Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,025 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:38 AM

Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them (17377 Views)

Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? / Jega Should Relocate To The South East/south South Before Things Go Awry! / Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by modicum: 12:05am On Nov 04, 2012
Has Chinua Achebe seen this picture?

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by UsamabinYamiri: 12:10am On Nov 04, 2012
A picture is worth more than a thousand words, but this "picture" is a still from a video of the Aburi Conference in Ghana at the start of the war.
I have seen the Video: Gowon was eating like a bushman while Ojukwu was careful not to eat anything.
Don't post misleading information!

24 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by UsamabinYamiri: 12:12am On Nov 04, 2012
Also standing next to Ojukwu is Lt Gen J A Ankrah, the Ghanian military strong man.
So yes I am sure Chinua Achebe has seen this.

4 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by tpia1: 4:39am On Nov 04, 2012
Neither of them looks happy.

Cant even begin to describe the ghanaian's expression.

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 5:03am On Nov 04, 2012
Two black "brothers" eating from the same plate - till, tribalism, nepotism, greed for power and control destroyed the "brotherhood." smh

Negroes are their own worst enemies! sad

12 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by chelseabmw(m): 5:29am On Nov 04, 2012
Are they eating jollof rice? Just kidding grin

But this pictures does not prove anything at all as I believe this picture was taken before the war

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by kunlekunle: 5:30am On Nov 04, 2012
Usama binYamiri: A picture is worth more than a thousand words, but this "picture" is a still from a video of the Aburi Conference in Ghana at the start of the war.
I have seen the Video: Gowon was eating like a bushman while Ojukwu was careful not to eat anything.
Don't post misleading information!

ojuku's hand was in a returning for another round position.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Agiliti(m): 5:32am On Nov 04, 2012
somebody should have been using a long spoon

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by AbdulAdam56(m): 5:42am On Nov 04, 2012
Old pix
Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by naptu2: 5:42am On Nov 04, 2012

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 5:53am On Nov 04, 2012
shymexx: Two black "brothers" eating from the same plate - till, tribalism, nepotism, greed for power and control destroyed the "brotherhood." smh

Negroes are their own worst enemies! sad

its soo shamefull you are the only one using this nNegroes evrywhere on nl internet that can be searched and how funny you claim you live in england. Atimes i wonder if you really understand what it means and how country like america and co are trying hard to get ride of the word. you may be using it wit the thought dat u re right jst because you re black! thats not true there are people who really pass thru it and some of them still alive. Respect them!! even most site dont let ppl use it! if this was yahoo and you use it, you will have so much thumbs down that the word will be hidden! it shows you shld never use it no matter what! same thing with kkk etc. i know this is long and out of topic but i have seen you use that word many times here, a word you never pass thru neigther do ur great grand father!! if you are so angry or mad about nigeria, yoi can put ur finger on the keyboard and type monkeys or illitrates etc i promise u its more annoying though thats only what weak ppl like u can offer the country.

45 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by tpia1: 5:54am On Nov 04, 2012
i'm surprised people are able to joke about this picture.

do either of the people involved look like they're enjoying the situation?

and as someone explained- the photo was taken during the aburi conference.

i assume we all know what that was?

the thread title is extremely misleading and erroneous.

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 5:55am On Nov 04, 2012
Read more here.

In the Chapter "Cradle of Nigerian Nationalism", he tries to cast the Yoruba Leader, Chief Alowolo as a tribal leader who reunited his ancient Yoruba people "with a powerful glue of resuscitated ethnic pride, hence creating the "Action Group" political party that reduced the dominance of the Igbo dominated NCDC. The irony here is that Achebe sees no problem with the NCDC being Igbo dominated while he complains about the Action Group being Yoruba dominated. This double standards is not a recipe for national reconciliation.

In the same chapter, while calling Alowolo's Action group a tribal party, he says, without any misgivings, that it also galvanized support from not only the Yoruba, but also the Riverline and minority groups in the Niger delta who "dreaded the prospects of Igbo political domination". This proves two points. That the Action Party was not an exclusive Yoruba tribal party like the NCDC was becoming. Second, that the Riverline and Minority eastern Tribes "dreaded" the prospect of Igbo domination. So the Igbo's are starting to look, not like the poor victims, but a ruthless tribe that will dominate others with impunity. Again, Mr Achebe's biased, pro-igbo views will not improve unity in Nigeria.

Mr Achebe displays his scewed and totally wrong position by saying he was "dismayed" by a 1966 publication called "The Nigerian Situation: Facts and Background", which demonstrated the complete unfairness existing in Nigeria where 45% of managers were Igbo, over 50% of the posts in Nigerian Railways, over 70% of posts in Nigeria Ports Authority and foreign service were occupied by Igbos. Remember the Igbos account for only 18% of Nigeria's total Nigerian population.

[b]In the Chapter "The Army", Mr Achebe again tries to minimize the "Igbo Coup" led by Major Nzeogwu saying that it was actually not an "Igbo coup". He tries to deny that Major Nzeogwu was an Igbo, saying that he was born in Kaduna (north) and spoke fluent Hausa and wore northern traditional dress. That did not stop him from massacring Northern and Western leaders like Sir Ahmadu Bello. Achebe also claims that the coup was stopped by General Aguiyi-Ironsi, an Igbo. However, he continues to note that General Ironsi refused to court martial the coup plotters and transfered them East where they were eventually released by Ojukwu. So Ironsi is not as non-tribal and fair as Mr Achebe tries to portray him.

After trying to minimize the "Igbo Coup", Mr Achebe goes all the way to condemn the resulting "counter coup" by northern officers to revenge the "Igbo Coup". He says the killing of General Ironsi and Fajuyi were part of a larger and bloody coup led by the northern General Murtala Mohamed. This kind of double standard is not lost on anyone. Once again, Mr Achebe fails by trying to unfairly promote his tribe and minimize their failings while maximizing their opponents failings. This will not result in a unified Nigeria[/b].

https://www.nairaland.com/1092925/achebe-got-it-all-wrong

11 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by nyabingi(m): 6:15am On Nov 04, 2012
Ojukwu did not just come back from Ghana after the Aburi accord and then declared for Biafra, there was an agreement in Ghana and Gowon after returning to Nigeria refused to meet his own part of the agreement. the same confederated state is what a lot of politicians irrespective of tribes and regions are clamoring for today...the clamor for a sovereign national conference and true federalism points to this assertions!!

9 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by ghettodreamz(m): 6:19am On Nov 04, 2012
Teacher: Ghettodreamz
Ghettodreamz: Present Ma! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 6:24am On Nov 04, 2012
Toaskarity:
its soo shamefull you are the only one using this nNegroes evrywhere on nl internet that can be searched and how funny you claim you live in england. Atimes i wonder if you really understand what it means and how country like america and co are trying hard to get ride of the word. you may be using it wit the thought dat u re right jst because you re black! thats not true there are people who really pass thru it and some of them still alive. Respect them!! even most site dont let ppl use it! if this was yahoo and you use it, you will have so much thumbs down that the word will be hidden! it shows you shld never use it no matter what! same thing with kkk etc. i know this is long and out of topic but i have seen you use that word many times here, a word you never pass thru neigther do ur great grand father!! if you are so angry or mad about nigeria, yoi can put ur finger on the keyboard and type monkeys or illitrates etc i promise u its more annoying though thats only what weak ppl like u can offer the country.

I can't believe this ignorant and stupid post got two likes - are you dumb or something?? Not surprised, anyway - the average IQ of Nigerians is 69! undecided

NEGRO is different from N.IGGER, cu.nt!

NEGRO means a black person!!! NI.GGER is the derogatory for black people - peep the difference, prick....

Let's just accept that you have an IQ lower than that of a toad, but if you've got eyes - you would know that there's a NLer called; Negro_ntns... If the word "Negro" were to be a derogatory word, I doubt someone as knowledgeable as Chief Negro_ntns would have used it as his handle....

Do Nigerians even read at all? - some of the comments on NL are just plain stupid... undecided

11 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by lovetterrison(m): 6:25am On Nov 04, 2012
wetin consine me ,9ja is so long pregnant e neva still born pikin ..i dey my china dey drink my pijiu..
Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 04, 2012
Toaska-dummy

Let me break it down for you:

Negro - Negroid - Black Person....

Go back to elementary school and take those liking your comment with you on your way there...

We need to salvage the borderline retar.d like IQ of Nigerians! grin

3 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by lekkie073(m): 6:47am On Nov 04, 2012
shymexx:

I can't believe this ignorant and stupid post got two likes - are you dumb or something?? Not surprised, anyway - the average IQ of Nigerians is 69! undecided

NEGRO means a black person!!! NI.GGER is the derogatory for black people - peep the difference, prick....

Let's just accept that you have an IQ lower than that of a toad, but if you've got eyes - you would know that there's a NLer called; Negro_ntns... If the word "Negro" were to be a derogatory word, I doubt someone as knowledgeable as Chief Negro_ntns would have used it as his handle....

Do Nigerians even read at all? - some of the comments on NL are just plain stupid... undecided
i suspect u and negro_ntns are related. whats ur own IQ, mr know_it_all?

6 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by eazysally: 6:49am On Nov 04, 2012
[quote author=shymexx]

Do Nigerians even read at all? - some of the comments on NL are just plain stupid... undecidedMr man or Mr shame u dear not insult us here who told u we don't have IQ are u sure u are a Nigeria? Mr know it all, with 100% IQ u don't jst pick up ur device jst u are privilege to have one and u can type to insult us here on NL...take ur uncultured attitude to the street of ur exiled country and tell them dat trash u dump ass olodo!!!

6 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Gombs(m): 6:52am On Nov 04, 2012
shymexx:

Amadioha Dowa gi onu...If I were beside u,I wud hav slapped u to stupor...u r a perfect blueprint of a re.tard...Stuuuuupid Nkita ara. Nigerians dnt read yet u bring u fermented brain to a Nigerian site!..wawa,mumu,Ode...idiat

11 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by killuminati(m): 6:56am On Nov 04, 2012
Ojukwu is smoking in the conference.
Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 04, 2012
eazysally: Mr man or Mr shame u dear not insult us here who told u we don't have IQ are u sure u are a Nigeria? Mr know it all, with 100% IQ u don't jst pick up ur device jst u are privilege to have one and u can type to insult us here on NL...take ur uncultured attitude to the street of ur exiled country and tell them dat trash u dump Bottom olodo!!!

Bwahahaha - I'm just playing with Nigerians... However, truth be told - most Nigerians are ridiculously unintelligent...

How can someone curse me out for saying using "Negro" to describe black people? Saying "Negro" is an offensive word is like saying "caucasian" is an offensive word...

I'm insulting Nigerians, I'm just admonishing you guys to read more - and stop crying foul about everything... I don't know who's dumber, the clown who made the assertion - or the fools who liked his ignorant comment.. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by aribisala0(m): 6:58am On Nov 04, 2012
What exactly is a "bushman" and what does it mean to "eat like a bushman". The level of Colonial dispossession is really unfathomable !
I suppose eating like a bushman means eating in a way that Europeans would not approve
Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 04, 2012
Gombs:

Amadioha Dowa gi onu...If I were beside u,I wud hav slapped u to stupor...u r a perfect blueprint of a re.tard...Stuuuuupid Nkita ara. Nigerians dnt read yet u bring u fermented brain to a Nigerian site!..wawa,mumu,Ode...idiat

Bwahahahahahahhaha

It seems you want your hands amputated smh....

I'll chop off your filthy hands and feed them to my dogs... undecided

Stick to the topic, mate!
Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by aribisala0(m): 7:02am On Nov 04, 2012
Negro is considered derogatory in virtually all standard English dictionaries.
Nigerians do not read at all.Except,of course,The Great You!

5 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Gombs(m): 7:04am On Nov 04, 2012
killuminati: Ojukwu is smoking in the conference.

"Was" u mean?..tink ǖя̩̥̊ post supposed to be "Ojukwu was smoking at the Conference?" In which case if ǖя̩̥̊ question is rhetorical,then I'll pass, but if not,I'd recommend u ask Google.#nooffenceintendedpls
Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 04, 2012
shymexx:

I never intend to insult you but i think you will deserve some now. Now nobody here doesnt know its a word refering to blacks ("ancient Latin, niger, 'black', probably from a Proto-Indo-European root *nekw-, 'to be dark', akin to *nokw- 'night') but then what is the mystery behind it years ago that i believe you dont really know!! you see atleast even my dad that dint finsh high school are way smarter than you talkmore of NL that can read and type, one thing is certain you are nothing but a poor peckham tout, i sense what you do there is to wash plates and with free internet service provided by the queen then you can type trash to gain popularity! i promise the only ppl that hail you here are nothing but plate washers like you!
NB: please anytime in ur life(if ever you will) maybe visit the USA, go to black hood and scream your NEGRO words with pride to older generation, i promise you after a brief brutality and uppercut even your nairalands dream girls wont recognise you again!! eeediottttttttttttt

15 Likes

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Gombs(m): 7:09am On Nov 04, 2012
shymexx:

Bwahahahahahahhaha

It seems you want your hands amputated smh....

I'll chop off your filthy hands and feed them to my dogs... undecided

Stick to the topic, mate!

So u finally got to knw u derailed d thread with ǖя̩̥̊ Negro horsepoo?I chop off ǖя̩̥̊ head n giv it to Okija shrine...PS:we're not mates...am a nigerian,not a Brit
Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 04, 2012
shymexx:

one like ! i bet that must be your only glorious knowledgeable chief or else maybe your other moniker, i heard you have two

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 04, 2012
shymexx:

Bwahahaha - I'm just playing with Nigerians... However, truth be told - most Nigerians are ridiculously unintelligent...

How can someone curse me out for saying using "Negro" to describe black people? Saying "Negro" is an offensive word is like saying "caucasian" is an offensive word...

I'm insulting Nigerians, I'm just admonishing you guys to read more - and stop crying foul about everything... I don't know who's dumber, the clown who made the assertion - or the fools who liked his ignorant comment.. undecided

stop been stuuuuuupid! Respect the people that pass through it!! nobody says you shldnt use it but respect them if nothing atall for the fact that some still live till today! neigther do your father or ur grand father who must have been in africa with 10 wives dint pass from their sufferings. I know you wont accept your wrong just to keep high profile nonsense!
goodnight i gotta go to church inthe morning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Buhari Campaign Organization Fraudulently Used Pseudo Companies - Leadersng / Gunmen Attack Iboko Police Station In Ebonyi / Edrian Idida Osegie: EFCC Holds Vigil At High Court In Lagos To Arrest Suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.