Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56298 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
Abali1:

A saying goes thus, "If you want to hide something from a Black Man, put/write it in a book.

We have doctors in Naija. Instead of the to research on how to effectively combact one of the known diseases "exclusively" to the black race, Africa in particular. Them dey do follow-follow for HIV/AIDS research, CANCER research (don't get me wrong, researches in this area are necessary).

Okay ooh... leave the herbal practictioners to find a curative or an effective medicine for the SCD, Mba. DIOSCOVITE was not allowed to be sold openly in pharmacies. Now Cellod-S is not being allowed to sell openly in the pharmacies.

Abeg na Naija Doctor discover FOLIC ACID ni.
lol, those area of research are lucrative, everybody wants quick money and nigerian doctors are no exception.

Discovite didn't do clinical trials I guess, ok clinal trials cost like $500k or more. So you see and without it no institution will touch your drug.

Nigeria is one messed up country, everywhere you turn you see sh it. If cellod was discovered in a developed nation, I'm very sure by now it will be in its final stage of processing from synthetic material and shipped to Africa and then the nigerian government will be budgeting N20bn to buy it as na oyibo make am.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by FKBZ: 11:05pm On Oct 31, 2012

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 31, 2012
FKBZ: Thank house for the reply,
I would go get the drug and let you guys know the outcome.
I remember wen I have crisis I would be telling my mum that dey r hitting big nails and hammer into my bone(lol).
Also I agree that drug get addictive because when the pain gets much I can use a whole pandol extra sachet in less dan 5hours,though i try to caution myself.Right now I use novalgin.
I have used different drugs likediscovite,joblyn,cataflam etc.
I even use lexotan sometym so I can sleep cos wen the crises come one neva slip and my crises most tym starts @midnite or early hours in the morning,imagine waking up to serious pain all over ur body.
But I would recommend deep relief cream and abonik to message the body and pls avoid rain and cold whether and don't walk barefoot cos the cold enta into your bones.
Though a graduate and presently job hunting just hope it doesn't hinder me from getting a good job cos dey mite think am too weak to handle stress but am just like any oder person.I believe am even far stronger.
get the full cellod dose with procin x and in 2 months, the results will be obvious.

Lol at hammer and nails. My bones actually swell and feel like the surface was scrapped off. As in if you blow breeze hard enough on the skin, the bone hurts. Not to mention the struggling until you are totally exhausted. That's when I'm able to sleep.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:15pm On Oct 31, 2012
ACM10:
There are stages involved in drug trial. Drugs are not shipped to the market in a hurry. The drug must be shown to be efficacious and safe for human consumption. So the drugs must pass through those stages.
If the drug alleviates your condition and causes cancer after some years; you will be the first person to race to court with litigation against the pharmaceutical company.
So relax! ..Don't rush it. It's for your own good.

The point am trying to make is that the Modern medical practitioners should put in more than lip service, to make sure these drugs by their herbal counter parts passes through the necessary stages.

Even though these drugs have not passed through laboratory/clinical testings, we the users have been spreading the word. WHY? Because we feel the immediate positive effect, while praying that it does not have adverse effect in the future. It is a wrong approach towards medication. But we don't have donkey years to wait for the othordox practioners, who will be administering FOLIC ACID AND VITAMIN A, B, C etc

Oga, I perfectly understand your concern.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Gracious10: 11:20pm On Oct 31, 2012
queen binte o: I am above 30 n my genotype is SC. Being alive today is just God if I remba to sleepless nite of pain. I wish I cud stop these pain killers, cos now I av ulcer cos of them. Whre can I get drug-cellod-s? I kno ow to get discovite.
Pls tell that man to have a positive outlook towards life. Headache,fever n mild pain setting in,M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ bed beckons.
Note - desperately lookin for a guy wt AA genotype to marry!!! LOL

LOL, they will find you dear.

It's just painful that people get to suffer from a disease that's of no cause of theirs. The pain is just what I have nothing on earth to quantify it. Unless u have seen someone in sickle cell crisis, you would never appreciate the kind of life they live. I call them warriors. People who go through life despite the daily health obstacles.

3 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Chichilas: 11:25pm On Oct 31, 2012
http://www.ivf-embryo.gr/en/avoiding-sickle-cell-anemia

Ladies and Gentlemen, please review the link below, it explains simply how to avoid SS children.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
queen binte o: I am above 30 n my genotype is SC. Being alive today is just God if I remba to sleepless nite of pain. I wish I cud stop these pain killers, cos now I av ulcer cos of them. Whre can I get drug-cellod-s? I kno ow to get discovite.
Pls tell that man to have a positive outlook towards life. Headache,fever n mild pain setting in,M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ bed beckons.
Note - desperately lookin for a guy wt AA genotype to marry!!! LOL
go to www.ormedsupremeoption.com every info you need is there. Look for the nearest distributor to you.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Gracious10: 11:29pm On Oct 31, 2012
ikare: my fiancee is SS n we met about a year ago.she dicovered she was ss at age 5 n for a very long time battled with it.she is 28 now n stronger than ever.she gradually learnt how to deal with,primarily by knowing wat d symptons are,wen they come n wat happens wen they are comin. first thn we cleared was d ss issue. she actually tried to make me realize how bad d situation could be, 4 me. but d more we got on,d more i realized dat she is d one 4 me.she is doin great healthwise,in fact on several occassions,i actually was able to predict dat her crisis was near.she's had just 2 so far n they were mild.she takes her medication regularly n by God's grace,d worst is behind us. but the thn i admire most about her is dat she is a fighter n a survivor. she knows wat she has n knows equally how to deal with it. she's bn doin it alone for long,now she has me.so to answer ur question, YES.

God bless your heart for still loving that lady despite the odds.
Dalu.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:33pm On Oct 31, 2012
Gracious10:

God bless your heart for still loving that lady despite the odds.
Dalu.

I bu onye b' anyi?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by crisycent: 11:40pm On Oct 31, 2012
My sister and her husband are both AS. After the birth of their first child, it took 5 years before they had the second. This is not because she couldn't get pregnant but because whenever she's pregnant, they test the genotype of the baby in her womb and if it is SS, they abort. But thank God that they finally had to healthy AA male twin babies.

I suggest that if you truly love your AS partner, marry her but make sure you check the genotype of the baby in your wife's womb before you create problem for yourself. Sickle cell is not something anyone can cope with and you just can't help but feel sorry for people with this disease. In 2010, I lost a friend to sickle cell disease and I saw him literarily waste to death....Oghenekaro Brown Ifony....R.I.P
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Gracious10: 11:41pm On Oct 31, 2012
Abali1:

I bu onye b' anyi?

Yes, a nam asu asusu anyi ofuma.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 31, 2012
crisycent: My sister and her husband are both AS. After the birth of their first child, it took 5 years before they had the second. This is not because she couldn't get pregnant but because whenever she's pregnant, they test the genotype of the baby in her womb and if it is SS, they abort. But thank God that they finally had to healthy AA male twin babies.

I suggest that if you truly love your AS partner, marry her but make sure you check the genotype of the baby in your wife's womb before you create problem for yourself. Sickle cell is not something anyone can cope with and you just can't help but feel sorry for people with this disease. In 2010, I lost a friend to sickle cell disease and I saw him litally waste to death....Oghenekaro Brown Ifony....R.I.P
tell us the country they reside in, your story does not sound made in Nigeria at all.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Gracious10: 11:48pm On Oct 31, 2012
crisycent: My sister and her husband are both AS. After the birth of their first child, it took 5 years before they had the second. This is not because she couldn't get pregnant but because whenever she's pregnant, they test the genotype of the baby in her womb and if it is SS, they abort. But thank God that they finally had to healthy AA male twin babies.

I suggest that if you truly love your AS partner, marry her but make sure you check the genotype of the baby in your wife's womb before you create problem for yourself. Sickle cell is not something anyone can cope with and you just can't help but feel sorry for people with this disease. In 2010, I lost a friend to sickle cell disease and I saw him literarily waste to death....Oghenekaro Brown Ifony....R.I.P

Ah! But the thought of continuous abortion of innocent kids sends shivers down my spine. Why even marry that person when u keep disrupting the life of innocent child? (Nwa bira uwa!!) Why should the child sacrifice for the selfishness of the parents? That's barbaric!!

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:48pm On Oct 31, 2012

Yeah your sister may put up a brave face for the world. But if she is honest with herself, those aborted foetuses are eating her up emotionally.
It is only TRUE LOVE and the GRACE OF GOD that can keep couples who have gone through what you sister and the husband has.

AS/AS please don't do it, if you are not sure that in 20/25 years time you will look back and say YES, I took the right decision.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
Gracious10:

Yes, a nam asu asusu anyi ofuma.

good to know.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Fetus(m): 12:39am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1: My dear people of NL, am creating this thread because Genotype issues has affected and still affecting relationships.
I am not a medical doctor(wish I am one) and am not really science inclined, but I read a lot. Moreover the issue of SICKLE CELL DISEASE (SCD) is one dear to my heart.
As you all might have noticed, threads about genotype incompatibility is sprouting here and there on NL. And sometimes the opinion of people here on NL can't really be crazy. From the practical ones who see Life as experimental(that is, science proven or Doctors opinion) to the zealots who believe that religion is the be all and end all.
A know of some facts about SCD, being a suffer my self and I have also had of some myths concerning SCD. I will like others to add the fact and myth the also know or have heared of. Thank You.
FACTS:
SCD, is a blood disease. It is inherited from from the HB s genes of both parents.(so it's both parents that should share the blame game, if any)

SCD crisis occurs when you have a mutation of the red blood cells(the doctors and lab scientists should explain better).

Crisis is not always painful ,but it can also be extreemly painful (you wouldn't wish your enemies that can of pain)

Some, not all SCD persons have the yellowing of the eyes(probably due to jaundice) and they also have a kind of stunted growth(also not all SCD people)

SCD is MANAGEABLE. And DEFINITELY NOT a Terminal disease.

There is more risk of losing a SCD person when they are still children( because they yet to understand their body system and take adequate care of themselves)

With good nutrition and religiously adhering to their medications, SCD persons can live to an old age.( heard of woman who is her 80's and also know of my mum's friend who should be in her late 60's, if not early 70's).

MYTHS
SCD persons will die before or by their 15, or 18, or 21 or 27 or 30.

SCD persons cannot bear children( especially the males. A lie from the pit of Hell. My lecturer in school already had 3 children before I graduated)

SCD persons don't have malaria ( please no allow mosquitoes near anybody whey get SCD)

And a whole lot of other things. Please my good people of NL, this is not an exhaustive list. you can add your own. Thank you.

NOTE:
I am AGAINST AS/AS PARTNERS GOING INTO MARRIAGE. Do the right thing and let's all join hands and see that SCD stops with our generations.
Yes GOD IS ALIVE AND WE SHOULD TRUST HIM. BUT DO NOT GO ABOUT TEMPTING FATE.
plzz i really want 2 meet u...i want us 2 talk abt my youngest sister whom is a victim nd shez jst 11yrs..i dnt want 2 loose her;i luv her...kindly, drop ur number or any useful identity here 4 me,,,urgent replay plzzz
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ACM10: 12:47am On Nov 01, 2012

Not everyone is morally depraved to abort a foetus. But couples who can lower their moral bar can try this strategy.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Amynamerica: 12:51am On Nov 01, 2012
Fetus: plzz i really want 2 meet u...i want us 2 talk abt my youngest sister whom is a victim nd shez jst 11yrs..i dnt want 2 loose her;i luv her...kindly, drop ur number or any useful identity here 4 me,,,urgent replay plzzz

Please kindly read through this thread, you'll find a lot of helpful tips here. Cheers!
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Michrach: 12:54am On Nov 01, 2012
My question here is, should we go on with the AS and AS marriages and ignore the fact that there is about 25% risk of giving birth to a sickle cell child because abali1 (no offence please) is living a normal life or we should make use of the advantage we have (advancement in technology) and prevent it
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Gracious10: 1:13am On Nov 01, 2012
Mich-rach:
My question here is, should we go on with the AS and AS marriages and ignore the fact that there is about 25% risk of giving birth to a sickle cell child because abali1 (no offence please) is living a normal life or we should make use of the advantage we have (advancement in technology) and prevent it

Please in the name of everything and anything you believe in, DON'T go into "marriage" with an AS person if you are AS. Even with the advanced technology, how many fetuses would u end up aborting for your own selfish reasons or even end up bringing a child into this world to suffer? What if u don't ever conceive an AA or AS? So you and ur partner will end up aborting all them(SS) babies without a child to call ur own? Ah, its just too much. Let the person go atleast that will get rid of this painful disease.

The idea of "married"couples going into marriage with the idea of aborting fetuses just to please their own desires is just wrong. The sacrificial lamb is that innocent child. What's love compared to life? A beg no do am.

My heart is already broken reading though peoples experiences here, if only their parents had proper information and awareness. It could have been anyone of us, our parents didn't check these things neither did they know even my own parents don't even know their genotypes. A word is enough although I wrote an epistle ...LOL

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by temi4fash(m): 2:02am On Nov 01, 2012
Av had a personal experience of my mum's uncle... He was AS married an SS.. Gave birth to 1 AS n 3 SS.. All d SS children are dead Includin his wife.lost d last one wen he was abt to graduate from d university.. His brother said he warned him but he wuldnt listen.. Nau he is not enjoyin his life.. Cos its just him n his AS son dat is remainin in d family..
As my mum will say u only say u in luv cos life threatin troubles has not manifested.. Cos wen dai do d luv turns into thick hatred especially if dai r ignorant of how to manage it..
Kudos to u abali n ao.. May God cont to b ur strength..

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:12am On Nov 01, 2012
Folic acid, B complex, and Water can do d trick...take them not only during crisis,,,but take them regularly...

If you have this disorder, know you are special than the random AA candidate....it just shows how God"s made your creation special..

Just one thing,

When the crisis comes, plan has dough in the next 2 to 5 years you would still be around and becoming whatever u want to be...

Take less iron, too much of iron in your food can cause you to have crisis...

For those of you that have yellow eyes, I know its difficult talking to someone face to face...

You did rather wear glasses...

You don't have to hide your eyes, they are beautiful...

Trust me on that....the yellow eyes just only make u special from the rest...

And lastly,,, never let your condition limit you from being whateva you want to be...

Cheers...

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:44am On Nov 01, 2012
Fetus: plzz i really want 2 meet u...i want us 2 talk abt my youngest sister whom is a victim nd shez jst 11yrs..i dnt want 2 loose her;i luv her...kindly, drop ur number or any useful identity here 4 me,,,urgent replay plzzz

Like someone already wrote, read through the Thread. If you still need to contact me, I will drop my email here.
I must warn, I am not in the medical field. All what I wrote are from experiences and the different literature i read on SCD.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:53am On Nov 01, 2012
Mich-rach:

If there is anything I will like this thread to achieve it will be the eradication of SCD or cutting it down drastically in my generation. AS/AS marriage should be discouraged.
I know that True Love still exists, I am a firm believer in having FAITH that GOD will see you through any problem. But is it right that because we know that we can call on God in times of trouble, we then decide to go about TEMPTING FATE?

Why go through the emotional trauma of Aborting a foetus?
Why strain your Finances seeking for a solution to an Avoidable problem?

I will keep on encouraging fellow WARRIORS and SURVIVORS, while at the same time discouraging those who want to TEMPT FATE (i.e. AS/AS intending couples).

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 6:05am On Nov 01, 2012
We are not sicklers but people living SCD. 'Sickler' is derogatory jor.tanx

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 6:09am On Nov 01, 2012
@Abali1 - your story is not as interesting as mine.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o: @Abali1 - your story is not as interesting as mine.
lol.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:04am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o: @Abali1 - your story is not as interesting as mine.

Please can you share with us. We are to tell the world, the WARRIOR's story. And thanks for that suggestion "people living with SCD". Let's keep it real.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by firestar(f): 7:28am On Nov 01, 2012
I lost someone who was living with SCD awhile ago.
His demise was painful because we not to ago had a get-together with his family. cry
His elder sister still lives with it and we all have made it a priority by being alert to her needs.

So to all of you living with this, bear with it until Jehovah grants you relief.
I have you all in prayer. wink

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Stronger99: 7:40am On Nov 01, 2012

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Tittos: 7:43am On Nov 01, 2012
Techwriter: I don't know whether these are facts or myth but when I sought friends advice on whether to marry a fellow AS. One told me that the possibility of giving birth to a sickler is from my 3rd baby. That I can actually stop at two and be safe. I also heard in my teenage years that ones an SS gets to 30, the symptoms ceasing and he can't die from the condition. Is that true?
This is what the doctor said..having a child with ss genotype is on an average of one in three kids..that doesn't mean it will be your third.It could come as your first or second but an average of one in three kids.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by firestar(f): 7:44am On Nov 01, 2012
Stronger99: Actually. i did something like this thread earlier but it didn't make front page so no much response https://www.nairaland.com/781833/sickle-cell-thread. Now SCD is a messed up thing. Let's be honest here. It's like a 'curse frm the gods' but still, one has to face the challenges. I have managed to achieve so much educationally and financially even with this problem.

I live a 'reckless' life, i do drink alcohol, brandy and beer.I've been drinking now for 16yrs but i hope to call it a day soon. frm 4 bottles of lager at a sitting i now take only 1. And yes i do have lots of sex too cheesy. Now, i'm lucky i dnt really have pains. Actually, i can have pains just once a year and there is a pill i jst take and the pain goes. I would have loved to recommend it but i know it will be abused by those who suffer pain. The pill works and it is an anti-inflammatory drug and i guess it can be addictive.

I am lucky to be this strong but that doesn't mean all is perfect. I suffer from malaria alot when in Nigeria. There is no way i can avoid being in Nigeria at least 6mnths a year. it's so bad that i must have malaria once a mnth and sometimes i need to take multiple malaria drugs (with all that side effects) for the malaria to clear. So irritating.

There is something u guys didn't mention. It is called PRIAPISM. Painful erection in males without sexual arousal. That is something that gives me issues too at night, i have to wake up and do some exercises before it subsides and it only happens when i'm asleep. It denies me my full 8hrs most times. By and large, i'm a pretty strong guy and 90% of people who know me don't know that i have SCD. I hardly take transfusions, maybe once in 5yrs or so.I don't take meds, just folic and multivitamins. That is what i've taken for yrs and then the water thing is superb. Works like magic. I hardly eat though and my eating habit is pathetic.

this disorder has limited my life cos there is so much i think i can achieve but sometimes the strength isn't there. There must be a limit to how we can push ourselves.

I have a partner who is crazy about me and wants to drag me to the alter. I'm kind of reluctant. What if this disorder decides i've had enough good luck and decides to mess me up by throwing a misfortune my way. We are prone to all sorts of problems from organ failure to blindness. I don't want anybody to suffer in case i become a liability. These are random thoughts though. An inner voice tells me all will be well and i will keep having good health. Who knows. I might take the plunge soon enough and hope for the best.

My summary is that avoid sickle cell by all means. Luv is never enough. This disorder is wicked. Actually, i see it as one of the worse illness in the world. Stay safe and stay strong.

You too, my brother, you too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

8 Critical Signs That You Have Stomach Ulcers And What To Do About It / Adenike, Ibadan Polytechnic Student Whose Legs Were Cut Off (photos) / The Top 6 Causes Of Kidney Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.