Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,443 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Tony Elumelu Slavery Master - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tony Elumelu Slavery Master (3974 Views)

We Know Its Corporate Slavery, Yet We Stay / Tony Elumelu Story Inspires Mba Students / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by midep: 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2008
My fellow Nairalanders what am about telling you is nothing but the fact so i will appreciete a very meaning ful contribution.

TOE has fondly called by his disciples is a man with no heart at all, after he went to Polytechnic and graduated with Pass and later to University and graduated with 3rd class he still has the audacity to discriminate between the H.N.D and B.Sc wat an Irony of life. My annoyance is the new policy of other Banks not to recognise contact staff experience mainly pple frm UBA hw i wish the Nigerians wake up and fight this fight once and for all and this is very simple without us thier will not b them. NBTE shld mandate all polytechnic to stop Banking with UBA , NANS to instruct SUG, SUG to Department als, Departmentals to Associations and association to everyhousehold lets those who have relation stop Banking with the Evil Genius in the Banking SectorTONY ELUMELU and let see hw he can survive it. Our Gov also must wake up to thier responsibilities if they dont want the NIGERDELTA ISSUE to b in every part of the country cos a lazy hand they say is the devil workshop.

Lets make UBA cum TOE as an example for being the only Bank that discriminate btw the H.N.D and B.Sc. I herad frm a reliable source that the Senate called him to do sometin abt his contract staff and he cme out again with UBA SERVICES Na wa 4 dis GUY o abeg make una no allow him kill our pple in the slavery word.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by nellydlaw: 3:55pm On Jan 30, 2008
you are speaking in riddles, combining queen english with pidgin. young man, if UBA or TOE has done you wrong, move to another bank.NB, even if all the users on this forum stop banking with UBA, it would still remain the largest bank in Africa. there is a proverb that says that you cannot cut an iroko tree with one strike of a cutlass, it would take over a thousand strike to bring it down
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by papa202000: 5:11pm On Jan 30, 2008
Every human being now has 70yrs to live anything above that figure is an exta/grace .Forget about Elumelu or whatever u call the man.If God tourches the man he will have a change of mind.plenty pple are out there with HND and have achieved all that matter in this world.So why the "halaballu" I pray for his Good health and protection.UBA HND holders are not ur enemy.Many HND holders are still working directly/indirectly.So HND holders wait 4 ur time.Optimistically,ur time could be very closer.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by angelrita(f): 5:47pm On Jan 30, 2008
Nobody's destiny lies in the hands of a man but in God's palms.So no matter your grade develop yourself,believe in God and you will certainly get to your destination.Remeber,it is not of him that runneth or willeth but the Lord that showeth mercy.Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by midep: 5:50pm On Jan 30, 2008
Papa, Nelly or watever u call urself i need pple who face d reality of life to contribute nt pple like and 4 ur information am nt looking for Job, i have a VERY, VERY GD JOB at Hand and will also like to inform u dat am nt H.ND holder ! and nt lking 4 job in UBA.

Who told u UBA is d largest bnk in Africa , Oceanic Bank recently posted thier PAT the same day UBA did thiers, go and check the result and reconfirm ur falacious statement so my dear all d experience hand r leaving UBA to other competeting Banks thereby affecting thier Profit so my Dear u better SHUT UP if u dont knw d trends in the Banking Sector
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by IBCOM(m): 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2008
I agree with u midep, of all the banks in Nigeria UBA is one the worst in terms of welfare package for its staff,I mean for proffesional staffs (degree holders),not to talk of contract staffs (those with OND/HND). Although u still find contract staff in other banks and reliably I can tell u they dont get good pay,for instance in Bank PHB the difference in payment btw a proffessional staff and a contract staff is over 150%. which I believe is not fair,the annoying part is that this contract staff work tirelessly than some of the so called professional staff,especially those in operation. I am in the system and I know what it is like.
To cap it all,UBA seems to be the worst in welfare packages,because in recent times lots of its staffs have moved to Bank PHB.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by candlux: 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2008
I wonder wen we would do things rite in nigeria. 4 God sake!!! we are all human beings and should be treated as such.

nigerian companies are far behind wen it comes to staff package.I Only pray that better leaders of the corperate world would emerge.
No foreigner would build naija 4 us. We must learn to treat one another well. kip this at heart because few years from now the mantle of leadership in the various sector u find urself would be handed over to uuuuu. So pls use it wisely wen it's handed to u,

Candy boy!!!
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by poeticsoul: 9:46am On Jan 31, 2008
i blame all nigerians for the injustice that is being perpetrated. its the worse form of discrimination, and its worse still because its practiced on us by us.why should we condone all these, all in the name of job-hunting. if only we can stand and dont take it, but the few with few jobs will forsake us. isnt that why nigeria would move forward?so much greed,tribalism.what colour is love?what tribe is love?
the university degree has only one purpose in my opinion, it says you re teachable, it shouldnt e the basis of discrimination, is the standard of university education the same today as it was i our parents time? hell no, with the condidtions face, shouldn't some allowances be made?why should the native schoolers be treated as second class citizens in their own country? shouldnt it be us that get the preference?instead those that have foreign degrees are treated specially? its all crap and continues only because "YOU" allow it. stand for what you believe folks. you think i am being extreme? well look around you, look at the calibre of people controlling all those companies, the parastatals, nigeria as a whole,then pause and see if i am not right. Good day all!
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by gesture(m): 11:03am On Jan 31, 2008
IB.COM:

I agree with u midep, of all the banks in Nigeria UBA is one the worst in terms of welfare package for its staff,I mean for proffesional staffs (degree holders),not to talk of contract staffs (those with OND/HND). Although u still find contract staff in other banks and reliably I can tell u they don't get good pay,for instance in Bank PHB the difference in payment between a proffessional staff and a contract staff is over 150%. which I believe is not fair,the annoying part is that this contract staff work tirelessly than some of the so called professional staff,especially those in operation. I am in the system and I know what it is like.
To cap it all,UBA seems to be the worst in welfare packages,because in recent times lots of its staffs have moved to Bank PHB.

I am totally in support of what IB.COM said above.its only a pity that the few priviledge ones like Tony Elumelu have been making life difficult for Nigerians.infact Tony Elumelu is the modern slave master of our time.UBA should stop parading itself as the Africa Largest bank when they offer the worst welfare packages across the whole of Africa(fact from a reseach on Welfare packages for Bankers in African Banks).for your information, UBA is one of the least paid bank in the country and the issue of contract staff is tearing them part already but the modern slave master(Tony Elumelu) refuse to bulge on this after Senate had issue a warning to them about contract staff and welfare packages.

Papa20200
this is for you.I wouldt know if you are related to the modern slave master,else am amaze at the level of your support for him.I am very sure you are aware of the work like elephant and eat like an ant life of majority of UBA staff.its very cruel of you to support such.Nigeria is bless to the point where every citizen should live a very comfortable life.its the like of Tony Elumelu that is making Life difficult for people.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by hammers(m): 12:06pm On Jan 31, 2008
nellydlaw:

you are speaking in riddles, combining queen english with pidgin. young man, if UBA or TOE has done you wrong, move to another bank.NB, even if all the users on this forum stop banking with UBA, it would still remain the largest bank in Africa. there is a proverb that says that you cannot cut an iroko tree with one strike of a cutlass, it would take over a thousand strike to bring it down

Mr English Master.
            Did u forget to score d poor boy?
At least he was able to pass a message.
The point is the kind of discrimination faced by HND holders is just too much.
Mind you, No bank is strong without customers.
and by the way , who told you that UBA is the largest bank in Africa.
UBA aims to be Africa's sixth largest bank in Africa in 2010

According to the group MD and CEO of United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, Tony Elumelu, the Nigerian bank's ambition is to become the 6th largest bank in Africa by 2010, with long term plans to mature as the leading African bank.

Addressing the press on the bank's outstanding performance for financial year 2007, Elumelu stated that the impressive performance in the financial year is indicative of the bank's readiness to sustain its leadership of the Nigerian banking industry and successfully challenge for continental leadership in terms of scale and profitability.

The UBA group MD, who lamented the dearth of generational businesses among Africans, said UBA is ready to show that as well as being successful athletes, Africans can run successful global businesses as well.

He said the bank's record growth since the 2005 merger, attributing it to its hardworking employees. He explained further that the bank's balance sheet has had a cumulative average growth rate (CAGR) of 89% between 2005 and 2007, rising from N333bn in 2005 to N1.64bn in 2007. Deposit base, he explained has had a cumulative average growth rate of 86%, leaping from N205bn in 2005 to N872bn in 2007 while profit before tax was also on the high by 86% from N6.5bn in post merger to N29.5bn in 2007.

Responding to questions on how UBA's profitability could enliven the real sector of the economy, Elumelu said, “The challenges facing the real sector in Nigeria go beyond the narrow perspective of just providing capital. Capital is necessary but not the only ingredient for real sector growth. Infrastructure is key and that is why UBA's partnership with the China Development Bank will provide a veritable platform for infrastructure development, not just in Nigeria, but also in the rest of Africa.”

According to the UBA MD, the bank, in collaboration with the China Development Bank will identify and fund projects in key areas of the Nigerian economy such as energy, road and railways, oil & gas, among others.
[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]

To be frank, i am not an HND holder but the kind of treatment metted on polytechnic graduates in the banking industry most especially your darling UBA (with one of the worst remuneration in the industry)is saddening.

My friend no dey jump jump!!
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by afolabi236(m): 12:28pm On Jan 31, 2008
I THINK THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD DO SOMETHING FAST ON THE SAID ISSUE, IF THE LAW CREATE POLY, THEN WHY IS ALL THIS STUPIDITY FROM THOSE IN POWER CAN THEY BE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FORCE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TO RESPECT THE LAW .I STILL KNOW THAT WE HAVE GOOD IF NOT BETTER STUDENT FROM POLY.TOE YOU BETTER BE CAREFUL HISTORY CANT BE RE-WRITTING. THIS IS YOUR TIME ACT FOR THE GENERATION YET TO COME TO SPEAK WELLOF YOU . TIME OUT lipsrsealed
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by tijannydot(m): 12:50pm On Jan 31, 2008
In all honesty, why i will not criticise papa202000, is because i belive every person has his or her own view  to any particular discussion, but i will want  to state categorically that some md's are not making life easy for graduates while  some graduates are  not helping matters  too.
Not only tony elumelu made a third  class in the banking sector, there are 2 or more md's that  made third class too. But they forget easily how they started even though life was adaptable then. compare  to now that those working even can hardly fend  for themselves  not to talk of assisting the jobless ones.
i think the sector should   decentralize the opportunity by giving everybody a plane field of testing their abilities rather than believing in the certificate. while  some people (ladies) deserved the results, some were able  to sleep there way through.
and i personally believe that the certificate is  not the true representation of one's intelligence and  so many factors could contribute  to someone not making a 2-1 or draw.
In peroration, our undergraduates should be  conscentized on the importance of making a good grade and not  to be lackadaisical towards their programmes so as  to not only avert the descriminations from these so called mds but  to also contribute into making Nigeria a better place  for all.
''Who God has blessed, no man can cause''
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by rumours: 9:39pm On Jan 31, 2008
HND Holders. In my opinion, the best solution is to GANG up. Let's resusitate fratanity even after school and come after these captains of industry. Let's start hacking them down. One by one.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by 2dmax(m): 12:04pm On Aug 19, 2010
@rumours, i beg ur pardon? hack dem down? why?
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by Ife007(m): 1:10am On Aug 22, 2010
@Rumour

You won't kill me with Laughter.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by tkb417(m): 6:36pm On Aug 23, 2010
na wa
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:48am On Aug 27, 2010
THIS MAN THEY CALL ELUMELU IS AN EXPLOITER.
EXPLOITERY MANAGER STYLE
MODERN SLAVERY MANAGER
BANK STAFF CONTRACT SLAVERY MANAGER.
MANAGER THAT BELIEVE IN MODERN SLAVERY
MANAGER THAT BELIEVE THEY MUST KEEP THEIR FELLOW HUMAN BEING PERPEATUAL MODERN SLAVERY
MANAGER OF NO VALUE TO THE WORKFORCE ANY VALUE THEY ADD IS TOWARD THEIR SELFISH REASON
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by jango1: 9:58am On Aug 28, 2010
It's so sad to hear that even at modern times like this some companys still discriminate on reasons even the company's MD can not explain. I am also an HND holder, but in my company career paths are clearly marked out so descrimination is not an issue, the employee decides on which career path to tow and your choice will entirely be your own responsibility to either work smart and harder to become a top flyer or lazy about and remain at the bottom of the ladder irrespective of your degree/HND where applicable.

I have known Tony Elumelu in the early 90's when he was a manager in former Allstates trust bank at Trans-Amadi Port Harcourt, he was actually a very intelligent & a smart guy and i have had couple of one-on-one interactions with him then, but at that time i never noticed anything like any form of descrimination linked to him, because a couple of HND holders were directly under him and those of them that were had working, were on the top flyer list irrespective of the degree they posses, and even when he finally left Allstates trust bank for standard trust bank he took along most of the good hands both HND/BSc holders given everyone equal opportunity. Bankers holding HND/BSc were well paid and i envied them so much.

But my question now is WHERE did Tony pick up this ungodly attitude from, that he is now been labelled as a 'SLAVERY MASTER'? could it be a common practice within the banking industry? if so how can we change this mindset that people should be giving equal opportunities in whatever they aspire to do and a common tool should be used for assesment on both HND/degree counterparts. Sometimes why things are not working in this country is as a result of such descriminations cos an organisation that descriminates it's work force will certainly have a poor delivery. Tony Elumelu should take note.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by surxex: 10:50am On Aug 30, 2010
I never have any regard for UBA neither Elumelu. Cos d duo have no human feeling. I think poverty eradication shld start from UBA . Govt. Should luk into d contract staffing.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 06, 2010
the slave master stuff you are talking about is common to all banks in nigeria.all the contract staff have no career all they have is a job.alot of them will remain in that position for the nxt 10 yrs.while new recruits are promoted .the few that are absorbed into the system are connect people.

i believe Nigerian gradutes should learn to define themselves.Why accept the position of a contract staff wth no hope of promotion,the hardest jobs and the least paid and most disrespected staff of the bank.also note alot of these contract staff have HND and Bsc.I dnt think we have labour laws here and if we do to a large extent they are not enforced except when it affects the bigguns.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by AjanleKoko: 1:34pm On Sep 06, 2010
andromida:

the slave master stuff you are talking about is common to all banks in nigeria.all the contract staff have no career all they have is a job.alot of them will remain in that position for the nxt 10 yrs.while new recruits are promoted .the few that are absorbed into the system are connect people.

i believe Nigerian gradutes should learn to define themselves.Why accept the position of a contract staff wth no hope of promotion,the hardest jobs and the least paid and most disrespected staff of the bank.also note alot of these contract staff have HND and Bsc.I dnt think we have labour laws here and if we do to a large extent they are not enforced except when it affects the bigguns.

Nice post. I agree with a lot of it, especially the part about Nigerian graduates defining themselves. However, that's still a long way off, as the market provides few opportunities, and our educational system/culture seems to paint a picture of take-it-or-leave-it.

That said, it's up to us younger ones to refocus on what we want to achieve with our lives, rather than just doing the 'go to school, get any degree, and start looking for a job' routine. Doesn't work anymore.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 07, 2010
I just hope Nigerian Graduates will be able to think for themselves.i had a sis in this situation while graduates like herself were earning twice plus her sal in a mnth she was earning,she stayed in same position for like 3 yrs trained all the new recruits and they were her superiors.everyday she got home she complained of the poor treatment she received,the lack of recognition she received and how they had been deceiving them from the beginning they would make them permanent staffs but only connect people became permanent staff yet she was growing older and each day the job mkt age limit got dropped.She was a very angry person and this is because she was an ambitious person gave her best and expected to be rewarded in form of a promotion or something.

I advised her this is what you get when you condition yourself to believe there is no job.Quit if this job is making you into a bitter person dnt let anybody make you believe this is the best YOU can get.she quit.it wasnt easy but she went back to school funds was tight cos she is sponsoring herself with her savings but she felt good about what she is doing.Today she has a better job and recently started her own small biz wth a view to quitting her job anytime soon to concentrate on her business which she discovered is highly lucrative and pays her better than anyone can.
See sometimes your back is got to be against the wall just so you can think deeper.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by Ariyowilliams: 12:12pm On Apr 28, 2012
The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English like many others, defines ‘probation’ as a period of time, during which someone who has just started a job is tested to see whether they are suitable for what they are doing. By this definition, probation should be for a specified period of time. The question on the lips of some staff of United Bank for Africa (UBA) is, what meaning do the powers that be give to this word?

An ugly trend started in the bank that prides itself as Africa’s Global Bank last year when a set of freshers that were recruited in April 2011, having worked for the probationary period of 6 months, despite their confirmation were still said to be on probation. During the 6 months of probation, these set of staff were referred to as Executive Trainee on Probation (EToP) and months after their confirmation, they still remain EToP. This is fast becoming a norm in the bank as the subsequent batches of fresh employees are all victims of this obnoxious act.

Inquest reveals that on the confirmation letter issued to each of the staff, it was stated that “Following your satisfactory performance during the probationary period, Management is pleased to inform you that your appointment with the bank has been confirmed”. One begins to wonder the motive behind this if after confirmation, a staff is still said to be on probation.

Information has it that the Legal Department of the bank waded in, condemning the decision and advised the Human Resources Directorate to correct the but months after, nothing has been done on it.

In a bank like UBA where promotion is rare to come by, the fate of these helpless staff hang in the balance. The management of UBA should not because of the overpopulated labour market allow this injustice to stand for too long. A motivated staff is a dedicated staff.
Re: Tony Elumelu Slavery Master by Ariyowilliams: 7:04pm On Apr 28, 2012
The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English like many others, defines ‘probation’ as a period of time, during which someone who has just started a job is tested to see whether they are suitable for what they are doing. By this definition, probation should be for a specified period of time. The question on the lips of some staff of United Bank for Africa (UBA) is, what meaning do the powers that be give to this word?

An ugly trend started in the bank that prides itself as Africa’s Global Bank last year when a set of freshers that were recruited in April 2011, having worked for the probationary period of 6 months, despite their confirmation were still said to be on probation. During the 6 months of probation, these set of staff were referred to as Executive Trainee on Probation (EToP) and months after their confirmation, they still remain EToP. This is fast becoming a norm in the bank as the subsequent batches of fresh employees are all victims of this obnoxious act.

Inquest reveals that on the confirmation letter issued to each of the staff, it was stated that “Following your satisfactory performance during the probationary period, Management is pleased to inform you that your appointment with the bank has been confirmed”. One begins to wonder the motive behind this if after confirmation, a staff is still said to be on probation.

Information has it that the Legal Department of the bank waded in, condemning the decision and advised the Human Resources Directorate to correct the but months after, nothing has been done on it.

In a bank like UBA where promotion is rare to come by, the fate of these helpless staff hang in the balance. The management of UBA should not because of the overpopulated labour market allow this injustice to stand for too long. A motivated staff is a dedicated staff.

(1) (Reply)

Mass And Massive Resignation Of Appointment Hits Intercontinental Bank / Career Opportunities In Interior Design / Chartered Institute Of Treasury Management In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.