crumbled like a pack of cards.
My ex was AS too and had a sister who was SS. Like you, she was always the sick one and with each sickness one cant help but pray she just goes home to rest. She was always in pains, severe pains. She missed several WAEC exams due to her illness she also missed JAMB too.
Today, even though she's still sickly, she's making impact with her life. She's been able to understand herself and symptoms so there's hardly an emergency crisis for her. I wish you strenght. Theres so much you can still do. Dont feel like a burden. Those who care all wish you well
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 29, 2012
its another thing to be able to read but the most important of it all is to be able to comprehend. @ OP i get your message loud and clear jare oshee! and for those who said you are craving for attention, dont blame them o they are only able to read and not get what the whole write up is all about...they were busy playing commando and ten-ten when others were learning english comprehension in school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by ooua: 4:11pm On Oct 29, 2012
Tlinkz: Thank you all for the feedback.

This thread was only created for enlightenment and I hope it serves its purpose[/b]

Thank you

You know people have different ways of understanding things, to the wicked every action is reveiwed in that light. Some of us read your write up and did not see you seeking for any pity party, someothers read and had their own views which is left to them. I have been there indirectly I truely understand what you are trying to put accros. I do not wise the pain for my worst enemy and the emotional truma for the siblings/parents cannot be expressed. Yet this is one disorder we can eradicate if people are enlightened. I thank God for your life, go ahead and live it to the fullest giving God the Glory, there are somethings we cannot explain but when we get to heaven we will see Him as He is, and I hope there will be opportunity for us to know why somethings are the way they are.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Idowuogbo(f): 4:19pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:

I thought we have gone past this stage. Read my subsequent replies after the post you quoted.
Moreover I just opened a thread, about the FACTS and MYTHS of SCD.
I am not encouraging AS/AS to get married.
calm down! i understand your message but d poster chose to do it her way not ur way.Encourage her and stop picking faults on how she decides to deliver her message.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by kissCleo: 4:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
A touching piece:Godbless your heart op,n I hope dis serves as a warning 2 evry1.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 5:13pm On Oct 29, 2012
Idowuogbo:
calm down! i understand your message but d poster chose to do it her way not ur way.Encourage her and stop picking faults on how she decides to deliver her message.

you are one person I secretly admire on NL. Believe, I have already calmed down.
Like I said in one of my post, She is a kindred spirit. I understand her message perfectly.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by SewaGRITS(f): 5:22pm On Oct 29, 2012
@OP, thank u for sharing ur story, and thank u to all others who share their experiences and provide thoughts & information with an aim to educate. I'm in the US, and I have to say that this thread has really opened my eyes. All I learned about SCD, I learned in middle and high school when we were taught about genetic disorders...just like Tay Sachs affects those of Jewish descent and cystic fibrosis affects mainly whites. In my life I have only met two people with SCD and they seemed healthy and happy. "Genotype" isn't part of our dating or marriage vernacular, really. It boggles my mind at how pervasive an issue it is there compared to here - -even among African Americans. So my question is why the high incidences in Nigeria? In the US, 1:500 babies are born with SCD vs. 10:500 in Nigeria...10%,of the African American population carries the trait vs. 24% in Nigeria. One researcher described Nigeria as "the largest sickle cell gene pool in the world". So why such a high incidence? Is neonatal screening compulsory? Despite our low incidence (comparatively), I read it is compulsory here. Finally, and personally, how do you go about testing your genotype? I married a Nigerian, and this was something that was never a part of our dating/prewedding conversation. I love him to pieces so it wouldn't make a difference at this point in terms of marriage, but certainly in having children...at least biological children. Again, OP u have my admiration and respect as well as all others who are dealing with this debilitating disease.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Idowuogbo(f): 5:33pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:
[b]you are one person I secretly admire on NL.[/b]Believe, I have already calmed down.
Like I said in one of my post, She is a kindred spirit. I understand her message perfectly.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked really? how cute! *blushing*
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by ifyann002(f): 6:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
Well I. Am also a sickle cell patient and I also lived half my life in d hospital and near death experinces even d doctors were still wonderin wat I was still doin alife well I hve 2 healthy kids and a karin husband I still thnk God fr every thing

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by MrsChima(f): 6:40pm On Oct 29, 2012
Anyway..Tin

The world isnt over because you have the sickles...many of my patients have the sickles and living productive lives. They are armed with education of proper foods...supplements...and meds. Keep an active life and do not stress. It will be okay...my oldest sickle client is 55.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by majekleo(m): 7:07pm On Oct 29, 2012
After reading this I almost shed tears. I lost an female friend days ago to this same ailment. A bright and good computer engineer. May her soul RIP. Amen.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Odunnu: 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2012
Idowuogbo:
And somebody was saying you cant speak English tongue
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by babysnogls: 7:11pm On Oct 29, 2012
I do believe there's notin God cant do. I was AS and about to marry anoda AS but my dad put his feet down! My mum and i prayed 4 a change in my genotype. We prayd and believd and it changd! My dad stil dint believe. Took me to his own clinic and i stil was AA! I got married, av 2 kids, both AA! Just believe..

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Idowuogbo(f): 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
Odunnu:
And somebody was saying you cant speak English tongue
hhahha!! thank Ja for google my sista! grin grin grin grin
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Odunnu: 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2012
Idowuogbo:
hhahha!! thank Ja for google my sista! grin grin grin grin
craze girl. grin
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 7:47pm On Oct 29, 2012
babysnogls: I do believe there's notin God cant do. I was AS and about to marry anoda AS but my dad put his feet down! My mum and i prayed 4 a change in my genotype. We prayd and believd and it changd! My dad stil dint believe. Took me to his own clinic and i stil was AA! I got married, av 2 kids, both AA! Just believe..

At the expense of sounding like a doubting thomas, I will say that you were always an AA, but your lab result came out as AS. I maybe wrong though (miracles still happen abi).
But, I have also had a lab test returned as AA. (This is not joke).
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Phoebel(f): 8:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
@op God dat has been helping u shall continue to d end.Thanks for sharing dis i hope dis will help some pple making silly mistakes now.it is beta to lose a relationship now than to go 2ru d regrets of tomorrow.@op God dat has been helping u shall continue to d end.Thanks for sharing dis i hope dis will help some pple making silly mistakes now.it is beta to lose a relationship now than to go 2ru d regrets of tomorrow.@op God dat has been helping u shall continue to d end.Thanks for sharing dis i hope dis will help some pple making silly mistakes now.it is beta to lose a relationship now than to go 2ru d regrets of tomorrow.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by cyntlating(f): 9:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
Thank U dearest poster,am a victm bt after reading ur post i felt relived n d urge to move on witout any grudges.Tank U
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 29, 2012
babysnogls: I do believe there's notin God cant do. I was AS and about to marry anoda AS but my dad put his feet down! My mum and i prayed 4 a change in my genotype. We prayd and believd and it changd! My dad stil dint believe. Took me to his own clinic and i stil was AA! I got married, av 2 kids, both AA! Just believe..
wow!
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Idowuogbo(f): 10:17pm On Oct 29, 2012
cyntlating: Thank U dearest poster,am a victm bt after reading ur post i felt relived n d urge to move on witout any grudges.Tank U
Awww... Am happy for u! Great job poster! Mission accomplished#
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:

At the expense of sounding like a doubting thomas, I will say that you were always an AA, but your lab result came out as AS. I maybe wrong though (miracles still happen abi).
But, I have also had a lab test returned as AA. (This is not joke).
I strongly believe in God and His power to make anything possible. Doctors have waited for me to die up to 5 times. I've had crisis where I had to be dosed with anaesthetic as normal pain killers were not effective. The anaesthetic only lasts for an hour or so before I start screaming till the next day when another dose is administered.

Psychologists may want to say I had one reason or the other why I never gave up the ghost but I know I had non. I really couldn't relate with peoples feelings towards me. I am still learning to do that, most people call me heartless but that's just me.

I can't find anyone or anything else to give credit to but God, only Him. With Him all things are possible.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by pinky85: 10:56pm On Oct 29, 2012
Ujujoan:

Wow . . . I'm loving you right now! cool cool

Kind of you. Thanks !
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by etenyong(m): 11:20pm On Oct 29, 2012
My hrtfelt sympathy goes to all those who are suffering from this kind of sickness. God will surely see them thru.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by pinky85: 11:22pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:

My dear am not being emotional at all. The op, going by this story is by far younger than me and I bet you, she will get to the REAL STIGMA stage.
That is why it looks as if am against her story. She needs to start building a HUGE SELF ESTEEM, cos it will really help her go through this stage.

She needs to count all her blessings and weigh them against the "percieved" curses.

@Abali

I know what you mean about stigma. There some type of stigma you can avoid and some you wouldn't.
Growing up I had so many experiences, its like they're better left unsaid. Also, pray that when the time for marriage comes these 'stigma' won't pop up again.
You'll find people 20 years older than you who don't even know how to be 'mature' about your condtion. Some people even believe you did something in a past life or your parents sins put you in this situation.
The truth is you grow a thick skin as you grow older,because you know you are a lot STRONGER than all those people. You've fought more battles than they can ever imagine themselves confronting and you WON.

Just be thankful for all the good days of health, don't allow the prejudice and perceptions of others stress you out.

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:49am On Oct 30, 2012
SewaG.R.I.T.S:
@OP, thank u for sharing ur story, and thank u to all others who share their experiences and provide thoughts & information with an aim to educate. I'm in the US, and I have to say that this thread has really opened my eyes. All I learned about SCD, I learned in middle and high school when we were taught about genetic disorders...just like Tay Sachs affects those of Jewish descent and cystic fibrosis affects mainly whites. In my life I have only met two people with SCD and they seemed healthy and happy. "Genotype" isn't part of our dating or marriage vernacular, really. It boggles my mind at how pervasive an issue it is there compared to here - -even among African Americans. So my question is why the high incidences in Nigeria? In the US, 1:500 babies are born with SCD vs. 10:500 in Nigeria...10%,of the African American population carries the trait vs. 24% in Nigeria. One researcher described Nigeria as "the largest sickle cell gene pool in the world". So why such a high incidence? Is neonatal screening compulsory? Despite our low incidence (comparatively), I read it is compulsory here. Finally, and personally, how do you go about testing your genotype? I married a Nigerian, and this was something that was never a part of our dating/prewedding conversation. I love him to pieces so it wouldn't make a difference at this point in terms of marriage, but certainly in having children...at least biological children. Again, OP u have my admiration and respect as well as all others who are dealing with this debilitating disease.

the incidence is high among black people in general and is not a wholly nigerian phenomenon. The researcher who said Nigeria has the largest SCD gene pool in the world most have his facts upside down.

SCD is simply a genetic mutation that occurred as an adaptation to malaria which is endemic in subsaharan africa.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by SimplYeahmee(m): 2:02am On Oct 30, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]i wish to laff n cry at d same time. many of u tink sca peeps need ur pity, bt d truth dey are much more stronger dan most of u. be thankful to God dat u neva had to experience such pains dat u wud wish for death in its place. God has his reasons for making sca peeps go thru such.

All i ask is, don't pity us or try to shield us. we know our limits, we dnt need u to kip telling it to us.. As for me, it is wen u tell me i cant do sumtin dat i go ahead and prove to u i am more dan capable.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by SewaGRITS(f): 3:03am On Oct 30, 2012
davidylan:

the incidence is high among black people in general and is not a wholly nigerian phenomenon. The researcher who said Nigeria has the largest SCD gene pool in the world most have his facts upside down.

SCD is simply a genetic mutation that occurred as an adaptation to malaria which is endemic in subsaharan africa.

I get that it's a genetic mutation endemic to those of African origin or ancestry, which allowed for survival against malaria. As I said, we learned all that in middle and high school genetics. While the researcher's statement is hyperbole, it doesn't change the incidence ratios. So my question is why such major discrepancy in incidence? African Americans aren't affected by it to the same degree. And it certainly isn't such a pervasive part of the life here...no one makes dating choices based on it. Today, I even asked several colleagues and others I encountered how many SCD individuals they knew and the most was none at all and a few said 1-2. So if it is an adaptation to deal with malaria, and malaria hasn't been an issue in this country for generations, could that be the reason for the discrepancy in incidence rates? If so, could public health policy be geared towards eradicating malaria and thereby eventually significantly decrease SCD? I'm no expert. I'm just wondering and thinking aloud.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by n0m0705(m): 6:28am On Oct 30, 2012
bamto: @ OP. Thanks for sharing. It's indeed a gory sight to behold when the crises start. I've two cousins with the sickle cell anemia. I really feel for them. But it's not only AS and AS combination that is risky you know? Any two carriers are. AS/AS, AS/SS, AS/SC, AS/AC, AC/AC, AC/SC etc. Many people are not aware of AC, SC, CC genotypes cos they are uncommon. Anything 'C' is the half of 'S' as the shape looks. Its just as deadly. Don't tell me there's no such thing 'cos I'm confirmed AC!

I'm also AC, but I think the C gene is a very mild form of Sickle cell cos I have seen someone with genotype SC and he is as strong as any of us. Also I have heard of CC and he is not crises prone. Stand to be corrected

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians In Diaspora Donate N48M PPEs To PTF / FMC Kogi Doctors Go On Strike Over Poor Management Of COVID-19 & Threat To Lives / Isaac Adewole To JOHESU: Resume Or Be Declared As Having Absconded From Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.