Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC (4005 Views)

I Will Drag Dasuki, Dokpesi And Bafarawa To ICC Next Week- Femi Falana / Dear Our Igbo Brother: Ask Gowon To Apologise To Nigerians / APC Drags Patience Jonathan To ICC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 30, 2012
The Igbo Youth Movement, IYM, said it has concluded plans to drag a former military head of state, General Yakubu Gowon to International Criminal Court, ICC, over the role he played in alleged murder of over two million Igbos during the Nigerian Civil War which lasted from 1967 to January 1970.

The group said they were angered by the insensitive and irresponsive statements made by General Gowon in Minna, Niger State on issues that pertained to the civil war over the weekend and therefore took the decision to drag him to ICC at The Hague.

President of the organisation, Mr. Elliot Uko told newsmen after an emergency meeting that Gowon’s statement implies that he and late Obafemi Awolowo have no regrets on their infamous roles and attitude to the Igbos during and shortly after the Nigeria civil war.

Uko said: “Since he wants to go to ICC, he will go. We will ask the court to hold him responsible for the greatest human tragedy of the last century, second only to the holocaust.”

The Igbo youths said they expected apologies from Gowon and not insults and unrepentant defiant attitude that he displayed in Minna saying, “if he has no regrets, it means he will do same over and over again.”

The IYM president stated that Gowon’s comment has muddled the respect Nigerians have for him adding that the shameful and despicable conduct of Gowon and his lieutenants during the war has remained a sore point in the modern history of Africa.

“The blood of over two million women and children murdered by Gowon will continue to cry out for Justice until General Gowon and cohorts are brought to justice at the ICC,” the IYM president stated.

http://nigerianpilot.com/index.php/component/content/article/39-africa/7069-igbo-youths-drag-gowon-to-icc

1 Like

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by k2039: 9:31am On Oct 30, 2012
If only Ojukwu beggined with the end in
mind,maybe the war would never had started.The war was all Ojukwu's fault.
Gowon had the right to protect and prevent Nigeria from breaking up,that was his own jurisdiction,he did all he could to make sure Nigeria remained Nigeria.
So this guys should take Ojukwu's dead corpse to ICC.
On this case they will never win.

Luke 14
28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a
tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate
the cost to see if you have enough money to
complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation
and are not able to finish it, everyone who
sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to
finish.’
31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war
against another king. Won’t he first sit down
and consider whether he is able with ten
thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace.

Ojukwu was a bad dictator,he should never have authorised that war(that was his biggest mistake and I'm sure he regretted it before he died)

2 Likes

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Desola(f): 9:33am On Oct 30, 2012
excuse me laugh, please! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The seriousness of this is highlighted in the newspaper it was reported in. Muahahah...okoros no dey carry last o...
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:47am On Oct 30, 2012
That's why it's not a good idea to run ones mouth like a broken tap and bluff; you just might have your bluff called against all expectations. shocked

If the story IS true, and he's invited to the Hague for a 'chat', it would be interesting to see if he hops on the next available plane to honour said invitation. undecided smiley
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Desola(f): 9:53am On Oct 30, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
That's why it's not a good idea to run ones mouth like a broken tap and bluff; you just might have your bluff called against all expectations. shocked

If the story IS true, and he's invited to the Hague for a 'chat', it would be interesting to see if he hops on the next available plane to honour said invitation. undecided smiley

It would be interesting to see how the ibo nation would be humiliated in the second round. Not only have you been physically humiliated but now, salt would be added to your injuries via verbal humiliation.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Afam4eva(m): 9:56am On Oct 30, 2012
Gowon asked for it and now he's about to be obliged. Let's see how things pan out.

2 Likes

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by PointB: 9:56am On Oct 30, 2012
ICC will not ask who was responsible for starting the war (even as the fault lies majorly on the illegal government of Gowon) the question they will be asking is: "Who murdered over 2 million Igbos?" Awolowo's bones will be sweating profusely in his grave, and Gowon might consider the rat poison option as did the latter!

1 Like

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 30, 2012
k2039: If only Ojukwu beggined with the end in
Gowon had the right to protect and prevent Nigeria from breaking up,that was his own jurisdiction,he did all he could to make sure Nigeria remained Nigeria.

Luke 14
sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to
finish.’
thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace.

Ojukwu was a bad dictator,he should never have authorised that war(that was his biggest mistake and I'm sure he regretted it before he died)

It is very unfair to blame Ojukwu for the war.
Ojukwu never declared war.

Igbos were being slaughtered in their thousands across Nigeria and Gowon could not do anything about it. Besides, the decision to declare Biafra was not single handedly done by Ojukwu.

The issue was: if you cannot guarantee our safety in Nigeria, we have a right to self determination.
Biafra declared independence and Nigeria declared war against Biafra.

As for Gowon, the Huasa/Fulani are busy slaughtering his people on daily basis, and there is nothing he can do about it. Let the slaughtering continue in the name of "one Nigeria", yet the truth that Nigeria does not want to face is this:

Nigeria is not "one" and Biafra shall be free!

Desola: excuse me laugh, please! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The seriousness of this is highlighted in the newspaper it was reported in. Muahahah...okoros no dey carry last o...

One thing you must realise is that the Biafran issue is a sensitive one, many media houses are being careful not to enter into the bad books of the powers that be. A lot is going on about Biafra that you will never hear on AIT or NTA, that you will never read on Guardian, Thisday or Punch.

Yet just know that whether Nigeria likes or not (of course, they won't like it), Biafra shall be free.

2 Likes

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by chino24: 11:39am On Oct 30, 2012
They should exhume that criminal to come and face justice..

If he likes let him commit suicide once more..

4 Likes

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Ngodigha1(m): 11:43am On Oct 30, 2012
chino24: They should exhume that criminal to come and face justice..

If he likes let him commit suicide once more..
The same way he replied Obasanjo from the grave, so shall he face ICC.
THEY SHOULD TRY HIS ROTTEN BONES.

1 Like

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by chino24: 12:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
Ngodigha1:
The same way he replied Obasanjo from the grave, so shall he face ICC.
THEY SHOULD TRY HIS ROTTEN BONES.

grin grin grin grin

He must come to ICC..

Period
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by bashr8: 12:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
what did they expect from gowon , the same man that said an american childs life is worth more than that of a nigerian .

Desola: excuse me laugh, please! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

i wnder wh this is funny to you, did they mention your father's name there?

k2039: If only Ojukwu beggined with the end in

Luke 14
finish.’

people like you keep proving to the world that nigerians lack common sense.

1 Like

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by 9jaIhail(m): 12:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
This case remind me the igbo adage that says you can't beat a child and ask him/her not to cry.If we igbo youths can put our acts together i bet you we do not need approval of our igbo politicians to drag Gowon and his company to ICC. Only efuluefu child will a killer of his father walk up to and say yes i killed your father what can you do and he keep quiet.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by ba7man(m): 12:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
At least this is a better step to take than posting threads all over Nairaland. Action is finally being taken so talk-time is over.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by MrGlobe(m): 12:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
PointB: ICC will not ask who was responsible for starting the war (even as the fault lies majorly on the illegal government of Gowon) the question they will be asking is: "Who murdered over 2 million Igbos?" Awolowo's bones will be sweating profusely in his grave, and Gowon might consider the rat poison option as did the latter!
grin grin
I just spilled my drink reading this post, you wicked no be small.

Gowon should know that his generation has all gone. He should keep running his uncivil mouth.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by PointB: 1:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mr. Globe:

grin grin
I just spilled my drink reading this post, you wicked no be small.

Gowon should know that his generation has all gone. He should keep running his uncivil mouth.

lol. Just saying the truth as I see it. Or don't you envisage Awo's bones wrapped in polythene bag, and dragged before the ICC? grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Olaolufred(m): 1:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
noblezone: The Igbo Youth Movement, IYM, said it has concluded plans to drag a former military head of state, General Yakubu Gowon to International Criminal Court, ICC, over the role he played in alleged murder of over two million Igbos during the Nigerian Civil War which lasted from 1967 to January 1970.

The group said they were angered by the insensitive and irresponsive statements made by General Gowon in Minna, Niger State on issues that pertained to the civil war over the weekend and therefore took the decision to drag him to ICC at The Hague.

President of the organisation, Mr. Elliot Uko told newsmen after an emergency meeting that Gowon’s statement implies that he and late Obafemi Awolowo have no regrets on their infamous roles and attitude to the Igbos during and shortly after the Nigeria civil war.

Uko said: “Since he wants to go to ICC, he will go. We will ask the court to hold him responsible for the greatest human tragedy of the last century, second only to the holocaust.”

The Igbo youths said they expected apologies from Gowon and not insults and unrepentant defiant attitude that he displayed in Minna saying, “if he has no regrets, it means he will do same over and over again.”

The IYM president stated that Gowon’s comment has muddled the respect Nigerians have for him adding that the shameful and despicable conduct of Gowon and his lieutenants during the war has remained a sore point in the modern history of Africa.

“The blood of over two million women and children murdered by Gowon will continue to cry out for Justice until General Gowon and cohorts are brought to justice at the ICC,” the IYM president stated.

http://nigerianpilot.com/index.php/component/content/article/39-africa/7069-igbo-youths-drag-gowon-to-icc

"TO DRAG" is different from "DRAG".
This is a lost case before it starts.
So many truth about the war are thrown away by its proponent.
They sat every moonlights to dish out all they want the unborn children to believe.
Truth is coming out bit by bit.
However, Prof Achebe shouldn't have ended his journey this way.
I will be more glad if they carry out their bid.
Gowon will go to the Hague, but return a super-hero.

2 Likes

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Ngodigha1(m): 1:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
Olaolufred:

They sat every moonlights to dish out all they want the unborn children to believe.
Whether Gowon returns as a hero or not, that murderer should be tried to start with.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by PointB: 1:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
Olaolufred:

Which other better way to climax than by siding with the truth.

Awo admitted being instrumental to the starvation policy - Prof Achebe only restated it. Perhaps Awo should have kepts his trap shut. But like a typical Yoruba man, he could help gloating.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by 9jaIhail(m): 1:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
Olaolufred:

Stop ranting ICC is not Nigerian supreme court. Are you sure you know what ICC stand for ?

1 Like

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
some clowns.....am still laughing!
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Dede1(m): 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
I would want Gowon to come to ICC to explain why the need to live independently from other group of people tantamount to declaration of war. If Biafrans sue of independence equates war, why did British fail to shoot all the nationalists who sought independence for Nigeria since such action was declaration of war?

1 Like

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Dainfamous: 1:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
soon u guys will see gowon standing trail in Hague for genocide and as a war criminal......
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by chino24: 1:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
Da infamous: soon u guys will see gowon standing trail in Hague for genocide and as a war criminal......

Nwanne kedu ije..

Gowon cannot go there without AWOLOLO..

FG should find a way bring AWALOLO to HAGUES too..
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
Damn...see some delusions going on here... grin
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by hakanai(m): 1:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
Finally! I urge Gowon to go promptly abeg and ensure time is not wasted.Also please the Igbos should ensure that after this is cleared they would keep quiet and accept the out for once and finally.
They need to keep quiet.As i see them losing!Also i see them blaming colonial conspiracy with Nigerian government or better still use the issue of bakassi to create doubt about the integrity of the court.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Dede1(m): 1:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
Who made a criminal such as Gowon the C-in-C of Nigeria? He claimed a none precipitant in the July 29, 1966 coup and yet he criminally assumed th position of C-in-C against the backdrop of rejection and opposition from certain quarters. He was not the most senior army officer in Nigerian armed forces on July 30, 1966. Though Gowon was Chief of Army Staff, there was a living 2/ic to C-in-C when Gowon and his fellow criminals took over Nigerian governemnt through coup de'tat.

It is funny a criminal such as Gowon has the audacity to claim he was defending the constitution of Nigeria and fighting to keep Nigeria as one entity. Who gave this fool, Gowon, the mandate to defend the constitution and keep Nigeria as one entity?

2 Likes

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by MrGlobe(m): 1:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
The average yorobberman is a definition of delusion. whoever thinks gowon will go to icj and come back is retar/d/ed. First, there is no justification for multiple millions of children lives that died through your actions and inactions. The war was an internal 'war' for freedom, not two different countries fighting at that. I just want this hearing to open so Nigerians will realize how serious this case is. Gowon is doomed once he steps into the Hague and he knows it. Its just that the Nigerian govt tried their possible best to cover this by forcing unity and pretending nothing happened.
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by 9jaIhail(m): 1:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
haka_nai: Finally! I urge Gowon to go promptly abeg and ensure time is not wasted.Also please the Igbos should ensure that after this is cleared they would keep quiet and accept the out for once and finally.
They need to keep quiet.As i see them losing!Also i see them blaming colonial conspiracy with Nigerian government or better still use the issue of bakassi to create doubt about the integrity of the court.

My friend just shut your aboki mouth there. This is not the time to remind us that you guys have British whom your puppet Government is loyal to on your side. Mind you British they self will distant you guys for good else their name would be drag into it because they supplied the weapon that was used against the Biafrans.

1 Like

Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Dainfamous: 1:55pm On Oct 30, 2012
chino24:

Nwanne kedu ije..

Gowon cannot go there without AWOLOLO..

FG should find a way bring AWALOLO to HAGUES too..
Gowon will stand trail by himself at the moment because he still alive b4 he quickly join his fellow war criminals by committing suicide,we need to act fast, after that other participants in the genocide both death and living will be carry along so i guess his bones will be exported to Hague in a later date............
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by Dainfamous: 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

My friend just shut your aboki mouth there. This is not the time to remind us that you guys have British whom your puppet Government is loyal to on your side. Mind you British they self will distant you guys for good else their name would be drag into it because they supplied the weapon that was used against the Biafrans.
not only that, Britain are interested in nigerian case not because of the roles they play by supplying nigeria weapons but how the rule of Geneva convection was applied doing the war,wars got rule and regulation G.C comprises four treaties and protocols which nigerian never applied doing biafran war besides UK&US cannot work with nigeria because they know their enemies are living in Nigeria too.How many westerners had been murdered in the north alone this year? don't forget this westerners keep records and Intel on you once they see u as their enemy.....
Re: The Biafran Genocide: Igbo Youths Drag Gowon To ICC by achi4u(m): 2:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
What if they couldn't produce Awolowo now that he's death,one of his elder son must go in for him or his entrange spirit will be envock through Ogwugwu akpo okijagringrin

*abeg make them live the dead man spirit alone o!*

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Being Prayed For By Ministers In Israel / Kasshim Shettima Posing Like A Chimpanzee At NBA Conference Lagos / FG Moves To Assist Ekiti On Ecological Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.