Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. (5072 Views)

Buhari Accuses Nigerian Press Of Referring To Him As A Tortoise / Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by nagoma(m): 9:21am On Nov 02, 2012
(Abuja) The brutal actions of Nigeria's security forces in response to Boko Haram's campaign of terror are making an already desperate situation even worse, Amnesty International said in a report released today.

The report, Nigeria: Trapped in the cycle of violence, documents the atrocities carried out by Boko Haram as well as the serious human rights violations carried out by the security forces in response, including enforced disappearance, torture, extrajudicial executions, the torching of homes and detention without trial.

“The cycle of attack and counter-attack has been marked by unlawful violence on both sides, with devastating consequences for the human rights of those trapped in the middle,” said Salil Shetty, Secretary General of Amnesty International.

“People are living in a climate of fear and insecurity, vulnerable to attack from Boko Haram and facing human rights violations at the hands of the very state security forces which should be protecting them.”

Grave human rights abuses have been committed by Boko Haram including murder, burning down schools and churches and attacking media houses and journalists. The report documents the increasing climate of fear where people are too scared to report crimes and journalists will not cover them out of fear for their own safety.

At the same time, the security operations targeting Boko Haram have been conducted with little regard for the rule of law or human rights.

Hundreds of people accused of having links to Boko Haram have been arbitrarily detained by a combination of the Joint Task Force (JTF) – a combined forces group commissioned by the President to restore law and order in areas affected by Boko Haram - the State Security Service (SSS) and the police.

Many have remained in detention for lengthy periods without charge or trial, without proper notification of family members, without being brought before any judicial authority, and without access to lawyers or the outside world. A significant number have even been extra-judicially executed.

One man explained to Amnesty International how his brother was arrested by security forces. After several attempts to find him, he eventually saw his dead body at a police station. “There were [what looked like] cable marks on his body, bruises everywhere…The right side of his head was bruised. There was shock on his face. I can’t forget that…I haven’t made a complaint. I’m afraid.”

“The government of Nigeria must take effective action to protect the population against Boko Harem’s campaign of terror in northern and central Nigeria, but they must do so within the boundaries of the rule of law. Every injustice carried out in the name of security only fuels more terrorism, creating a vicious circle of murder and destruction,” said Salil Shetty.

“Only by clarifying the truth about events, establishing accountability for abuses, and bringing to justice those responsible can confidence in the justice system be restored and human rights be guaranteed.”

http://www.amnesty.org/en/for-media/press-releases/nigeria-security-forces-out-control-fight-against-terror-boko-haram-2012-11
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by playahP(m): 11:51am On Nov 02, 2012
Yippeee I'm the first to comment; I wanna give a shout out to my mom and siblings... I wanna give a shout out to my fans and well wishers....

As long as the people getting abused are those northerners that hide and shield the identity of BH, I think its okay for the jtf to messed their lives up!!

Yes!!.... Reduce the population of those hausa and fulani cows!
Abuse ko, molestation ni!!
Mmmtccchew
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 02, 2012
hmmmmmmm undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 02, 2012
How come Amnesty has remained MUTE over all the terrible boko haram attacks?

Do they know how many people ( many children) that boko ppl have killed ?

Human rights abuse my foot.
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by ukuba: 12:04pm On Nov 02, 2012
Amnesty sees how Nigerian Army 'abuses' Boko Haram but they dont see how Boko Haram 'abuses' the innocent. this looks like a cospiracy
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 02, 2012
And what's new here?
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by nagoma(m): 12:05pm On Nov 02, 2012
But the report also said;

".....Grave human rights abuses have been committed by Boko Haram including murder, burning down schools and churches and attacking media houses and journalists. The report documents the increasing climate of fear where people are too scared to report crimes and journalists will not cover them out of fear for their own safety...."
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by thelastPope(m): 12:06pm On Nov 02, 2012
I think the media and these NGOs are sometimes the greatest enemy of humanity. While I believe there will definitely be human rights violation in situations like these, I feel it is wrong for organisations like amnesty international to try to demonise the efforts of JTF. BH has been and is still murdering innocent people including children. They must be stopped. No going back on that.
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 02, 2012
IT'S A PITY ALL THE COMMENTS ABOVE ARE WRITTEN BY F.OOLS.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Abbey2sam(m): 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2012
A drastic action needed to be taken and the soldiers did,aint the boko boys on their knees begging for dialogue now?
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:17pm On Nov 02, 2012
I truly understand Amnesty International's concerns, but where were they when the Janjawees were murdering millions of South-Sudanese citizens, Where were they when Saddam Hussein was murdering children with mustard gas, where were they when Charles taylor men brutally ra.ped and killed women and children, where are they in Syria, where are they in Nigeria, where are they in Congo DR, where are they except when they need to remain relevant.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by kambah(m): 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2012
Those amenesty or wateva they called their name should shut d Bleep up. Where were amenesty when d useles bokoharam were killing inocent souls. Bunch of bias
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Ikwerefistson: 12:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
Who is compliang we nija pepl gav dm d mandate 2do dat so let dm mind dia bizns.any atempt 2 prosecute dos sojas dn we must prosecute d nija military 4d biafra atrocites nd d nija delta case.bulshit
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: I truly understand Amnesty International's concerns, but where were they when the Janjawees were murdering millions of South-Sudanese citizens, Where were they when Saddam Hussein was murdering children with mustard gas, where were they when Charles taylor men brutally ra.ped and killed women and children, where are they in Syria, where are they in Nigeria, where are they in Congo DR, where are they except when they need to remain relevant.

Perhaps it was not politically correct for Amnesty to speak up when boko was murdering innocent people.

I don't think we need this type of political correctness now.
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Ikwerefistson: 12:30pm On Nov 02, 2012
Who ever sow d wind wil surely rip d whirlwind
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by omenziate(m): 12:34pm On Nov 02, 2012
To hell with Amnesia International, where were they when boko haram were commiting their heinous crimes? Terrorism is an act of war and in war , we are bound to have casualties and some will b collateral damage. Can Nigeria accurately give a figure of hw many pple Boko haram has senselessly killed since its inception? Just sketchy figures here and there. JTF, kudos to u and wipe out any state dat continues to harbour dose scoundrels. No ideology, mores, canon, religion or doctrine should b bigger than a country.
Make I go drink chilled palmy and isi ewu jare.
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 02, 2012
omenziate: To hell with Amnesia International,

You can say that again: Amnesia on an International level . .
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by kawkab: 12:38pm On Nov 02, 2012
Perhaps Amnesty International should conduct a detailed research on the number of soldiers and policemen that have been killed by Boko Haram. They should also extend their study to include the number of schools destroyed, market places burnt and Ibo businessmen that have been killed since the insurgency started.

Further more Amnesty International should take a statistics of the number of churches destroyed and worshipers killed. The effect of their action on the major cities in Northern Nigeria such as Kaduna, Kano, Potiskum (total destruction of the largest cattle market in west africa), Jos etc.

After this study they would have a rethink of their opinion of the JTF
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by bashwaziri: 12:39pm On Nov 02, 2012
Kayusfity: IT'S A PITY ALL THE COMMENTS ABOVE ARE WRITTEN BY F.OOLS.

You think they (Amnesty International) are fools? Just because u are sleeping soundly on ur bed peacefully u don't have any idea what some ppl are goin tru. In the report, Amnesty condenmed BH's act. But the very security forces that ought to protect the masses are torturing, killin, maiming and raping innocent civilians. Currently, if u are a youth in Maiduguri or Damaturu, ur chances of surviving the day is minimal, coz the military are haunting them like fowls! Its one of the worst human right violation and atrocity! Assuming in stay in that axis or lose a family or friend you wld understand what it is like to be terrorized by the stupid military Zombies!

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by bashwaziri: 12:40pm On Nov 02, 2012

You think they (Amnesty International) are fools? Just because u are sleeping soundly on ur bed peacefully u don't have any idea what some ppl are goin tru. In the report, Amnesty condenmed BH's act. But the very security forces that ought to protect the masses are torturing, killin, maiming and raping innocent civilians. Currently, if u are a youth in Maiduguri or Damaturu, ur chances of surviving the day is minimal, coz the military are haunting them like fowls! Its one of the worst human right violation and atrocity! Assuming u stay in that axis or lose a family or friend you wld understand what it is like to be terrorized by the stupid military Zombies!

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 02, 2012
We will see how WISE you become when Boko haram wipes out ur family members in a bomb attack
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by AkinDavid2: 1:01pm On Nov 02, 2012
And what will they accuse BH of?.. People living in and around this area are really in big time trouble because they afraid of saying the truth about BH hideouts. I hope this whole thing will end and Government will not yield sheepishly to BH demands for truce angry
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by knotty(m): 1:10pm On Nov 02, 2012
Arm wrestling should shut up.
This is an unfair and unwarranted war
In such wars, nothing is fair, nothing is decent
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:12pm On Nov 02, 2012
quid:

Perhaps it was not politically correct for Amnesty to speak up when boko was murdering innocent people.

I don't think we need this type of political correctness now.

It is such diplomatic hesitation that has cost the lives of millions of innocent, helpless african in conflict areas over the past 3 decades.

The African Union also exhibits this devious poignant hesitation when human lives are involved. which is why after so many years it was not Africa that was responsible for the capture and incarceration of Africa's Warlords, it was the West when it serves their interests. AI is simply makign noise because Boko-Haram is really a small fry they can afford to flex their inactive muscles. the International Community does not give a damn about Boko-Haram or other terrorist groups in Nigeria.. which makes it the best time for the Federal Government to crush them with impunity as Bh have clearly demonstrated over the past 5 years

1 Like

Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by HAH: 1:17pm On Nov 02, 2012
bashwaziri:

You think they (Amnesty International) are fools? Just because u are sleeping soundly on ur bed peacefully u don't have any idea what some ppl are goin tru. In the report, Amnesty condenmed BH's act. But the very security forces that ought to protect the masses are torturing, killin, maiming and raping innocent civilians. Currently, if u are a youth in Maiduguri or Damaturu, ur chances of surviving the day is minimal, coz the military are haunting them like fowls! Its one of the worst human right violation and atrocity! Assuming in stay in that axis or lose a family or friend you wld understand what it is like to be terrorized by the stupid military Zombies!
you are on point my brother, to be honest the atrocity by the JTF is far more than that of BH so that makes them same , and for the affected people. who are innocent with this indicment by amnesty international they have a good ground to take their case to the international criminal court. since we all know that our courts or government cannot do anything about that.
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by texazzpete(m): 1:21pm On Nov 02, 2012
I cannot believe the sheer imbecility of most of the people who have posted here.

Boko haram is a bloodthirsty, evil terrorist group annd amnesty interntional have rightly condemned that movement. However, it does not take anything away from the VERY DISTURBING fact that the people paid to protect you and i are indiscriminately killing and torturing people, many of them innocent.

i know this is Nigeria and you cowardly scumbags have long since learnt to accept your fate in bovine docility...but many of us still remain outraged that it is very likely that an illiterate Policeman will gun you down - you with all your fancy degrees - and nothing will happen.

You thrice accursed m0r0ns don't realize how big this issue is. Every year, uncountable number of Nigerians are killed by police/mopol/JTF and nothing happens. if this will add to the push for this Govt to finally take a bold step to crack down on the extra-judicial killings by members of our law enforcement agencies, i'm all for it.

5 Likes

Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by dvic(m): 1:25pm On Nov 02, 2012
the crime is committed by the both side
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by livethinme: 1:30pm On Nov 02, 2012
texazzpete: I cannot believe the sheer imbecility of most of the people who have posted here.

Boko haram is a bloodthirsty, evil terrorist group annd amnesty interntional have rightly condemned that movement. However, it does not take anything away from the VERY DISTURBING fact that the people paid to protect you and i are indiscriminately killing and torturing people, many of them innocent.

i know this is Nigeria and you cowardly scumbags have long since learnt to accept your fate in bovine docility...but many of us still remain outraged that it is very likely that an illiterate Policeman will gun you down - you with all your fancy degrees - and nothing will happen.

You thrice accursed m0r0ns don't realize how big this issue is. Every year, uncountable number of Nigerians are killed by police/mopol/JTF and nothing happens. if this will add to the push for this Govt to finally take a bold step to crack down on the extra-judicial killings by members of our law enforcement agencies, i'm all for it.

dnt mind them jor..

If something about Military/police abuses were posted, then all these people would be up in arms..but a 'western' NGO points the same thing out and they condemn Amnesty?..Bunch of hypocrites.
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by livethinme: 1:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
Also im shocked that ppl here are saying..its okay what the military is doing since its collateral..
And these are the same people saying oh could you imagine if BH burnt down ur church, well yeah..could you imagine if the military took your son, made him lie down on the road and shot him for no reason?
Do ppl here get brain oo?
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by aryzgreat: 1:43pm On Nov 02, 2012
wia was amnesty when 13 anambra men were assasinated by boko in mubi? where was amnesty when catholic churches were been bombed every xmas and sundays including other churches? is church now Govt? y leave govt and attack christians? f-u-c-k Amnesty!
Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by Godmann(m): 1:44pm On Nov 02, 2012
[size=15pt]While all sensible Nigerians must condemn Boko Haram; We must note the following.

Every day ordinary northerner is not a supporter of Boko Haram.

Today, the Nigerian state with Criminals in charge, counting from the Presidency to the local government councilors in its incompetency have massacred thousands of innocent Nigerians in the fight against Boko Haram. Every Honest Soul must be preserved.

It is true that an average Southerner is less bordered by the Killing of thousands of Northern youths, the same way the northers refused to be bordered when Southerners were killed.

This pure Tribalism will get all of us from either of the divide no where.

We will all continually indulge in kill-me-I-kill-you that will keep our nation perpetually down.

Amnesty International is an unbiased umpire that has said the truth as it shall be here.

To hell with the criminals that rule us as a people; the earlier we get rid of them, the better for all of us
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Abuses. by na2day(m): 1:44pm On Nov 02, 2012
I sometimes wonder at the rationale of an average Nigerian!
No one is excusing Boko haram but for the security agents to pursue an agenda of "It's better for a thousand innocent to die,rather than one guilty escaping judgment"
It might work in a longer run but it creates lots of broken men and broken minds, also, enough fodders for recruitment for the next insurgency!
Of course, let the guilty be punished but by all means, stop punishing all for the sins of the few!

(1) (2) (Reply)

INEC To Inspect APC National Secretariat Today / Vacate The South, Asari-dokubo’s Group Ask Northerners / Breaking! Another Protest Hit Aba As Traders Began To Hoist Biafra Flags In Shop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.